• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think the Lions would surprise everyone and take Chance Warmack at 5 here. The whole "Don't ever draft a guard in the top 10!!!!" crap is gone thanks to the new rookie wage scale and he'd be a HUGE help in the run game, something Detroit desperately needs to shine offensively. I've heard most analysts say the two guards (Cooper and Warmack) are easily the best players in this draft.

I wouldn't be unhappy with Milliner, though. He's big, fast, and reliable at a position of need. Ansah being the pick will have me throwing a remote into a wall.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Are you sure Milliner is the top CB? I have paid no attention to the top guys since STL will only draft for depth, but seems like the Houston guy is at the top of some people's CB list

Are you talking about Chris Houston, the Lions current #1 DB? He's our current #1, and solid BTW, but our depth is terrible at DB.

Drafting Dee would move Chris to #2 DB, or put Dee at #2. Either way it adds much needed talent and depth to the DB position.

As for who the #1 DB is in the current draft I know there is some debate. But from the games I saw of Dee at Alabama, and the SportsScience special on ESPN, show me at the very least he has God-given athletic ability over the other DBs, IMO.

Watching him react to an out-route on the SportsScience special convinced me we have to have him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rQ81bZV7TY&t=1m23s

I think the Lions would surprise everyone and take Chance Warmack at 5 here. The whole "Don't ever draft a guard in the top 10!!!!" crap is gone thanks to the new rookie wage scale and he'd be a HUGE help in the run game, something Detroit desperately needs to shine offensively. I've heard most analysts say the two guards (Cooper and Warmack) are easily the best players in this draft.

I wouldn't be unhappy with Milliner, though. Ansah being the pick will have me throwing a remote into a wall.

Yup, agreed on Warmack as well. Rumors are pointing to the Lions possibly trading back and taking Warmack, or even taking him at #5. I wouldn't be disapointed with either, but I'd much prefer Dee Milliner.

There is no way the Lions take Ansah or any DE at #5 if Dion Jordan is gone.

Colasante

I think DJ Hayden is a better cornerback than Dee Milliner, but yeah, with the bias against non-SEC conferences and his freak injury, I can't see any way that Hayden comes off the board before Milliner. And Milliner is a really good cornerback anyway, I think he'd be a great pick for the Lions.

I would love this idea. Especially if the Lions can trade down and get a few extra picks as well.

I have faith that they won't screw up this draft.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I would love this idea. Especially if the Lions can trade down and get a few extra picks as well.

I have faith the first pick will be good and Mayhew will blow the 2nd pick again. He hasn't been great after the first round.

Trading down would be fantastic because they could still take Cooper but I don't see it happening. You have to have another team willing to move up and I don't see it happening this year.

jakncoke

Banned
Revis is happy with the new contract he will receive from the Buccaneers. Plus, with no state income tax in Florida, Revis now will pay less in state tax from the Buccaneers than the $538,200 he would have had he remained with the Jets on his $6 million salary in New Jersey this season.

This is funny.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

I honestly have full faith in Martin Mayhew as our GM. He's made a lot of great moves, and his first move was fleecing the Cowboys for a 1st and a 3rd for Roy Williams. In that draft we got Stafford and Pettigrew (TE). He then drafted Suh and Jahvid Best. Next year went with Nick Fairley and Titus Young. Last year goes with Riley Reiff at #22 (or so?) which was a great pick IMO.

While Titus Young and Jahvid Best haven't panned out for different reasons, those two were expentionally gifted football players and athletes like Mayhew once was. He is a very smart GM when it comes to putting up smoke screens and making smart moves.

Essentially Martin Mayhew is exactly the opposite of Matt Millen (cursed be thy name).

I have faith the first pick will be good and Mayhew will blow the 2nd pick again. .

Titus Young and Jahvid Best were two amazing players. One had injury issues, the other had mental issues. It's a shame they didn't pan out, but Titus Young on meds is a #1 WR on at least 1/3 of NFL teams and Jahvid Best was unfuckingbelievable. All NFL fans missed out on greatness with Jahvid going down.

squicken

Drafting guard is very intriguing. I think the best player left is Cooper, who I think is better than Warmack. I think the difference between Cooper and Warmakc is much greater than the difference between Ziggy and the next best DE. Like I said, I can't offer much on the CBs.

I almost think Warmack makes more sense for DET b/c they really need someone who can help them run the ball, but I have no idea if Linehan will commit to that

Draxal

Drafting guard is very intriguing. I think the best player left is Cooper, who I think is better than Warmack. I think the difference between Cooper and Warmakc is much greater than the difference between Ziggy and the next best DE. Like I said, I can't offer much on the CBs.

I almost think Warmack makes more sense for DET b/c they really need someone who can help them run the ball, but I have no idea if Linehan will commit to that

I hope Warmack's stock keeps on dropping, Giants will have to trade up infront of the boys to pick him, though.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

That's what kind of confuses me. O-line help is always great, but I think we can get some depth in the lower rounds. I'm really not sure what Mayhew is trying to do, but he is signaling he may take Warmack is he's there at #5 OVER Milliner.

It's hard to read Mayhew, but thats what makes him great at the same time if you've followed his moves since he took over.

Whether its robbing Jerry Jones, or trading up to get Jahvid Best or taking Nick Fairley when we already had Suh.

Part of the GM game is throwing your division rivals and opponents off target and I think he may be doing that as a way to trade down and garner more picks.

But what team trades up to #5 and why? Would they trade up to #5 to grab Dee Milliner if he is available? I doubt anyone trades up to #5 to grab Geno Smith.

Colasante

That's what kind of confuses me. O-line help is always great, but I think we can get some depth in the lower rounds. I'm really not sure what Mayhew is trying to do, but he is signaling he may take Warmack is he's there at #5 OVER Milliner.

It's hard to read Mayhew, but thats what makes him great at the same time if you've followed his moves since he took over.

Whether its robbing Jerry Jones, or trading up to get Jahvid Best or taking Nick Fairley when we already had Suh.

Part of the GM game is throwing your division rivals and opponents off target and I think he may be doing that as a way to trade down and garner more picks.

But what team trades up to #5 and why? Would they trade up to #5 to grab Dee Milliner if he is available? I doubt anyone trades up to #5 to grab Geno Smith.

The Dolphins and Falcons are two cornerback-needy teams that could potentially trade up to #5 to take Dee Milliner before the Browns.

Draxal

We seem to be all over the place with DET. Ziggy, Warmack, Milliner, Hayden?

My choice is Warmack, just on a BPA+fit

Milliner's the choice for me.

Guard isn't a premium position, CB is, DE is even more so.

There are good dbs in this draft and there's a good amount of des and guard in this draft that aren't great but obtainable in the late first early second.

Ansah's really good but super raw, Milliner steps in and fills a huge hole for the Lions.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
We seem to be all over the place with DET. Ziggy, Warmack, Milliner, Hayden?

My choice is Warmack, just on a BPA+fit

Well, like Colasante pointed out the Falcons need a DB, and we robbed Chris Houston from the Falcons two years back for a 5th round pick.

If we stay at #5 and Milliner is available we'll take Milliner. There is a small chance we take Warmack, but I think we could trade down and take Warmack at #9-15. It's 50/50 going by the rumors.

No way in hell does Mayhew take Ziggy Ansah or Hayden at #5.

squicken

I'm sort of with colasante here, just b/c there are more DBs than good DEs in the draft. But I'm going to defer here. Hopefully more chime in. I've got to run in a bit so this will be the last one for awhile

Wes

venison crêpe
Whilst I have nothign against taking Warmack at #5 they'll get absolutely blasted in the media for takign a guard that high. I just can'e see them doing it. I have to think they go Ziggy Ansah unless they decide to go outside the box with Lane Johnson. Someone has to keep that big ol' Fort upright.

Fantomex

FEEERNAAAANNNDDDOOOOOO!

Look at it this way, since I've been rooting for him, he hasn't won a championship. I'm cursed! I'm the new Kave_Man now that his teams are making the playoffs :(.

Let me put it this way, I wouldn't mind trading secondaries with you.

They should draft a tackle, but the 2 guys that you can take at 4 are gone, so I think I join the vast majority here and go with Jordan. Kelly knows what he can do, and can probably use him best way possible.

I forbid you from rooting for Nando. Him and Hamilton are my favorite drivers. Root for Vettel.

La Canfora posits some rumors that Jets will go after both Tavon Austin and Geno Smith with the two first rounders:

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 4m

Wrote last week about sense among some execs Jets could target WVU's Austin and Smith two 2 1st rnd picks post Revis trade. We'll see

Bucs finally correct their mistake of passing on Jonathan Joseph 2 years ago. Great move. There was zero chance Milner would fall to the Bucs in the first round so it was really the only move they could make. I still dont like Wright as a starting corner though. Even if Revis plays is singled up so Wright can have help I still dont like him starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom