• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait until Belichick and Co. show the Dolphins you can't just overpay a bunch of role players and a good receiver to win divisions.

Bucs will be the best team in Florida within 1-2 years. Calling it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'd like the phins to trade their 1st, 2nd and a 5thh for the #5 pick. But teams wil want waaaay more.

This is my dream scenario as a Lions fan. Mayhew would take that in a second.

Godslay

Banned
There is only one dreamteam this year and its the Ravens! I've said it before and I'll say again, you can only be a dreamteam if a player confirms it, aka Vince Young. This year it was Arthur Jones who proclaimed them a dreamteam.

Can't wait until Belichick and Co. show the Dolphins you can't just overpay a bunch of role players and a good receiver to win divisions.

How many Dolphins games did you watch last year, mister expert? The team has 11 draft picks, it isn't like they're relying entirely on free agency. Philbin and Ireland are both proponents of building through the draft, but you've got to do something with 40 million in cap space.

Well it's not like there are a bunch of elite QBs out there to draft/sign/develop. Not everyone can luck into Tom Brady.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
La Canfora posits some rumors that Jets will go after both Tavon Austin and Geno Smith with the two first rounders:

Haven't decided if that's a buttfumble or not. I mean for the Jets that's a huge improvement over giving Sanchez a ridiculous extension. I would take an unknown quantity over Sanchez and Tavon Austin is the best WR in this class.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Are there any cant-miss prospects coming down the line? Don't follow college football much!

Clowney.

Also would rather see Manziel or Bridgewater. I don't watch a ton of college football but both guys seem like they're miles better than Geno.

Jets should be operating this season to get themselves a top 5 pick next year anyway.

I've never seen this before. I'm glad you posted it. :fox
You're very welcome. It should be posted more!

/rors

naw, I forgot the NFL-GAFfer who usually says that.
Passing on Marino or selecting a fullback in the first. Which part is your favorite?
I know people say Marino but the best to me is when Sapp was freefalling in the draft due to a bogus drug charge. Jets could've had a guaranteed star DE ... and instead took tight end Kyle Brady.

Holy shit my brother (huge Jets fan since the early 80's) nearly flatlined right then and there.

Godslay

Banned

I'm not buying it. Freeman is starting to look like he's not the guy, whereas the verdict is still out on Tannehill. If Freeman isn't the guy, the Bucs are going to be stuck in mediocrity. Same with the Dolphins with Tannehill, but he's at the beginning of that period so it's more up in the air.

In addition to that look at the divisions, Falcons, Saints (who should be better this year), and Panthers. Bucs will struggle to be 2nd in the division, placing them in a 3rd spot most likely. The Dolphins on the other hand, are clearly in the 2nd spot due to having to face the Bills and Jets.

Even with that all said, it's still just on paper, but Dolphins should be the best team in FL in the coming years, assuming Tannehill develops into a decent QB.

Dolphins may have overpaid a bit on their acquisitions, but it's not like the Bucs haven't done that before either. When you are a bottom dweller in your division, you have to overpay to get the talent to come to your team. Then once you start winning, guys will want to come to the squad. Pats have been lucky in that they have been a winning squad, and have a good QB, so guys will come more cheaply. That can quickly change and it will most likely when Brady can't play at the level he normally does. Circle of life and all that.

How many Dolphins games did you watch last year, mister expert? The team has 11 draft picks, it isn't like they're relying entirely on free agency. Philbin and Ireland are both proponents of building through the draft, but you've got to do something with 40 million in cap space.

Mr. Expert? Wow, fuck off.

Dude, how many of those draft picks do you expect to make an immediate impact within the next 1-2 seasons? They're extremely lucky to have two second/third round picks. For your sake, they better not waste them. There's a decent chance one or two of those guys will come in and make notable contributions immediately. Having the draft picks doesn't guarantee you'll make good picks with them. Provided the Dolphins make good on some of these extra picks and land some primetime players, they're going to have to restructure their rookie deals at some point and they're going to need cap space for that. It'll be tough to keep everyone around if the draft works out like you hope and the team suddenly has a surplus of stars. You're going to lose players in that mess, no doubt.

As far as free agency, most of Miami's impact signings are on the offensive side of the ball. They still have questions on defense (that a couple linebackers and a good defensive back are probably not going to solve right away) and they've yet to establish a successor to Reggie Bush.

I don't really get what your point is. Just because the Dolphins can afford to throw money around and draft a few extra players in the early rounds doesn't mean they're going to come out the gate putting New England in the dirt. It'll be a few years before Miami sorts everything out, but they're on the right path given their capacity to add players. It's not hard to be the second-best team in your division when you share it with Buffalo and New York.

@B for Bendetta
Truth. This is a pretty disappointing year for quarterbacks.

I'm not buying it. Freeman is starting to look like he's not the guy, whereas the verdict is still out on Tannehill. If Freeman isn't the guy, the Bucs are going to be stuck in mediocrity. Same with the Dolphins with Tannehill, but he's at the beginning of that period so it's more up in the air.

In addition to that look at the divisions, Falcons, Saints (who should be better this year), and Panthers. Bucs will struggle to be 2nd in the division, placing them in a 3rd spot most likely. The Dolphins on the other hand, are clearly in the 2nd spot due to having to face the Bills and Jets.

Even with that all said, it's still just on paper, but Dolphins should be the best team in FL in the coming years, assuming Tannehill develops into a decent QB.

Dolphins may have overpaid a bit on their acquisitions, but it's not like the Bucs haven't done that before either. When you are a bottom dweller in your division, you have to overpay to get the talent to come to your team. Then once you start winning, guys will want to come to the squad. Pats have been lucky in that they have been a winning squad, and have a good QB, so guys will come more cheaply. That can quickly change and it will most likely when Brady can't play at the level he normally does. Circle of life and all that.

Word. The part about Tampa Bay was a bit of a reach, lol. And yeah, overpaying/misjudging talent seems to be like the common cold down in the panhandle state, at least as far as football is concerned.

jakncoke

Banned
Mr. Expert? Wow, fuck off.

Dude, how many of those draft picks do you expect to make an immediate impact within the next 1-2 seasons? They're extremely lucky to have two second/third round picks. For your sake, they better not waste them. There's a decent chance one or two of those guys will come in and make notable contributions immediately. Having the draft picks doesn't guarantee you'll make good picks with them. Provided the Dolphins make good on some of these extra picks and land some primetime players, they're going to have to restructure their rookie deals at some point and they're going to need cap space for that. It'll be tough to keep everyone around if the draft works out like you hope and the team suddenly has a surplus of stars. You're going to lose players in that mess, no doubt.

As far as free agency, most of Miami's impact signings are on the offensive side of the ball. They still have questions on defense (that a couple linebackers and a good defensive back are probably not going to solve right away) and they've yet to establish a successor to Reggie Bush.

I don't really get what your point is. Just because the Dolphins can afford to throw money around and draft a few extra players in the early rounds doesn't mean they're going to come out the gate putting New England in the dirt. It'll be a few years before Miami sorts everything out, but they're on the right path given their capacity to add players. It's not hard to be the second-best team in your division when you share it with Buffalo and New York.

@B for Bendetta
Truth. This is a pretty disappointing year for quarterbacks.

Word. The part about Tampa Bay was a bit of a reach, lol. And yeah, overpaying/misjudging talent seems to be like the common cold down in the panhandle state, at least as far as football is concerned.

Hey mister expert how many games do you expect your bitch ass qb to chocha out of this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom