• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colasante

I'm not really a fan of the Dolphins' moves this offseason, and I think they massively overpaid for just about everyone they brought in, but I did like the Philip Wheeler signing and getting Wallace was a need, even if they did have to overpay him. Still, I think with a decent draft they can compete for a wild card spot.

I agree about the Bucs, though. There were times last season when they looked like the most explosive offense in the league. If they're able to wiggle their way into the playoffs and Schiano is able to corral Freeman into a Flacco-like bout of quality play, I don't see why they theoretically couldn't be legit Super Bowl contenders. Having said that, obviously, half the time last season Freeman looked like an utterly incompetent QB, so if he continues playing like shit the team will go nowhere. I love their moves this offseason though, so I'm rooting for them.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm not really a fan of the Dolphins' moves this offseason, and I think they massively overpaid for just about everyone they brought in, but I did like the Philip Wheeler signing and getting Wallace was a need, even if they did have to overpay him. Still, I think with a decent draft they can compete for a wild card spot.

I agree about the Bucs, though. There were times last season when they looked like the most explosive offense in the league. If they're able to wiggle their way into the playoffs and Schiano is able to corral Freeman into a Flacco-like bout of quality play, I don't see why they theoretically couldn't be legit Super Bowl contenders. Having said that, obviously, half the time last season Freeman looked like an utterly incompetent QB, so if he continues playing like shit the team will go nowhere. I love their moves this offseason though, so I'm rooting for them.

Freeman as good as Flacco?

Now there's a line of thinking I can get behind.

Mr. Expert? Wow, fuck off.

Dude, how many of those draft picks do you expect to make an immediate impact within the next 1-2 seasons? They're extremely lucky to have two second/third round picks. For your sake, they better not waste them. There's a decent chance one or two of those guys will come in and make notable contributions immediately. Having the draft picks doesn't guarantee you'll make good picks with them. Provided the Dolphins make good on some of these extra picks and land some primetime players, they're going to have to restructure their rookie deals at some point and they're going to need cap space for that. It'll be tough to keep everyone around if the draft works out like you hope and the team suddenly has a surplus of stars. You're going to lose players in that mess, no doubt.

As far as free agency, most of Miami's impact signings are on the offensive side of the ball. They still have questions on defense (that a couple linebackers and a good defensive back are probably not going to solve right away) and they've yet to establish a successor to Reggie Bush.

I don't really get what your point is. Just because the Dolphins can afford to throw money around and draft a few extra players in the early rounds doesn't mean they're going to come out the gate putting New England in the dirt. It'll be a few years before Miami sorts everything out, but they're on the right path given their capacity to add players. It's not hard to be the second-best team in your division when you share it with Buffalo and New York.
Apologies for the mister expert comment, that was uncalled for and I shouldn't have taken that tone.

I don't know how many of those picks are going to make an impact right away. I'm not saying the Dolphins are going to be a good team next year, in fact I expect the Patriots to win the division again without much trouble. My concern isn't necessarily whether or not the Dolphins win the division next season, it's if they are going in the right direction. It's only Philbin's second year as the head coach and even Ireland is in a different spot now compared to a few years ago when Parcells was calling the shots. As of right now this team is rebuilding and they are unproven, so the most important thing you want to see as a fan is a sense of positive direction.

The Dolphins have an excellent (yes, excellent) defensive line and they're all returning for next season. The only major weakness at the moment is a pass rusher across from Wake which will most likely be addressed in the draft.

Ireland could have sat back with Burnett and Dansby but he realized that in order to compete he needed younger, quicker, more athletic linebackers, so he went after Wheeler and Elerbee. In my mind those were both smart signings, and it improves what was already a solid linebacker core. By going with these quicker LB's it also shows that Ireland is conscious of pass receiving TE's taking over the game as of late.

CB is still a huge need for the team, no doubt about it. I expect it to be addressed through the draft, but only time will tell if that's successful or not.

Lamar Miller was drafted last season with the intention of making him the successor for Bush. Obviously the guys in charge felt like he was ready for that role so they were comfortable letting Bush go. We'll see how that pans out, but I for one am happy to see them avoid overpaying a guy like Bush (which no doubt would have drawn even more criticism from you, right?).

You nailed it in that last paragraph. "They're on the right path." That's what matters for a team that's been trash for the past decade plus, isn't it? I never said I was expecting the team to blow up overnight.

Now, regarding the Wallace signing, if you watched the Dolphins play last year you would understand how crucial it was. The Dolphins WR's had 3 TD's all season last year. Let that sink in for awhile. THREE. Ireland and Philbin are intent on building the team up through youth with the draft but there has to be some balance there, especially with Ireland who can't afford to just sleepwalk through this season (and sacrifice another year of Tannehill's development). The Wallace signing looks crazy on paper but if you're familiar with the Dolphins situation it starts to make a lot more sense, and honestly I'm extremely glad it happened. I don't think Wallace is going to blow up this year, and his game certainly has some weaknesses, but he was the best guy available and it was a move that needed to be made.

The Dolphins were an average team last season that showed a lot of positive signs. Right now the front office is working towards the next step, and whether it happens or not it's great to at least see the effort. I've been a Dolphins fan for as long as I can remember and this is the first time since before Ricky Williams left to "discover himself" that I can remember feeling positive about the direction the team is headed.

Godslay

Banned

Bucs ran up the score on garbage ass teams, Martin had more to do with that than Freeman did in some games. Freeman can be really good, but he can also be an inconsistent turnover machine. If Freeman has a good year, I can see them making the playoffs, but I think they sputter out and are not SB contenders with him. It would take Flacco levels of luck to pull off a SB.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Getting cranky in here.

32612-Mark-Sanchez-butt-fumble-gif-iAsg.gif

ChanHuk

Banned
Hrm wow, so Amazon is willing to take Luigi's Mansion as a trade in for $28 + $20 bonus. $48 for the game I bought mainly just to get Mario 3D Land for free.

Fox318

just go to your closet and hide behind you spare giants jersey for a few years again

Since when the fuck did I call my self a giants fan? The only good result that could have come out of the 2 pats giants super bowls was their buses crashing into each other and canceling the game.

Apologies for the mister expert comment, that was uncalled for and I shouldn't have taken that tone.

I don't know how many of those picks are going to make an impact right away. I'm not saying the Dolphins are going to be a good team next year, in fact I expect the Patriots to win the division again without much trouble. My concern isn't necessarily whether or not the Dolphins win the division next season, it's if they are going in the right direction. It's only Philbin's second year as the head coach and even Ireland is in a different spot now compared to a few years ago when Parcells was calling the shots. As of right now this team is rebuilding and they are unproven, so the most important thing you want to see as a fan is a sense of positive direction.

The Dolphins have an excellent (yes, excellent) defensive line and they're all returning for next season. The only major weakness at the moment is a pass rusher across from Wake which will most likely be addressed in the draft.

Ireland could have sat back with Burnett and Dansby but he realized that in order to compete he needed younger, quicker, more athletic linebackers, so he went after Wheeler and Elerbee. In my mind those were both smart signings, and it improves what was already a solid linebacker core. By going with these quicker LB's it also shows that Ireland is conscious of pass receiving TE's taking over the game as of late.

CB is still a huge need for the team, no doubt about it. I expect it to be addressed through the draft, but only time will tell if that's successful or not.

Lamar Miller was drafted last season with the intention of making him the successor for Bush. Obviously the guys in charge felt like he was ready for that role so they were comfortable letting Bush go. We'll see how that pans out, but I for one am happy to see them avoid overpaying a guy like Bush (which no doubt would have drawn even more criticism from you, right?).

You nailed it in that last paragraph. "They're on the right path." That's what matters for a team that's been trash for the past decade plus, isn't it? I never said I was expecting the team to blow up overnight.

Now, regarding the Wallace signing, if you watched the Dolphins play last year you would understand how crucial it was. The Dolphins WR's had 3 TD's all season last year. Let that sink in for awhile. THREE. Ireland and Philbin are intent on building the team up through youth with the draft but there has to be some balance there, especially with Ireland who can't afford to just sleepwalk through this season (and sacrifice another year of Tannehill's development). The Wallace signing looks crazy on paper but if you're familiar with the Dolphins situation it starts to make a lot more sense, and honestly I'm extremely glad it happened. I don't think Wallace is going to blow up this year, and his game certainly has some weaknesses, but he was the best guy available and it was a move that needed to be made.

The Dolphins were an average team last season that showed a lot of positive signs. Right now the front office is working towards the next step, and whether it happens or not it's great to at least see the effort. I've been a Dolphins fan for as long as I can remember and this is the first time since before Ricky Williams left to "discover himself" that I can remember feeling positive about the direction the team is headed.

I came back here to edit that out anyway. My bad for putting my reaction so bluntly. If it's any consolation, I was going to change 'fuck off' to 'blrshnyrf' or something. I'm also a bit of a punk bitch.

I can't fault you for being optimistic as a fan. You guys do have a lot to look forward to but I wouldn't be surprised if they have trouble keeping some of their draft picks a few years down the line. Players that are big signees now could get cut or traded.

I'm on the outside looking in, though, and I just think the Dolphins are still going to have to deal with the Patriots hump for a few seasons. Tom Brady still slings it and they've replenished their ranks with young talent at some skill positions. It's still pretty much unknown what Ryan Mallett can do under Belichick or whomever else. I doubt we'll see him much unless Brady gets hurt within the next couple of seasons. The Dolphins had trouble defending the pass last season and an impact signing in the secondary isn't a guaranteed success (poor Eagles fans). We'll probably find out this year if the scheme or the talent are to blame for their woes.

I'm not particularly a fan of New England (Buffalo is by far my favorite team in that division) but they're a pretty good squad year in and year out. They haven't won a ring in a while, no, but they've been a part of the contender discussion almost every year since the first Belichick championship - even after getting busted. I don't think that'll end this year or next, but we'll have to see about that.

I came back here to edit that out anyway. My bad for putting my reaction so bluntly. If it's any consolation, I was going to change 'fuck off' to 'blrshnyrf' or something. I'm also a bit of a punk bitch.

I can't fault you for being optimistic as a fan. You guys do have a lot to look forward to but I wouldn't be surprised if they have trouble keeping some of their draft picks a few years down the line. Players that are big signees now could get cut or traded.

I'm on the outside looking in, though, and I just think the Dolphins are still going to have to deal with the Patriots hump for a few seasons. Tom Brady still slings it and they've replenished their ranks with young talent at some skill positions. It's still pretty much unknown what Ryan Mallett can do under Belichick or whomever else. I doubt we'll see him much unless Brady gets hurt within the next couple of seasons. The Dolphins had trouble defending the pass last season and an impact signing in the secondary isn't a guaranteed success (poor Eagles fans). We'll probably find out this year if the scheme or the talent are to blame for their woes.

I'm not particularly a fan of New England (Buffalo is by far my favorite team in that division) but they're a pretty good squad year in and year out. They haven't won a ring in a while, no, but they've been a part of the contender discussion almost every year since the first Belichick championship - even after getting busted. I don't think that'll end this year or next, but we'll have to see about that.
No hard feelings man, I get a little too defensive about my team sometimes so my bad.

I agree with everything you said, really. Like I said, I don't expect the team to recover from such a long period of horrendous decisions overnight, I just want to see them moving in the right direction. I want to see that a plan is in place. I'm still skeptical of Ireland to be honest, which is one reason why I think this season is extremely important for the team. We'll learn a lot about Tannehill, Ireland, and Philbin this season.

My question to you is --- what would you have done differently? The reason this conversation started is because you criticized the Phins for their offseason moves, so what do you think they should have done differently?

Colasante

No hard feelings man, I get a little too defensive about my team sometimes so my bad.

I agree with everything you said, really. Like I said, I don't expect the team to recover from such a long period of horrendous decisions overnight, I just want to see them moving in the right direction. I want to see that a plan is in place. I'm still skeptical of Ireland to be honest, which is one reason why I think this season is extremely important for the team. We'll learn a lot about Tannehill, Ireland, and Philbin this season.

My question to you is --- what would you have done differently? The reason this conversation started is because you criticized the Phins for their offseason moves, so what do you think they should have done differently?

I honestly forgot the Dolphins signed Brent Grimes. That's a great move- my favorite move of theirs of the offseason. From what I saw of them against the Patriots I really liked the Dolphins' safeties last year, especially Reshad Jones. My main complaint against the Dolphins' offseason was allowing Long to walk and (presumably) trading a 2nd for Albert, who will have a comparable contract to Long even if it's a little cheaper.

If the Jets want to make the playoffs and ultimately win the Super Bowl they must start Tim Tebow. For he shall send gang green to the promised land.

Fantomex

Don't ever ever ever let me catch you apologizing to a Pats fan again. I will expel you from the fandom! Pats fans are garbage, just like their confiscated camera equipment. Patsies are just holding on to that Brady lifeline for dear life. Well see how they do once Gronk gets taken out from an std and the defense starts getting worked by these offenses.

I honestly forgot the Dolphins signed Brent Grimes. That's a great move- my favorite move of theirs of the offseason. From what I saw of them against the Patriots I really liked the Dolphins' safeties last year, especially Reshad Jones. My main complaint against the Dolphins' offseason was allowing Long to walk and (presumably) trading a 2nd for Albert, who will have a comparable contract to Long even if it's a little cheaper.
I keep forgetting about Grimes too! Yeah, I'm very happy about that move, if he can recover fully that could be a real steal.

I was on the fence with Long but he's played worse than Albert over the past season or two and he has a lot of nagging injury issues. The desire for consistency is important enough to justify not paying him, I suppose.

Don't ever ever ever let me catch you apologizing to a Pats fan again. I will expel you from the fandom! Pats fans are garbage, just like their confiscated camera equipment.
Pretty sure he's a Bears fan, haha.

Also I'm married to a Pats fan. :p

Fantomex

I keep forgetting about Grimes too! Yeah, I'm very happy about that move, if he can recover fully that could be a real steal.

I was on the fence with Long but he's played worse than Albert over the past season or two and he has a lot of nagging injury issues. The desire for consistency is important enough to justify not paying him, I suppose.

Pretty sure he's a Bears fan, haha.

Also I'm married to a Pats fan.

If he's a bears fan then I take it back. Bears fans deserve our support and pity.

You're dead to me.

Wheeler not that good, just benefited from playing with terrible players that made him look somewhat decent. He's not an impact player as you can see from how bad our D was, misses a lot of tackles and weak against the run. Probably wouldn't have even started on another team last year.

lol fuckin' Rolando. You'd think he'd know not to provoke Decatur police by now. What an idiot.

Eh, I wouldn't have paid Ellerbe, Hartline, or even Wallace like they did. It's hard for me to believe some of those guys were getting comparable offers from other teams (Wallace being an exception). I guess my position is that they've acquired some decent and in some cases really good players, but they paid hefty prices for them. Even though I hate the Packers, I'm a fan of Green Bay's minimalist approach to free agency. The Dolphins, unfortunately, don't seem to have the same luck as the Packers do with talent evaluation, so I thought it would be harder for them to replenish through the draft as well.

Brent Grimes is actually my favorite pickup for the Phins because of their poor pass defense, I think, along with signing Grimes, they could've found a receiver with one or two of their many picks, not signed Wallace at all, and gone after some other, more dominant free agent defenders aggressively if they were going to spend their money on anybody. I just don't think Mike Wallace is worth the money he got paid or that he is as essential to Tannehill's growth as a stout defense. One of my best friends is a Steelers fan and has lamented about him dropping passes nonstop for the four years, so maybe I've been turned against him a little bit.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Looks like it was 5 for Milliner, 5 for Ansah, 1 for Warmack, and you deferred. Guess it's time to move on, so you can be the deciding vote.

Again, you can quote this on draft day, there is no way in hell the Lions take Ansah at #5 if Milliner or Warmack are still on the board. We could trade down and possibly take him, but we're not taking Ansah at #5 when he really shows nothing that separates him from the 2nd-3rd round DEs (IMO and I believe Mayhews opinion).

Just put it up as Milliner (with a 20% chance of Warmack), unless we're going to take into consideration trade scenarios.

Finished Guacamelee at about the 9 hour mark. I stopped and smelled the roses, too. Getting all of the orbs in the game was a complete bitch. Some of the hardest platforms no I've done in a long time. Hard as nails but satisfying!

....and I can't even work up a laugh at McClain anymore. Moron.

Eh, I wouldn't have paid Ellerbe, Hartline, or even Wallace like they did. It's hard for me to believe some of those guys were getting comparable offers from other teams (Wallace being an exception). I guess my position is that they've acquired some decent and in some cases really good players, but they paid hefty prices for them. Even though I hate the Packers, I'm a fan of Green Bay's minimalist approach to free agency. The Dolphins, unfortunately, don't seem to have the same luck as the Packers do with talent evaluation, so I thought it would be harder for them to replenish through the draft as well.

Brent Grimes is actually my favorite pickup for the Phins because of their poor pass defense, I think, along with signing Grimes, they could've found a receiver with one or two of their many picks, not signed Wallace at all, and gone after some other, more dominant free agent defenders aggressively if they were going to spend their money on anybody. I just don't think Mike Wallace is worth the money he got paid or that he is as essential to Tannehill's growth as a stout defense. One of my best friends is a Steelers fan and has lamented about him dropping passes nonstop for the four years, so maybe I've been turned against him a little bit.
Fair enough, there is definitely an element of "must win now" in Ireland's dealings this offseason so I can see where you're coming from. I guess we'll find out who's worth it and who isn't.

There is a balance of spending big money and also looking to develop young talent with the Phins. It may not be ideal long term but I don't know enough about the business to predict how things will look five years from now so in the meantime I'm willing to give Ireland one more shot. Regarding Green Bay I agree with you though, and I'm sure Philbin does as well since he saw how successful it was during his tenure there. The problem is it takes time to implement something like that successfully but you can't just completely ignore the present.

And again, I know Wallace has issues but he was the best WR available and the Dolphins needed that kind of guy right now. They couldn't afford to wait as far as that goes, in my opinion. Don't forget about the Gibson signing, either.

So much speculation, I just wish the season would get here already.

The Steelers reportedly believe Tennessee's Tyler Bray is the most talented quarterback in the 2013 draft.
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette allows "a lot of NFL teams" feel this way about Bray, but the Steelers could be eyeballing the big-armed thrower on the draft's third day. Most NFL coaches say the underclassman "needs to sit and learn for several years," but could grow into "a top-tier quarterback very similar to Joe Flacco." We expect Bray to be a second-day pick due strictly to his arm talent.
Future?

squicken

Okay Kas is banging the table, it's a close vote, so it's Milliner

1)Chiefs--Joeckel
2)Jags--Fisher
3)Raiders--Star
4)Eagles--Dion Jordan
5)Lions--Dee Milliner
6)Browns--On the Clock

We won't do this one until Wes, Kave, and BlackGhost have had a chance to weigh in. Don't mean to exclude anyone. All voices welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom