• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
This NFLN "expert" mock is amazing. Irvin took Geno at 2 and now Mayock is calling him out for it.

Wasn't really an "expert" mock. More of a "media" one. There were two presenters, a reporter and a fantasy football guy amongst those players and coachers.

Hunter S.

I think CB for Broncos was a bad pick considered we are fairly loaded on them, and the guy won't see the field. Would have went with a DE.
Hard to say with Champ only having a good year, or two, or none at all. The fact he is still ranked by many as a top ten CB in the league shows how he is perceived as one of the best ever even with his decline in interceptions. Oh, and your pick for the draft sucks. :-D

Tamanon

Banned
Hall of Fame great is tough....I mean, maybe Rodgers will get there with another ring or two. I can't see Eli personally unless he gets more consistent. And that's it from the newer crops of QBs.

Godslay

Banned
Hard to say with Champ only having a good year, or two, or none at all. The fact he is still ranked by many as a top ten CB in the league shows how he is perceived as one of the best ever even with his decline in interceptions. Oh, and your pick for the draft sucks. :-D

Trufant will be gone long before our pick. He's a good CB.

effzee

What is this crap on ESPN right now?

Yeah it was extremely awkward.

Polian didn't look like he wanted to be a part of it all.

"Make the call...ask if they would give up a 2nd".

WTF why would a team offering their first overall at 7 and a 3rd round pick be willing to change the offer to a 2nd round pick?

And Milliner for the Eagles? Sure it could happen but only if all three tackles or Jordan are gone or maybe if they trade down.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The Falcons trading up to get Milliner scares me. Maybe it will leave Dion Jordan for us, but it all will depend on the Iggles.

If they take Dion then that leaves us either probably Ansah or Warmack. =/ I'd love to have Warmack or Cooper at G but I really think Ansah will bust.

Wes

venison crêpe
NFL Network Draft Buzz with Ian Rappaport:

- Dee Milliner. Wont be any long term impact regarding shoulder injury says Alabama doc. Expects Milliner to be ready for training camp too. If someone examined his shoudler right now they would think it was normal.
- Joeckel is calm. Fisher is nervous. Neither had new contact from the Chiefs.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Hall of Fame great is tough....I mean, maybe Rodgers will get there with another ring or two. I can't see Eli personally unless he gets more consistent. And that's it from the newer crops of QBs.

I don't think the NFL is like the NBA. A QB with a good long career and one ring is a shoe in. Unless you're Joe Namath then you just need the ring.

That leads me to believe either Saine is wrecked physically or Benson is back again.

Wes

venison crêpe
Citing a "source (he) trust(s)," CBS Sports' Clark Judge reports the Falcons are trying to trade up for a cornerback.

Judge reports it would be Dee Milliner or Xavier Rhodes. Perhaps the Falcons' most needy position is right cornerback, opposite LCB Asante Samuel. And it's been clear for over a week now that GM Thomas Dimitroff isn't satisfied with the 30th overall pick. We tend to believe Milliner would be Dimitroff's preferred target. Dimitroff is tight with Milliner's college coach, Nick Saban.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If Mayhew ends up giving away a 2nd or 3rd round pick to move up two spots he should instantly be fired.

What a horrible, horrible move that would be.

Wes

venison crêpe
Albert Breer says Bills are looking at taking QB at 8.

They have no one they're really after at the 8th pick. They would have to trade back in to the first round to guarantee they get their QB of choice - team at the bottom end are asking for a 2014 1st round pick in exhcnage. bills aren't willing to give that up. As a result they're thinking abotu just taking the QB they want at 8.

Solomon Wilcox says Browns in very fluid situation. Trade down scenario accomplishes a lot of things. Same quaity of player at 11 or 12 that they could get at 6 whilst recouping a second round pick. Chargers and Dolphins both looking up to draft one of the top three OTs and will call the Browns if one falls to 6.

Cardinals sticking with BPA philosophy but are willing to trade down.
They have seven players within 1 point of each other on their draft board.

WedgeX

Banned
Is your line in bad shape? Gotta protect that fat guy you have throwing the football.

The Lions line currently looks like:

RG: Peterman
RT: Cherilus
C: Raiola
LT: Backus
LG: Sims

Reiff, Hilliard and Fox can compete for tackle jobs. Reiff was drafted to take over one of them, Hilliard has been a long time backup, and Fox had been injured for a long time but is now healthy. Nagy, Austin, and Gandy can compete for the RG slot. Nagy is also looked at by the Lions as a backup to Raiola but was claimed off waivers to compete for a starting spot. Gandy has been a long time backup to Raiola but has played guard. Austin was picked up as an undrafted free agent to compete as well.

squicken

Why players bust

“The areas when we’ve missed it’s been the intangible areas, the things you can’t measure,” Colbert said. “You try to spend as much time with these guys as you can. Even if a kid doesn’t have any [past] character indiscretions, when you get him in your locker room maybe he wilts. You just don’t know the real true personality until you stick them into your program and watch them work and watch them go to meetings and how they interact with players. That’s the biggest thing that I’ve seen when we failed, it’s been the intangible qualities that we haven’t been able to predict.

“The other thing would be the intelligence. Players have different levels of intelligence. It’s a very complicated sport from a learning standpoint, probably more so than any other professional sport and you have to factor in that learning, and some kids just can’t handle it. Even though they have the physical abilities, their mental capabilities maybe don’t match up. So again in our situation, when we’ve missed its been those two areas and that’s what we try to focus on, but quite honestly it’s the hardest thing. It’s just something you can’t nail down all the time.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ligence-as-biggest-reason-for-draft-mistakes/

Isn't the purpose of the wonderlic to at least get a glimpse at the intelligence of a player? Not to mention the interviews that are conducted by the teams and the due diligence done when you bring in a prospect for a private workout.

The first mention about intangibles I completely understand but I would think that the process of vetting these kids would allow you to sort out who's capable of learning and who isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom