• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lions line currently looks like:

RG: Peterman
RT: Cherilus
C: Raiola
LT: Backus
LG: Sims

Reiff, Hilliard and Fox can compete for tackle jobs. Reiff was drafted to take over one of them, Hilliard has been a long time backup, and Fox had been injured for a long time but is now healthy. Nagy, Austin, and Gandy can compete for the RG slot. Nagy is also looked at by the Lions as a backup to Raiola but was claimed off waivers to compete for a starting spot. Gandy has been a long time backup to Raiola but has played guard. Austin was picked up as an undrafted free agent to compete as well.

So sounds like you guys could use some help, but not sure if it's worth trading up for.

Sounds like the Packers released DJ Smith as well. Reggie might make him an offer if we can afford it.

Wes

venison crêpe
Cofnirming what most of us already figured:

ROTOWORLD said:
Stationed at the Vikings' Winter Park facility, ESPN's Bob Holtzman reported there's a "good chance" GM Rick Spielman will use either the No. 23 or 25 overall pick on a wide receiver.

"Based on what I've been told from the people I've talked to here," Holtzman reported, "there's a good chance one of the two first-round picks will be used on a wide receiver." The Vikings signed Greg Jennings and brought back Jerome Simpson, but Simpson isn't a quality starter and the position lacks depth behind Jarius Wright. Cordarrelle Patterson, DeAndre Hopkins, and perhaps Justin Hunter could be in play for Minnesota in the 20s.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So sounds like you guys could use some help, but not sure if it's worth trading up for.

He's not. The team needs a whole group of good players. They can't afford to give up a high pick to move up two spots.

If they want a LT that bad, take one with their 2nd round pick.

Greg

Isn't the purpose of the wonderlic to at least get a glimpse at the intelligence of a player? Not to mention the interviews that are conducted by the teams and the due diligence done when you bring in a prospect for a private workout.

The first mention about intangibles I completely understand but I would think that the process of vetting these kids would allow you to sort out who's capable of learning and who isn't.
Yeah, I think that would be one of the easier areas to evaluate.

Although I'm sure at some point it's just varying degrees of stupid.

squicken

Isn't the purpose of the wonderlic to at least get a glimpse at the intelligence of a player? Not to mention the interviews that are conducted by the teams and the due diligence done when you bring in a prospect for a private workout.

The first mention about intangibles I completely understand but I would think that the process of vetting these kids would allow you to sort out who's capable of learning and who isn't.

I think the part about intelligence is rough because, well, so many guys aren't very bright. So it's trying to figure out which guy who doesn't seem very smart can at least learn a play book

The part about intangibles I think, is much harder. You would need to spend a lot of time with a guy to see how he's going to handle having all that money. It's easier to quit or let up when failing has smaller consequences. The Rams learned that with Pead. He basically shut it down and pouted b/c he didn't get playing time. He was cocky and arrogant in school, but the moment he wasn't the star, he handled it horribly. Tough to predict

Colasante

Rappaport, Florio and LaConfora all on NFLNetwork talking about twitter and the draft.

La Canfora is acting like a petty little shit about this entire pick tipping business. CBS wants to ruin the draft experience for people on Twitter just because they don't have television rights to it.

La Canfora is acting like a petty little shit about this entire pick tipping business. CBS wants to ruin the draft experience for people on Twitter just because they don't have television rights to it.
So don't log into twitter?

They are treating the selections like news. The NFL is treating it like a TV event. Pick your poison.

Wes

venison crêpe

Yup. They are acting like a petulant child a bit.

We're not going to be spoiling picks on here are we?

Colasante

So don't log into twitter?

That's certainly a viable option, but there is no journalistic necessity to document a pick before it happens on television. It's not like these reporters are doing great work finding sources, they're just sitting in Radio City Music Hall and tweeting the picks out as they're spoken over the loud speaker. Fans are adamant that they don't want the picks on Twitter beforehand and non-NFL Network or ESPN employees don't care.

That's certainly a viable option, but there is no journalistic necessity to document a pick before it happens on television.
Is there journalistic necessity in reporting a trade that's meant to happen when free agency starts weeks before the team officially announces it?

It's the same damned thing

...and if all they are doing is "just tweeting picks out as they are announced on the loud speaker" then what does it matter? It should match up nicely with what's happening on TV for you.

Fans are adamant that they don't want the picks on Twitter
Say it with me now: LOG THE FUCK OUT OF TWITTER.

There isn't a soul being held at gunpoint in their living room forced to read twitter during the draft. Not one.

Colasante

Is there journalistic necessity in reporting a trade that's meant to happen when free agency starts weeks before the team officially announces it?

...and if they are "just tweeting picks out as they are announced on the loud speaker"...then what does it matter? It should match up nicely with what's happening on TV.

There is a big difference with trades and whatnot since different reporters have different sources. There was a situation earlier in free agency when some reporters were adamant that Andy Reid would soon become the Cardinals' coach, and others reported otherwise. Some reporters have better sources and are willing to wait for good information, while others rush to report news without getting real confirmation.

The picks were tipped far ahead of time last year, and even moreso the year before. There were times when essentially the #5 pick was being announced on TV and the Twitter community already knows who is being picked all the way up to pick #9.

There isn't a soul being held at gunpoint in their living room forced to read twitter during the draft. Not one.

My prerogative is to experience the draft as it unfolds on TV and be part of the ongoing discussion that ensues from it. It's a fun experience, especially for people who don't have a lot of friends into the NFL that they can watch it with. I can stay off of Twitter and I'll probably have to, but the entire controversy does not make any sense from the journalistic perspective. I just don't understand what is gained by announcing the pick on Twitter minutes beforehand. It's not impressive journalism, it adds nothing, and the only people strongly affected by it are those who did not want to know ahead of time.

It's not a perfect analogy but it's like watching the Super Bowl and being on Twitter on the same time, and being told 5 minutes early that a team is going to score a touchdown. Yes, it'd be my fault for being on Twitter, but it's also unnecessary to spoil it for people watching on television and experiencing it on a delay.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
There is a big difference with trades and whatnot since different reporters have different sources. There was a situation earlier in free agency when some reporters were adamant that Andy Reid would soon become the Cardinals' coach, and others reported otherwise. Some reporters have better sources and are willing to wait for good information, while others rush to report news without getting real confirmation.

The picks were tipped far ahead of time last year, and even moreso the year before. There were times when essentially the #5 pick was being announced on TV and the Twitter community already knows who is being picked all the way up to pick #9.

I thought last year it was a surprise every pick? At least for me it was.

The year before was ridiculous because they were talking about the pick 10 minutes before Goddell walked up to announce it.

Wes

venison crêpe
Albert Breer

Eagles are the NFL draft swing state according to one NFL GM. Identitified 4 players they are happy to take at 4. Cluster of 8 players behind that they have 1st round grades on.

Ziggy Ansah could be a trade up target for people who want to move up for 4.

Nothing you've said there has yet to illustrate the difference between reporting a trade prior to an official team announcement or reporting a pick prior to its announcement at the podium. The quality of a reporters sources has little to no bearing unless your point is someone misreports the pick but then who cares? No doubt someone with better sources will get it right.

The solution to said problem has yet to change either so I won't bother repeating it again.

The last statement about being 4 picks ahead - GREAT! Gets me to the 19th pick that much quicker.

My prerogative is to experience the draft as it unfolds on TV and be part of the ongoing discussion that ensues from it.
My perogative is to find out the picks in the quickest, most efficient manner. Whatever method provides that (be it twitter, facebook, or TV) is what I'll be watching/reading. Sometimes more than one at a given time in the company of friends.

Staying away from Twitter during the draft is a no brainer. What I want to know is if any of you plan on posting the tweets as they happen in this thread. I'll stay away from the thread if so but it'd be a shame because I want to see and participate in the reactions to each pick as they are made.

Wes

venison crêpe
Mayock: I don't know, and I don't think anyone in league knows, what the Browns are going to do at 6. Then he suggests Banner will overrule Chud and Lombardi and take Geno Smith. Pls no.

@evansilva 12m
Schefter on Barkevious Mingo: "There's some chatter #Browns could be moving up for that particular player. Could be a frenetic 1st round."

OH GAWD NO.

...and if all they are doing is "just tweeting picks out as they are announced on the loud speaker" then what does it matter? It should match up nicely with what's happening on TV for you.

people like to discuss stuff on twitter as it happens. it's taken over forums as the go to community for fans

how much time are we talking about tho? last year I remember the pick coming in on twitter about 3 minutes or so before it being announced on TV. Wasn't really a big deal.

people like to discuss stuff on twitter as it happens. it's taken over forums as the go to community for fans
There's this awesome unfollow button on Twitter for people you don't actually want to hear from. Makes it pretty straightforward to censor out the folks who could ruin such things while allowing you to have your community gatherings amongst the people you know.

Staying away from Twitter during the draft is a no brainer. What I want to know is if any of you plan on posting the tweets as they happen in this thread.
If folks want to keep the thread vanilla, I won't post a damn thing.;)

There's this awesome unfollow button on Twitter for people you don't actually want to hear from.

unless you're a pre-cog you can't really avoid anything on twitter once it hits

not really a problem for me as I want the news as soon as possible, but telling people to logout or unfollow people isn't gonna help them if they wanted to participate online. but it really can't be helped these days.

squicken

Let's agree, since it seems to be the clear majority, that no picks are put up here before they are on TV.

I just don't get La Canola. What's the achievement to stare in the Green Room and see who gets excited? It's like having the network feed of the Walking Dead or something and tweeting out who dies. I get that it is news, I just don't get how he feels like it's a "score" on his part

All this talk about the Raiders possibly being able to trade back makes me very happy. If it's all the way back to the Falcons pick though, it better be a boat load

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I won't be on here during the draft until after the Lions pick. I love the drama of the draft.

The "insiders" are acting like douches because they can't handle the idea that the league wants to keep it interesting.

Wes

venison crêpe
@evansilva 1m

Casserly on #Rams at 16: "Seems Rams aren't content to sit there. Ppl they've talked to in trades think the guy they want is Tavon Austin."

I'm telling you guys. So many trades. No one will end up in the position they're currently in. Browns' first pick will be 26 and the Falcons will be picking 9th. The Patriots will pick 2nd overall.

Colasante

Nothing you've said there has yet to illustrate the difference between reporting a trade prior to an official team announcement or reporting a pick prior to its announcement at the podium. The quality of a reporters sources has little to no bearing unless your point is someone misreports the pick but then who cares? No doubt someone with better sources will get it right.

Because whatever qualities define a good journalist- accuracy, attention to detail, timeliness- aren't on display when you tip picks ahead of time. If LaCanfora gets a tip today that the Jets are 100% drafting Geno Smith at no. 9 and he reports it, that's impressive and a nice scoop by him. If he hears 5 minutes ahead of time that the Jets are picking Smith after it's announced on a loud speaker and he tweets it out, while all NFL and ESPN employees don't, that's not good journalism, that's just a pathetic attempt to get more attention on Twitter. I do understand your perspective of wanting to know the picks as soon as possible, but I don't get how you can't see the difference in quality journalism. They're not at all comparable.

The "insiders" are acting like douches because they can't handle the idea that the league wants to keep their ratings.
Fixed.

Because whatever qualities define a good journalist- accuracy, attention to detail, timeliness
Yeesh. No offense but let me know when you've returned from this land of idealism you live in and have rejoined us here in the real world.

It's your job to filter out the noise and find the right people to provide the right info you're looking for. It's his job to provide news that he feels people want. Whether he's right or wrong will prove out on draft day.

tmdorsey

I don't think we are trading up as high as the Raiders pick. I could see us trying to get into the top 15 for a good corner or DE. Personally I think we need to address somewhere on the front 7 more than the secondary.

squicken

@evansilva 1m

Casserly on #Rams at 16: "Seems Rams aren't content to sit there. Ppl they've talked to in trades think the guy they want is Tavon Austin."

I'm telling you guys. So many trades. No one will end up in the position they're currently in. Browns' first pick will be 26 and the Falcons will be picking 9th. The Patriots will pick 2nd overall.

I honestly have no idea with all the stuff that's there. It's certainly public perception that the Rams want Austin, so teams in the top 10 that want to trade out have a nice story to tell to potential suitors

My personal belief is STL wants to get away from the dink and dunk stuff they had with Amendola. If they lined up Austin in the slot I'm not sure he can work downfield b/c of his height. If both Eifert and Austin were there, I kind of think STL would draft Eifert, even though they signed Cook. Danny's height and limited catch radius was a persistent problem last year. Really hard to work a small slot guy down the seam

Wes

venison crêpe
http://predictpick.nfl.com/groups/view/561

LAST DAY TO JOIN THE GAF DRAFT PREDICTION THINGY!!

Name = The NeoGAF Draft (Shirtless Edition) is born!

Password = Fatfort (with the capital)

Might as well post it again.

I'm going to tease some of my inspired picks:

PuqOjke.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
People actually get pissed about "spoiling" picks?

Why wouldn't they?

The league and the media build the thing as a spectacle and an event and people treat it as such. Could you imagine if TV shows spoiled what was going to happen 10 seconds before it happens by having Chris Berman crack some totally unfunny joke or some shit.

Wes

venison crêpe
What's the point of televising the draft at that point? Why not just do the whole thing on Twitter?

Eisen asked Goodell this on his latest Podcast. If I recall correctly it's because they want to keep it "an event" for all the fans to get involved in and excited for.

They're also thinking about having Day 2 and Day 3 hosted in different cities.

cashman

Banned
Eisen asked Goodell this on his latest Podcast. If I recall correctly it's because they want to keep it "an event" for all the fans to get involved in and excited for.

They're also thinking about having Day 2 and Day 3 hosted in different cities.

They should just make it one round per day and have it in a different location each day.

Godslay

Banned
Why wouldn't they?

The league and the media build the thing as a spectacle and an event and people treat it as such. Could you imagine if TV shows spoiled what was going to happen 10 seconds before it happens by having Chris Berman crack some totally unfunny joke or some shit.

If you know there are going to be spoilers on Twitter, don't go there. Watch it as it happens.

It's basically like jumping into an OT with unmarked spoilers, nobody made you go there.

I'll be watching the ESPN feed so I can hear Jon Gruden.

I like Chucky too, his reaction on the Jimmy Clausen pick is one of his best moments.

Wes

venison crêpe
@evansilva 11m
RT @ArmandoSalguero #Dolphins are on board with the parameters of a contract with Branden Albert. They are ready to pay him elite LT money.

@evansilva 11m
Ireland caving. Like clockwork.

@evansilva 9m
Werder reported this AM Branden Albert wants $9 million/year. If #Dolphins pay that price, he'll be the NFL's 6th-highest paid left tackle.

:jnc

jbug617

Banned
@evansilva 11m
RT @ArmandoSalguero #Dolphins are on board with the parameters of a contract with Branden Albert. They are ready to pay him elite LT money.

@evansilva 11m
Ireland caving. Like clockwork.

:jnc

Guess Fisher isn't going first then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom