• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

What I liked about STL was that Austin was clearly the best skill guy, and they correctly saw that 16 was going to be a bad scene for what they needed.

As far as the Jets, the problem there was that it was clear they were trying to trade. They took all 10 minutes each time. It makes you wonder if they just didn't understand they weren't going to get what BUF got b/c there was no player to trade up for

edit: Right now it's RG3 for:

Brockers, Jenkins, Rok Watkins, Isiah Pead, Alec Ogletree, ATL's 3rd, ATL's 6th, and a 2014 1st

MechDX

Still hard to fathom that we actually have a legit #2 WR opposite Dre. If we snag Minter in the second round I will be ecstatic and my hope for the season will return.

Of course all this hinges on Schaub getting hit by a bus and TJ is our starter.

JABEE

What are Eagle GAF's thoughts on Lane Johnson?

Looking at it more and more, he seems to be a pretty great athlete. He's huge and ran a 4.7 40 as a Tackle. He also seemed to have played against good competition at Oklahoma. As someone that doesn't watch a lot of college football from all the stuff I've heard from people that have, he seems to be a fit for an offense that runs a lot of screens like Chip Kelly will most likely do. I'd love to hear more opinions on him from people like LJ, eznark, and Squicken.

ChanHuk

Banned
I don't understand the Cowboys, maybe the knew something since Bill Callahan was the former Wisconsin coach. But the guy was a middle 3rd rounder. I would've reached for Barrett Jones in the 2nd since he can play every position on the o-line.

I don't think we'll be in the hunt for the no. 1 next year. We'll probably go 7-9 or so. Jets would be my early favorite for the Clowney lottery, Chiefs will be in the mix again as well.

I just don't see it. When I look at the Raiders roster I see a starting QB with three career starts, an injury plagued starting RB, no #1 WR, poor OL outside of Veldheer, and an entire defense full of guys brought in on one year deals who would be back-ups on most of the other teams in the NFL. I'd be shocked if the Raiders are not picking in the top three next year

squicken

Looking at it more and more, he seems to be a pretty great athlete. He's huge and ran a 4.7 40 as a Tackle. He also seemed to have played against good competition at Oklahoma. As someone that doesn't watch a lot of college football from all the stuff I've heard from people that have, he seems to be a fit for an offense that runs a lot of screens like Chip Kelly will most likely do. I'd love to hear more opinions on him from people like LJ, eznark, and Squicken.

I am a Sooner fan and watched nearly every game he played, and until the draft process started I had no idea we had a top rated tackle. I don't think anyone had heard of him until the Senior Bowl. The Big12 isn't like the SEC. There really aren't top flight defensive players to go against, but he did handle Moore from A&M in the Cotton Bowl

He's an athletic freak which I think is what makes him so intriguing to the NFL. To me he seems to lack the frame to put on much more weight or muscle, but maybe Chip wants his OL to play small

Cosell on Pugh:

I may be in the total minority, and believe me I've been wrong many times, but I think he can go and play left tackle in the NFL. That's my opinion. I think he's got very good movement with knee bend and balance. He's a plus athlete.

The one thing that you didn't see, and I'm sure that this is a concern as it would be for me, just as we talk about with quarterbacks. If we don't see something it becomes something that you wonder if a guy can do it. You didn't see many deep pass sets in pass protection in the Syracuse offense. So, you didn't see him have to slide and try to block a really good pass rusher, which obviously if he's going to play left tackle in the NFL, depending upon which team he goes to, then all of a sudden you're pass protecting against DeMarcus Ware and you have to pass protect for three seconds. I can't answer that question but I think this kid is an athletic kid and can play left tackle.

I did make a point in my notes that he must get stronger and that he's a finesse player at this point. Maybe can't get stronger but I liked this kid. What I'm trying to say is that this kid is going to be a good NFL player whether he's a tackle or a guard.

He won't play LT for us. He'll be a RT. Definitely needs to get stronger from some of the games I've been able to find online but that's a fixable attribute. Pick is growing on me.

ChanHuk

Banned
I just don't see it. When I look at the Raiders roster I see a starting QB with three career starts, an injury plagued starting RB, no #1 WR, poor OL outside of Veldheer, and an entire defense full of guys brought in on one year deals who would be back-ups on most of the other teams in the NFL. I'd be shocked if the Raiders are not picking in the top three next year

They'll be a 5-6 win team. The OL has two pieces, Veldheer and Wisnewski (highly underrated, had to compensate for the lack of guards). Their WRs are average and can get the job done, they have a "elite" RB who's always hurt and no TE. QB, its a system where you can plug in anyone who doesn't turn the ball over.

The defense was completely overhauled, but honestly, it's a better looking unit than last season. The only person they'll miss is Desmond Bryant who the puppies overpaid for. Pat Sims if he is rotated and stays healthy will clog up the middle, I think Vance Walker will be better than most people expect, and Lamar Houston.......well he's Lamar Houston, a premier lineman who's stuck behind a crappy team. LBs, Roach is better than McLame. Wheeler vs Burnett, not much of a production difference. Wheeler was overpaid by the Dolphins especially in the pass happy AFC East. He absolutely sucks against the pass.

overcast

edit: Right now it's RG3 for:

Brockers, Jenkins, Rok Watkins, Isiah Pead, Alec Ogletree, ATL's 3rd, ATL's 6th, and a 2014 1st
Man, that is great. We had so many problems, and we won't be great, but this is the right direction to go in. Add some depth. Maybe try improving at the RB position significantly next year? (I have no clue if there will be any great RB's coming out).

Love the pick! Naturally I'd have preferred to trade back and snag him but 1. we obviously tried given how much of the clock we ate up and Rams were the only team that traded up in the range we wanted and they obviously aren't going to give us a pick if they have a choice and 2. given where the other guards went, I don't think we'd have gotten him moving back.

RG was easily our weakest position with Snyder being our worst starter. Cooper addresses our greatest need (though not highest value need, would still have taken Joeckel or Fischer over him) and was a BPA candidate at the same time. So I could give a shit if no one takes Guards this early, it was a very smart pick. Especially when it's a bad year for skill positions which normally claim most of the top 10.

I've also decided Cooper makes more sense than Warmack for our scheme on top of being more athletic and far brighter. Not only does this go a long way towards fixing our OL, but it also should provide a huge boost to our run game. If Mendy stays healthy, he'll have the blocking he needs to return to form and we'll have a deadly offense. Laugh all you want about Palmer but with the weapons we have and the improved protection, I think we'll surprise people this year.

Congrats to Panther-GAF for a steal with Star and fuck you Niners for snagging Reid! Wanted him with our next pick.

I'm satisfied with our 10 pick. We went through a lot if offense lineman due to injuries. Hopefully it can manage locker to stay in the pocket a couple of seconds longer

Nameless

I like the Reid pick. He's the most complete, tested, and field-ready safety in the draft and his weaknesses are coachable. Not saying he'll be a superstar but he could defintely project into a Goldson tier player. He had a tendency to play up to the level talent around him in college so you would think San Francisco is an ideal spot for him to develop. His football disposition certainly meshes with our defense's personality.

So much talent left on the board. We have to go with Tank; he has the highest ceiling of players available in need positions, but I'm not going to lie, Lacy running behind our o-line is tempting. And Ertz!!!!! Love Ertz. Not sure if he's Gronk with a higher IQ & less STDs or Kyle Brady, but he'd fill a major need and would be fun to cheer for.

Rorschach

I want to set myself on fire.

Let's see how they fuck day 2 up.

You know I've been there, bro! I feel like we're on our way out of that hell and, hopefully, you will be soon too!

This is another part I hated about the new draft format, coming from a shitty drafting team's perspective: either not having picks for an entire day or spreading the hurt out over three days. If Al was around, I'd have no second round to watch and I'd have nothing but a feeling of trepidation waiting for the third. At least now, I feel anxious to see what's next instead of anguish.

cdyhybrid

I am a Sooner fan and watched nearly every game he played, and until the draft process started I had no idea we had a top rated tackle. I don't think anyone had heard of him until the Senior Bowl. The Big12 isn't like the SEC. There really aren't top flight defensive players to go against, but he did handle Moore from A&M in the Cotton Bowl

He's an athletic freak which I think is what makes him so intriguing to the NFL. To me he seems to lack the frame to put on much more weight or muscle, but maybe Chip wants his OL to play small

I think Chip would prefer his linemen around 300lbs and being able to run rather than 315+ mammoths.

LJ11

What's the worst receiver on the board we could wind up with while reaching/spending too much? Marquise Goodwin?
They'll take Te'o over someone good, I can just see that happening. Didn't play in the south though, so there's that. Pick someone from the South, that's the guy.

Mayock calling Manuel a piece of clay is perfect. I mold pieces of clays every day, just molded one a few minutes ago, sent the pic to FMT.

They'll take Te'o over someone good, I can just see that happening. Didn't play in the south though, so there's that. Pick someone from the South, that's the guy.

Mayock calling Manuel a piece of clay is perfect. I mold pieces of clays every day, just molded one a few minutes ago, sent the pic to FMT.
:jnc

0ap1000000163681.jpg

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Watched about an hour of Jarvis Jones cut ups. Some of the best tape I've ever watched. Absolutely dominant at times against high level competition. Went ham on Florida in my latest watch. Loves to strip the football and shows a great aptitude for it, something the Steelers sorely need. He possesses a great first step and burst.

Solely from the tape, I love the pick. There are three things of concern to me.

Firstly, his neck. I don't feel like there's a consensus on whether or not it's an issue. Did some teams feel it was too risky to take him and the Steelers got the ok from their staff? The Steelers training staff are one of my least favorite groups of people and I don't trust them as far as I can punt them.

Jarvis' pass moves consist of 90% speed rush. At least. It worked for him, so I can't complain. Will he have more variety or pick up some tips before he's asked to play in the league? I hope so. He's also not the best at shedding blocks. He's pretty good, though. He lacks the ideal size to stand toe to toe with an NFL tackle.

Finally, the measurables, and their implications. As mentioned, Jones doesn't have ideal size for olb in a 3-4. And then there's the 40 time. 4.9+ It's not good. Even worse, I watched his pro day and his form was terrible. He could have shaved .2 with some slight mechanical changes. "But, chuck," you say, "shouldn't that make you feel better?" No. In this day and age, every single draft prospect goes and works out especially for these drills and even more specifically, the 40. So, what the fuck was Jones doing? Didn't care, didn't want to and has a shit agent are the possibilities. Not exactly making me feel warm and fuzzy.

All in all, I'm fine with this pick. I'm not over the moon, but, as I've stated plenty of times, this isn't a draft stocked with can't miss studs. Jones is coming into a great situation for him as he'll be asked to get after the quarterback and the scheme is geared to get him good match ups.

cdyhybrid

This Elway to Marino doc is crazy. Entire course of the league could have changed depending on a pick or trade here and there. And the 83 draft was unbelievably stacked.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Is Geno actually not going back to the draft tomorrow? Yeesh. I was willing to take a second round flyer on him but if he cant even handle the pressure of a draft I dont want you on my team.

cdyhybrid

Is Geno actually not going back to the draft tomorrow? Yeesh. I was willing to take a second round flyer on him but if he cant even handle the pressure of a draft I dont want you on my team.

Yeah that's a bad look. He'd earn a lot of respect if he just toughed it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom