• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
sXvpz7t.jpg

Justin Pugh at the Senior Bowl. Good pick Giants.

I'm a fucking comedy genius

squicken

The biggest stat on Geno are those 32 fumbles. He also took 2 safeties in his bowl game this year. This for a team that throws a third of its passes behind the LoS, mostly from shotgun. He's not really a good runner and his pocket presence is bad. He's just not an NFL QB

Continuing thoughts from my last comment, the other big issue I see with the Phins Jordan pick is that it basically makes the Albert deal a necessity. Considering the importance of this year for Ireland I can't see him starting a 2nd round or later rookie at LT or RT, so now the Dolphins will almost assuredly do what it takes to bring in Albert. That seems like a big mistake to me.

I just don't get it. Why would you not take Lane Johnson if you're going to sacrifice a second round pick to move up to three? Why not take the surefire bet and take care of the biggest need for your team? It just doesn't make sense to me.

kamspy

Our local (Cincy) twitter contrarian sports dudes are bitching about the Eifirt pick. I find it lul worthy. I said a small prayer yesterday he would drop.

Thank you based Marvin.

Draxal

Syrcause alum maybe? I don't know, maybe she was just excited to be on TV. NFLN was showing her a ton for some reason. Maybe because she's a 10 compared to the rest of monsters that were in the crowd.

Reminds me of the Giants "fan" at the super bowl parade who was excited about Matt Sanchez.

LJ11

we'll see next year, he didn't do bad his first year.

Like the Richardson pick, guarantees we have a good DL at least- no JAGS on that line anymore definitely.
You're right, Coples did alright, I just think they're hurting him if they continue to rush him from the outside. Whatever, they know what they're doing.

jmdajr

Still hard to fathom that we actually have a legit #2 WR opposite Dre. If we snag Minter in the second round I will be ecstatic and my hope for the season will return.

Of course all this hinges on Schaub getting hit by a bus and TJ is our starter.

Pretty crazy.

So now we have like.. 4 people we can throw to. Andre, Owen, Foster and now DeAndre.
But the question is can he block like greatest blocking WR in the history of football..Kevin Walter

Milchjon

Still hard to fathom that we actually have a legit #2 WR opposite Dre. If we snag Minter in the second round I will be ecstatic and my hope for the season will return.

Of course all this hinges on Schaub getting hit by a bus and TJ is our starter.

Hyper-useless fact of the day: The pacifier brand which spawned Hopkins' nickname is German. NUK is short for "natürlich und kindgerecht" (natural and suitable for children), which I guess makes it the most fitting nickname for any NFL athlete ever.

effzee

I missed the live coverage and the reactions here so bare with me if I end up repeating the same stuff that has been mentioned the past 10 pages:

Dolphins really fucked everyone over. I was so sure we were picking Dion Jordan. Fuck them. And the Raiders didn't get enough in return, which is the only reason I think the trade wasn't with the Eagles instead. I think eventhough they missed out on Dion Jordan the Eagles did the right thing not taking that weak trade down deal and still picked one of the 4 guys they had penned in at that spot. Eagles were going to take Fisher, Jokcel, L. Johnson, or Dion Jordan. Whoever fell to them unless a trade down really blew them away. They came away with their guy even if Dion was the more sexy pick. Again fuck Miami.

More WTFs:

Jets: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL HAHAHA Why do even think I should give them any credit or chance to be competent? Sure Milliner was the top CB and DT Richardson was one of the top defensive players in the draft but for a team that has lacked any offensive fire power for almost 3 years now, has glaring needs at WR/TE/RB and the right side of the OLINE they didn't even pick one offensive players?

Bills: WTF? THIS WAS OUR GUY YOU ASSHOLES! But lol for picking him at 15. He might still been there in the 2nd round but instead they picked him there. Actually this might pan out to be a great pick in 2-3 years but for now at 15 complete shock. Anger too since this was our guy!

Raiders: Ok fine you moved down. And you got a mediocre deal in return but for Hayden? Possibly the best CB and at 12 not too bad but Sharif Floyd was right there. Why the hell did he drop so much? Good character guy who could have fit any of the top teams.

Dallas: HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH LOL WTF? Ok actually I should applaud this. Good job Jerry Jones

SF: Don't agree that he was better than Elam but at this point have to trust that FO brain trust.

Bears: Manti might have been the better pick here. Long is who I wanted the Eagles to get if they didn't get their Tackle at 4, but not in the first. Most people had him as a 2nd or possibly 3rd round pick.

Winners or at least GOOD logical picks:

Basically the rest of the teams. Miami if they add Albert really did an amazing job not giving up much and picking Jordan. Rams with Austin and then moving to the very end to pick another solid guy. Patriots added 5 picks by trading one of the last picks in the first round.

squicken

I'm happy. Screw the haters.

You didn't draft Teo and it's not like the draft is swimming with great prospects. Patterrson can be a game changer, but it will take awhile and he'll need to be coached up. Good draft. You can switch to iced tea in the evening

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm hoping Carradine falls to Detroit but I don't see it happening.

Menelik Watson would be a great pickup, though, as would Arthur Brown.

BlackGhost said:
The biggest surprise yesterday was Grudens reactions.

I watched NFLN specifically to stay away from Gruden's "EVERYBODY IS AMAZING" routine and Mayock did the exact same thing while Gruden was analytical.

Watched about an hour of Jarvis Jones cut ups. Some of the best tape I've ever watched. Absolutely dominant at times against high level competition. Went ham on Florida in my latest watch. Loves to strip the football and shows a great aptitude for it, something the Steelers sorely need. He possesses a great first step and burst.

Solely from the tape, I love the pick. There are three things of concern to me.

Firstly, his neck. I don't feel like there's a consensus on whether or not it's an issue. Did some teams feel it was too risky to take him and the Steelers got the ok from their staff? The Steelers training staff are one of my least favorite groups of people and I don't trust them as far as I can punt them.

Jarvis' pass moves consist of 90% speed rush. At least. It worked for him, so I can't complain. Will he have more variety or pick up some tips before he's asked to play in the league? I hope so. He's also not the best at shedding blocks. He's pretty good, though. He lacks the ideal size to stand toe to toe with an NFL tackle.

Finally, the measurables, and their implications. As mentioned, Jones doesn't have ideal size for olb in a 3-4. And then there's the 40 time. 4.9+ It's not good. Even worse, I watched his pro day and his form was terrible. He could have shaved .2 with some slight mechanical changes. "But, chuck," you say, "shouldn't that make you feel better?" No. In this day and age, every single draft prospect goes and works out especially for these drills and even more specifically, the 40. So, what the fuck was Jones doing? Didn't care, didn't want to and has a shit agent are the possibilities. Not exactly making me feel warm and fuzzy.

All in all, I'm fine with this pick. I'm not over the moon, but, as I've stated plenty of times, this isn't a draft stocked with can't miss studs. Jones is coming into a great situation for him as he'll be asked to get after the quarterback and the scheme is geared to get him good match ups.

What i've read is that Jones bulked up for the combine, then pulled a hammy before it, hence the slow time.

Word is also that he hates the gym. Terrible practice guy, but shows up on gameday. Sound like anybody else you know on the Steelers?

The stenosis is a huge concern for me. Shit like that doesn't go away, especially for a position that puts constant pressure on the neck.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I missed the live coverage and the reactions here so bare with me if I end up repeating the same stuff that has been mentioned the past 10 pages:

Dolphins really fucked everyone over. I was so sure we were picking Dion Jordan. Fuck them. And the Raiders didn't get enough in return, which is the only reason I think the trade wasn't with the Eagles instead. I think eventhough they missed out on Dion Jordan the Eagles did the right thing not taking that weak trade down deal and still picked one of the 4 guys they had penned in at that spot. Eagles were going to take Fisher, Jokcel, L. Johnson, or Dion Jordan. Whoever fell to them unless a trade down really blew them away. They came away with their guy even if Dion was the more sexy pick. Again fuck Miami.

More WTFs:

Jets: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL HAHAHA Why do even think I should give them any credit or chance to be competent? Sure Milliner was the top CB and DT Richardson was one of the top defensive players in the draft but for a team that has lacked any offensive fire power for almost 3 years now, has glaring needs at WR/TE/RB and the right side of the OLINE they didn't even pick one offensive players?

Bills: WTF? THIS WAS OUR GUY YOU ASSHOLES! But lol for picking him at 15. He might still been there in the 2nd round but instead they picked him there. Actually this might pan out to be a great pick in 2-3 years but for now at 15 complete shock. Anger too since this was our guy!

Raiders: Ok fine you moved down. And you got a mediocre deal in return but for Hayden? Possibly the best CB and at 12 not too bad but Sharif Floyd was right there. Why the hell did he drop so much? Good character guy who could have fit any of the top teams.

Dallas: HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH LOL WTF? Ok actually I should applaud this. Good job Jerry Jones

SF: Don't agree that he was better than Elam but at this point have to trust that FO brain trust.

Bears: Manti might have been the better pick here. Long is who I wanted the Eagles to get if they didn't get their Tackle at 4, but not in the first. Most people had him as a 2nd or possibly 3rd round pick.

Winners or at least GOOD logical picks:

Basically the rest of the teams. Miami if they add Albert really did an amazing job not giving up much and picking Jordan. Rams with Austin and then moving to the very end to pick another solid guy. Patriots added 5 picks by trading one of the last picks in the first round.

Why does this even matter? I mean really.

The Jets are going to suck this year. Everybody knows it. You might as well let Rex do the one thing hes good at and thats coach a defense. So draft some kids who can learn under him and then fire his ass at the end of the year after a top 5 pick is locked up.

Then bring in a coach who knows something about offense, draft your franchise QB and bring in other young weapons around him next season.

So Ruben Frank and Ray Diddinger were both saying they didnt like the pick the Eagles made. Ruben said he isnt NFL ready and there is no way to know when he will be NFL ready since he is such a project.

Ray said he had really poor technique, he cant anchor and will need to put on a lot of weight, he said he is incredibly raw and that his tape was no where near the level of guys like Luke or Fischer. He also said that if he was making that pick he wouldnt have taken Lane.

This really feels like Howie was just determined to show people how smart he was and he took a huge reach based on upside. I just cant believe the 4th best player was an undersized OT that 2 years ago was playing QB. Hopefully they can still salvage the draft in the later rounds. At least the Cowboys and Redskins didnt do anything to improve their teams last night.

Steelers also REALLY loved Jones. They didn't go to his workout because they thought they had no chance at 17. Then he ran the slow 40 and the Steelers knew he was in play.

For what it's worth, i'm not worried at all about the slow 40 time. From what tape i've seen of him he doesn't play that slow at all.

Tamanon

Banned
So, Joeckel will play Right Tackle while Eugene Monroe will play Left Tackle for the Jags. I am perfectly happy with that. Now, there's really no excuse for Gabbert's happy feet, we've got a couple rocks protecting him. Now to see if we grab a QB or a CB tonight. Or trade down and get both!

Slo

You didn't draft Teo and it's not like the draft is swimming with great prospects. Patterrson can be a game changer, but it will take awhile and he'll need to be coached up. Good draft. You can switch to iced tea in the evening

:jnc I'll switch when Patterson delivers and no sooner!

Cant believe the Pats got 4 picks for their 1st.

Yep, Vikes really mortgaged the farm. I'm okay with it because I like that they're flopping the cock right on the table and trying to turn this shit around. If it works, awesome, if it doesn't then we lost a starter or two.

The way I try to rationalize it is that we gave up three picks to turn our 2nd rounder into a 1st rounder, and those picks were a 3rd, a 4th, and a 7th. The 3rd rounder stings because that guy should turn out to be a starter, and the 4th rounder usually is a solid contributor. The 7th rounder is basically a practice squad guy.

Still, the Pats did what the Pats usually do. BB is usually the smartest guy in the room. We'll assume that they 'won' that trade until we see if Patterson turns out.

For almost every other team I love the trade. But NE needs impact players, not decent roster fillers. Maybe BB didn't like the WRs in the draft, but he still needs to try. Let McD make the pick. One of his few talents is spotting WRs

I think they try to trade up fpr Woods and maybe draft another wr and draft defense for the rest.

For almost every other team I love the trade. But NE needs impact players, not decent roster fillers. Maybe BB didn't like the WRs in the draft, but he still needs to try. Let McD make the pick. One of his few talents is spotting WRs

Normally I'd agree with you but I think the talent will be just as good when the Pats pick as it was yesterday.

Also, it was so delicious to see the Pats fuck up the league's constant sucking off of their team.

So help me out here if you know more about Jordan than I do. Is he going to be able to smoothly make the transition from 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE?

CrankyJay

Banned
Poor Bills...getting shit on for their EJ pick.

I heard Geno Smith walked out of the draft early in disgust and doesn't plan to go back tonight. What a fucking baby. He's only hurting his own draft status.

brentech

Day 2 and 3 is usually when Ted works his magic. Can't wait.

He has done pretty good with 2nd round picks. I'm happy with the guy we got yesterday. I've been saying we needed a DE the last 3 years it seems, mostly because I wasn't sure when Pickett would end up gone or retiring. But no one has really came to the other side and played all that well either.

Hopefully Worthy will get better and act as a level of depth or Jones can make an early impact on the line.
I'd like to pick up good sized LBer or safety here soon.

So help me out here if you know more about Jordan than I do. Is he going to be able to smoothly make the transition from 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE?

Every single thing I heard about him before the draft was that he would play in a 3-4. I just dont see how he holds up as a 4-3DE, maybe they will play him in a joker type role though.

effzee

Reid picked Kolb. Your boy!

The facts you don't like the pick makes me feel way better about it.

Yeah WTF. Picking a top Tackle is the worst move and worst than anything Reid did? Are you serious?

Andy Reid just 2 years ago picked Danny Watkins, who by drafting Lane Johnson, the Eagles have pretty much announced is an official bust.

Eagles stuck to their board and picked the BPA. Jordan was taken. The other tackles were taken Johnson might be the best fit for them anyway.

Solves actually 3 positions. Todd back in, RT solidified, Watkins is depth now instead of a bust starting, and in 2 years when Peters is a FA they can move Lane to LT if they don't think Peters has much left in his tank.

From left to right: Peters (LT), Evan Mathis (LG), Kelce (C), Todd (RG), and Lane Johnson (RT). With guys like Watkins as depth? Pretty awesome projected starting OLINE granted everyone is back healthy and stays healthy. Could be top 5 especially with a renewed focus on running the ball.

Use the rest of the draft to stock up at S, LB, DE, and TE.

Rorschach

Kolb wasn't a bad pick for the Eagles. He was an investment that paid off in spades. They got a higher pick than they paid for him and DRC.

[edit]Can't wait for Patterson hijinks.

Quazar

Everyone did good besides Dallas and Bills. I know some Phin fans are a little upset, but I had Dion Jordan going 4th to Philly, so worked out for them.

The morning after. Read some interviews with Schwartz and Mayhew about drafting Ansah. Its a 2 hour drive to Detroit, but I can probably make it during lunch. Someone needs to slap the stupid out of them

BigAT

I don't know all that much about him, but to me 248 lbs. seems pretty undersized to be an every down 4-3 DE in the NFL. I like how the guys on NFLN last night were like "Don't worry, this is a guy that will put on 20 pounds of muscle in the next two years" as though that's just something people can do whenever they want.

I don't know all that much about him, but to me 248 lbs. seems pretty undersized to be an every down 4-3 DE in the NFL. I like how the guys on NFLN last night were like "Don't worry, this is a guy that will put on 20 pounds of muscle in the next two years" as though that's just something people can do whenever they want.
Exactly. And it's a lean 248 at that, the guy is 6'6".

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The morning after. Read some interviews with Schwartz and Mayhew about drafting Ansah. Its a 2 hour drive to Detroit, but I can probably make it during lunch. Someone needs to slap the stupid out of them

I've been watching this clip over and over again to cheer myself up and then keep hoping he pans out.

http://youtu.be/yazeUWvs0wY

Edit: Justin Hunter is still available. Watch Detroit take him with their 2nd round pick.

Poor Bills...getting shit on for their EJ pick.

Watching some videos and interviews with the guy and he seems smart. I'm guessing Marrone and his coaches figure they can coach him up more than they could Nassib or Barkley or Smith. And considering Marrone played against Geno and Barkley several times and coached Nassib, he probably knows more about them than most. I hope so at least.

At the end of the day, the Bills were able to get their choice of QB and they picked up an extra 2nd round pick. I'm glad they took their QB of choice in the first as opposed to waiting, since looking at the early 2nd round teams that pick before the Bills, there is a chance Geno, Nassib and Barkley might be gone by the time the Bills pick and the Eagles might have taken EJ in the 2nd.

That extra 2nd rounder for the Bills is nice too. Figure they can maybe get a WR like Hunter, maybe a ILB like Minter or a TE like Ertz. They're in a pretty good position to get a couple good players.

So long as they don't get Te'o, I'll be happy.

I'm happy with the Trufant pick. I read that we moved up because they thought Minnesota was planning on grabbing him, which is possible since they ended up taking Rhodes.

Only lost a 3rd and a 6th so I'm not upset about the move. Still have 8 picks left.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Watching some videos and interviews with the guy and he seems smart. I'm guessing Marrone and his coaches figure they can coach him up more than they could Nassib or Barkley or Smith. And considering Marrone played against Geno and Barkley several times and coached Nassib, he probably knows more about them than most. I hope so at least.

At the end of the day, the Bills were able to get their choice of QB and they picked up an extra 2nd round pick. I'm glad they took their QB of choice in the first as opposed to waiting, since looking at the early 2nd round teams that pick before the Bills, there is a chance Geno, Nassib and Barkley might be gone by the time the Bills pick and the Eagles might have taken EJ in the 2nd.

That extra 2nd rounder for the Bills is nice too. Figure they can maybe get a WR like Hunter, maybe a ILB like Minter or a TE like Ertz. They're in a pretty good position to get a couple good players.

So long as they don't get Te'o, I'll be happy.

I agree with most of this, but the scouting reports all say that EJ was not going in the first round. We do get 2 second round picks, which I'm excited about - hopefully we make some attempt to shore up our pass defense, but I'm not sold on EJ as anything special. I want to see him learn how to do more than check the first read and then run. I've been watching film on the guy since the pick and he's...he's just not impressive. I want to be impressed by a QB that we take in the first round of a draft where no others were taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom