• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

NawidA

Banned
Is Geno actually not going back to the draft tomorrow? Yeesh. I was willing to take a second round flyer on him but if he cant even handle the pressure of a draft I dont want you on my team.
Is it possible that he has a flight tomorrow?

UberTag

Is Geno actually not going back to the draft tomorrow? Yeesh. I was willing to take a second round flyer on him but if he cant even handle the pressure of a draft I dont want you on my team.
As fun as it is to rip on my team, let's break down the QB picture here.

There were 4 QBs in this class that rated as "decent".

- One of them has arm-strength concerns, is coming off a separated shoulder and has never played in cold weather before.
- One of them took his ball and went home to pout after not getting drafted in the 1st round.
- One of them his own former coach of 4 years (3 years as a starter) didn't want.
- We got the 4th guy. And a couple extra draft picks in the bargain.

ChanHuk

Banned
A flight to...OAKLAND?! *DUNDUUUNDUUUUUUUUUN*

......fuck......you......Dutch.......Pats fans are the worst of the worst.

That being said, my PSP has CFW on it and has the following games loaded: Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, Jeanne D'Arc, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Megaman Hunter X, and Megaman Powered Up. I have Ultimate Ghouls and Ghost somewhere, but WHERE TO START NFL GAF?! Leaning towards Valkyria Chronicles 2 but probably could use some different after blowing through Valkyria Chronicles 1.

Is it possible that he has a flight tomorrow?

Maybe but he still handled the situation poorly. Being upset/sad is natural, nothing wrong with that (see: Aaron Rodgers when he fell into the late first round). But Geno looked fucking defeated. I wouldn't want that imagine on my team, I'd rather have a mad, defiant guy in the green room putting each team that rejected him on his shit list.

cdyhybrid

......fuck......you......Dutch.......Pats fans are the worst of the worst.

That being said, my PSP has CFW on it and has the following games loaded: Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, Jeanne D'Arc, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Megaman Hunter X, and Megaman Powered Up. I have Ultimate Ghouls and Ghost somewhere, but WHERE TO START NFL GAF?! Leaning towards Valkyria Chronicles 2 but probably could use some different after blowing through Valkyria Chronicles 1.

Tactics is the second-best game ever, so I would play that if I were in that situation.

UberTag

Why didn't the bills take Ryan Nassib?
2013 NFL Draft rumors: Doug Marrone likes E.J. Manuel - Blog update from Wednesday, April 24th (aka the day before the draft)

Tony Pauline of DraftInsider.net, one of the better-connected NFL Draft reporters in the business, isn't buying the rhetoric that the Buffalo Bills are interested in making Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib their next franchise quarterback. He said as much in a Wednesday night appearance on The John Murphy Show.

"I'm hearing from league insiders - the vast majority would be surprised if they go in that direction that early in the draft," Pauline told Murphy. "In fact, people have told me that Nassib may not be their top quarterback, and that's something I reported after the Senior Bowl."

Who, then, might sit ahead of Nassib on Buffalo's draft board? Pauline had an answer for that, as well.

"I hear that Doug Marrone really favors E.J. Manuel of Florida State," Pauline said, "for a number of reasons. He'd do a better job at running the read-option, which Marrone tried at Syracuse with Nassib. He's got better physical skills; he's got a better arm than Nassib - and you're going to need somebody with a strong arm to get that ball cut through the winds at Ralph Wilson Stadium in the months of November and December. I think that Manuel comes with more downside risk when you compare him to Nassib - he's not as NFL ready - but if you can coach him correctly and get him throwing with fundamentally sound mechanics and making proper decisions, you're going to have a franchise quarterback there for the next decade."

As fun as it is to rip on my team, let's break down the QB picture here.

There were 4 QBs in this class that rated as "decent".

- One of them has arm-strength concerns, is coming off a separated shoulder and has never played in cold weather before.
- One of them took his ball and went home to pout after not getting drafted in the 1st round.
- One of them his own former coach of 4 years (3 years as a starter) didn't want.
- We got the 4th guy. And a couple extra draft picks in the bargain.

The guy they got has area code accuracy, forces throws into coverage, and only looks at half the field. The Bills put need before brains with that pick. Just because you have a QB need doesn't mean you throw draft value out the window and take a QB with only a "decent" grade in the first round. They should have filled a different need there, perhaps take a developmental QB later, and hope that next years QB class is better and try and strike then.

UberTag

The guy they got has area code accuracy, forces throws into coverage, and only looks at half the field. The Bills put need before brains with that pick. Just because you have a QB need doesn't mean you throw draft value out the window and take a QB with only a "decent" grade in the first round. They should have filled a different need there, perhaps take a developmental QB later, and hope that next years QB class is better and try and strike then.
I won't argue with you there, either. I was sort of hoping for that. Wanted the team to tank it and go 0-16. Pillage next year's draft class.
But that's just not the Buffalo Bills way. They're not smart like the Colts.
Perhaps that could have been an option had they ridden Chan and Fitz into the ground for another year.

ChanHuk

Banned
Tactics is the second-best game ever, so I would play that if I were in that situation.

Tactics Ogre or Final Fantasy Tactics? Regardless; they're both second to Valkyria Chronicles on PS3. PSP with CFW is pretty awesome, native PSX emulation and awesome PSP JRPGs.

cdyhybrid

Tactics Ogre or Final Fantasy Tactics? Regardless; they're both second to Valkyria Chronicles on PS3. PSP with CFW is pretty awesome, native PSX emulation and awesome PSP JRPGs.

FFT. Didn't even register in my head that Tactics could also refer to Tactics Ogre, I've always called FFT just "Tactics".

UberTag

QUARTERBACK HUNGRY TEAMS - Round 2

33 - Jacksonville Jaguars
35 - Philadelphia Eagles
38 - Arizona Cardinals
39 - New York Jets
42 - Oakland Raiders

SonnyBoy

I'm not shocked that Geno wasn't picked, it seemed like his stock rose because of the read/option hype. He would have been a middle/late rounds pick if the Redskins hadn't introduced it into the NFL and they, the Hawks and 9er's didn't have the success they did.

Wes

venison crêpe
Seems that the Browns could've done the trade with the Rams that the Bills got. Kind of wish we'd done that now.

I'm not shocked that Geno wasn't picked, it seemed like his stock rose because of the read/option hype. He would have been a middle/late rounds pick if the Redskins hadn't introduced it into the NFL and they, the Hawks and 9er's didn't have the success they did.

Geno isn't really a read/option guy is he? Because he's a black QB, that doesn't necessary makes him a running QB.

SonnyBoy

Geno isn't really a read/option guy is he? Because he's a black QB, that doesn't necessary makes him a running QB.

When I've been watching some of the pre-draft stuff, they always mentioned him in the same breath as the others. I don't watch College football and just go off of the articles and crap I indulge in leading up to the draft. But I thought he was viewed as a dual-threat QB.

If I'm just regurgitating misinformation, than I'm in the wrong.

BigAT

2154d678-dae6-413c-b706-7c9aba5cd160_giantsfan1.gif

When I've been watching some of the pre-draft stuff, they always mentioned him in the same breath as the others. I don't watch College football and just go off of the articles and crap I indulge in leading up to the draft. 3

It's clear you're a racist. ;)

In all seriousness, reading about him, Geno is mostly about passing, he's somewhat athletic, he can run for a first if the oppurtunity presents itself, but he's a pass first guy. He doesn't come close to having the speed/running skills of a RGIII/Kaep.

SonnyBoy

It's clear you're a racist. ;)

In all seriousness, reading about him, Geno is mostly about passing, he's somewhat athletic, he can run for a first if the oppurtunity presents itself, but he's a pass first guy. He doesn't come close to having the speed/running skills of a RGIII/Kaep.

Clayton Bigsby confirmed! lol No, it's crazy how reading back over my reply...it could def be taken the wrong way. LMAO

In all seriousness, thanks for the explanation.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
When I've been watching some of the pre-draft stuff, they always mentioned him in the same breath as the others. I don't watch College football and just go off of the articles and crap I indulge in leading up to the draft. But I thought he was viewed as a dual-threat QB.

To quote LBJ check his stats

Talon

Racist.

Don't forget the Phins trading up to 3rd to take Jordan, when they needed to replace Long...
I've been thinking about this a lot since last night and I'm still not sure how to feel.

First of all, Jordan is an OLB who played in a 3-4 system, and now he'll presumably be asked to play the DE role in Miami's 4-3 (Miami retained Kevin Coyle, last year's defensive coordinator so I'm assuming they keep the 4-3). I don't know a lot about Jordan and obviously the Dolphins don't see this as an issue but at best it seems a little risky to me for the third overall pick in the draft.

The other thing is, Jordan will be lining up across from Cam Wake who had size questions when he came to Miami (he's 6'3" 258 lbs), but Cam's got 10 pounds on Jordan (plus Jordan is 6'6"). I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan takes on a third down pass rushing role during his first season, because there have to be questions about him playing every down as a 4-3 DE. I'd like to hear more opinions on this though since I don't really know a lot about the guy besides that.

One other thing, this pick basically confirmed another draft failure for Ireland, Jared Odrick in the first round in 2010. Odrick played decently last year but tailed off towards the end and never really developed into the pass rusher that the Phins wanted, and it looks like they're already preparing to write him off if the Jordan pick is any indication.

And there are still so many positions that seem like bigger needs to me. CB and OT are the most glaring. Was it really worth giving up a second round pick for this?

I hope Ireland knows what he's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom