• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
It sounds like the Dolphins are looking at using Dallas Thomas as a T even though he played more G at Tennessee. One reporter asked Philbin why wouldn't Tennessee keep him at T if he was effective there and he said, "Again, I didn't coach Tennessee. You'll have to ask those guys."

This line situation is troubling.
That quote would be scary if I were a QB

Brinbe

Let's also let it sink in that the Jest have FIVE QBs (Tebow/Buttfumble/Garrard/Geno) on roster right now, and McElroy might end up being the best one of all!

BigAT

Let's also let it sink in that the Jest have FIVE QBs on roster right now, and McElroy might end up being the best one of all!

Let it sink in that you UNDERESTIMATED the number of quarterbacks on the Jets roster at FIVE. They also have Matt Simms on their roster.

effzee

Great qb's make the players around them not the other way around.

The days of making a super team and having Troy Aikman be the uptight guy who is not great but good enough not to fuck things up are over.

If you can't get a franchise qb then you need a qb who can read a defense and has at least one great skill (ie Flacco who can't do anything by throw screens and bombs but he is really good at both). Trash like Sanchez is just going to hold a good team back. Without cameras and black magic a shit qb like that will never win a championship.

I don't see how or why it has to be two extremes. And the Ravens provided Flacco with a running game. Ray Rice is one of the best in the game. A solid OLINE and oh yeah Boldin made Flacco not the other way around. Troy Smith a deep threat.

How can the Jets really determine what they have when since they drafted him each year they have reduced the talent level around him? Sure you want your QB to be one of those rare 2-3 guys who can just elevate any and every team regardless of talent, but unless you hit on one of those guys you should recognize you drafted this guy pretty damn high, committed tons of money to him, but probably need to provide some talent around him to maximize whatever he can do.

Why in the world would you not want to surround your QB with talent? And especially if in the first 2 years with a mediocre offense the team went to 2 AFCCGs wouldn't it be logical to improve the offense at some point?

Geno said the Jets were going to the playoffs?

DREAM TEAM!

I think he was just so shocked, happy, and relieved he was started babbling. He looked completely lost on stage almost walked off before taking more pictures.

Also was Wayne Cherbert on drugs? He looked high as fuck.

effzee

Watching Ertz's highlights he looks more like a WR then a TE. I am really liking the picks the Eagles made yesterday. Ertz is bigger then Anquan Boldin and ran a better 40 then him. If only the Eagles had a guy that could reliably get him the ball. I hope they take Matt Scott today.

Yeah I really like all three of our pick ups. Like you I think my first preference was Jordan then whoever else, but Lane Johnson was preference 1b instead of option # 10.

Ertz and Johnson fit right into what Chip wants to do on offense. They have to play but their skill set added to the already talented group of skill position players is getting me hyped for this offense.

Bennie Logan apparently is an amazing locker room leader and someone who makes up for his solid but not spectacular play by just being an amazing presence in the locker room. Wore #18 for LSU. Big dude too.

Still concerns for our LBs/End rushers and the secondary. We have guys who started for other good organizations but they are just solid guys. I think we need to address the secondary/LB the rest of the way.

Yeah I really like all three of our pick ups. Like you I think my first preference was Jordan then whoever else, but Lane Johnson was preference 1b instead of option # 10.

Ertz and Johnson fit right into what Chip wants to do on offense. They have to play but their skill set added to the already talented group of skill position players is getting my hyped for this offense.

Bennie Logan apparently is an amazing locker room leader and someone who makes up for his solid but spectacular play by just being an amazing presence in the locker room. Wore #18 for LSU. Big dude too.

Still concerns for our LBs/End rushers and the secondary. We have guys who started for other good organizations but they are just solid guys. I think we need to address the secondary/LB the rest of the way.

Yeah CB and safety are major needs. Did you hear Chip say yesterday that the Eagles dont have a single hole on the team? LOL at that. If Dion Jordan had fallen to the Eagles I would be totally in love with this draft and offseason, as it is they have done a lot to add players and improve the overall talent on the team. I just hope Chips offense works in the NFL, and that they can find a QB to run it.

I'm feeling more optimistic about the Lions draft. This cannot be a good thing.

I was just going to say that. I'm at the bargaining stage with Ansah right now and I really like the Slay/Warford picks. I like Big Larry a lot, personally. Plugs right in at guard! If Detroit finds a way to draft Barrett Jones today, ill apologize to Jim and Martin for slapping their shit around Thursday

Slo

So is Sanchez gone for sure? The Jets have Geno who's a lock to make the team, Sanchez, Tebow, McElroy, and Dave Garrard right?

Who do you keep? Garrard to mentor Geno and McElroy to be the contingency?

So is Sanchez gone for sure? The Jets have Geno who's a lock to make the team, Sanchez, Tebow, McElroy, and Dave Garrard right?

The only for sure thing with the Jets is that they will be a circus of garbage.

They'll cut Tebow. Someone will take a flyer on him, someone who has a top tier QB already so there's no notion of a competition.

If Jax picks him up there will be a circus. Tebow is awful but is he worse than Gabbert?

Garrard is an open question mark. The guy hasn't played for 3 years. He could still easily be the best QB on that team.

Sanchize could be day 1 starter, but it's not because of his talent, it's because of his contract.

Garrard->McElroy->Geno would be three I'd keep. I'd say "play for Clowney" but when you just blew a 2nd rounder on Geno I assume they are committing to him being the guy sometime in the near future.

:jnc all around.

Doorman

I was just going to say that. I'm at the bargaining stage with Ansah right now and I really like the Slay/Warford picks. I like Big Larry a lot, personally. Plugs right in at guard! If Detroit finds a way to draft Barrett Jones today, ill apologize to Jim and Martin for slapping their shit around Thursday

As someone who still doesn't feel optimistic about the Lions draft, can I legitimately ask what it is about Slay that has you feeling satisfied at all? I just can't wrap my head around why they'd take a corner in the second round unless it means that they're already giving up on Bentley and the rest of the trio they drafted last year. I could understand if he was some 6'4" physical specimen that you can plug in against another team's number 1 receiver, but the guy's barely any taller than Dwight.

Crazy to see Barkley fall like this, to think a year ago Browns probably would of drafted him in the First for the West coast Offense.
Edit: also get Pioli off the TV smh

WedgeX

Banned
All of our draft picks just tore their ACLs, MCLs, PCLs, and are out for the season.

But are their spines still straight and not narrow? Their ligaments can just get the AP treament and they'll be up and running in a week!

Feeling much better about Ansah in light of Warford. Slay is going to create some good competition for the 2nd CB spot, which should improve our nickle spot during the season. And we might just end up with very serviceable CB backups. I don't know if that has ever happened.

Definitely going to do a depth chart write-up after the draft and maybe during training camp.

effzee

I was under the impression that the only reason Sanchez was still on the team was because they would owe him $8M + if they cut him. Same reason Rex Ryan hasn't been fired yet, they would owe him too much money.

Its why drafting Geno makes zero sense. Unless their plan is to sit him for the first year and play Sanchez. Either way why draft a QB this year then? When you have to keep Sanchez and pay him? This year's draft should have been used to draft some weapons for Sanchez and whoever is the QB and Head Coach starting next season. At the pick they used on Geno there were some good WRs available. All the top RBs were there. And they still need help on the right side of their line.

I also heard how Tebow has lost close to 20 pounds and changed his throwing mechanics so and since they haven't been offered a trade for him, they might take him all the way to training camp to see how he looks. LOL

I just listened to Cosell talk about the Geno pick and he said he really liked it. He thinks Geno will be good and he doesnt think Sanchez will turn it around. He did say he was worried that the Jets would make Geno the starter to soon though.

He's responding to a Gaffer right there too (Zackdekoromaru)

So the Jets are the new Bucs?

"Me and Dave hit Taco Bell after every game!"
NFL_Freeman-Josh.JPG
david_display_image.jpg

:snes you people

effzee

Yeah CB and safety are major needs. Did you hear Chip say yesterday that the Eagles dont have a single hole on the team? LOL at that. If Dion Jordan had fallen to the Eagles I would be totally in love with this draft and offseason, as it is they have done a lot to add players and improve the overall talent on the team. I just hope Chips offense works in the NFL, and that they can find a QB to run it.

No I didn't hear that but depends on how you define holes.

They added two starting CBs. They aren't great but they both started and are very young. You still have Boykin and I assume they add some more guys today. Same with safety. Chung is serviceable and certainly better than both Nate Allen and Coleman. Kenny Philps if healthy is a steal, a former first round pick, still young, and should be better than just solid.

I think our most glaring need, but not necessarily a hole, is at LB. I just think we need an explosive guy there who can rush the passer and drop into coverage.

So no not any holes, all guys they picked started and played well for very competitive teams, and I assume the goal here is to lay that foundation and with a new coaching regime maximize these young guys. Maybe it also revives some of the guys who were already on the roster and haven't lived up to expectations. I mean if Brandon Graham, who has started to come on strong, starts playing up to his first round talent we could actually be pretty well off.

squicken

I just listened to Cosell talk about the Geno pick and he said he really liked it. He thinks Geno will be good and he doesnt think Sanchez will turn it around. He did say he was worried that the Jets would make Geno the starter to soon though.

Well that's exactly the problem. Whoever plays will stink it up there. The offense is bad. But at this point they have to find a way of getting rid of Sanchez

As someone who still doesn't feel optimistic about the Lions draft, can I legitimately ask what it is about Slay that has you feeling satisfied at all? I just can't wrap my head around why they'd take a corner in the second round unless it means that they're already giving up on Bentley and the rest of the trio they drafted last year. I could understand if he was some 6'4" physical specimen that you can plug in against another team's number 1 receiver, but the guy's barely any taller than Dwight.

Maybe its just me trying to convince myself of the pick, but Slay has played against legitimately better competition in the SEC and had to hold his own because he was opposite Johnathan Banks. People are saying teams eventually started throwing at Banks because Slay was just better. I hate putting stock in 40 times, but Slay ran a 4.3 something 40, which is pretty dope. He has great length in his arms, which really helps him play the ball better. He has had 10 interceptions in 2 years time, 6 the last year. He doesn't look like a great tackler, but he isn't afraid to come up and play the run. And it creates competition between Him and Bentely, along with Green and Greenwood. I think it helps solidify a shaky secondary and create some depth when we both know how injury prone they are.

But maybe i'm just too optimistic. This is our time to be optimistic, though, damn it!

460x.jpg

Just look at that bow tie and pocket square. Bow ties are cool

BigAT

I really don't see how they can rid of Sanchez this year realistically. There's no way they trade him and if they cut him he counts as $12M in dead money this year and another $5M next year. That's just doesn't seem like something you can do with the realities of the salary cap, unless you're the Raiders.

There's really no good scenario for them, but it's all their own doing.

effzee

Yeah theoretically I like the pick but I just don't see how it makes sense now this year. Unless they are willing to pay Sanchez and just release him. Still need to add some skill position players to make sure Geno works.

Love hearing that the Cowboys were upset that the Eagles took Logan. He was one of their more coveted guys.

Colasante

The Jets will probably still be terrible this year, but a Geno Smith/David Garrard QB combo, to go along with a Chris Ivory/Mike Goodson running back combo, puts them on the path to being a much better managed roster than in the past few years. Idzik obviously isn't the bafoon Tannenbaum was.

No I didn't hear that but depends on how you define holes.

They added two starting CBs. They aren't great but they both started and are very young. You still have Boykin and I assume they add some more guys today. Same with safety. Chung is serviceable and certainly better than both Nate Allen and Coleman. Kenny Philps if healthy is a steal, a former first round pick, still young, and should be better than just solid.

I think our most glaring need, but not necessarily a hole, is at LB. I just think we need an explosive guy there who can rush the passer and drop into coverage.

So no not any holes, all guys they picked started and played well for very competitive teams, and I assume the goal here is to lay that foundation and with a new coaching regime maximize these young guys. Maybe it also revives some of the guys who were already on the roster and haven't lived up to expectations. I mean if Brandon Graham, who has started to come on strong, starts playing up to his first round talent we could actually be pretty well off.

Man it has been so long since the Eagles had a good D, I am not sure I can even imagine it. I am really worried about the D if they Eagles do go with this fast paced offense. If they have a lot of quick 3 and outs the D is going to wear down big time.

Well that's exactly the problem. Whoever plays will stink it up there. The offense is bad. But at this point they have to find a way of getting rid of Sanchez

The Jets really should just cut Sanchez. I know teams hate to pay guys to not be on their team but I would think that is going to be a poor atmosphere for a young guy to come in and learn in.

Edit: I just read what BigAT said about if they cut him he will count $5m the following year, no way can they do that. I guess they really are stuck with him.

Gigglepoo

Draft weekend is always the most frustrating time of the football year. I have such little knowledge of college football that I just look at the positions and schools of the players the Niners drafted. It seems like they got what they needed, but I have no idea. Need positions filled (S, DT, TE, pass rusher), and good schools (Auburn, LSU, FSU), so I think it was a successful two days?

I want the Eagles to get a WR with size, and guys that can compete at CB and S. What they will get is more depth at OL and DL.

Edit: I also want a QB, they need a young developmental guy.

jbug617

Banned
After sleeping on it. I'm good with the way the 2nd round for the Pats went with a coverage LB and outside WR. I don't understand the 3rd round because it sounds like we drafted 2 safeties.

The Jets really should just cut Sanchez. I know teams hate to pay guys to not be on their team but I would think that is going to be a poor atmosphere for a young guy to come in and learn in.

Edit: I just read what BigAT said about if they cut him he will count $5m the following year, no way can they do that. I guess they really are stuck with him.

The problem is, if you're stuck with him, then why draft Geno? It makes zero sense.

Godslay

Banned
I wouldn't mind nabbing John Simon in the coming rounds. Take a gamble on Lattimore? I love the unpredictable nature of these rounds and the potential to snag a late round gem.

Soroc

The problem is, if you're stuck with him, then why draft Geno? It makes zero sense.

Same reason as what Idzik did in Seattle last year having Matt Flynn (making way more money) riding the bench while 3rd round pick Russell Wilson was starting.

I'm not high on the Geno pick for the Jets but they can afford to let Sanchez ride the bench for a year and dumping him next year since they got good value QB in the second round instead of the first.

Next year the Jets have something like 50+ million in cap room, they will be pretty well lined up to make some major moves again next year as well as dumping some players with bloated contracts and taking small cap hits.

effzee

Man it has been so long since the Eagles had a good D, I am not sure I can even imagine it. I am really worried about the D if they Eagles do go with this fast paced offense. If they have a lot of quick 3 and outs the D is going to wear down big time.

Yeah I won't predict a complete turnaround. Probably bottom 10 defense, but as long as its not as horrific as it has been for the past 3 seasons, especially in the secondary, I think it will be an improvement. And if the offense is efficient the D should improve by default.

What I like is that at least the guys they are picking up are tougher bigger guys who actually tackle. So much went into making our D one of the worst in the league. Lack of size, no one wanted to tackle, scheme, clown show with the coaches, inefficient redzone offense not putting up points, turnovers and 3 and outs forcing the D to play too much.

Yeah so why draft Geno? Just load up this year on OLINE, WR, and TE. Set it up for a better QB prospect next season. But who knows Geno might turn out to be spectacular and after some of the stuff he went through leading up to the draft I'll be rooting for him somewhat.

Draft weekend is always the most frustrating time of the football year. I have such little knowledge of college football that I just look at the positions and schools of the players the Niners drafted. It seems like they got what they needed, but I have no idea. Need positions filled (S, DT, TE, pass rusher), and good schools (Auburn, LSU, FSU), so I think it was a successful two days?

Same here. I don't follow college sports at all so all these guys are complete unknowns to me until around Dec-Jan. But I have been reading up a lot on the potential targets and who fits where.

Won't pretend to know how it will all pan out but seen enough Reid drafts to know when he reached and when he took the BPA.

Well you are only stuck with Sanchez for 1 more season. Just have to grit through this year and then they can dump him and Rex, and start all over with a new coach and Geno. They just need to look at this year like a red shirt year for Geno. Dont rush him with no talent on O, and a coach who is a neanderthal in terms of offense. Also Marty M's offense is all about holding the ball and going deep, Geno will get killed running that.

Nori Chan

I'd like to pick up Matt Barkley with our 7th.

Seriously though, could use some more help at NT, CB, RB, S.

My friend brought up the fact that when we were in high school, Barkley was in our passing league and were on the same field as all of the teams in the conference were at one high school and played each other for a little bit.

The feels I would get if he was the starting QB for the Chargers in the next couple of years would make me feel like kave_man :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom