• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Seems Fisher liked McDonald and has followed him for awhile. Confident in his coverage skills

He said he played too heavy. I don't know. He looks so stiff. Makes Mays look like Earl Thomas

Absolutely. Bailey's hands will be an amazing upgrade from drop city. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and make the bold prediction that Pead will be an upgrade from SJAX too.

I mean I have no idea if they will actually run a no huddle spread offense full time, but they probably will quite a bit. Pead would be a good spread guy, but they still have no back that can pass protect. Unless Ganaway is the guy

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
An article I came across describing some behind the scenes in the Matt Millen war room during some drafts.

You might have heard me tell this story before, but it bears repeating. In the 2006 draft, the Lions were on the clock in the third round with the 74th overall pick and there was a huge debate raging in the war room. The argument was whether offensive guard Max Jean-Gilles was worth the 74th pick and it went back and forth until there were just seconds remaining on the clock. The Lions decided not to take him and they might have been right. While Jean-Gilles has started 26 games for the Eagles in his four-year career, he wasn't selected until the 99th overall choice.

But that's not the real point here. The Lions spent so much time talking about Jean-Gilles that, when they decided not to draft him, they didn't have another option ready to go. As they wondered what to do, a voice in the back of the room (the identity of which I haven't confirmed yet) said "Take Brian Calhoun.'' So they did.

In his two-year career in Detroit, Calhoun had 54 rushing yards and 55 receiving yards and never scored a touchdown.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/05/heres_how_drastically_the_detr.html

First time I've heard this story, but holy fuck was it bad under the Millen regime. The Lions had a great draft today and I'm especially happy with Larry Warford (Guard, Kentucky). Some scouts had him as "one of the most effective lineman in the SEC the past couple of seasons." He's going to be a plug-in starter day one.

Doorman

An article I came across describing some behind the scenes in the Matt Millen war room during some drafts.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/05/heres_how_drastically_the_detr.html

First time I've heard this story, but holy fuck was it bad under the Millen regime. The Lions had a great draft today and I'm especially happy with Larry Warford (Guard, Kentucky). Some scouts had him as "one of the most effective lineman in the SEC the past couple of seasons." He's going to be a plug-in starter day one.

I can't quite call it a "great draft today" when one of the two players we took is either going to not start or effectively wipe out three of last year's picks. I don't want to talk shit about Slay too much when I barely know anything about him, but based on his measurables and all, did we really feel like we needed a second Dwight Bentley? Were we not already grooming up Chris Greenwood and Jonte Green as our other young "project" corners? Not that our defensive backfield isn't terrible, but given the likes of Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey, Jenkins, and the whole corps in Green Bay, who exactly is Slay supposed to be covering? I would have vastly preferred either a bigger corner, more O-line help, or a linebacker at that spot.

If Slay doesn't start, then it's a failure of a draft decision to use that resource for him. If he does start, then it means that half of last-year's draft was a pointless failure and they have no talent for picking up corners anyway. Either way it bodes poorly for Mayhew and the office.

I havent been following the draft but why the blue fuck did the Fins trade Bess for picks? Can Dolphins Age explain the rationale for that???

Jeff_Ireland.jpg

is there a link?

Sorry I saw this too late. If you're interested in the future, the best place to catch any Cowboys presser is always on Sportsradio 1310 the ticket. www.theticket.com or on the I Heart Radio app. There are also segments posted online on iTunes, and you can listen to more, or even whole shows archived on the unofficial fan site, www.theunticket.com

It should also be a good source for post-draft meltdowns and furious angst on Monday.

From what I read Philbin doesn't like small slot guys, so they needed to move him. I still have no idea what the LT situation is. That's the crisis there imo

Yeah, it wasn't good if they were banking on getting Albert guaranteed. Hopefully it still happens but I really don't like it when we pick up others leftovers anyways

Godslay

Banned
Broncos-GAF, how'd we do?

Pretty good I'd say. I like them all, but I'm biased. I'm most excited about Williams personally. Interior pressure on the dline is a welcome addition. M. Ball looks solid probably best RB outside of Bell and Lacy. Elway said we took Ball over Lacy due to medical history of Lacy. Webster looks like a raw, fast, strong CB. Should be good under the wing of Champ and DRC.

DE is the only position left that most had us taking, don't know what we are going to do with our remaining picks. Maybe we can turn our 4th rounder into a replacement for Elvis. It's the round we picked him in!

Pretty good I'd say. I like them all, but I'm biased. I'm most excited about Williams personally. Interior pressure on the dline is a welcome addition. M. Ball looks solid probably best RB outside of Bell and Lacy. Elway said we took Ball over Lacy due to medical history of Lacy. Webster looks like a raw, fast, strong CB. Should be good under the wing of Champ and DRC.

DE is the only position left that most had us taking, don't know what we are going to do with our remaining picks. Maybe we can turn our 4th rounder into a replacement for Elvis. It's the round we picked him in!

I'm hoping we get someone as good if not better to line up alongside Miller now that Doom is gone. Also, didn't we already have an RB named Ball? Seems rather redundant, but is he better than what we have with McGahee, Moreno, Hillman and the other Ball?

That's true. Pretty funny that he called out Chrom on twitter.

lol Oh crap, who is this?

Godslay

Banned
I'm hoping we get someone as good if not better to line up alongside Miller now that Doom is gone. Also, didn't we already have an RB named Ball? Seems rather redundant, but is he better than what we have with McGahee, Moreno, Hillman and the other Ball?

lol Oh crap, who is this?

Yeah, was joking earlier that we've got Balls now. Seen a variety of jokes about it, "Peyton's got balls to play with", "We're gonna run the blue ball offense" etc.

With the addition of Knighton and Williams, I wonder if those two are inside, and we get some combination of Wolfe, Miller, and Freeney on the edges.

Yeah, was joking earlier that we've got Balls now. Seen a variety of jokes about it, "Peyton's got balls to play with", "We're gonna run the blue ball offense" etc.

With the addition of Knighton and Williams, I wonder if those two are inside, and we get some combination of Wolfe, Miller, and Freeney on the edges.

Wait, Denver signed Freeney? Did I miss something? Wow, Denver really is turning into Peyton and friends reunion party in the sky.

bionic77

You guys weren't kidding about that Fraudgers stuff.

Dude doesn't even get paid as much as Flacco! The only question left is what is smaller, his deal or his penis? Judging by the photos of past Packers qb it is probably the latter......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom