• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colasante

It makes sense for the Jets to be unwilling to simply punt this year away. They held their own in a lot of games last year with an even less impressive team. Get Geno in the building, let him learn the offense for a year, and see what plays out at quarterback, but it would have made no sense to let Sanchez play quarterback without competition for another year. Better QBs this year, better RBs, a potentially better defense and offensive line- they'll certainly struggle, but I think they may have gotten themselves out of consideration for the #1 pick next year.

cajunator

Banned
Congrats Chris Ivory on signing with the Jets. I wish you luck there.
Really liked that guys running style. although it might set up for some flags under the new rules.

Now that the Jets have the Qb of the Future, I wonder if Rexs changes of staying are better now?

Have Fox and other Jets fans weighed in on Geno yet?

It makes sense for the Jets to be unwilling to simply punt this year away. They held their own in a lot of games last year with an even less impressive team. Get Geno in the building, let him learn the offense for a year, and see what plays out at quarterback, but it would have made no sense to let Sanchez play quarterback without competition for another year. Better QBs this year, better RBs, a potentially better defense and offensive line- they'll certainly struggle, but I think they may have gotten themselves out of consideration for the #1 pick next year.

You honestly believe the Jets will be improved this year? I guess Ivory is a slight upgrade over Greene, but Garrard has had 2 major injuries since he last played 3 years ago. They were forced to cut several players due to cap issues, they brought in an OC that did such a poor job with the Eagles that Reid didnt even want to bring him to KC. Rex is a total lame duck this year also. I think the Jets will be right in the mix for the 1st pick next year.

Doorman

But maybe i'm just too optimistic. This is our time to be optimistic, though, damn it!
Just look at that bow tie and pocket square. Bow ties are cool
Oh boy...if this our time to be optimistic, then you guys are gonna haaaaate me by the time our time to be pessimistic rolls around... :p

Thanks for the extra info on Slay by the way. He could be a decent player, I'm just of the opinion that unless you happen to have one of those truly special massive athletic corners a la the guy in Seattle whose name escapes me, building on corners just isn't as important as setting up a solid pass-rush and ESPECIALLY a strong, coverage-capable linebacker corps. I've been starving for a linebacker worth getting excited over for a couple of years now, and we still don't have it.

What are you guys looking for today?
Me
De/Olb
ILB
S
Matt scott or no Qb at all
Wr
G

In no particular order (Lions, by the way):
OT
Center (more a future-proofing thing than a need for this year, though)
DT
OLB
Another OLB
DE
Kicker (Yeah I'm kind of serious)

nvU2iC4.jpg

effzee

Well you are only stuck with Sanchez for 1 more season. Just have to grit through this year and then they can dump him and Rex, and start all over with a new coach and Geno. They just need to look at this year like a red shirt year for Geno. Dont rush him with no talent on O, and a coach who is a neanderthal in terms of offense. Also Marty M's offense is all about holding the ball and going deep, Geno will get killed running that.

Problem is whatever new coach that might come in probably wants to draft his own QB and not have to inherit Geno or whoever else they have on their roster.

That's why if you don't have a new head coach this season why draft a QB? Wait until the new HC can give you his input.

You honestly believe the Jets will be improved this year? I guess Ivory is a slight upgrade over Greene, but Garrard has had 2 major injuries since he last played 3 years ago. They were forced to cut several players due to cap issues, they brought in an OC that did such a poor job with the Eagles that Reid didnt even want to bring him to KC. Rex is a total lame duck this year also. I think the Jets will be right in the mix for the 1st pick next year.

Their D will be improved and keep them in the game. If Sanchez can play even a little better or Geno can be better I can see them winning 6 games. Not #1 pick overall bad.

Colasante

I think Smith and Garrard are a big upgrade on Sanchez and Tebow, and Chris Ivory and Mike Goodson a big upgrade on Shonn Greene and Bilal Powell. They'll be getting Santonio Holmes back, and Dee Milliner helps upgrade the secondary that pretty much only had Cromartie last year. Rex Ryan could whip something up with any 11 guys put out there on defense, but now he has Sheldon Richardson too to come out in more different fronts to confuse QBs. I've learned the past couple years not to write off Rex Ryan's Jets as dead until they're officially dead. They took the Patriots to overtime last year with the weakest roster in football.

MechDX

The talk on this Sam Montgomery DE from LSU is that he was a first round prospect who made some comments at the combine that dropped him to a potential 3-4 round:

At the combine, Montgomery said he didn’t play all-out because weak opponents allowed for some respite.

“You know, some weeks when we didn't have to play the harder teams, there were some times when effort was not needed,” Montgomery said in Indianapolis. “But when we had the big boys coming in, the Bamas or the South Carolinas, I grabbed close to those guys and went all-out.

“Of course, this is a new league, the NFL, and there are no small teams, small divisions. It is all Alabamas and LSUs every week. It's definitely something I have to get adjusted to, but I'm sure with the right coaching I will be fine.”

It is not like the Texans to take anyone who has a smell of controversy. Then Lance Z posted this last night:

@LanceZierlein Source told me "there is no way that the Texans have all the info on Sam Montgomery.... even WE took him off the board." Yikes.

Anyone here follow LSU football and can comment? Maycock said when the Texans drafted him this could be the steal of the draft if he pans out.

cajunator

Banned
I think Smith and Garrard are a big upgrade on Sanchez and Tebow, and Chris Ivory and Mike Goodson a big upgrade on Shonn Greene and Bilal Powell. They'll be getting Santonio Holmes back, and Dee Milliner helps upgrade the secondary that pretty much only had Cromartie last year. Rex Ryan could whip something up with any 11 guys put out there on defense, but now he has Sheldon Richardson too to come out in more different fronts to confuse QBs. I've learned the past couple years not to write off Rex Ryan's Jets as dead until they're officially dead. They took the Patriots to overtime last year with the weakest roster in football.

Ivory is a baller, he just gets injured easily. He likes to use his head as a battering ram.

cajunator

Banned
The talk on this Sam Montgomery DE from LSU is that he was a first round prospect who made some comments at the combine that dropped him to a potential 3-4 round:

It is not like the Texans to take anyone who has a smell of controversy. Then Lance Z posted this last night:

Anyone here follow LSU football and can comment? Maycock said when the Texans drafted him this could be the steal of the draft if he pans out.

LSU has a tendency to play down to competition. If a team sucks they adjust downward and play like shit to compensate.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Cardinals are shopping QB Brian Hoyer, and he mentions the Browns as a possible trade partner.
Hoyer, 27, signed his one-year, $2.023 million restricted free agent tender before the Cardinals landed Drew Stanton and Carson Palmer. That salary is far too high for a No. 3 quarterback. The Browns were sniffing around Ryan Mallett, but Hoyer would be a cheaper option. He could likely be had for a late-round pick.
Related: Browns
Apr 27 - 11:38 AM
Another Qb in the mix?

Didn't the conditioning staff put up a lst of players who they felt were lazy and didn't put in the work and Montgomery's name was on it?

Actually I found it:

Situation shares some similarities to Demontre Moore except the knock on him was that didn't put in 100% during the week of preparation. Even the Giants noted as much by saying he has to learn to be a professional but he was a 100% guy on game day. Moore's motor and no quit attitude on every damned play is why I was ecstatic he fell to the Giants. Comments by Reese and Ross post draft are in line with that....production was too good. He'll Reese started his presses for Moore simply saying "sacks".

MechDX

Didn't the conditioning staff put up a lst of players who they felt were lazy and didn't put in the work and Montgomery's name was on it?

Actually I found it:

Situation shares some similarities to Demontre Moore except the knock on him was that didn't put in 100% during the week of preparation. Even the Giants noted as much by saying he has to learn to be a professional but he was a 100% guy on game day. Moore's motor and no quit attitude on every damned play is why I was ecstatic he fell to the Giants.

LSU coach commented on that pic back in December:

@ChaddScott The pic from office window is old news. These guys had all missed a class. Great kids and hard workers. #tigertough #LSU
8:22 AM - 29 Dec 2012

Im thinking/hoping Cushing/Watt/Reed will keep his ass in check. From what I have gathered he is a tremendous talent but like Arian Foster opens his mouth and gives out too much info.

Colasante

hi-res-6676036_crop_650x440.jpg

This man is gonna rock our world.

They need to man up and put him out there and make him become the #1 receiver. If that means they need to simplify the offense a little bit for him and keep him as a go route runner for a while, they need to do it. I don't want Dobson to become another Taylor Price where he only sees five snaps a game and it's impossible for him to break out even if he had the talent.

LSU coach commented on that pic back in December:

There was some stuff happening at LSU that I don't think has really come to light yet. Obviously there's the picture about the players not working hard, which I don't think was nothing even if they tried to do damage control on it. When a number of underclassmen started declaring, I was reading things where people insinuate there was something going on that made them all think it was in their best interest to leave early. Who knows what it is, maybe nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom