• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godslay

Banned
lol derp i confused myself into thinking we traded up for a 3rd and gave a 4th

Even so, that link isn't gospel. It's numbers based guess work. It's not perfect, and you can say this trade offers more value based on our calculations, but until the production is determined on the field, it's speculation based on an assumed value of talent.

Even if it is a good system, there is no way that it could be applied to each individual team. There are too many moving parts, and teams will evaluate value based on their particular situation. I'm sure both the Browns and Steelers think they are getting what they want out of the trade or they wouldn't do it.

Winners and losers aren't determined at the time of the trade, but after the production pans out. It's easy to say, "Holy shit, Redskins traded the farm to get RG3, and they lost that trade." but if RG3 produces and the picks they traded off are irrelevant, then the Redskins come out ahead. Meaning hindsight is 20/20, and trying to project in the future isn't always accurate.

BROWNS WIN!!!
1.gif
Yup!

Gobias

Banned
Congrats to all the Wisconsin fans here on winning the Big 10 west every year in the next 10 years.

I could see Northwestern or Nebraska sneaking a few in. But, yeah, its going to often be Ohio State and Wisconsin in the BIG championship game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Congrats to all the Wisconsin fans here on winning the Big 10 west every year in the next 10 years.

:jnc

Seriously, were those divisions made specifically by the Wisconsin AD? Because those may be the most uneven divisions I've seen in quite some time.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Why's Wes banned?

I'm taking a break from GAF for a while guys. Be good in my absence. Don't be JTs to one another, you hear? Good luck to all your teams in all their endeavours in the run in to the end of the season. Ciao.

He can say goodbye to those people but he left Browns-gaf hanging. Time to appoint a new leader. I vote for the true Clevelander, jakncoke.

Gobias

Banned
:jnc

Seriously, were those divisions made specifically by the Wisconsin AD? Because those may be the most uneven divisions I've seen in quite some time.

Well, there are a lot of shit teams in the Big 10, but it is weird having Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State in one division.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, he whiffed on the Denver picks as well. Wolfe is a solid starter. Then again we are only a year out, ,and Wilson could very well bust (I doubt he will). Wolfe could have had the best season he'll ever have and slink off into obscurity. Only time will tell.

I will say that it seems that football is so much harder to nail down talent. So really these guys are just making educated guesses, so it will be hit or miss.
Unfortunately inadequate performance isn't the only reason players don't stay on a team. Sometimes major injuries occur where there was no considerable prior risk, and sometimes a player just packs up and leaves for another team when given the opportunity. Like, take Steve Hutchinson who Seattle used a first round pick on. Given his performance he was an amazing pick, but then we lost him to the Vikings because they rained money on him and then his term there ended in injury.

I don't think either team regrets picking him up.

Minus that contract bullshit.

I'll be holding a press conference about the state of Browns Gaf later as the new overlord.
Rumor has it that my first rule of law will be Death to the Kitty.

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn
Source says Tony Romo will be have influence in game plans, personnel and play-calling. He will game plan with coaches Mondays and Tuesdays
Fucking Jason Garrett doesn't even have enough influence to get Shariff Floyd taken over the center they took in the first round and he's the head coach. What is Romo going to do? :jnc

Godslay

Banned
Unfortunately inadequate performance isn't the only reason players don't stay on a team. Sometimes major injuries occur where there was no considerable prior risk, and sometimes a player just packs up and leaves for another team when given the opportunity. Like, take Steve Hutchinson who Seattle used a first round pick on. Given his performance he was an amazing pick, but then we lost him to the Vikings because they rained money on him and then his term there ended in injury.

I don't think either team regrets picking him up.

Minus that contract bullshit.

No doubt. If the player leaves for another team and still produces, I wouldn't say that it was a bad pick, even if they left the team. Contracts/money are things that GMs should be judged on, not how good/bad a given pick was. Injuries are their own beast of course. I think injuries should only count against a judgment if the player had warnings on them, and went down for that specific injury.

Even with all that said, I think even looking back on a pick we all encounter some bias, so it's not perfect. We see it when we argue over who is HOF worthy. You would think that production would be the end all be all, but it's not. Still fun to argue over.

I will never bend a knee to the disrespectful gator.

For the Brownies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr_OpFxCx-A

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
No doubt. If the player leaves for another team and still produces, I wouldn't say that it was a bad pick, even if they left the team. Contracts/money are things that GMs should be judged on, not how good/bad a given pick was. Injuries are their own beast of course. I think injuries should only count against a judgment if the player had warnings on them, and went down for that specific injury.

Even with all that said, I think even looking back on a pick we all encounter some bias, so it's not perfect. We see it when we argue over who is HOF worthy. You would think that production would be the end all be all, but it's not. Still fun to argue over.

Steeler fans on this board have argued that Mike Wallace was a bust pick because he left for $1B/yr or whatever. Truly ridiculous.

Godslay

Banned
Steeler fans on this board have argued that Mike Wallace was a bust pick because he left for $1B/yr or whatever. Truly ridiculous.

If a guy leaves for more money, that's usually a good indication he wasn't a bust. There's likely more to it, location, chase for rings, etc, but if they leave for more money and were productive (relative to what is paid to that player and expectations), it's hard to argue they are a bust imo.

jakncoke

Banned

Which fans argued that he was a bust? I never seen that. He was very limited though and def not worth anything close to what Miami got, hell if we gave him Antonio Brown money it'd prob be over his value.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Which fans argued that he was a bust? I never seen that. He was very limited though and def not worth anything close to what Miami got, hell if we gave him Antonio Brown money it'd prob be over his value.

Pretty sure it was spectral, but it might've been harson.

I think a player's value varies somewhat on a team by team basis too. Wallace may not have been worth huge money to Pitt but he's worth a lot more to a team with little to no WR talent like Miami. I do think they probably overpaid him regardless, though. I guess what I'm saying is, if I were a Pitt fan I would never want to see Wallace get that kind of a payday, but as a Miami fan I can at least understand the reasoning behind it.

jakncoke

Banned
I think a player's value varies somewhat on a team by team basis too. Wallace may not have been worth huge money to Pitt but he's worth a lot more to a team with little to no WR talent like Miami. I do think they probably overpaid him regardless, though. I guess what I'm saying is, if I were a Pitt fan I would never want to see Wallace get that kind of a payday, but as a Miami fan I can at least understand the reasoning behind it.

If you're ok with what he going to give you and can afford it, then all power to you for enjoying the signing.

If you're ok with what he going to give you and can afford it, then all power to you for enjoying the signing.
I'm sure my opinion will change on it over the next few seasons or so. It's all about how well he performs. Right now I'm happy they brought him in but a little skeptical of the price.

Pretty sure it was spectral, but it might've been harson.

Our very own :kas

Wallace isn't a bust but he's not worth $13M/year either (or whatever Miami paid for him). I'm pretty sure there are other guys who can run fast in a straight line and catch a football. Of course he is very fast; just not very good at catching the football.

Wasn't it you that I was arguing with a few weeks ago when I said that Miami's receiving corps were just warm bodies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom