• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People have no idea how good Cherilus actually was at RT last year. I can't believe they let him go.

LJ11

It took a guy as sharp as Holgo awhile to properly use Austin. Putting him in the backfield vs OU was sublime, but not something that can be done in the NFL for any extended period of time. I have no doubt that Austin can make it in the NFL, but Schotty will have to step out of his comfort zone and find ways to get him the ball

Speed outs, that's Schotty's idea of creativity.

That linebacking crew SUCKS. How they didn't address that is beyond me. Also, that OL needs help. Menelik Watson in round 2 was a total no-brainer and they passed on him. I agree with Doorman--I don't see how this team is any better with two DEs who may turn out to be total busts and an offensive line made up of young guys, castoffs, and the worst veteran center in the league.

You're so negative. The LB crew isn't bad and you know it. Levy and Tulloch are solid players. Palmer played well when Durant was hurt and Whitehead will push him for the starting spot. The DE spot is a concern, still, but considering the absolute zero production we had there last year, I'll take my chances with Jason Jones and Ziggy. Not like they can be worse in run support.

And you're trying to tell me replacing Peterman with a solid looking rookie and replacing Backus with a guy we both know looked great in the the times he played Tackle while Backus was hurt, and the power sets we ran, is a bad thing? RT is still in question, but Hilliard proved to be reliable every time he stepped in for Gosder's pissy tantrums. With the RB situation in a better place than it was last year and the addition of 2 good run blockers to the line (Warford and Reiff), I think we are in an ok position moving forward.

Before you say it, I know we can't put too much faith in rookies. But when you're replacing 2 awful DEs and the worst guard in football, you have to be optimistic to a point. Remember the solid additions we made in FA Plinko, and hope Schwartz makes another incredibly dumb move this season and gets the whole staff fired.

squicken

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 37m
So 2012 trade of Brandon Marshall essentially wound up netting #Dolphins TE Michael Egnew, WR B.J. Cunningham, and blocking TE Dion Sims.

Speed outs, that's Schotty's idea of creativity.

Gotta think he will go look at the college game and try to integrate these guys faster. I mean if they don't, that's on Fisher too

cajunator

Banned
After playing with a Galaxy S4 I have decided that I need one.
Fucking amazing phone. Ive had my S2 for a few years now. Time to upgrade!

Da fuck? You following Browns beat writers now? You tryna take this beef to whole new levels brah!
Edit: but really I'd almost add anyone to the Qb comp, I thought eagles gaf liked Foles last season?

No I think most Eagles fans are down on Foles but they are also really down on Vick. It seemed everyone wanted them to draft a QB. I just wish it had been EJ and not Barkley.

Colasante

PITT didn't have Lacy on their board b/c he had something called a "fusion" done to his big toe. May also have kept him off STL, b/c they were really high on him at one point as well

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/...20958-ed-lacys-toe-injury-scared-off-steelers

edit: how can a RB have the bones in his big toe fused together? That would have to take away some of his explosiveness

Has any news come out about why Jonathan Franklin and Jordan Poyer fell so far?

squicken

Has any news come out about why Jonathan Franklin and Jordan Poyer fell so far?

Haven't seen anything on them. The guy I'm curious on is Matt Scott. He visited so many teams. There must have been something that kept him from getting drafted.

Here is an article talking about why Poyer fell so far in the draft.

Reading between the lines, it seems the author doesn't think the guy is coming clean on what he did, else why write an apology letter?

mr2xxx

Banned
It's an odd draft for the Skins this year. Practically every pick has been high risk/ high reward guys. I'm not only speaking talent wise but also most of them have injury histories and Rambo has off field issues. We addressed our biggest weakness, the secondary with two safety's and a corner.

Amerson had a incredible sophomore year, physical beast, but got exposed his jr. year by 1st rd. talents Patterson and Hopkins. He has huge upside but needs to be coached up.It will be Thomas vs Rambo at FS, which would be an interesting camp battle. Then we Reed who is a poor mans Hernandez and it will be fun seeing how Shanny uses him. Rest of the guys are backups with injury I stories minus JJ .

Reading between the lines, it seems the author doesn't think the guy is coming clean on what he did, else why write an apology letter?

Yeah it definitely sounds like it was more then he was asked to leave a bar. Hopefully he gets his shit together now. He looks like he can be a player. I am glad to see Chip is willing to take a chance on a guy with potential character issues.

Man Barkley seems really excited to be an Eagle.

Matthew Barkley ‏@MattBarkley2h
So it looks like I’ve gotta get used to saying #FlyEaglesFly #BirdGang #EagleNation and #BleedGreen .. I love it!!

Milchjon

Whoa, I thought that Kluwe quote was made up. He really said speaking out for gays is what may cost him his job?

That's pretty damn low.

squicken

It's an odd draft for the Skins this year. Practically every pick has been high risk/ high reward guys. I'm not only speaking talent wise but also most of them have injury histories and Rambo has off field issues. We addressed our biggest weakness, the secondary with two safety's and a corner. .

I think this was just a bad draft. For all that people talked about depth, I just don't see it. I think it's telling that CLE twice bailed out to 2014, and that only three 2014 picks total were traded during the draft. SF twice drafted guys that mights sit out half the year, or more. The Giants took a QB, even though they have a decent backup, in the 4th

It really makes PITT giving up that 3rd next year look bad. That could be 80 overall in a really good draft, for 111 in a bad draft

I think this was just a bad draft. For all that people talked about depth, I just don't see it. I think it's telling that CLE twice bailed out to 2014, and that only three 2014 picks total were traded during the draft. SF twice drafted guys that mights sit out half the year, or more. The Giants took a QB, even though they have a decent backup, in the 4th

It really makes PITT giving up that 3rd next year look bad. That could be 80 overall in a really good draft, for 111 in a bad draft

I really think the Steelers had a poor draft, which is surprising for them since they normaly do a great job in the draft.

What do people think about KC's draft? I know that Reid has been complaining for years about not having total control in Philly and now he does have it.

Colasante

I really think the Steelers had a poor draft, which is surprising for them since they normaly do a great job in the draft.

What do people think about KC's draft? I know that Reid has been complaining for years about not having total control in Philly and now he does have it.

I don't know what the experts are saying about the Chiefs' draft, but it was one of the least impressive outings of any team to me. Eric Fisher is solid, but it didn't seem to me like they had a cohesive plan for the rest of their picks. Travis Kelce, Knile Davis, Nico Johnson, and Sanders Commings were all chosen at points when I thought there were better players available at each position. But that's just my opinion.

squicken

--It was clear he was ahead of the curve on realizing how bad this draft was for QBs. We may think he gave up too much for Alex, but with all the mediocre QBs playing musical chairs this offseason, he got the best one. He's not going to hold the rest of the players back, which I think will happen in JAX, where the talent at the other offensive positions is good

--His Boys' Town Home for Wayward Youth thing should have an entry in some psychology journal. How much of that is b/c of his sons? Kelce got suspended a whole year for something that no one will talk about, but you gotta figure it wasn't pot. We've all read how bad Bray is. Nile Davis was a flake at Arkansas

--Solid draft if those guys pan out, but I think something went wrong with the Albert trade. I'm sure he wanted to get a 2nd before the draft, but waiting and maybe getting a 2014 2nd would be even better. DET and MIA really can't be serious about going into the season with their current OLs

mr2xxx

Banned

That's true, guessed we lucked out by having this draft be one that we didn't have a first.

Whoa, I thought that Kluwe quote was made up. He really said speaking out for gays is what may cost him his job?

That's pretty damn low.

Yeah, that Ravens guy pulled the same card when he got cut, but he quickly back paddled. Blaming that is easier than admitting that you're just not good enough.

Lost some respect for Kluwe, but maybe it's just a stupid response from a guy who basically just lost his job.

I don't know what the experts are saying about the Chiefs' draft, but it was one of the least impressive outings of any team to me. Eric Fisher is solid, but it didn't seem to me like they had a cohesive plan for the rest of their picks. Travis Kelce, Knile Davis, Nico Johnson, and Sanders Commings were all chosen at points when I thought there were better players available at each position. But that's just my opinion.

Looking back now after a nights sleep, how do you like the Pats draft?

JABEE

Yeah it definitely sounds like it was more then he was asked to leave a bar. Hopefully he gets his shit together now. He looks like he can be a player. I am glad to see Chip is willing to take a chance on a guy with potential character issues.

Man Barkley seems really excited to be an Eagle.

Matthew Barkley ‏@MattBarkley2h
So it looks like I’ve gotta get used to saying #FlyEaglesFly #BirdGang #EagleNation and #BleedGreen .. I love it!!
Barkley will be the Eagles starting QB by Week 6. I don't know how good he will be though.

Doorman

You're so negative. The LB crew isn't bad and you know it. Levy and Tulloch are solid players. Palmer played well when Durant was hurt and Whitehead will push him for the starting spot. The DE spot is a concern, still, but considering the absolute zero production we had there last year, I'll take my chances with Jason Jones and Ziggy. Not like they can be worse in run support.

And you're trying to tell me replacing Peterman with a solid looking rookie and replacing Backus with a guy we both know looked great in the the times he played Tackle while Backus was hurt, and the power sets we ran, is a bad thing? RT is still in question, but Hilliard proved to be reliable every time he stepped in for Gosder's pissy tantrums. With the RB situation in a better place than it was last year and the addition of 2 good run blockers to the line (Warford and Reiff), I think we are in an ok position moving forward.

Before you say it, I know we can't put too much faith in rookies. But when you're replacing 2 awful DEs and the worst guard in football, you have to be optimistic to a point. Remember the solid additions we made in FA Plinko, and hope Schwartz makes another incredibly dumb move this season and gets the whole staff fired.

The O-line should, with any luck, be slightly improved over last year's group, but I think it's fair to say there's still a little cause for concern. As far as I can remember the team has never actually come out and said that they expect Reiff to come in as a left tackle. They certainly weren't committed to that during the off-season. I can't shake the feeling like they planned to have him at RT this year and get a new LT in the draft, but then Backus retired and the top three line prospects all went before they had a chance to pick, so they're shoehorned into using Reiff or Fox there. Warford can't be worse than Peterman so at least there's that, but we're hanging another year onto Raiola as well. Overall a slight upgrade if it all works out, but there's the potential for this to crumble if the Reiff-Hilliard-Fox combo can't pull themselves together properly.

You say the linebackers are "solid" but I wouldn't quite give them that. They're "alright," they can usually make a tackle more often than not when they're lined up on their guy, but none of them strike me as real playmakers and I'd consider them the weakest link on the defensive side if we're to believe that Suh and Fairley are as good as we hope. I've been waiting for us to draft a high-talent MLB for several years now and it always seems to wind up ignored, most of the linebackers we have drafted or picked up as free agents are brought in more for pass-rush than pass-coverage, and it makes for easy yardage down the middle of the field much of the time.

I still dislike the Ziggy Ansah pick, not because I dislike Ziggy, I actually think that he could become a really great D-end...just, not here. Not with the history of how this staff coaches the line. He's a "high-motor" guy with relatively little knowledge of the game, being coached by a staff that seems to have developed a tendency to create overzealous pressure. With a raw power like Ansah, in those hands I could see him totally over-running plays or gifting yardage to the other team via late hits as often as he applies actual pressure.

We needed to get players in this draft not just to replace holes, but to be better than what we lost. What we got in the first three rounds is a question mark, a depth corner, and a big slow road-grater (I don't mean that in a bad way). We're going to have to rely a lot on guys improving that haven't really shown that they're capable of doing so.

Colasante

Looking back now after a nights sleep, how do you like the Pats draft?

I like it, don't love it. None of the players seem like they'll make a day one impact like Jones and Hightower did last year, but they add solid depth. Beauharnais, Ryan, and Harmon will act as nice buffers to ensure that Koutivedes, Marqice Cole, and Nate Ebner will hopefully never have to play a snap on defense, which is a nice thing.

I love the Dobson and Boyce picks, assuming they can actually get onto the field and learn the playbook of course, which is no small thing.

Collins might be the most exciting player they drafted, but he's in no man's land right now stuck between being a cover linebacker and a defensive end. If they pick one position for him and let him either bulk up or slim down to fit it, I think he could be great. I think they should let him act as a cover linebacker and try to mold Buchanan into Jones' bookend.

effzee

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot #Browns CEO Banner helped draft Foles. Don't know yet if he'd be interested

Yes please.

I really doubt it. I honestly think Chip wants to see what he has in both Vick and Foles. Maybe all three make the team and Dixon and Kinne are the ones cut.

Even if Barkley doesn't pan out to be our franchise QB he could be a serviceable back up or even good trade bait for a 2nd round pick in the future.

Overall its obviously way to early to judge this draft and say give it a grade. Same way how overall with all the moves in FA and coaching staff we have to see how it works first. For the first time in 14 years that statement actually applies because under Banner and Reid we knew and predicted exactly how things will go. Chip could be making huge mistakes and flail out of the league in 2 years. We don't know yet but at this point all the benefit of doubt goes to him. Hell his professorial press conferences and desire to talk football all day alone give me hope.

My personal opinion is that any draft that can net you two pro-bowl caliber players is a successful. I think we have that in Lane Johnson and Zach Ertz. And if you can then turn the rest of the picks into starters or possibly more pro bowl caliber players than you have had a great draft. We knew they couldn't turn the roster over in just one draft or FA. Bennie Logan, Wolf, Kruger, King, and Poyer will have to be good depth role players and special teams players. If one or two of these guys become a starter then overall 2-3 years down the road I would give this draft a A.

As of now I would give it a B-. While I like the Barkley move, that pick could have been used for a S, CB, or LB who might contribute immediately.

Barkley will be the Eagles starting QB by Week 6. I don't know how good he will be though.

Only way Barkley plays this season is if both the QBs in front of him on the depth chart get injured. I think he is a lock for the #3 QB to start the season. Kinne is out once cuts are made. The real questions are at who is #1 and #2. Personally I think Vick is just more gifted and talented than both Dixon and Foles overall as a QB, so he wins the job. I think unless a team trades for Foles he remains too.

So I picture Dixon getting cut, Vick starting the season, and Foles and Barkley his back ups.

But who knows. Some people now theorize that since Vick is only guaranteed 3.5m he could be cut before week 1 and they might just go with Foles and Barkley as 1 and 2.

--It was clear he was ahead of the curve on realizing how bad this draft was for QBs. We may think he gave up too much for Alex, but with all the mediocre QBs playing musical chairs this offseason, he got the best one. He's not going to hold the rest of the players back, which I think will happen in JAX, where the talent at the other offensive positions is good

--His Boys' Town Home for Wayward Youth thing should have an entry in some psychology journal. How much of that is b/c of his sons? Kelce got suspended a whole year for something that no one will talk about, but you gotta figure it wasn't pot. We've all read how bad Bray is. Nile Davis was a flake at Arkansas

--Solid draft if those guys pan out, but I think something went wrong with the Albert trade. I'm sure he wanted to get a 2nd before the draft, but waiting and maybe getting a 2014 2nd would be even better. DET and MIA really can't be serious about going into the season with their current OLs

Thanks for the replies. It is funny to see how much Reid loves small school guys. He took 3 more this draft and they didnt have a 2nd. I think Fisher is going to be great but I am not sure about the rest. I hated the small hands trade but it does seem like he is way better then anyone they could have gotten in the draft.

I actually agree with you. I heard Chip say his ideal QB can get the ball out in less then 1.6 seconds, and Barkley definitely has the quickest release on the team. I really worry though that his arm just isnt going to be strong enough. The Pats dont make Brady go deep much because they dont really have the WRs to stretch the field, but DJax and even Maclin are really good deep threats.

effzee

Da fuck? You following Browns beat writers now? You tryna take this beef to whole new levels brah!
Edit: but really I'd almost add anyone to the Qb comp, I thought eagles gaf liked Foles last season?

Nobody really likes Foles. Some in the fan base force themselves to make a case for him due to the pure hatred for Vick which has comeback full force since his play has come back down to earth from that amazing run 2010.

Same way how on the official Eagles board majority of the people are convinced Foles or Barkley or basically anyone will be better than Vick and are calling them the saviors of the franchise. Same phenomena with Kolb back when McNabb was still on the team. Kolb was god. He had to get the reigns. He would lead us to the promise land! Anyone but McNabb!

squicken

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Talked to a college coach: Thought Geno Smith was the most talented draft QB. "If he had EJ Manuel's makeup, he'd have been first overall."

Really not sure Geno is a good fit for NY. Best thing they could do for him is cut Tebow. As long as Tebow is there, he's an epic scramble from creating a QB controversy. Let Sanchez start, fail, and Geno come along, when he's ready, as the savior.

LJ11

Taking a QB is smart as fuck though. If he flashes at all you can flip him for a pick easily.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Talked to a college coach: Thought Geno Smith was the most talented draft QB. "If he had EJ Manuel's makeup, he'd have been first overall."

Really not sure Geno is a good fit for NY. Best thing they could do for him is cut Tebow. As long as Tebow is there, he's an epic scramble from creating a QB controversy. Let Sanchez start, fail, and Geno come along, when he's ready, as the savior.
Idk I think they cut Both Tebow and Sanchez at somepoint soon, Garrard will start the season and maybe Geno will eventually take over this season. I'd ideally like to See David start the whole season, and Geno sit and learn.

I thought that it was already out there that the Jets would cut Tebow they just want to wait until it is closer to camp so it is harder for him to latch on somewhere else.

bionic77

They are getting a 3rd for Wallace.

Godslay

Banned
Idk I think they cut Both Tebow and Sanchez at somepoint soon, Garrard will start the season and maybe Geno will eventually take over this season. I'd ideally like to See David start the whole season, and Geno sit and learn.

:jnc you beat me

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

I wonder how much truth there is behind cutting Sanchez and Tebow? I think the logical thing to do would be to cut those two, eat the expense, start Garrard, and if he is either injured or plays like shit, slot Geno in. Letting those two would feel like a fresh start and a step in the right direction.

It also allows Jax to sign Tebow, heralding the dawn of the best team in Florida.

Colasante

If Idzik is in control and genuinely wants this to be an impactful season, he'd cut both Sanchez and Tebow before training camp and let Smith, Garrard, and McElroy compete for the starting job. It'd be worth the dead money if only as a symbolic gesture, like burying the football after a blowout loss. Nothing good can come of Sanchez or Tebow remaining on the team. If Woody Johnson is still calling the shots, all bets are off.

So why not have 2 3rds in what is supposed to be a really strong draft next year?

I think it shows the Browns and Steelers are looking at the season in different ways, philosophically. Browns know they have no real chance to compete next year, so they just assembled a good nucleus in free agency and will wait until the 2014 draft to really go for it. The Steelers see themselves as Super Bowl contenders, as they do every year, and were willing to part with a 2014 pick to help shore up the deficiencies they have in a crucial year.

squicken

Taking a QB is smart as fuck though. If he flashes at all you can flip him for a pick easily.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the days of spending high picks for preseason or single game flashes may be done. I have no doubt that the Pats have been trying to deal Mallett, and no one is biting. Only Alex returned value, and that's b/c he produced for Harbs' system

I thought that it was already out there that the Jets would cut Tebow they just want to wait until it is closer to camp so it is harder for him to latch on somewhere else.

I don't think they can cut Sanchez. It's just too big a hit on the cap. As far as Tebow, I think they were wanting to trade him. If they are really not releasing him so he can't find a new job, then they deserve an eternity of buttfumbles

lol why is next year a strong draft? no one knows what will happen by the time next year rolls around. if you like a guy and think he can do good things for you then there is no reason to wait. there were a ton of good players in this years draft and there will be a ton in next years draft.

with that said, i'm pretty stoked the niners were able to move down 6 spots in the 2nd and get an extra 3rd rounder for next year. depending on how the comp picks pan out, we have at least 9 picks next year and maybe more if we get some extra comps

Colasante

lol why is next year a strong draft? no one knows what will happen by the time next year rolls around. if you like a guy and think he can do good things for you then there is no reason to wait. there were a ton of good players in this years draft and there will be a ton in next years draft.

with that said, i'm pretty stoked the niners were able to move down 6 spots in the 2nd and get an extra 3rd rounder for next year. depending on how the comp picks pan out, we have at least 9 picks next year and maybe more if we get some extra comps

There are better players projected to come out in the 2014 draft than came out this year. People act as if every 'next year' is considered to be the best, but I don't remember anyone speaking about this year's class in those terms last year. This time last year people were talking about Barkley, Robert Woods, Justin Hunter, and Star Lotulelei, but none of them were spoken of with the same air of potential greatness or whatever you'd like to call it the same way that people now are speaking of Clowney, Teddy Bridgewater, and Marqise Lee. Not to mention there were a lot of players who elected to go back this year that may have been top 10 picks, like Tajh Boyd, Taylor Lewan, Louis Nix III, and Jake Matthews.

bionic77

Yeah no one knows shit. Everyone always thinks they had a good draft. But most players never pan out and are gone in less than 3 years. Most guys who go on to be good to great are not picked to do so by most fans or analysts. There are only a few can't miss picks and they only go to the worst teams.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

I really don't see the harm in Tebow being on the roster. Sanchez really has to go though just because he's so fucking toxic to the entire organization at this point both on and off the field.

If he sucks then he sucks. And if he somehow doesn't then thats great too. But if Geno can't beat out Tim Tebow then really who gives a shit? Suck it up and draft Bridgewater or Manziel or whoever.

Going into the season with Garrard as the #1 is a bad idea. Dude hasn't played since 2010 and is pretty much the surest way to have Geno be the opening day QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom