• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ11

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the days of spending high picks for preseason or single game flashes may be done. I have no doubt that the Pats have been trying to deal Mallett, and no one is biting. Only Alex returned value, and that's b/c he produced for Harbs' system

No one is biting on Mallett because he hasn't done anything, like at all. He never gets burn, he's also a statue in the pocket Teams are still run by morons, suckers will be suckered.

Edit: Tajh Boyd? Listen fellas, I'm basically a Clemson fan with how often I tune into their games. Tajh Boyd is the most maddening player you'll ever lay your eyes on, some of it coaching, some of it is him being a dumb fuck with slow recognition inside the pocket, his brain is always behind the action. Here's a comment I wanted to make during the weekend, had the post written, but deleted it. EJ Manuel is a poor man's version of Tajh Boyd, system and talent may close the gap between the two. Boyd flashed in a bowl game and everyone started riding that dick. Boyd has flaws, a bunch of them, but when he's on he's dynamite, except he's never on for more than a quarter. Watched this dude for the last two years because I love what they do on O, but he's a flawed player.

You think Boyd went back to school for any other reason than to improve that draft stock? Dude wasn't a top 10 lock. Don't buy it at all. I've watched too much Boyd over the last two years, team is fucking stacked, and I do like him, but he's no lock in any draft. When the pocket breaks down, Boyd starts going backwards. Smart move going back, needs work.

squicken

There are better players projected to come out in the 2014 draft than came out this year. People act as if every 'next year' is considered to be the best, but I don't remember anyone speaking about this year's class in those terms last year. This time last year people were talking about Barkley, Robert Woods, Justin Hunter, and Star Lotulelei, but none of them were spoken of with the same air of potential greatness or whatever you'd like to call it the same way that people now are speaking of Clowney, Teddy Bridgewater, and Marqise Lee. Not to mention there were a lot of players who elected to go back this year that may have been top 10 picks, like Tajh Boyd, Taylor Lewan, Louis Nix III, and Jake Matthews.

You are right. People act like teams don't know anything, but a huge % of the star players are in the first round. Teams have scouts. They watch tape and see underclassmen. Hell the NBA already is looking at middle school kids, and so are Saban and Les Miles.

squicken

How is that winning a trade. lol browns

CLE did win that trade

I really don't see the harm in Tebow being on the roster. Sanchez really has to go though just because he's so fucking toxic to the entire organization at this point both on and off the field.

If he sucks then he sucks. And if he somehow doesn't then thats great too. But if Geno can't beat out Tim Tebow then really who gives a shit? Suck it up and draft Bridgewater or Manziel or whoever.

Going into the season with Garrard as the #1 is a bad idea. Dude hasn't played since 2010 and is pretty much the surest way to have Geno be the opening day QB.

Garrard won't survive preseason w/o getting hurt. I do see the point about Sanchez being toxic, and associated with the losing. I guess Palmer got that way with the players in Oakland b/c of that trade. McElroy has no arm. I don't know. Worst thing to do is play Geno too early, before he is ready. I don't think he is a day one starter

Edit: Tajh Boyd? Listen fellas, I'm basically a Clemson fan with how often I tune into their games. Tajh Boyd is the most maddening player you'll ever lay your eyes on, some of it coaching, some of it is him being a dumb fuck with slow recognition inside the pocket, his brain is always behind the action. Here's a comment I wanted to make during the weekend, had the post written, but deleted it. EJ Manuel is a poor man's version of Tajh Boyd, system and talent may close the gap between the two. Boyd flashed in a bowl game and everyone started riding that dick. Boyd has flaws, a bunch of them, but when he's on he's dynamite, except he's never on for more than a quarter. Watched this dude for the last two years because I love what they do on O, but he's a flawed player.

You think Boyd went back to school for any other reason than to improve that draft stock? Dude wasn't a top 10 lock. Don't buy it at all. I've watched too much Boyd over the last two years, team is fucking stacked, and I do like him, but he's no lock in any draft. When the pocket breaks down, Boyd starts going backwards. Smart move going back, needs work

That's interesting. Thanks. I really only know on him what I have heard. Just from the absurdly early mocks I have read, he's not a top 5 guy next year. It's Bridgewater and the two tackles. I just think the assumption is that from round 1-5 or whatever, 2014 is better than 2013. I certainly felt better about the guys in round 4 last year than I do this year

There are better players projected to come out in the 2014 draft than came out this year. People act as if every 'next year' is considered to be the best, but I don't remember anyone speaking about this year's class in those terms last year. This time last year people were talking about Barkley, Robert Woods, Justin Hunter, and Star Lotulelei, but none of them were spoken of with the same air of potential greatness or whatever you'd like to call it the same way that people now are speaking of Clowney, Teddy Bridgewater, and Marqise Lee. Not to mention there were a lot of players who elected to go back this year that may have been top 10 picks, like Tajh Boyd, Taylor Lewan, Louis Nix III, and Jake Matthews.

i guess my point is that none of that matters. what might be or what might have been. no one knows if this was a good draft class yet. no one knows if next years draft class will be good and you cant even say that if you saw all the players that were coming out. a good draft class is determined in the NFL with real games played, not college games or college stats.

i don't blame espn or nfl network or cbs or forum participants for rating players or whole draft classes at this point because it's just more football to talk about but its hard for me to get too high or too low on a draft player/class this soon after the draft

:jnc you beat me

I wonder how much truth there is behind cutting Sanchez and Tebow? I think the logical thing to do would be to cut those two, eat the expense, start Garrard, and if he is either injured or plays like shit, slot Geno in. Letting those two would feel like a fresh start and a step in the right direction.

It also allows Jax to sign Tebow, heralding the dawn of the best team in Florida.
Tebow holding up the Lombardi Trophy. Brings tears to my eyes.

jakncoke

Banned
CLE did win that trade

Garrard won't survive preseason w/o getting hurt. I do see the point about Sanchez being toxic, and associated with the losing. I guess Palmer got that way with the players in Oakland b/c of that trade. McElroy has no arm. I don't know. Worst thing to do is play Geno too early, before he is ready. I don't think he is a day one starter

That's interesting. Thanks. I really only know on him what I have heard. Just from the absurdly early mocks I have read, he's not a top 5 guy next year. It's Bridgewater and the two tackles. I just think the assumption is that from round 1-5 or whatever, 2014 is better than 2013. I certainly felt better about the guys in round 4 last year than I do this year

Oh do tell genius of all football knowledge

squicken

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn
Source says Tony Romo will be have influence in game plans, personnel and play-calling. He will game plan with coaches Mondays and Tuesdays

lulz

Oh do tell genius of all football knowledge

Then why was the rest of the league reluctant to part with 2014 picks? Or do this. Go find somewhere that thinks that PITT got the better of that deal

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn
Source says Tony Romo will be have influence in game plans, personnel and play-calling. He will game plan with coaches Mondays and Tuesdays

lulz

This is going to be the greatest season in NFL history. Romo to be the first ever player/OC/GM. What could possibly go wrong.

JABEE

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn

lulz

:jnc

Next year Romo will be taking over as head coach, because that is the only way you can justify paying him that much.

jakncoke

Banned
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn

lulz

Then why was the rest of the league reluctant to part with 2014 picks? Or do this. Go find somewhere that thinks that PITT got the better of that deal

How does trading a 3rd round pick for a 4th pick sound like a winning trade, Even if next year is a better class you arent going to be finding super studs in the 4th its going to be like any other year lol. Is it because one your nerd football sites that you parrot say Cleveland won? Ever since you gotten deep into those sites you've became a cunt douchebag :me

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, could you imagine all the Cowboys going "Romo" during the game at the same time. Going to be a lot of panic mistakes.

Media will just blame it all on someone else. Dez will probably take the brunt of it. I can't even count how many times he was blamed for Romo fuck ups last year.

squicken

:jnc

Next year Romo will be taking over as head coach, because that is the only way you can justify paying him that much.

I don't know if you saw it earlier, but Jerry basically said Romo doesn't work hard enough and needs to be more committed. So of course that created a shit storm so now Jerry is trying to spin it by saying he needs to be there more just b/c he is now going to have more responsibility. So he moved from undermining Romo to also making the coaches look dumb. Hard to believe Romo is going to have personnel say with Jerry in charge, of course

How does trading a 3rd round pick for a 4th pick sound like a winning trade, Even if next year is a better class you arent going to be finding super studs in the 4th its going to be like any other year lol. Is it because one your nerd football sites that you parrot say Cleveland won? Ever since you gotten deep into those sites you've became a cunt douchebag :me

Well I don't mean to be a cunt douchebag. But I do feel like that was a bad trade for PITT.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Seattle dodged a bullet...

ibmKlFKyLm49NJ.png

Still it's just a guessing game at this point. Hard to judge until a these guys careers are over and complete.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...aul-gets-high-praise-saints-flunk-the-weekend
Seattle Seahawks

Best pick: Second-round linebacker Bobby Wagner is an athletic kid who should push for a starting job right away. He is a Pete Carroll-type of LB.

Questionable move: Their first pick, taking defensive end Bruce Irvin. He had some character issues and some scouts think he doesn't play hard enough. He can rush the passer, so the attraction is obvious. Risky.

Third-day gem: Defensive tackle Jaye Howard, their second fourth-round pick, is a good player. He will come in and win a spot in the rotation as a rookie.

Analysis: They made a questionable move at the top with Irvin, bounced back by taking Wagner, but then took Russell Wilson in the third when they just signed Matt Flynn. Why? They did some good things on the final day, but Irvin is the key.

Grade: C+

jakncoke

Banned
I don't know if you saw it earlier, but Jerry basically said Romo doesn't work hard enough and needs to be more committed. So of course that created a shit storm so now Jerry is trying to spin it by saying he needs to be there more just b/c he is now going to have more responsibility. So he moved from undermining Romo to also making the coaches look dumb. Hard to believe Romo is going to have personnel say with Jerry in charge, of course

Well I don't mean to be a cunt douchebag. But I do feel like that was a bad trade for PITT.

But how? Is it because who we drafted?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That's from last year.
Exactly. We're talking about draft grades in hindsight, like this one:

Washington Redskins

Best pick: Robert Griffin III was their first pick, second overall, but they get props for moving up to make the pick.

Questionable move: Why take quarterback Kirk Cousins in the fourth round after taking Robert Griffin III in the first? That's a luxury pick.

Third-day gem: FAU running back Alfred Morris came in the sixth round. Mike Shanahan once drafted Terrell Davis in the sixth round. Morris is smaller than Davis, but has the same type of cutting ability.

Analysis: Getting Griffin was the right thing to do. They have their franchise passer. But they didn't do much after that. They didn't have a second-round pick, but I also don't like what they did with the rest of their picks.

Grade: B-
lol

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
CLE did win that trade

Whoa let's slow down here.

Kid hasn't even played a single game and we haven't even seen who Cleveland will draft with this pick.

There are no winners/losers as yet.

Godslay

Banned
Tebow holding up the Lombardi Trophy. Brings tears to my eyes.

I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Gator denies being a Jags fan, but if Tebow goes to Jax and wins, he can't jump on the bandwagon!

Yeah, he whiffed on the Denver picks as well. Wolfe is a solid starter. Then again we are only a year out, ,and Wilson could very well bust (I doubt he will). Wolfe could have had the best season he'll ever have and slink off into obscurity. Only time will tell.

I will say that it seems that football is so much harder to nail down talent. So really these guys are just making educated guesses, so it will be hit or miss.

Looking at old draft 'grades'

No. 48: Panthers select: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame

Analysis: This is a steal. Wow. The Panthers needed a passer, and they get one. This will work out well for the Panthers and Clausen. He will be better than Tebow.
A+

I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Gator denies being a Jags fan, but if Tebow and wins, he can't jump on the bandwagon!

Yeah, he whiffed on the Denver picks as well. Wolfe is a solid starter. Then again we are only a year out, ,and Wilson could very well bust (I doubt he will). Wolfe could have had the best season he'll ever have and slink off into obscurity. Only time will tell.

I will say that it seems that football is so much harder to nail down talent. So really these guys are just making educated guesses, so it will be hit or miss.

If the Jags win the Super Bowl I will wear a Jag avatar forever.

squicken

But how? Is it because who we drafted?

Just in general, you don't want to give up 2nd round picks in year 3 so you can get a 3rd round pick in year 2. It's easier to find better players the higher up you are in a draft. I personally think the Steelers aren't being realistic about their roster, and they are going to wish they had that third next year

For a stat geek take on it,

http://www.footballperspective.com/...unds-4-through-7-of-the-2013-draft/#more-9983

jakncoke

Banned
Just in general, you don't want to give up 2nd round picks in year 3 so you can get a 3rd round pick in year 2. It's easier to find better players the higher up you are in a draft. I personally think the Steelers aren't being realistic about their roster, and they are going to wish they had that third next year

For a stat geek take on it,

http://www.footballperspective.com/...unds-4-through-7-of-the-2013-draft/#more-9983

lol derp i confused myself into thinking we traded up for a 3rd and gave a 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom