• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerry the talent evaluator is actually not bad. Not great but there are many who are worse. He's awful at managing his cap, and he hires dumb asses as coaches. That's his biggest flaw. He hires coaches that he can push around, and so of course the players don't really respect that guy

He traded up in the 2nd round to draft Quincy Carter.

The Romo contract is only bad because he is old. If he maintains his current play he's totally worth the money

You think Romo is worth more guaranteed money then Flacco or Brady or any other QB ever? This is a horrible deal and now the Cowboys will be in cap hell not only this year but for several years going forward. They badly overpaid a guy that has 1 playoff win in his life.

effzee

Tony Romo 6 yr 55 million dollar extension. Wow really, with one playoff win. You got to be kidding me
@DonovanJMcNabb

GET EM DONNIE!

This is great news! Sucks for the Cowboys that Jerry loves Romo so much. Maybe he reminds him of better days and think this will get it done.

How much cap space does this open up for them for this season?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Rodgers' contract going to be entirely guaranteed? I have no idea how Green Bay is going to do his contract at this point.

Tom Penny

You think Romo is worth more guaranteed money then Flacco or Brady or any other QB ever? This is a horrible deal and now the Cowboys will be in cap hell not only this year but for several years going forward. They badly overpaid a guy that has 1 playoff win in his life.

He's better than Flacco and on par with Brady.

Striker

He got far more guaranteed money than Flacco, Eli, and Brees, by comparison.

I mean I see this contract last three years, maybe four tops.

squicken

I think it's insane Flacco got 20m/yr. Unless you subscribe to theory that Cameron was holding back an elite talent, he's a totally average QB that has always been protected by a good defense and run game. Brady took less money b/c Kraft played him and told him he would spend it on free agents when he really just wanted to buy New Myra a Manhattan townhome

Romo is the reason that Dallas is even in position to blow close games. A league average QB and they win 4 games last year

I think it's insane Flacco got 20m/yr. Unless you subscribe to theory that Cameron was holding back an elite talent, he's a totally average QB that has always been protected by a good defense and run game. Brady took less money b/c Kraft played him and told him he would spend it on free agents when he really just wanted to buy New Myra a Manhattan townhome

Romo is the reason that Dallas is even in position to blow close games. A league average QB and they win 4 games last year

fucking Kraft.how dare he lie to Tom.

He's better than Flacco and on par with Brady.

1360809152454_zpsdf3f8656.gif

squicken

OAK and KC have now both passed on QBs in this draft, at least in round one. I imagine that most other teams we see mocked as taking any of these guys is BS. Might not see a QB go in the top 10

Colasante

OAK and KC have now both passed on QBs in this draft, at least in round one. I imagine that most other teams we see mocked as taking any of these guys is BS. Might not see a QB go in the top 10

But Oakland and Kansas City acquired quarterbacks so that they wouldn't be forced to take one early. Buffalo hasn't done that. Geno will almost certainly go there at this point, unless the Bills pick up Carson Palmer.

effzee

But Oakland and Kansas City acquired quarterbacks so that they wouldn't be forced to take one early. Buffalo hasn't done that. Geno will almost certainly go there at this point, unless the Bills pick up Carson Palmer.

I think Buffalo takes Nasib over any of the other guys. Meaning they wait till the 2nd round.

And Arizona doesn't seem interested at all in him unless its to throw everyone off. I say he goes to the JETS!

Also I think it is time I admit I don't know how twitter works :(

I made a profile but I really don't get it. I think I'll stick to FB like most old ladies do.

squicken

JESUS TITTIE FUCKING CHRIST SAN FRAN & SEATTLE GET A 2013 & 2014 PICKS FOR MATT FUCKING FLYNN AND ALEX SMITH?!

God KC and OAK suck

To be fair, the 2009 draft was generally a shit draft. The Patriots also made 12 selections and only have one, Sebastian Vollmer, left.

The 2009 draft class will go down as the year of the WR, Draft had so many good WR, and dumb ass Jerrah traded with Roy hahahahaha please live forever Jerrah...

To be fair, the 2009 draft was generally a shit draft. The Patriots also made 12 selections and only have one, Sebastian Vollmer, left.
The only thing that statement tells me is that Pats sucked as much ass drafting as the Cowboys that year:

Giants: Hakeem Nicks, Will Beatty, Andre Brown.

Two starters and a rotation RB who came on big last year after being initially released and resigned.

Steelers
: Ziggy Hood, Mike Wallace, Keenan Lewis

Hood will likely be a starter. Wallace and Lewis are no longer there but not because they suck but because of poor cap management.

Ravens
: Michael Oher, Paul Kruger, Lardarius Webb

All starters. Kruger just got a big money contract.

Packers: BJ Raji, Clay Matthews, TJ Lang

All starters.

You can argue the "quality" the players there but I go back to the 4 teams that are always mentioned as quality drafting teams and who have won Super Bowls in the past few years.

Jerry's best draft is probably the 2011 class. Tyron Smith, Bruce Carter and Demarco Murray were all solid solid hits in the first three rounds.

Sean Lee was excellent from the 2010 class. Dez is a miracle of athletic talent but who knows if he gets his head out of his ass or not off the field.

Dre3001

I was just thinking this same exact point.

The QB class must really be weak this year if teams are willing to settle for stopgap QBs like Flynn and Smith.

I feel like only 1 QB may go first round this year if any do.

squicken

I was just thinking this same exact point.

The QB class must really be weak this year if teams are willing to settle for stopgap QBs like Flynn and Smith.

I feel like only 1 QB may go first round this year if any do.

I think we may see teams jump back in the first round round to take a QB. Or just wait until round 2. Once you get past pick 10, no team will take a QB. It's going to screw up the draft if no QBs go early. Teams wanting OL and WR will be drafting 2nd round talents at pick 15 or so

effzee

Come to me

Don't know where he goes but I did look his highlights, combine, and interviews up.

He comes across as a very impressive young man who seems to have his head on straight.

Warming up to Eagles taking him in the 2nd. But really if someone like Boyd is the target next year, would rather roll the dice with Vick/Foles and fill some other major holes.

cdyhybrid

I don't really remember EJ Manuel being anything special in college except when Florida State would fall on their face every year. Is he actually a decent prospect?

He's got the tools. Seems like he isn't a headcase.

gregg rosenthal ‏@greggrosenthal 1m
Matt Flynn is set to make about same $ as Matt Hasselbeck. Raiders want Flynn to take pay cut. Shows how they see him.

Colasante

The only thing that statement tells me is that Pats sucked as much ass drafting as the Cowboys that year:

Two starters and a rotation RB who came on big last year after being initially released and resigned.

Steelers

Hood will likely be a starter. Wallace and Lewis are no longer there but not because they suck but because of poor cap management.

Ravens

All starters.

You can argue the "quality" the players there but I go back to the 4 teams that are always mentioned as quality drafting teams and who have won Super Bowls in the past few years.

Jerry's best draft is probably the 2011 class. Tyron Smith, Bruce Carter and Demarco Murray were all solid solid hits in the first three rounds.

Sean Lee was excellent from the 2010 class. Dez is a miracle of athletic talent but who knows if he gets his head out of his ass or not off the field.

Those are all valid points, I still think the 2009 draft simply didn't have as many impact players in it as the 2010 draft. Nicks and Beatty were good selections, but in 2010 the Giants selected JPP, Linval Joseph, and picked up UDFAs Victor Cruz and Jake Ballard. The Patriots meanwhile drafted 6 starters, including Gronk, Hernandez, McCourty, and Spikes. The Steelers drafted Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Pouncey, and Dwyer. Personally, I think the 2010 drafts were better for all three of those teams compared to the 2009 drafts. Still, you're right, 2009 was an awful draft class for the Cowboys.

jakncoke

Banned

Steelers

Ravens

All starters.

You mean signing all your stars to big contracts then convert base to bonus for later isnt very smart? Well i'll be.

squicken

Those are all valid points, I still think the 2009 draft simply didn't have as many impact players in it as the 2010 draft. Nicks and Beatty were good selections, but in 2010 the Giants selected JPP, Linval Joseph, and picked up UDFAs Victor Cruz and Jake Ballard. The Patriots meanwhile drafted 6 starters, including Gronk, Hernandez, McCourty, and Spikes. The Steelers drafted Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Pouncey, and Dwyer. Personally, I think the 2010 drafts were better for all three of those teams compared to the 2009 drafts. Still, you're right, 2009 was an awful draft class for the Cowboys.

The Rams took Jason Smith that year. They desperately tried to trade down. They literally would swapped 2 for 15 straight up, but no one wanted it. They took Brown b/c he was supposed to be "safe". It's the draft that really showed the owners how punitive the CBA was to bad teams. Talent poor teams got further crushed with awful rookie contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom