• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechDX

snes about to have a stroke right now in chat, poor guy.

What has Sega put out recently that's good? While I absolutely adore Valkyria Chronicles, its from 2008, surely they put out something in a 5 year span that was of equal quality.

Is there a different link for the chat now? The one I have leads me to #nfl-age but no one is ever there!

So when does Bioshock Infinite turn into more than a decent shooter with an above average premise and good production values? Not really feeling it so far.

SNES I still love ya man and I'm not trying to hate on Nintendo in all capacities. Still many fond memories from all the older systems over the years and they still make quality games. Just can't do everything else that a hardware developer is responsible for well anymore.

So when does Bioshock Infinite turn into more than a decent shooter with an above average premise and good production values? Not really feeling it so far.

I think the story gets interesting once you reach
the hall of heroes
I think that was around 3 or 4 hours in, but I also ran around and tried to find all the audio recordings.

If you aren't feeling immersed into the setting and really soaking up the atmosphere, might not be for you as that is the game's greatest strength. That said, game really kicks it up later on and is pretty awesome in the final stretch. I'm within an hour of beating it and I hear the ending is supposed to be mind blowing. Which means it's been over hyped for me haha

Godslay

Banned
Don't buy Nintendo hardware for 3rd party games. It's simple really.

In terms of the actual hardware itself, they have gone the budget route the last two gens. Personally, I don't really see much of an issue with it, they have continued to produce software whose quality is largely unmatched. That is what really matters.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I own a Wii U but I barely play it. Nintendo is going to have to work to get my attention this fall especially considering we have new console launches and a bunch of great games for PS3 and PC this year.

I really think Nintendo is going to abandon this console and release a new one in 4 years.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 15m

Raiders QB Matt Flynn restructured his deal, increased 2013 base salary from $5.25 million to $6.5 million -- all guaranteed.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 15m

In second year of his restructured contract, Raiders QB Matt Flynn's base salary drops from $6.25 million to $5 million.

Salary info for Flynn.

bionic77

Where we disagree is that a handful of good first party games justify buying a system. It's not even about money to me, I just feel insulted that a company fails so spectacularly at garnering third party support that I have to literally wait for sequels as the only games worth getting. Also that they put so little effort into creating real games for actual gamers. It's nauseating how many bullshit gimmicks are lined on game store shelves under the Wii. Galaxies were great, Zelda TP, DKCR was nice, Super Paper Mario, and I personally enjoy the Broken Sword series so getting the director cut of the first game with more content was awesome. That's about it. I'm sure MP3 was good, didn't play that though. So we have a handful of first party games with one outsource and one third party that's a port with a little added content out of the systems entire life span. Wii was an utter failure for me and this is coming from someone that owns every major Nintendo console ever made except the Wii-U.

I know I'm not alone when I say that Nintendo just doesn't know what they're doing anymore and are incapable of hosting hardware and cultivating adequate external support. I hope for the day that they go the route of Sega and only make games. That is where their strength lies, the one thing people think of when Nintendo rolls through their mind. Who thinks of Nintendo hardware specifically? It's the first party games. So just do what you're good at and make games for systems that are relevant. Exception being hand helds where they still corner the market.
I like those games. If I have the time I will get a U just for the Nintendo games. I understand if that does not appeal to people who want it all on one console but I never cared about that. Hell I eventually got a Genesis to go with my Super Nintendo. Was given a master system. Got a TG16 (that was actually a bad purchase). Instead of a Saturn I got a PSX but I got the DC after that.

All that matters is the games unless you get up in GAF bullshit. I can't games like Galaxy or Fire Emblem anywhere else and they are too good for me to pass up.

I did not play my Wii very much, but honestly it was not like I played my PS3 that much more. Last gen was crap.

And fuck tablets for games. I don't let my kids play games but if I did I would not let them just have access to shifty .99 iOS games that almost all have the worst controls.

When you put it on hard or (preferably) 1999 mode and are forced to actually use vigors. Medium and below is tuned like a "shooters for dummies" game, IMO (i.e. you just want to experience the story). You can fall back and rely on nothing but guns to get through combat without doing much else. Hard and above actually bring out the best in the combat; crowd control, proper use of vigors and vigor combinations specifically along with the need to stay mobile throughout the battlefield (i.e. using the skylines).

Godslay

Banned
I own a Wii U but I barely play it. Nintendo is going to have to work to get my attention this fall especially considering we have new console launches and a bunch of great games for PS3 and PC this year.

I really think Nintendo is going to abandon this console and release a new one in 4 years.

Of course you barely play it. We are still in the post-launch doldrums. 3DS went through the same thing. The games will come.

Im playing Bioshock on medium and am having tons of fun with it.
Not saying you can't. I did my first run through on medium and that was fine because I wanted to get through without much of an impediment to experiencing the story. I can completely see how folks would consider it disappointing and the game play wanting on those difficulties because it doesn't offer much of a challenge or push you to use the tools available to you, IMO. Playing on hard has really pushed me to start thinking about what each vigor brings to the table and how best to use them. I played a bit of 1999 mode and I think I'm definitely doing a run on that very soon.:)

That's a very valid criticism of the game - it's poorly balanced in the lower difficulties and even hard an be maddeningly easy at times but it's really a matter of getting what you want out of the game, right?

Not saying you can't. I did my first run through on medium and that was fine because I wanted to get through without much of an impediment to experiencing the story. I can completely see how folks would consider it disappointing and the game play wanting on those difficulties because it doesn't offer much of a challenge of push you to use the tools available to you, IMO.

That's a valid criticism of the game - it's poorly balanced.

i say to the contrary. i played on hard since it was recommended and i felt that it made the gameplay less enjoyable. i really only used 3 of the vigors consistently because i knew i could handle the "cheaper" fights with them. next playthrough will be on medium so i can make use of some of the less vigors without penalty!

Thanks guys. I'm early on so hopefully it'll pick up for me soon. I'm playing on hard and it feels okay most of the time but sometimes I feel like my health and shield are gone before I can blink. I'm still really early though so I probably just need to get some better gear and weapons.

Me too.

Futurevoid, are you on PC? Maybe it's even easier with KB/M. Otherwise, I might just suck at gaming, bcause I thought there were several encounters that were challenging enough.
PC, yep.

I played a good portion of the game on hard and found it fluffy still as mentioned. 1999 mode is where its at if you want a challenge and you don't have to "cheap" out on vigors either. There are go to vigors of course but I've had no issue with using an array of them on the harder difficulties in my experience. So I'll disagree with FMT on that point.

Ah opinions...

Thanks guys. I'm early on so hopefully it'll pick up for me soon. I'm playing on hard and it feels okay most of the time but sometimes I feel like my health and shield are gone before I can blink. I'm still really early though so I probably just need to get some better gear and weapons.
Some of the later encounters may drive you nuts, then. Honestly you may want to do what some are saying (including FMT) and play on medium to start with to take in the story. The lighter difficulties do definitely help with experimentation and making you feel a bit more bad ass! I agree with FMT in that regard and you won't hit any of those advancement walls that can frustrate.

Me too.

Futurevoid, are you on PC? Maybe it's even easier with KB/M. Otherwise, I might just suck at gaming, bcause I thought there were several encounters that were challenging enough.
Which ones? The only one I found to offer any real challenge on medium was
the Hand of the Prophet
assault and that was because it took me a few to understand where things were coming from. Outside of that, I thought even the Handymen were a big pile of pussies.

Some of the later encounters may drive you nuts, then. Honestly you may want to do what some are saying (including FMT) and play on medium to start with to take in the story. The lighter difficulties to definitely help with experimentation and making you feel a bit more bad ass! I agree with FMT in that regard and you won't hit any of those advancement walls that can frustrate.
Probably solid advice but I'm way too stubborn for that, haha. I don't mind a nice challenge, I just haven't really gotten into the flow of the combat yet I suppose.

PC, yep.

I played a good portion of the game on hard and found it fluffy still as mentioned. 1999 mode is where its at if you want a challenge and you don't have to "cheap" out on vigors either. There are go to vigors of course but I've had no issue with using an array of them on the harder difficulties in my experience. So I'll disagree with FMT on that point.

Ah opinions...

Some of the later encounters may drive you nuts, then. Honestly you may want to do what some are saying (including FMT) and play on medium to start with to take in the story. The lighter difficulties to definitely help with experimentation and making you feel a bit more bad ass! I agree with FMT in that regard and you won't hit any of those advancement walls that can frustrate.

Which ones? The only one I found to offer any real challenge on medium was
the Hand of the Prophet
assault and that was because it took me a few to understand where things were coming from. Outside of that, I thought even the Handymen were a big pile of pussies.

i truthfully didn't reach any truly frustrating parts until the
lady comstock ghost fights. jesus that was fucking annoying on hard. then from there i had a ton of problems with the handy men and others

i truthfully didn't reach any truly frustrating parts until the
lady comstock ghost fights. jesus that was fucking annoying on hard. then from there i had a ton of problems with the handy men and others
I think a lot of folks share your pain on that one. Upgraded Murder of Crows + Chain Shock Jockey on the
resurrected minions and then pure Volley Gun concentration on the ghost took care of those encounters for me pretty nicely. The only reason I used the MOC+SJ combo was to keep the minions frozen and taking damage from the electrocuted birds so I could concentrate fire on her. If they broke free, I pumped out an upgraded Bucking Bronco vigor with an extension on the time they stayed in the air to keep them out of my way.

I've heard that parts a bitch on 1999 mode though.:(

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Of course you barely play it. We are still in the post-launch doldrums. 3DS went through the same thing. The games will come.

I hope so! I'm afraid that they'll want the casual audience back so badly that most of their offerings won't be designed with the core gamer in mind. I have zero use for games like Wii Fit or what they did to Paper Mario on 3DS.

I think a lot of folks share your pain on that one. Upgraded Murder of Crows + Chain Shock Jockey on the
resurrected minions and then pure Volley Gun concentration on the ghost took care of those encounters for me pretty nicely. The only reason I used the MOC+SJ combo was to keep the minions frozen and taking damage from the electrocuted birds so I could concentrate fire on her. If they broke free, I pumped out an upgraded Bucking Bronco vigor with an extension on the time they stayed in the air to keep them out of my way.

I've heard that parts a bitch on 1999 mode though.:(

by the 3rd fight i figured out a good method using the crows and the charging vigor (can't remember the name). i'd charge the crows to distract her minions and then go to town on her with the charge getting up close + shotgun to the face!

i guess i did have some experimenting so i dont want to make it seem like hard was terrible but too often i'd just fall into the lull of using possession on regular enemies and let them either a) eliminate the non possessed and kill themselves afterwards or b) they get killed and i set someone else to be possessed

jakncoke

Banned
...GAH, fucking triple post! The wonders of my stupid iPad.

handclapmindmully.jpg

i haven't turned my wiiU on since whenever fzero SNES went on sale for 30 cents. what a god damn shame rayman didn't come out in feb because i would have gladly paid $60 for it. now it's coming out in the fall and i will just wait until 2014 to get it for cheap on 360/ps3/pc/whatever.

smooth move ubisoft

Just got to Monument Island. I'm definitely starting to enjoy the combat more already. It was faster than I thought it'd be, like a typical PC FPS (I'm playing on PS3).

I like those games. If I have the time I will get a U just for the Nintendo games. I understand if that does not appeal to people who want it all on one console but I never cared about that. Hell I eventually got a Genesis to go with my Super Nintendo. Was given a master system. Got a TG16 (that was actually a bad purchase). Instead of a Saturn I got a PSX but I got the DC after that.

All that matters is the games unless you get up in GAF bullshit. I can't games like Galaxy or Fire Emblem anywhere else and they are too good for me to pass up.

I did not play my Wii very much, but honestly it was not like I played my PS3 that much more. Last gen was crap.

And fuck tablets for games. I don't let my kids play games but if I did I would not let them just have access to shifty .99 iOS games that almost all have the worst controls.

I have no problem with those that are willing to buy the console solely for those games, I'm just done with it, personally. Just looking at the amount of Wii games I felt compelled to get compared to the two consoles before it really spoke to me. Especially because back then I made shit money whereas in the Wii and later time frame, I can easily afford as many games as I want at any given time. The software just wasn't there. I mean it was, but too few and too seldom. Nothing puts a smile on my face like playing a new Mario game but it's sad knowing that it's sequel is one of few other games that will be worth getting to me. Skyward Sword really disappointed me which makes it even easier on me where as I felt like I would buy a console for Zelda alone before. Doesn't mean the next Zelda won't look great and make me covet it but I've just become disillusioned with Nintendo generating enough worthwhile content.

I also have loved the company since childhood so I really want them to thrive so it's frustrating seeing them struggle to get with the times. They couldn't see enough consumers owning HDTV's when the Wii was being developed, they thought online play was a fad. They didn't take the time to build a proper online infrastructure. So many short sights. Wii-U is more promising in multiple regards in that now that it's HD, third party companies should feel more compelled to make a version of their game for it where as they refused with the Wii. They also put more effort into their online infrastructure so it's nice to see them attempt at addressing some of their problems but right now I see the controller as a gimmick as the wiimote ended up being for me, and the tech is inferior to other next gen right out the gate. Why does this matter? Because even if they get third party support, who's going to want to get the Wii-U version when it is hands down the inferior version between the three? (besides Wii-U only owners, of course). How many developers are going to feel compelled to make exclusives for the Wii-U when it has inferior technology to the other two competitors? Anyway you look at it, it's not promising. The only question you ask yourself when you're contemplating buying the Wii-U is whether you're ok with buying it solely for the handful or so first party games that come out during it's lifespan.

ChanHuk

Banned
You guys talk about computer games a lot. Your teams must suck.

Well I am a Raiders fan. Believe it or not. Since 2012 the only game I've played through its entirety is Valkyria Chronicles. I had Tales of Graces f through about halfway but the story and characters suck so much I put it down.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Well I am a Raiders fan. Believe it or not. Since 2012 the only game I've played through its entirety is Valkyria Chronicles. I had Tales of Graces f through about halfway but the story and characters suck so much I put it down.

I hated everything about Sophie so I know that feel.

I still put 100+ hours into it!

DHB now a Colt. Good? idk Still seems redundant to Hilton and Brazill
Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo 2m

That's a one-year deal for DHB with Indy. Up to $3 million. $1.5 million guaranteed.
Not exactly breaking the bank for him so I don't see the harm. I wouldn't have minded the Giants taking a chance on him to be frank if we hadn't picked up Murphy.

EDIT: DeAngelo Hall back with the Redskins on a one year deal as well:

Grant Paulsen @granthpaulsen 10m

Source: #Redskins and CB Deangelo Hall have agreed on a one-year deal that will bring the veteran defender back to Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom