• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to see "Olympus Has Fallen" tonight. Pretty good for a straight up action/popcorn movie.
Butler's character was giving no fucks AT ALL going through those terrorists. He was at 300 levels of ass kicking.

squicken

Ozzie putting hits out on Ellerbe and Reed. Those must have really stung

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-preston-ravens-0402-20130401,0,7238791.column?page=2

It was interesting to see how the national media made it seem like the Ravens were in a bidding war with Houston for former safety Ed Reed.

The Ravens made it appear that way out of respect for Reed, and it certainly put more money in Reed's pocket. But Ravens coach John Harbaugh wanted Reed back as much as he wants a root canal.

It was the perfect time for both parties to go their separate ways.
--

Ellerbe improved his work ethic and practice habits while in Baltimore, but he did like to party and there is going to be a lot of temptation in South Beach.

squicken

Jim Irsay ‏@JimIrsay
FLORIO-Floor Sweeper,maybe 160 mil.is chump-change 2U,but see a New Wide Receiver catches the football from the QB,there's beginner courses

squicken

When FA started, Irsay was tweeting about private jets and hundreds of millions of dollars being spent. Then he talked up the trade that never happened. Florio ribbed him for the relative small time players and contracts they signed, and said if he ended up with DHB it would have been Irsay over-selling again. Guess Irsay didn't like it

bluemax

Banned
but can johnny football party like vince young? $300k birthday parties and shots of patron for all the boys!

Vince-Young.jpg

vince-5-bx1.jpg

look at a young roofles trying to get in on this party!

Have you seen the Johnny Football concert and beach pics? The guy is probably a coke fiend.

cdyhybrid

When FA started, Irsay was tweeting about private jets and hundreds of millions of dollars being spent. Then he talked up the trade that never happened. Florio ribbed him for the relative small time players and contracts they signed, and said if he ended up with DHB it would have been Irsay over-selling again. Guess Irsay didn't like it

I read and understand this post, but I still have no clue what Irsay is trying to say in the tweet :p

SonnyBoy

Who would have thought we'd see the day... LOL

the Redskins returned more starters than any other NFL team.

An outfit called Draftmetrics.com did the legwork. They looked at how many players who started eight or more games in 2012 are signed with the same team. The Redskins have the most with 21 (missing only free safety Madieu Williams, chart was compiled before DeAngelo Hall was re-signed last night). The Patriots, Packers, and 49ers kept 19 of their starters while five teams kept 18.

After years of turmoil, the thought of the Redskins being the most stable team in football might take some getting used to.

The Redskins Are Retention Leaders

effzee

So this scouting report that destroys Geno Smith...

I don't buy it. Dude might end up sucking and be out of the league in 2-3 seasons but I refuse to believe that of all the draft experts and everyone trying to be "right" didn't have access to the same information or would sit on it.

This talk of poor work ethic, nonchalant attitude, and not a student of the game has to be coming from someone within the program or someone who is close to Geno. And only one "analyst" had access to this person or persons?

Vio-Lence

Banned
How many of you got the belt/something else as kids?

I did and I was probably better off. Right now I think parents are taking the whole "my child is awesome, teachers fault, society doesn't understand, my little fucking angel" approach.
Belt and wooden spoon here, old world discipline probably did OK for me.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
How many of you got the belt/something else as kids?

I did and I was probably better off. Right now I think parents are taking the whole "my child is awesome, teachers fault, society doesn't understand, my little fucking angel" approach.

I didn't get punished too much but every so often I would get hit.

belt, that grey phone wire, toy train tracks, and only hit with an actual hand by my mom.

My mom forbid my dad from ever hitting me because his hands and arms were like tree trunks.

eznark

Banned
I was up in Milwaukee the last couple days and holy shit I cannot believe how many people are actually bitching about the potential Rodgers extension. People are fucking dumb. It's like real life Packers fans are as idiotic as internet Lions fans.

brentech

I was up in Milwaukee the last couple days and holy shit I cannot believe how many people are actually bitching about the potential Rodgers extension. People are fucking dumb. It's like real life Packers fans are as idiotic as internet Lions fans.

are you serious? upset that he's getting paid a large sum?

eznark

Banned
are you serious? upset that he's getting paid a large sum?

Yeah, "you can't pay just one guy!!!!!"

Also, follow a twitter account called like realjscomments or something like that. Lot's of amazing responses to the ongiong negotiations.

Now, I saw "a lot" but really it was probably like three different groups of people that I overheard at a bar on Sunday night and at Opening Day on Monday. Still, one person saying that shit is too many.

I dont buy that Geno Report either i've seen a couple of interviews with him and heard him talk about the game, Geno seems like the total opposite of what that report says. I remember one interview he was talking about how playing Qb is kinda like playing chess if was quite impressive and he seemed to have tons of confidence.

Yeah, "you can't pay just one guy!!!!!"

Also, follow a twitter account called like realjscomments or something like that. Lot's of amazing responses to the ongiong negotiations.

Now, I saw "a lot" but really it was probably like three different groups of people that I overheard at a bar on Sunday night and at Opening Day on Monday. Still, one person saying that shit is too many.
That "what have you done for me lately?" attitude. I guess that's what you fall back on when you're incapable of seeing how valuable a player is to your team.

I dont buy that Geno Report either i've seen a couple of interviews with him and heard him talk about the game, Geno seems like the total opposite of what that report says. I remember one interview he was talking about how playing Qb is kinda like playing chess if was quite impressive and he seemed to elude confidence.
I was gullible and kind of believed that report without really looking into it. Seems like it's far from unanimous at least.

effzee

Fans by and large hate players getting paid. They can justify a guy leaving by turning against him and surprisingly always side with management.

Link to the geno report?
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/04/01/barkley-smith-scouting-reports

QB Geno Smith, #12

West Virginia

PFW Grade: 5.39

Ht: 6-2 3/8 | Wt: 218 | Sp: 4.59 | Arm: 321/2 | Hand: 91/4

Notes: His cousin, Melvin Bratton, was a star running back for the Miami Hurricanes in the late 1980s. The Florida prep was a Parade All-American selection after throwing for over 3,000 yards and 32 touchdowns. Saw limited action in five games as a true freshman in 2009, completing 32-of-49 passes for 309 yards (65.3 percent) with one touchdown and one interception while playing through a broken fifth metatarsal in his left foot for part of the season. Took over as the starter in ’10 and tossed 241-372-2,763-24-7 (64.8) in 13 starts. Was the first West Virginia QB in 12 years to throw for over 2,500 yards in a season. Garnered heavy recognition for ’11 season, setting the Big East Conference and school mark for passing yards with 346-526-4,385-31-7 (65.8), in addition to becoming the first Mountaineer QB in history and only the second Big East player to surpass 4,000 yards in a season in 13 starts. Named Orange Bowl MVP after throwing for 407 yards and six touchdowns against Clemson. Set the school record and led the Big 12 Conference in touchdown passes in ’12 after tossing 369-518-4,205-42-6 (a conference-leading 71.2) in 13 starts. Threw for 656 yards and eight touchdowns in a 70-63 shootout victory against Baylor. Had a 26-13 record in 39 career starts.

Positives: Has a strong arm and can rifle the ball with good velocity into tight windows. Can throw with accuracy on the move and layer the deep ball. Good overall accuracy, ball placement and touch, especially on the fade route. Throws a very catchable ball — spins it tightly. Good escapability — can sidestep the rush, find an open throwing window and extend plays with his feet when needed. Outstanding straight-line speed — clocked the best 40-yard time (4.56 seconds) and broad jump (10-foot-4) of any quarterback at the Combine. Very durable, experienced, three-year starter — overcame an average offensive line, has never missed any time to injury and will play through pain.

Negatives: Operated an offense where he received adjustments from the sidelines and was often out of sync with receivers. Average field vision and coverage recognition — forces throws and does not work through progressions. Takes unnecessary sacks and does not feel pressure well. Not an elusive scrambler. Shaky lower-body mechanics — does not stand tall in the pocket (crouches, hops, dances and elevates to his toes when he throws). Has pin legs and bad pocket posture. Operated almost exclusively from the gun. Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.

Summary: Started the season red-hot with the help of two playmaking receivers and created a national stir generating a lot of overexcitement in the scouting community. Quickly came down to earth after Kansas State disguised coverages and brought pressure he could not handle and he finished dropping six of his final eight games. A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.

NFL projection: Top-50 pick.

effzee

I dont buy that Geno Report either i've seen a couple of interviews with him and heard him talk about the game, Geno seems like the total opposite of what that report says. I remember one interview he was talking about how playing Qb is kinda like playing chess if was quite impressive and he seemed to have tons of confidence.

Yeah this one particular evaluation came across more as "let me the one who gets all the attention".

Geno might be soft as pudding and never be anything but questioning his work ethic and desire to play makes him sound like JaMarcus Russell.

Todd McShay is on Mike and Mike right now. Saying some scouts have expressed worry that his coaches protected him or coddled him but some of the other claims like work ethic seem off base because everyone claims he was always in the gym, film room, and spent "dark hours" for practice.

Goes on to say he is overly emotional about not winning but good leadership and confident.

Don't know where he goes now though. Jaguars might still take a chance.

EDIT: My opinion is that this information must be coming from within the program. Just don't get why other scouts and analysts wouldn't voice these same concerns because I am sure they all have similar or equal access. Unless this was exclusively offered to Nawrocki. Or maybe teams and other analysts are being nice and just internally saying the same things.

Effzee bro you're taking Geno stop this denial thing, Im just kidding.
Chip is kinda coming off like he believes he's smarter then everyone else I don't really know how much I agree about what he said about his system.

And yeah I'm watching Mike and Mike too, funny because I remember reading that article/interview about the guy who coached both Weeden and Geno

eznark

Banned
I actually agree with all of the on-field negatives. Guy was super, super sloppy and honestly wasn't that fantastic to begin with. If he is in last years draft (after his senior season) no one is talking about him.

Other scouts are making the same mechanical comments. Smith missed way too many wide open receivers in college for my tastes. The windows are so much smaller in the NFL. Those missed throws aren't incompletions at the next level, they are turnovers. I really don't like him at all.

A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.

That's amazing.

That said, I haven't heard much about his off the field attitude. Maybe talking heads just don't want to be accused of being racists like they were after calling Vince Young soft and lazy.

effzee

I actually agree with all of the on-field negatives. Guy was super, super sloppy and honestly wasn't that fantastic to begin with. If he is in last years draft (after his senior season) no one is talking about him.

Other scouts are making the same mechanical comments. Smith missed way too many wide open receivers in college for my tastes. The windows are so much smaller in the NFL. Those missed throws aren't incompletions at the next level, they are turnovers. I really don't like him at all.

That's amazing.

That said, I haven't heard much about his off the field attitude. Maybe talking heads just don't want to be accused of being racists like they were after calling Vince Young soft and lazy.

Yeah the on field stuff I can buy. I mean we all know this isn't a strong class of QBs and any of these guys picked in the top 10 might be reaches. Its also why so many of the teams who need QBs, my team included, have sort of filled those spots for at least this coming season so they don't have to reach.

The off the field stuff just seems crazy. Where he goes kinda rooting for the guy to do well. Seems like a hatchet job at the last minute to sell books and ruin his rep.

If no QB is selected in the top 10, and the next set of teams don't need QBs, I guess the best chance these guys have of going in the first is one of these teams trading back into the first round.

I don't even think the Jags should just hit the reset button this quick on Gabbart. Especially since these guys aren't Luck and RG3.

effzee

Effzee bro you're taking Geno stop this denial thing, Im just kidding.
Chip is kinda coming off like he believes he's smarter then everyone else I don't really know how much I agree about what he said about his system.

And yeah I'm watching Mike and Mike too, funny because I remember reading that article/interview about the guy who coached both Weeden and Geno

Listen right now with a clean slate, Chip has a blank check in my mind to do whatever.

I just don't want any of these QBs at 4. We have so many needs and need an impact defensive player so bad that I rather him wait till the 2nd round for a QB, if he likes one in this draft. Or wait till next year and play this year out with Foles/Vick to see what his offense should look like, what works in the NFL, and what he wants out of his franchise QB.

Eagles I think have the #34 pick. Maybe if Geno is still there in the late 20s we can move back into the first or just sit till the 2nd round for him or EJ.

Saw this yesterday Effzee
Appearing on ESPN's SVP & Russillo radio show, Todd McShay stated that he's "hearing from people" Florida State QB E.J. Manuel could be drafted "as early as the middle of the first round."
McShay only has a late second to early third-round grade on Manuel, but teams are apparently higher on Christian Ponder's Florida State successor. McShay acknowledged that Manuel has "a lot of potential" because he has "a lot of physical tools", but struggles early in games and is "good for a couple of big blunders a game." Manuel is an intriguing case because he possesses read-option skills and is entering an increasingly read-option NFL.

eznark

Banned
he possesses read-option skills and is entering an increasingly read-option NFL.
Amazing that so many teams are going to bank their futures on defensive coordinators not figuring this out.

Eagles GAF, Peters and Graham are both going to be on Eagles Live today at noon. I cant wait to hear what both guys have to say, especially Peters about his rehab.

Haven't you heard of this new-fangled wildcat? The Dolphins are going to have the ultimate weapon in Pat White!
Heh, he's visiting the Giants today. Along with former Eagles DT Mike Patterson and former Redskins RB Tim Hightower.

I suppose the want a scout team read option QB for the defense if they do end up signing him.

eznark

Banned
Haven't you heard of this new-fangled wildcat? The Dolphins are going to have the ultimate weapon in Pat White!

I was going to make the same comparison but frankly it's kind of lazy. The real problem, I think, is that teams are underestimating just how good Wilson, Griffin and to a lesser extent Kaepernick are and how excellent the coaching staffs are that made those systems work (weighted differently in each case: Wilson and Seattle Staff complimented each other, Harbaugh carried Kaep, Griffin carried Washington's staff).

It's not a system you can just slot any QB personnel in and see at least moderate success, like New England.

That's amazing.

I posted this yesterday as a comparison since Nawrocki's scouting report of Cam Newton also sent off a bunch of controversy.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/29/cam-newton-scouting-report

Negatives: Played in a simplified, run-first, dive-option read offense with very basic high-low reads. Worked exclusively out of the gun and was very quick to run at the first flash of coverage. Limited field vision — does not process the passing game. Inconsistent throwing mechanics with a flick delivery — generates all of his power from his upper-body strength and too often arms the ball. Streaky passer with spotty accuracy. Makes his receivers work hard and throws into coverage. Does not spin a tight spiral. Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.

Talon

I was going to make the same comparison but frankly it's kind of lazy. The real problem, I think, is that teams are underestimating just how good Wilson, Griffin and to a lesser extent Kaepernick are and how excellent the coaching staffs are that made those systems work (weighted differently in each case: Wilson and Seattle Staff complimented each other, Harbaugh carried Kaep, Griffin carried Washington's staff).

It's not a system you can just slot any QB personnel in and see at least moderate success, like New England.
No QB succeeds in a vacuum. I know I always jump back on the Favre comparison, but I'll do it again. Favre is not a HoF QB if he stays in Atlanta. That offensive coaching staff did absolute wonders with Favre's talent. Or hell, I know I'm AGod's biggest fanboy here, but I've never seen a bigger jump in a single player's arm strength and release from the college level to the NFL. That much ballyhooed USC game, all of his passes were within 15 yards of the LoS.

The best thing those three quarterbacks do is force the defense on its heels and react to the offense. I do think defenses will find a way to adjust this year, but it's not going to work without the right player or coach.

I.E. Trestman is going to murder Cutler this season.

Funniest Cam moment last year (watch Jordan Gross):
ibdjtoEgZ6zujt.gif

I think saying the Read option/pistol is a gimmick is lazy and naive. I'm not saying everyone has to run it or expect everyone to, but not respecting it as a legimate formation is silly. The NFL is aways changing and coaches should be able to embrace the changes. Its not "the flavor of the month" it's here to stay.
If you don't believe me, believe Based Madden you savages!

Madden: Yeah, I think this is part of the NFL going forward. If you look at it, that's why young quarterbacks can play today. Remember years ago you couldn't play in the NFL and win until you'd been in the league at least five years. That's because pro football was different football. Everything was drop-back pass, three-step, five-step, seven-step, seven-step with a hitch. That took a long time to learn and then ball handling, play-action pass; that's what a pro football quarterback was. That was different from a high school quarterback who was probably running wing-t, and a college quarterback who was probably running some kind of different run offense.

Anyway, the thing is now, everyone is playing the same football. They play the pistol, shotgun, read option in high school, they play it college and they play it in the NFL. So these guys are coming in now, they're rookies, but they're doing the same thing in football that they've been doing for four years of high school, four years of college. They've been doing this for eight or nine years. We're bringing in these young quarterbacks now, we're also bringing in these schemes with them, so I think they're here to stay.

The pistol, I think, is a great thing because it's just a shotgun with the backs behind you so you can still have a running game. I know that that's going to stay. How much running quarterback you use, that'll be the question. Is that here to stay or not? There may be some time when they go after your quarterback and you just say ‘the heck with it.'

eznark

Banned
Yeah, that's the gif I was looking for.Thanks!!

And yes I agree with you about no QB succeeding in a vacuum, but there are also QB's who cannot succeed anywhere. I really think Geno is one of those guys.

I'm not saying everyone has to run it or expect everyone to, but not respecting it as a legimate formation is silly. The NFL is aways changing and coaches should be able to embrace the changes. Its not "the flavor of the month" it's here to stay.

I don't think it's a gimmick in the sense of the Wildcat but I do liken it more to the K-Gun or the run and shoot more than something like Power I or West Coast football. My biggest concern is QB durability. I don't understand why a team would choose to run an offense that exposes their most valuable asset to as much risk as is possible. It's maximizing injury potential, even if the QB never ever actually runs.

Talon

As the biggest heightest in all of sports, I'm dreading the influx of short quarterbacks in this league.

Anyone shorter than 6'1" disgusts me.
I don't think it's a gimmick in the sense of the Wildcat but I do liken it more to the K-Gun or the run and shoot more than something like Power I or West Coast football. My biggest concern is QB durability. I don't understand why a team would choose to run an offense that exposes their most valuable asset to as much risk as is possible. It's maximizing injury potential, even if the QB never ever actually runs.
Now, this, I can get behind.

This is what Wussell does better than any of these guys. He does not expose himself to big hits at all. Luckily, Pete Carroll will ride out Seattle for the next 3-4 years with hilarious clock management and waste Wussell's valuable time.

My lack of caring about Geno Smith can only be topped with my lack of caring about Cameron "Gholston" Jordan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom