• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
flynnandflynner.gif

Your username and the gif is all fantastic Jim Carrey stuff.

Its the difference between new trash (Stanton) versus old trash (Palmer).

In the end what you are going to end up with is garbage, but generally people find the newer stuff to be less repulsive. If you are really hungry (i.e. Cards fan) you can convince yourself that the muffin on yesterdays trash is worth eating. But it becomes harder the older and more rotten the garbage becomes....
Going off of last season, he's more mediocre than trash. Not a franchise guy but perfectly serviceable in a situation like ours where we are hopefully focusing on OL upgrades and will look at QB more seriously next year. It's not like we have high aspirations this year, we are rebuilding the offense and that's a 2 year process if done right.
Welcome to the spin zone. Stop gap, stop gap from what to what exactly? From awful on the way to completely awful?
We were two portions from being a very good team last year: QB and OL. This off season is great for building a OL so a stop gap for the QB position while we get the other half set. If we suck like you guys are saying this season, then we get an early pick to choose from a richer QB pool next year. If Carson surprises, we have more options or at least time to figure out the franchise QB.

Poor Plax:

A circuit court has ordered the auction of Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Plaxico Burress' Virginia Beach home to satisfy liens against the property due a judgment resulting from a 2008 traffic accident in Florida.

Judge H. Thomas Padrick Jr. ordered Monday the property will be sold at auction no more than one week following the fifth advertisement of the sale in the local newspaper, according to court documents emailed to USA TODAY Sports by the lawyer for the plaintiff in the suit.

Barkely and Geno scouting report from Nolan Nawrocki (who I'm honestly not familiar with at all):

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/04/01/barkley-smith-scouting-reports

Has Barkley projected as a first rounder and Geno as a top 50 pick.

Geno's breakdown:

Positives: Has a strong arm and can rifle the ball with good velocity into tight windows. Can throw with accuracy on the move and layer the deep ball. Good overall accuracy, ball placement and touch, especially on the fade route. Throws a very catchable ball — spins it tightly. Good escapability — can sidestep the rush, find an open throwing window and extend plays with his feet when needed. Outstanding straight-line speed — clocked the best 40-yard time (4.56 seconds) and broad jump (10-foot-4) of any quarterback at the Combine. Very durable, experienced, three-year starter — overcame an average offensive line, has never missed any time to injury and will play through pain.

Negatives: Operated an offense where he received adjustments from the sidelines and was often out of sync with receivers. Average field vision and coverage recognition — forces throws and does not work through progressions. Takes unnecessary sacks and does not feel pressure well. Not an elusive scrambler. Shaky lower-body mechanics — does not stand tall in the pocket (crouches, hops, dances and elevates to his toes when he throws). Has pin legs and bad pocket posture. Operated almost exclusively from the gun. Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.

Summary: Started the season red-hot with the help of two playmaking receivers and created a national stir generating a lot of overexcitement in the scouting community. Quickly came down to earth after Kansas State disguised coverages and brought pressure he could not handle and he finished dropping six of his final eight games. A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.
NFL projection: Top-50 pick.

Barkely and Geno scouting report from Nolan Nawrocki (who I'm honestly not familiar with at all):

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/04/01/barkley-smith-scouting-reports

Has Barkley projected as a first rounder and Geno as a top 50 pick.

Geno's breakdown:
Man, after reading that I would not be excited about the possibility of picking up Geno if my team was in the running.

Negatives: Operated an offense where he received adjustments from the sidelines and was often out of sync with receivers. Average field vision and coverage recognition — forces throws and does not work through progressions. Takes unnecessary sacks and does not feel pressure well. Not an elusive scrambler. Shaky lower-body mechanics — does not stand tall in the pocket (crouches, hops, dances and elevates to his toes when he throws). Has pin legs and bad pocket posture. Operated almost exclusively from the gun. Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.
Red flag after red flag. Maybe the right coach could help with some of those issues, though?

bionic77

Going off of last season, he's more mediocre than trash. Not a franchise guy but perfectly serviceable in a situation like ours where we are hopefully focusing on OL upgrades and will look at QB more seriously next year. It's not like we have high aspirations this year, we are rebuilding the offense and that's a 2 year process if done right.

We were two portions from being a very good team last year: QB and OL. This off season is great for building a OL so a stop gap for the QB position while we get the other half set. If we suck like you guys are saying this season, then we get an early pick to choose from a richer QB pool next year. If Carson surprises, we have more options or at least time to figure out the franchise QB.
Still better to suck and figure out if the guys you have are at least worthy of backup status.

Carson just delays everything and might be good enough to fuck you out of the qb you need in the next draft.

There is no exact formula for how to rebuild a franchise into a winner, but getting Palmer just reeks of a move that Oakland or the Jets would make. Not exactly the model you want to be following.

I am more down on Palmer than you seem to be, but then again I have probably seen more games from him than you have. Its been like 8 years since he was good.

Still better to suck and figure out if the guys you have are at least worthy of backup status.

Carson just delays everything and might be good enough to fuck you out of the qb you need in the next draft.

There is no exact formula for how to rebuild a franchise into a winner, but getting Palmer just reeks of a move that Oakland or the Jets would make. Not exactly the model you want to be following.

I am more down on Palmer than you seem to be, but then again I have probably seen more games from him than you have. Its been like 8 years since he was good.

I just don't see us holding on to him so long that it becomes a problem. If he's good enough to screw us out of getting a good prospect, it will be good enough to make us a playoff team if we enhance the OL as I'm hoping. I just hope the D doesn't regress with Horton gone but again, Bowles sounds like he's not fixing what isn't broken so I'm cautiously optimistic on that side of the ball.

cajunator

Banned
Oz was a really fun movie. Some good effects in it and cute moments.
Bad witch is a crazy bitch.

She audits banks for the Treasury Department. Exact same job I have an interview up in Chicago for on thursday.

Here are a few she sent to my phone:

4Pthm70.jpg

hXHWjk4.jpg

zmgkAnn.jpg

DxGcrrA.jpg

Oz1E0aG.jpg

I'm not sure if there are more of these because my wife tends to send all the pictures she takes haha.

Nice pics. Cypress trees and Evangeline Oaks are beautiful. Although I'd still rather have more mountainous terrain instead.

cdyhybrid

Man, after reading that I would not be excited about the possibility of picking up Geno if my team was in the running.

Red flag after red flag. Maybe the right coach could help with some of those issues, though?

Maybe Harbaugh could magically increase the size of his hands like he did with Alex!

Edit:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 21s
The Browns have dealt QB Colt McCoy to the 49ers. Another QB on the move

bionic77

qb controversy in San Fran!

Doesn't Colt have a really hot gf or wife? Harbs might actually make him into a decent qb. I always thought Colt might be decent if he had more talent around him. Probably a good signing. Kap seems so skinny, I can definitely see some injuries in his future.

cdyhybrid

Bomani Jones ‏@bomani_jones 1m
RT @BFeldmanCBS: Not guaranteeing Geno Smith will be great but was around him a lot in college to know he very much IS a student of the game

squicken

lololol Craig Dahl and Colt McCoy. "blah blah blah blah backups"

Shouldn't be in the league. 49ers getting worse

edit: You guys don't remember Nawrocki from his Cam Newton pre-draft evaluation? Said a bunch of stuff that obviously wasn't true

Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable

Here's Nawrocki's assessment of Cam Newton for those interested in comparing to what he said about Geno:

Positives: Very well-built with big deltoids and a strapping physique. Excellent arm strength — can make difficult throws off-balance while on the move and air out the deep ball, hitting receivers in stride 50 yards downfield. Throws with velocity. Composed in pressure situations and found ways to come through in the clutch. Big, strong, physical runner. Pounds defenders and can push a pile — almost always falls forward. Smooth-striding, fluid-moving athlete. Highly competitive and productive against top Southeastern Conference competition — rose to the occasion against Alabama and Oregon on the biggest of stages. Very savvy — confident, charming and charismatic and can light up a room. Highly competitive and plays with passion.

Negatives: Played in a simplified, run-first, dive-option read offense with very basic high-low reads. Worked exclusively out of the gun and was very quick to run at the first flash of coverage. Limited field vision — does not process the passing game. Inconsistent throwing mechanics with a flick delivery — generates all of his power from his upper-body strength and too often arms the ball. Streaky passer with spotty accuracy. Makes his receivers work hard and throws into coverage. Does not spin a tight spiral. Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.

Summary: An extremely talented, dual-threat QB who carried Auburn to a national title, Newton has the arm and athletic talent desired in a rollout, play-action, bootleg vertical passing game and would fit ideally into an offense such as that of the Redskins or Raiders. However, he always will test the rules, be difficult to manage and lacks the intangibles to win the trust of a locker room. Will require a very strong-willed, demanding coach to live up to his potential and avoid the trappings of fame and fortune, but even the greatest taskmaster will not be able to keep away the drama that is still swirling from a stained Heisman Trophy and littered recruiting trail that Newton left in the SEC. Can provide an initial spark, but will quickly be dissected and contained by NFL defensive coordinators, struggle to sustain success and will not prove worthy of an early investment. An overhyped, high-risk, high-reward selection with a glaring bust factor, Newton is sure to be drafted more highly than he should and could foreclose a risk-taking GM's job and taint a locker room.

NFL projection: Top-15 pick.

Wes

venison crêpe
Niners move back 9 spots and give up a 7th for McCoy.... Whatever. Don't like it but in harbs I trust!

I think it makes great sense. When Kaep gets concussed half way through the season who better to turn to next than a QB who knows all about playing after concussions?

jakncoke

Banned
I find it hilarious and annoying when certain fans get excited by every move. This panthers fan i talk to got a boner over all the signings and about to jizz in his pants over possible Hixon singing

That Dumb and Dumber gif is awesome except for the fact that the cap savings is wrong.

It's right, his base next year would've been 6.25 and they're already eating the remaining dead money this year.

Jesus some of you guys are full of hyperbole.

First off, what's laughable about Palmer when you're going into the season with Stanton? If we get him for a reasonable price, it's actually a good way to go for a stop-gap.

Second, he's taking a big reduction in pay to come here, reported about 8 mil with incentives. We have two 6th rounders so I imagine we'll be giving them one of those. Palmer is better than a player drafted that late would be. It puts us in position to not have to reach for a QB (not that we would have anyway) and get something of better quality next year. Unless Palmer decides to be Kurt Warner 2.0 :D
kidding

If you guys can improve your line, I think Palmer will actually be pretty good for you. People forget he didn't have a running game or any decent weapons at WR and was running a Greg Knapp offense.

He is of course a known whiner and quitter and will probably throw a tantrum and demand to be traded if you guys don't make the playoffs this year.

I find it hilarious and annoying when certain fans get excited by every move. This panthers fan i talk to got a boner over all the signings and about to jizz in his pants over possible Hixon singing

I heard the Browns were interested in Hixon too. He's only a meh level receiver, but it's still a position we're weak at, so whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom