• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 Joeckel

7 Fisher to Cards
8 Cooper to Bills

10 Warmack to Titans
11 Johnson To Chargers
12 Fluker to Miami

He can go to the chargers...at 6. Mwahaha.
I really want that 2nd rounder back :(

It's taken 2 months, but today is the first time I actually miss football this year :-(

lonely-football.preview.jpg

I think it misses you too.

1 Joeckel

7 Fisher to Cards
8 Cooper to Bills

10 Warmack to Titans
11 Johnson To Chargers
12 Fluker to Miami

Was hoping for a trade down possibility for someone to snag Fisher, but not seeing it.

Hmm maybe someone will hop the Eagles for Geno. Doubtful though. Well that's assuming the top 10 goes as predicted which is doubtful as well.

Also still hoping we take Star over Floyd if we do pick at 3.

squicken

Was hoping for a trade down possibility for someone to snag Fisher, but not seeing it.

Hmm maybe someone will hop the Eagles for Geno. Doubtful though. Well that's assuming the top 10 goes as predicted which is doubtful as well.

Also still hoping we take Star over Floyd if we do pick at 3.

I think it will come down to a team getting desperate for Lane Johnson, and it just seems like CLE is in the spot to trade down. But if KC takes Joeckel or Fisher, and someone isn't in love with Johnson, it could happen.

Chase Stuart from Football Perspective has come up with a new trade value chart, that values top choices much less than the old Jimmy Johnson chart did, using the historical career performance of the players taken in those spots. If teams adjust their expectations, there should be more trades. But it's all about perception. GMs don't want to look like they are getting fleeced, even if they are really getting good value

http://www.footballperspective.com/yet-another-draft-value-chart/

According to this, the third pick is worth 18.4 points. Let's say you want to trade with SD at 11. That pick is worth 12.9 points. Would you be happy trading down to 11 and getting SD's 3rd and 6th?

I'm certainly not saying this new chart is somehow the end all be all, but I think it's better than JJ's old chart

I think it will come down to a team getting desperate for Lane Johnson, and it just seems like CLE is in the spot to trade down. But if KC takes Joeckel or Fisher, and someone isn't in love with Johnson, it could happen.

Chase Stuart from Football Perspective has come up with a new trade value chart, that values top choices much less than the old Jimmy Johnson chart did, using the historical career performance of the players taken in those spots. If teams adjust their expectations, there should be more trades. But it's all about perception. GMs don't want to look like they are getting fleeced, even if they are really getting good value

http://www.footballperspective.com/yet-another-draft-value-chart/

According to this, the third pick is worth 18.4 points. Let's say you want to trade with SD at 11. That pick is worth 12.9 points. Would you be happy trading down to 11 and getting SD's 3rd and 6th?

I'm certainly not saying this new chart is somehow the end all be all, but I think it's better than JJ's old chart

Yeah I don't think Reggie is going to be asking for a lot of compensation, probably a 3rd depending on who/if he is able to trade. Best case scenario for me would be trading down and still landing Star while picking up a extra 3rd rounder. I know we aren't gonna get a 2nd.

squicken

Yeah I don't think Reggie is going to be asking for a lot of compensation, probably a 3rd depending on who/if he is able to trade. Best case scenario for me would be trading down and still landing Star while picking up a extra 3rd rounder. I know we aren't gonna get a 2nd.

Yeah that's the thing. People seem to think they can drop 5 or six slots and get a second. Browns fans seem to be setting themselves up for disappointment if they can't get back their missing 2nd

Wait, if I'm reading this correctly, trading down from 3 to 11 and you don't think you'd get a 2nd? That'd madness.

Although, I suppose Butch Davis ruined it for everybody when he traded a 2 to go from 7 to 6 to just get Winslow.

Yeah that's the thing. People seem to think they can drop 5 or six slots and get a second. Browns fans seem to be setting themselves up for disappointment if they can't get back their missing 2nd

Value is subjective. You can have a chart all you want, but as my Butch example goes, we could ask for whatever price we want if they're desperate enough. I can see it happening easily, I'm not going to 'count' on it though.

Of course, if Oakland hates the 3 spot, then they could ruin things by asking for pennies.

squicken

Value is subjective. You can have a chart all you want, but as my Butch example goes, we could ask for whatever price we want if they're desperate enough. I can see it happening easily, I'm not going to 'count' on it though.

Of course, if Oakland hates the 3 spot, then they could ruin things may asking for pennies.

Absolutely. It's like the Rams last year. When the player is RG3, the chart goes out the window. But when you are talking later in the first, it's nice to have a reference. Like if STL moved from 22 to 36, that chart says the value the Eagles give up is a 4th. Sure doesn't seem like much from what we've seen traditionally

Lions update:

@caplannfl: Veteran K Jason Hanson is retiring, according to the #Lions official website.

Giants preseason schedule:

Week 1 at Pittsburgh
Week 2 vs. Colts (nationally televised game, 8/18 at 8PM ET)
Week 3 vs. Jets (Giants are the home team)
Week 4 at New England

effzee

Lions update:

I wonder if the addition of Reggie Bush will be able to off set this loss.

Maybe they should sign TO just to be sure. Don't want to mess that SB run up.

In sad news Ebert passed away. Not always agreed with him but I felt like he was able to defend his views really well without coming across as some too good for movies elitist critic half of GAF even pretends to be.

WedgeX

Banned
Lions update:

We've had some good times.

ibrrw5gvw24kuZ.jpg

Some bad.

iy6SmLi025SY9.jpg

Some weird times.

ibj6V7loalweDA.png

And nearly all clutch despite being surrounded by mediocrity.

bildeNewTbl1SiteC4Date20110918CategorySPORTS01ArtNo109180803RefPHProfile1318Item30Maxw620Maxh465q60.jpg

He retires holding these records:

• Most field goals of 40 or more yards (total) - 189
  • Most consecutive field goals of 40 or more yards (total) - 24 (2007-2009)
  • Most field goals of 50 or more yards (total) - 51.[8]
  • Became the second player in league history (after Jason Elam) to score 200+ points against 3 different teams (division rivals Packers, Bears, and Vikings).
  • Most career games with one NFL team (327 as of December 31, 2012).
  • Most career seasons with one NFL team (21).
  • On December 18, 2011, became the first player in NFL history to score 2,000 points with one franchise.
  • Most career game winning field goals in overtime - 9 - tied with Jason Elam, Jim Breech, and Steve Christie

squicken

What I noticed from preseason last year was that teams played their starters at home, disregarding typical Week 3 rule. Except for Week 4, which is the worst game to have at home

jakncoke

Banned
Last player from 1992 draft retired, next to last was Brad Johnson in 2008. I had a list of people that started before I started watching football, but its super lost in all the NFL age threads/posts

Striker

What I noticed from preseason last year was that teams played their starters at home, disregarding typical Week 3 rule. Except for Week 4, which is the worst game to have at home
Often times doesn't matter, at least for the east coast teams. Giants playing teams like the Ravens, Jets, Patriots, and Panthers was frequent, and were all close by.

Get Steelers, Colts, Jets, and Patriots this year. Traveling to PIT and NE.

Wait, if I'm reading this correctly, trading down from 3 to 11 and you don't think you'd get a 2nd? That'd madness.

Although, I suppose Butch Davis ruined it for everybody when he traded a 2 to go from 7 to 6 to just get Winslow.

Of course, if Oakland hates the 3 spot, then they could ruin things by asking for pennies.

Just the way it is in this draft, not a lot of incentive to trade up. I don't think we'll be trading with SD though, don't want to help them out and vice versa.

Akers recently visited the Lions if memory serves. Lawrence Tynes is also out there. The Giants aren't brining him back as they've moved on with the signing of Josh Brown.

ChanHuk

Banned
I'll take the Chargers 11th overall, their 3rd and next year's 4th for the Raiders 3rd overall. One guy isn't going to make this team.

cashman

Banned
How do NFL contracts work? No way Romo plays through his entire contract right? He's gonna get cut in like 3-4 years right guys? guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom