• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| Mock draft Central sponsored by the Shirtless League

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
HK1DFy4.jpg

The choice of Steelers Nation apparently.

gutshot

yeah, its funny to watch EVERYONE on gaf squeem about spoilers all of a sudden. when for the past few years i've been here, no one gave a shit.

I dunno. There's always been spoiler anxiety swirling around GoT for as long as I've been on here. Usually it stemmed from the non-readers fretting over book readers spoiling them but now everyone is getting spoiled.

eznark

Banned
yeah, its funny to watch EVERYONE on gaf squeem about spoilers all of a sudden. when for the past few years i've been here, no one gave a shit.

Some clown lost his mind last year because I "spoiled" book 3 of The Wheel of Time.

It came out 24 years ago.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The field is named after a ketchup company.

But that doesn't mean that we all put ketchup on our rice and hotdogs like some goddamn savages out of New England.

Are they going to rename the stadium to Kraft Field after this season? They should put up a giant banner of Robert Kraft.

Some clown lost his mind last year because I "spoiled" book 3 of The Wheel of Time.

I think the last book I read in the series was Knife of Dreams. Is it even worth finishing? I started reading them in like 1997 and I got sick of basically having to reread the series in order to remember what was going on every two or three years before a new book came out.

eznark

Banned
I think the last book I read in the series was Knife of Dreams. Is it even worth finishing? I started reading them in like 1997 and I got sick of basically having to reread the series in order to remember what was going on every two or three years before a new book came out.

I listened to them all on Audible back to back. Yeah, I thought it was surprisingly awesome. Miles better than GoT. The Sanderson books are excellent.

I listened to them all on Audible back to back. Yeah, I thought it was surprisingly awesome. Miles better than GoT. The Sanderson books are excellent.

I guess I'll have to dig them out of whatever storage they are in and plod through them again. I probably don't necessarily need to because I have a better than average memory, but a refresher would be very helpful. It is very unsatisfying not knowing how it all ends, considering I spent like 500+ hours of my life reading those books. I think I have read the first half of the series five times.

bionic77

Are they going to rename the stadium to Kraft Field after this season? They should put up a giant banner of Robert Kraft.
It is already unofficially known as the home of the cheating cunts, but uptight Goodell and his cronies won't allow the Pats to change the name.

I agree with you on this but are in the minority on this. Most people think the GoT is a masterpiece because of all of the surprises and the explicit language and other shit that seems to appeals to nerds. I will always give it to WoT because at least the author knew what he was doing. We are what like 5 books into GoT and no one really knows what the fuck he is doing with the story or even who the protagonist and antagonist are. That to me is shitty ass writing, though any will disagree with me.

That said the WoT books do bog down a lot around Knife of Dreams. But the ending is worth it.

My favorite was when they were banning people in GOT threads for saying they read the books.

Literally banning when they didn't say anything about the plot or future story lines. Just that they read the books. It was asinine.

My favorite was when they were banning people in GOT threads for saying they read the books.

Literally banning when they didn't say anything about the plot or future story lines. Just that they read the books. It was asinine.

There are two GoT threads one for people who have never read the book and one for those that have. If you said you read the book and you're posting in the non book thread of course you're getting banned.

It's going on right now...i saw like 3 people today already.

Damn that new Dissidia Final Fantasy looks dope as fuck. Looks to be awhile before it comes here though it seems

There are two GoT threads one for people who have never read the book and one for those that have. If you said you read the book and you're posting in the non book thread of course you're getting banned.

It's going on right now...i saw like 3 people today already.
That still seems petty though

The worst people on neogaf are "media blackout" people.

The day where I have to tiptoe around stuff openly displayed in trailers or releases is the day I stop posting about any kind of media.

MechDX

Report: Jets Prepared To Move On From Geno Smith, Considering Trade Up For Marcus Mariota http://t.co/jCkxZIgZc6
#NFL

I am not a big watcher of college football but I don't get all the desire for Mariota or Winston this year. Am I just missing something ?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Report: Jets Prepared To Move On From Geno Smith, Considering Trade Up For Marcus Mariota http://t.co/jCkxZIgZc6
#NFL

I am not a big watcher of college football but I don't get all the desire for Mariota or Winston this year. Am I just missing something ?

There's a real lack of new and upcoming young quarterbacks in the league right now so they probably figure one of these guys has to pay off eventually.

#NFL

In simple terms everyone needs a QB to compete and these guys are the two best in the class. That is reason enough for teams to get excited and take a chance.

In terms of actual skill it's hard to say how well these guys will translate to the NFL but they are both quite talented in different ways.

Fox318

#NFL

It speaks more to how bad Geno is than Mariota.

Geno was late to meetings and wasn't really great in the huddle.

He couldn't handle the NY media and towards the end the fanbase would have rather kept the coach over him.

gutshot

It is already unofficially known as the home of the cheating cunts, but uptight Goodell and his cronies won't allow the Pats to change the name.

I agree with you on this but are in the minority on this. Most people think the GoT is a masterpiece because of all of the surprises and the explicit language and other shit that seems to appeals to nerds. I will always give it to WoT because at least the author knew what he was doing. We are what like 5 books into GoT and no one really knows what the fuck he is doing with the story or even who the protagonist and antagonist are. That to me is shitty ass writing, though any will disagree with me.

That said the WoT books do bog down a lot around Knife of Dreams. But the ending is worth it.

Jordan knew what he was doing even less than GRRM does at this point. At least GRRM has plans to end this series at 7 books and seems to be doing his best at drawing things to a close. Jordan was 11 books deep before he died and someone else had to finish the story for him.

MechDX

I just don't get that "Transcends the game" feeling for Mariota or Winston. That feeling you get when you watch Manning, Brady, Ben, Rodgers etc..... The only QB I get that feeling with now is Luck.

As good as Wilson is I don't get that feeling when watching him either. Maybe it is just me.

eznark

Banned
I just don't get that "Transcends the game" feeling for Mariota or Winston. That feeling you get when you watch Manning, Brady, Ben, Rodgers etc..... The only QB I get that feeling with now is Luck.

As good as Wilson is I don't get that feeling when watching him either. Maybe it is just me.

Well you don't have to pay them "transcends the game" money so who cares?

eznark

Banned
joke is on them because the book was read to you!

I read the first four or whatever (prior to DwD) while driving out to yosemite on a Nook! Before the ipad even existed! Before I had ever tried audible. What a world that was.....

Fox318

Even if you come into the non book thread without the intent of spoiling you might by the way you word something. You're not spoiling out right but you may hint or lead on certain upcoming events.

That's why there are two threads, people can still discuss the show in the book thread. That thread isn't exclusive to talking about the books only it's just a place where people who have read the book talk about the books or show.

In the non book thread it's strictly the show obviously. And there's always that one guy that goes "i think xxx is going to happen" then it plays out exactly like he says. Then you check his post history and you see he post in the book thread..... gg.

MechDX

Well you don't have to pay them "transcends the game" money so who cares?

Yeah I get all that. Just seems like teams are tripping over themselves to reach for first round QB's that are not that far ahead of Bryce Petty and Brent Hundley.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Somebody flipped on me just this weekend, because we were discussing the movie Seven and I talked about the ending... FLIPPED out about it lol.

bionic77

Jordan knew what he was doing even less than GRRM does at this point. At least GRRM has plans to end this series at 7 books and seems to be doing his best at drawing things to a close. Jordan was 11 books deep before he died and someone else had to finish the story for him.
It was pretty obvious from book one what the ending of the WoT was going to be so I am going to have to disagree with you there (not that I knew how it was going to happen, but the end result was obvious).

Jordan just went a little overboard in details on some of the shittier characters like Perrin, Faile, Egwene, etc.

Most of the people in GoT from the first 3 books are dead. It doesn't really seem to advance the plot very much other than just cheap surprises, which is what his books seem to be about. If I had to guess he is just setting things up for making the world shittier and shittier and than Dany and her dragons are going to come back and save the day from the evil ice people (who will capitalize and try to icefuck everyone and take advantage of the chaos). Just a guess but for me the books peaked at the Red Wedding and I have cared less and less the more I read after that.

eznark

Banned
Even if you come into the non book thread without the intent of spoiling you might by the way you word something. You're not spoiling out right but you may hint or lead on certain upcoming events.

That's why there are two threads, people can still discuss the show in the book thread. That thread isn't exclusive to talking about the books only it's just a place where people who have read the book talk about the books or show.

In the non book thread it's strictly the show obviously. And there's always that one guy that goes "i think xxx is going to happen" then it plays out exactly like he says. Then you check his post history and you see he post in the book thread..... gg.

I don't think you take this stuff seriously enough.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Wilson isn't that great but he can extend plays and he won a Super Bowl so he'll get paid handsomely.

However, 3 out of the 4 examples you mentioned probably didn't give draft pundits that feeling either.

dionysus

Yaldog
It was pretty obvious from book one what the ending of the WoT was going to be so I am going to have to disagree with you there (not that I knew how it was going to happen, but the end result was obvious).

Jordan just went a little overboard in details on some of the shittier characters like Perrin, Faile, Egwene, etc.

Most of the people in GoT from the first 3 books are dead. It doesn't really seem to advance the plot very much other than just cheap surprises, which is what his books seem to be about. If I had to guess he is just setting things up for making the world shittier and shittier and than Dany and her dragons are going to come back and save the day from the evil ice people (who will capitalize and try to icefuck everyone and take advantage of the chaos). Just a guess but for me the books peaked at the Red Wedding and I have cared less and less the more I read after that.

I agree with everything in this post. I realized this 1.5 books into GoT.

Yeah I get all that. Just seems like teams are tripping over themselves to reach for first round QB's that are not that far ahead of Bryce Petty and Brent Hundley.
It's similar to the situation the Texans were in last offseason. I know hindsight is 20/20 so I'm not going to slam them too hard for taking Clowney. That said, this is a QB driven league and the Bucs know they aren't going anywhere anytime soon without a solid QB. You can either take a chance on a guy with a few red flags but a very high ceiling or draft another position and revel in mediocrity for another year.

Another way I look at it is you aren't going to get many chances to take the #1 QB prospect in a draft class. You can generally draft a great player at any other position anywhere in the first round but with QB the best will almost always go at the top (unless it's a really weak QB draft). If your team sucked enough to get the #1 overall pick you'd better use it on the #1 most important position.

If I was a Bucs fan I would want them to take Winston.

gutshot

GRRM has always said he knows how the story will end but didn't know exactly how all the characters would arrive at that end point. So he is doing much what Jordan did and not perhaps not too surprisingly has gotten bogged down with details as well. Still he has managed to do it in less books despite having even more "main" characters.

I do agree with you though that the books peaked at the Red Wedding. Hoping the TV show can fix a lot of Martin's mistakes in these latest two books.

Top Bottom