• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| Mock draft Central sponsored by the Shirtless League

What is IRG 3's newest self promoted motto for this season?

tumblr_inline_nn8r3p8Cm81r580lk_500.gif

While I was pretty irritated to see two of the top pass rushers go just before our pick, last night went pretty damn well. Keim has completely revamped our OL transforming it from the biggest joke in the league to quite possibly a top ten line this year. Cards fans have screamed to the heavens for a OL rebuild and we finally got a competent GM to do it. Massie is on the last year of his contract and after all the sacks he allowed last year including the plays that injured our QBs, no way we were re-upping him which made OT a big need. Humphries will be a huge upgrade over him anyway and could be a pro-bowl LT in time but will play on the right side for us. He provides awesome depth for the left side if anything ever happened to Veldheer as well. Between Veldheer, Cooper, Iuapti and now Humphries, what a revamp! This will be HUGE for fixing our run game and we will not be 31st in rushing this year! We still need to grab a bruiser back to compliment Elly but with the line upgrades, it doesn't have to be a huge stud. It's also clear now that Gregory has huge issues besides pot and every team seems to know about it.

As a fantastic bonus, both STL and SF botched their pick! Why in the sam hell would STL grab a back with zero line to block for him? I'm sure that'll work out great! Especially in our division! Prepare to be stuffed, Gurley! The poor kid is probably going to be injury prone coming off the tear and having no protection. My condolences FMT on Armstead, your fear became reality.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I guess it's worth mentioning even though our organization is ran by liars, but the Dorsett pick wasn't at all out of fear of losing TY to contract issues next season (although his new agent won't make things easy). They probably did just take the best player available. This draft class doesn't seem all that.

That's kind of funny. Lol.

We should've taken that DT :'(

This is the all in year though so you'd think they would have gone with an obvious run stuffer to shore up their glaring weakness.

eznark

Banned
While I was pretty irritated to see two of the top pass rushers go just before our pick, last night went pretty damn well. Keim has completely revamped our OL transforming it from the biggest joke in the league to quite possibly a top ten line this year. Cards fans have screamed to the heavens for a OL rebuild and we finally got a competent GM to do it. Massie is on the last year of his contract and after all the sacks he allowed last year including the plays that injured our QBs, no way we were re-upping him which made OT a big need. Humphries will be a huge upgrade over him anyway and could be a pro-bowl LT in time but will play on the right side for us. He provides awesome depth for the left side if anything ever happened to Veldheer as well. Between Veldheer, Cooper, Iuapti and now Humphries, what a revamp! This will be HUGE for fixing our run game and we will not be 31st in rushing this year! We still need to grab a bruiser back to compliment Elly but with the line upgrades, it doesn't have to be a huge stud. It's also clear now that Gregory has huge issues besides pot and every team seems to know about it.

As a fantastic bonus, both STL and SF botched their pick! Why in the sam hell would STL grab a back with zero line to block for him? I'm sure that'll work out great! Especially in our division! Prepare to be stuffed, Gurley! The poor kid is probably going to be injury prone coming off the tear and having no protection. My condolences FMT on Armstead, your fear became reality.

Oh great Carnac, how does Randall's career turn out?

Doomsayer

Can you tell me next weeks lotto numbers with that crystal ball you have? Come on, man.

Arik is a project, for sure but with Justin Smith not retiring (pls don't go) yet he has a year to learn the ropes. Our Dline is still pretty talent and we have a lot of picks invested in it. Not worried in the slightest. If we can snag a WR and ILB in the next two rounds I'll be happy. Then we can work on Oline and DB depth.

slabrock

Banned
Feeling pretty good about Tomlinson and a backup plus two fifth round picks. Not as exciting as past high number picks but he sure seems like a great fit.
Yep. Got a starter at RG and a backup for C/G when they had no one for that. Now they don't have to resign Sims. Just got to figure out if Waddle is the one for RT.

Oh great Carnac, how does Randall's career turn out?
MCL tear within 5 weeks of the season.

Seriously though, what the hell would there be to discuss at this point if we adhered to the fact that it's a crap shoot and we have no idea who will actually be good or bad outside of maybe a couple players?

effzee

I really like Nelson Algohor and he is going to step right in fill the shoes of Maclin. Comparisons I have seen are Reggie Wayne and Maclin. Not bad not bad at all. Cris Collinsworth loves the pick and of course he was projected to go as high as the Texans pick.

My issue really isn't with him but rather that in a WR rich draft with the #2-#3 CB on the board plus the #1 ranked cover safety still on the board, why take him there? This is as rich, if not deeper, of a WR class as last year. There are still some WR prospects to go in rounds 2-3 who in other years would be first round talent.

Eagles biggest needs are on D and then on the D at CB/S. They addressed one corner spot with Maxwell from Seattle. The other spot is sort of in the air. Boykin is a great nickel corner who everyone thinks can start but Chip has his size requirements which he doesn't fit to start on the outside. Walter Thurmond is another nickel back who doesn't remain healthy. We have some depth here but they are all depth CBs. Byron Jones or J. Collins start day 1 (esp since they don’t like Boykin as the starter) and should have been the pick. The fact that Dallas got Jones is even worse.

Maybe they can still make a run at Collins since he is available for round 2 but most likely he won’t last till pick 52. They will have to move up. Or if they don’t they better hope Eric Rowe is there at 52. Could be our starting safety week 1.

This was a weak safety class but Eagles still need someone to start opposite Jenkins. Last off season they passed on a great safety FA class and took Jenkins. He has played better than expected but still is nothing to write home about. This off season they struck out when Devon McCourty took less money to stay with NE. Now in the draft the best cover Safety is gone (Damarious Randall to GB). What do the Eagles do now? Who are the best safeties, not named Landon Collins, left on the board? I don’t watch College football much so any guys Eagles fans should be on the lookout for? I don’t like the kid from Penn St but watch him be the guy since they love his versatility as a cb/s. Or is it just Eric Rowe from here out?

I would have taken Randall or Jones at 20 and then waited until the 2nd round for best available WR. Maybe Indy takes Algohor with their #1 pick and Eagles would have been able to take Dorsett in round 2.

Biggest needs going forward remain the same: Safety and OL

Giants beat writers including the big names are saying Scherff was indeed the top OL on the Giants board. Ross mentioned yesterday they didn't think he'd be there by 9 but didn't expect him to go at 5, either.

"Sources" also saying that if Flowers wasn't there, they would have taken Danny Shelton as he was next best player they had after Flowers. Trae Wayne's was also up there.

Take that for what you will as some of it is likely post draft nonsense.

@NYPost_Schwartz: Giants had Brandon Scherff as their top-rated OL. Ereck Flowers was No, 2, ahead of Andrus Peat and La'el Collins.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The first page alone (assuming 100ppp) had 4 different guys banned. 2 more if you go another page or so. Pretty sure I saw a few other names banned in the last few pages.

You want to see a lot of banned people? Go look at the first couple of pages of this thread!

I hope we look at defensive line in the second. I wouldn't be opposed to a DB like Rowe who can play in the slot.

I want fuck all to do with Landon Collins which some Giants fans seem to want to take. We have candidates at SS already.

Colasante

Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis, and Shaq Thompson or Jerod Mayo, Dont'a Hightower, and Jamie Collins? Tough question, though I guess you'd have to give the edge to Carolina.

Draxal

Giants beat writers including the big names are saying Scherff was indeed the top OL on the Giants board. Ross mentioned yesterday they didn't think he'd be there by 9 but didn't expect him to go at 5, either.

"Sources" also saying that if Flowers wasn't there, they would have taken Danny Shelton as he was next best player they had after Flowers. Trae Wayne's was also up there.

Take that for what you will as some of it is likely post draft nonsense.

I believe all of this. I'm not sure Peat's game is good for RT.

Draxal

Makes me feel better about our Shelton pick. We weren't far off. We should have gone with Sherff as he would have been our pick in our mock. :)

A BBI insider was dead set on Shelton being the pick after Sherff/Williams went, so I was kinda surprised he wasn't.

Farooq

Banned
For the Cowboys, I hope they stay put and draft BPA. Have team needs everywhere, just want the best prospect...

I wonder when that run on RBs will start. Abdullah, Coleman, Duke Johnson, and maybe even Yeldon. Ajayi's knee had question marks, curious to see where he goes.

I really like Nelson Algohor and he is going to step right in fill the shoes of Maclin. Comparisons I have seen are Reggie Wayne and Maclin. Not bad not bad at all. Cris Collinsworth loves the pick and of course he was projected to go as high as the Texans pick.

My issue really isn't with him but rather that in a WR rich draft with the #2-#3 CB on the board plus the #1 ranked cover safety still on the board, why take him there? This is as rich, if not deeper, of a WR class as last year. There are still some WR prospects to go in rounds 2-3 who in other years would be first round talent.

Eagles biggest needs are on D and then on the D at CB/S. They addressed one corner spot with Maxwell from Seattle. The other spot is sort of in the air. Boykin is a great nickel corner who everyone thinks can start but Chip has his size requirements which he doesn't fit to start on the outside. Walter Thurmond is another nickel back who doesn't remain healthy. We have some depth here but they are all depth CBs. Byron Jones or J. Collins start day 1 (esp since they don’t like Boykin as the starter) and should have been the pick. The fact that Dallas got Jones is even worse.

Maybe they can still make a run at Collins since he is available for round 2 but most likely he won’t last till pick 52. They will have to move up. Or if they don’t they better hope Eric Rowe is there at 52. Could be our starting safety week 1.

This was a weak safety class but Eagles still need someone to start opposite Jenkins. Last off season they passed on a great safety FA class and took Jenkins. He has played better than expected but still is nothing to write home about. This off season they struck out when Devon McCourty took less money to stay with NE. Now in the draft the best cover Safety is gone (Damarious Randall to GB). What do the Eagles do now? Who are the best safeties, not named Landon Collins, left on the board? I don’t watch College football much so any guys Eagles fans should be on the lookout for? I don’t like the kid from Penn St but watch him be the guy since they love his versatility as a cb/s. Or is it just Eric Rowe from here out?

I would have taken Randall or Jones at 20 and then waited until the 2nd round for best available WR. Maybe Indy takes Algohor with their #1 pick and Eagles would have been able to take Dorsett in round 2.

Biggest needs going forward remain the same: Safety and OL

I don't think the safeties in this draft are strong enough to prioritize. I'd rather have a CB or OL. I liked the Algohor pick and have been saying I think they should go WR for a while now. I think giving Earl Wolff, Ed Reynolds, or Jerome Couplin a shot at safety is as good as anything in the draft because it's so weak at the position.

Top Bottom