• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| Mock draft Central sponsored by the Shirtless League

ampere

#MalcolmMonday

AOSNypA.gif

Such a good play on the ball. Just like he practiced.

Fox318

I seriously wish Neogaf would ban Review threads.

If somebody likes or dislikes a game that is his/her opinion. Its not like how it was so many years ago where one publisher or review team had so much sway where it mattered.

I seriously wish Neogaf would ban Review threads.

If somebody likes or dislikes a game that is his/her opinion. Its not like how it was so many years ago where one publisher or review team had so much sway where it mattered.

I don't mind them but at least wait until the game is out. Having multiple page discussions on the validity of a review score before anyone in the thread has had the chance to play the game is pretty absurd.

Haha, we've been down this road before! I like Metacritic as a way to gauge overall critical opinion of a game. It is dumb and arbitrary in some ways (like the way the weighted average is calculated) but I find it somewhat useful as a guy who tends to be fairly frugal with game purchases. It's by no means the end all be all for me but it has its place.

Like it or not most games you enjoy get good to great reviews. There is probably a correlation there. ;)

Like it or not most games you enjoy get good to great reviews.
When you're working on a 3 point scale (as a vast majority of websites do), its kind of hard for that to not be the case.

I like what Eurogamer (and other sites) have done in getting rid of review scores. The industry in general would do well to follow suit. It's been a caveat of mine for years. The same for "in progress" reviews. I dig those. Better to admit you can't beat a game in three days or intelligently speak about a multiplayer mode when its not even live then rush to copy to get the hits.

There was a time when I contemplated writing reviews and had a website up for a few months doing just that (with no scores attached) but I just stopped caring because people love arguing the difference between x number over y number.

Aside from that, I don't depend on review scores to make purchases. I generally try out as much as I can that's out there either via sales, outright buying or borrowing from friends. If I buy something I don't like, I don't spend my time trying to justify that purchase on a forum. If it sucks, it sucks. It gets sold off and I move on.

jbug617

Banned
Schefter says Ray Farmer to be suspended but they will not lose a draft pick. Falcons will lose a draft pick and McKay will be suspended from the competition committee

bionic77

Haha, we've been down this road before! I like Metacritic as a way to gauge overall critical opinion of a game. It is dumb and arbitrary in some ways (like the way the weighted average is calculated) but I find it somewhat useful as a guy who tends to be fairly frugal with game purchases. It's by no means the end all be all for me but it has its place.

Like it or not most games you enjoy get good to great reviews. There is probably a correlation there. ;)
That is true and there is nothing wrong with saying that. The problem is when idiots try and use the review scores to justify their viewpoint.

We have a lot of Gatas who are trying to "win" arguments about which game is better. The only 2 objective things they can rely on for those arguments are review scores and sales. The truth is that most GAFers (especially on gaming side) are too dumb to actually properly explain the mechanics of a game and what they like about it (and to be fair, there are a lot of professionals who also have difficulty doing this).

It all boils down to system wars. Which is a very popular sport for the insecure and mentally challenged.

IRL you would never want to spend more than 5 seconds with some neckbeard who wanted to have an hour long argument about review scores for movies. Either the movie sucked, it was entertaining, or it was amazing. On top of that you can discuss what you think the movie was about or how fantastic someone looked naked (or with clothes) in it. Sadly we are not yet at that place for games because of system wars. One day (soon I predict) we are going to have a unified platform with relatively cheap hardware that will end this stupidity.

That is true and there is nothing wrong with saying that. The problem is when idiots try and use the review scores to justify their viewpoint.

We have a lot of Gatas who are trying to "win" arguments about which game is better. The only 2 objective things they can rely on for those arguments are review scores and sales. The truth is that most GAFers (especially on gaming side) are too dumb to actually properly explain the mechanics of a game and what they like about it (and to be fair, there are a lot of professionals who also have difficulty doing this).

It all boils down to system wars. Which is a very popular sport for the insecure and mentally challenged.

IRL you would never want to spend more than 5 seconds with some neckbeard who wanted to have an hour long argument about review scores for movies. Either the movie sucked, it was entertaining, or it was amazing. On top of that you can discuss what you think the movie was about or how fantastic someone looked naked (or with clothes) in it. Sadly we are not yet at that place for games because of system wars. One day (soon I predict) we are going to have a unified platform with relatively cheap hardware that will end this stupidity.
I agree. I use reviews as a factor to help me with purchasing decisions, not to argue that one game is better than another. There is no such thing as an "objective" opinion or a game being objectively better than another. Anyone who tells you otherwise needs to spend a few minutes with a dictionary.

Movie reviews are a lot less useful to me. Movies are pretty cheap and not a big time commitment so I don't need to think as much about whether or not to see them. I can usually make that judgment based on a trailer or two.

eznark

Banned
Raji coming home. Hopefully using two roster spots on DL in a 3-4 defense in one day is the nail in Kuhn's return chances.

bionic77

I agree. I use reviews as a factor to help me with purchasing decisions, not to argue that one game is better than another. There is no such thing as an "objective" opinion or a game being objectively better than another. Anyone who tells you otherwise needs to spend a few minutes with a dictionary.

Movie reviews are a lot less useful to me. Movies are pretty cheap and not a big time commitment so I don't need to think as much about whether or not to see them. I can usually make that judgment based on a trailer or two.
I don't remember the last time I went to a real gaming site for news or reviews. I value GAFers opinions (especially from sports threads) more than anything else.

If someone here says it is cool then I check out some screen shots and maybe some video, but usually on their advise I will buy the game. And this works almost all the time. Most of us (Pats fans definitely not included) have pretty decent taste in games and movies. Honestly once you have played games long enough

And if for some reason I wanted to buy something horrible I could always ask Gata or his alt. Even they have some kind of purpose. Not a good one but still a purpose.

zychi

Banned
I don't remember the last time I went to a real gaming site for news or reviews. I value GAFers opinions (especially from sports threads) more than anything else.

If someone here says it is cool then I check out some screen shots and maybe some video, but usually on their advise I will buy the game. And this works almost all the time. Most of us (Pats fans definitely not included) have pretty decent taste in games and movies. Honestly once you have played games long enough

And if for some reason I wanted to buy something horrible I could always ask Gata or his alt. Even they have some kind of purpose. Not a good one but still a purpose.

The extent of my review searching is a youtube video of gameplay. There's usually certain series I will buy if the game looks fun.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 2m2 minutes ago

#Browns have been fined $250,000 or Text-gate and Ray Farmer has been suspended without pay for first four games of season.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Schefter says Ray Farmer to be suspended but they will not lose a draft pick. Falcons will lose a draft pick and McKay will be suspended from the competition committee

Hey some good news for once!

So...anyone taking bets for when we'll find out something terrible will happen for the Browns?

As we all know any good news is usually quickly followed up by something terrible.

Top Bottom