• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| Mock draft Central sponsored by the Shirtless League

rando14

Is there a tie between brain trauma and Parkinsons? I wasn't aware there was. I don't think this really explains it because there's got to be just as much brain trauma in UFC/MMA as in boxing and it is exploding in popularity.

Clinically, CTE is associated with memory disturbances, behavioral and personality changes, parkinsonism, and speech and gait abnormalities. Neuropathologically, CTE is characterized by atrophy of the cerebral hemispheres, medial temporal lobe, thalamus, mammillary bodies, and brainstem, with ventricular dilatation and a fenestrated cavum septum pellucidum. Microscopically, there are extensive tau-immunoreactive neurofibrillary tangles, astrocytic tangles, and spindle-shaped and threadlike neurites throughout the brain. The neurofibrillary degeneration of CTE is distinguished from other tauopathies by preferential involvement of the superficial cortical layers, irregular patchy distribution in the frontal and temporal cortices, propensity for sulcal depths, prominent perivascular, periventricular, and subpial distribution, and marked accumulation of tau-immunoreactive astrocytes. Deposition of beta-amyloid, most commonly as diffuse plaques, occurs in fewer than half the cases.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmid/19535999/

I think, at this point going forward, it's now known that football is a high risk for TBI. It's a known factor, the league has acknowledged it, and anyone who signs up to play football basically knows what they are getting in to. At this point anyone who plays, post-settlement, is basically taking that risk into their own hands, so I can't see it as controversial going forward.

I understood like two of those words, but I take it there is a link between them? I mean I guess it sort of makes sense in that they are both brain diseases, I just figured the causes were entirely unrelated.

cajunator

Banned

I think, at this point going forward, it's now known that football is a high risk for TBI. It's a known factor, the league has acknowledged it, and anyone who signs up to play football basically knows what they are getting in to. At this point anyone who plays, post-settlement, is basically taking that risk into their own hands, so I can't see it as controversial going forward.

I agree. Serious injury potential can occur in almost any sport, but football affecting the brain the most is what makes it scary to people. The brain is still a great mystery in a lot of ways and science hasnt fully been able to explain why certain things happen or how to treat it that makes people comfortable.

cajunator

Banned
the scariest thing though is that protein or molecule thing that really messes with the brain. Its some randomly occurring thing in nature. I forget the name. Scary as fuck though.

zychi

Banned
A live fight is pretty fucking entertaining.

i can see a lot of people paying for this.

I don't give two shits about the pac v may fight. may always has amazing undercards tho. so people who watch the whole thing and care about the pac v may fight will get their money's worth.

even if pac is going to take a dive for mayweather for that payday

bionic77

Boxing isn't anywhere where it used to be in the 80s because more and more people saw what happened to Ali which resulted in many athletes picking different sports.

MMA is probably where the money is at nowadays anyway, not sure what the CTE rate is with that.
There are no MMA fighters making what a top boxer does as far as I know.

MMA is pretty niche. That might change in the future but as for now it doesn't touch popular culture the way a huge boxing fight does (which are becoming extinct).

I don't give two shits about the pac v may fight. may always has amazing undercards tho. so people who watch the whole thing and care about the pac v may fight will get their money's worth.

even if pac is going to take a dive for mayweather for that payday
If it is fixed, the fix would be for Pac to hold his own and maybe even slightly outbox May but for May to get the decision. That way they could double their money on a rematch. You can't have a rematch if Pac gets worked.

Speaking of getting worked, got damn at that dude in love with the stripper. Even he knows it is a bad idea but she must have some magic pussy for him to even consider staying with her.

Striker

ESPN list

CBmIfpaW8AA1E6a.jpg:large

BigAT

Speaking of getting worked, got damn at that dude in love with the stripper. Even he knows it is a bad idea but she must have some magic pussy for him to even consider staying with her.

"What has been a struggle with me with her is that I am in love with her, she is in love with me, I can tell, she says so."

Wow, GAF really is a crazy place. First we have Konka, the first person to ever visit Europe, and now this guy, the first person to have a stripper tell him she loves him.

What are the odds?

bionic77

"What has been a struggle with me with her is that I am in love with her, she is in love with me, I can tell, she says so."

Wow, GAF really is a crazy place. First we have Konka, the first person to ever visit Europe, and now this guy, the first person to have a stripper tell him she loves him.

What are the odds?
:lol

The only possible defense for that guy is that she really does have magic pussy that he is addicted to.

There is no defense known for the traitor known as Konka.

MechDX

Same local 610 radio show personality who declared Wilfork would not sign with the Texans the same day he signed said this morning that the Texans feel Mallett he is not "white enough".........

I hate the offseason.

Respect

"What has been a struggle with me with her is that I am in love with her, she is in love with me giving her my money, I can tell, she says so."

What are the odds?

Sounds about right.

In other news blooborne is great and I can't stop playing even though I've been tempted to throw my controller a few times....lost 200k blood echoes last night, good times.

Syrinx

It occurred to me that we're not being disrespectful enough on this #DisrespectThursday.

Fuck all of you and your teams.

Top Bottom