• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I still will probably wait a year or two before diving in as per usual for me.

There is really no point in jumping into either the PS4 or XBO with so many games still coming out on PS3/360. Metal Gear Solid V, Dark Souls II, Grand Theft Auto V, Gran Turismo 6, The Last of Us, Destiny, Watch Dogs, South Park RPG etc.

Way to many great games still coming out on the PS360, plus for me personally I was out of gaming for a couple years so I still have a lot of catching up to do.

Its better to let other people be guinea pigs for all the inevitable failed launch units and games, and wait and see how things play out.

bionic77

This is honestly one of the funniest gifs I've seen on the internet. GAF delivers. :jnc

iVTT7iHZ0KMgK.gif
That one is old. There have been some other good ones. The se7en Xbone GIF from Sunhi after the conference is also a gem.

There is really no point in jumping into either the PS4 or XBO with so many games still coming out on PS3/360. Metal Gear Solid V, Dark Souls II, Grand Theft Auto V, Gran Turismo 6, The Last of Us, Destiny, Watch Dogs, South Park RPG etc.

Way to many great games still coming out on the PS360, plus for me personally I was out of gaming for a couple years so I still have a lot of catching up to do.

Its better to let other people be guinea pigs for all the inevitable failed launch units and games, and wait and see how things play out.
If you have the time and money launch is a ton of fun for new consoles. Money is not the problem for me anymore, which is usually the case. But if I had more time I would have gotten in on the Vita, 3DS and U launch and probably the PS4 launch as well.

Striker

I don't think Jernigan is a lock, he's shown as little as Barden has, and his contract's up soon as well.
Jernigan still has two years left.

Barden couldn't find a job elsewhere, so this is a chance no one else gives him. Maybe he'll put some pride in improving - I doubt it. Should have used the spot for somebody who can run routes plus plays Specials. At least JJ can do that.

Does jumping in preclude playing those titles out of curiosity? Unless of course you're talking about money being the deciding factor.

Also, Watch Dogs/Destiny are PS4/Xbone titles. There's a pretty solid chance Metal Gear Solid V eventually makes it way up and I'm not entirely convinced you won't see a Gran Turismo 6 re-release on PS4 either.

Does jumping in preclude playing those titles out of curiosity? Unless of course you're talking about money being the deciding factor.

Also, Watch Dogs/Destiny are PS4/Xbone titles. There's a pretty solid chance Metal Gear Solid V eventually makes it way up and I'm not entirely convinced you won't see a Gran Turismo 6 re-release on PS4 either.

Only if you have all of the extra room to set those up, I guess, because of no BC.

squicken

The Dreamcast was truly the last, great game console created.

The original XBOX was the best console ever made. Took shooters and WRPGs off of PC, brought them to the console so you could use a gamepad, and created an online system where everyone had headsets and you didn't spend half your evening looking for a decent server

bionic77

The Dreamcast was truly the last, great game console created.
PS2 was way better overall, but the DC launch is up there with all time great launches.

The best launch is probably the NES with Super Mario (melted my mind back in the day coming from Atari) or the N64 with Mario64. Next best was definitely the DC. That console was a ton of fun for the 3 months it was around. I had already played PC games online, but something about playing NBA2k over dialup blew my mind away. Nothing on the DC was good as Mario64 but the N64 had two good games at launch and nothing for the next year or so. The DC was fucking stacked for the first year.

Sucks Sega is dead. Hope Nintendo can stick around.

One of the higher ups at Sony said we will see when asked about GT6 on PS4, so I have no doubt it will happen. They just want to give Driveclub some time to breathe first.

The original XBOX was the best console ever made. Took shooters and WRPGs off of PC, brought them to the console so you could use a gamepad, and created an online system where everyone had headsets and you didn't spend half your evening looking for a decent server

Huh. All it takes to be the best is PC ports.

The original XBOX was the best console ever made.
PSX
PS2
SNES
Genesis

I'd put them all above the Xbox.

One of the higher ups at Sony said we will see when asked about GT6 on PS4, so I have no doubt it will happen. They just want to give Driveclub some time to breathe first.
Ah well, there you go. Makes too much sense. Same for MGSV which is built on the same Fox Engine being used for Kojima's next gen titles from what I understand.

squicken

Huh. All it takes to be the best is PC ports.

The PC has always had the best games. But after dealing with so many issues I stopped playing them. I never cared much for 2D platformers or Japan games. XBOX brought the best games to console. Ports of games I like > exclusives I don't care about

Draxal

The PC has always had the best games. But after dealing with so many issues I stopped playing them. I never cared much for 2D platformers or Japan games. XBOX brought the best games to console. Ports of games I like > exclusives I don't care about

What issues? PC gaming is better than ever with all the various distribution models going on now and has the best genre has pretty much exclusive (4x strat games).

squicken

What issues? PC gaming is better than ever with all the various distribution models going on now and has the best genre has pretty much exclusive (4x strat games).

Oh I agree. I'm back to PC gaming b/c the XBOX made them change their ways. All good games support the 360 controller now. No more mouse/keyboard ghetto. They also work (generally. Walking Dead won't even start on my machine) now and update themselves.

But in 1995 PC gaming was a disaster. I gave up after about the 900th attempt to get through Rogue Spear w/o it crashing

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Back in the day, pc gaming didn't have all the advantages it currently enjoys. Things like drivers that are worth a crap, everything integrated on the mobo, automatically updated games, etc.

Yep. Outside of pretty typical maintenance (driver updates, etc) and making sure you keep the machine fresh I don't get the "oh I don't want to deal with PC issues!" argument folks make today.

To be fair I just had to reinstall Windows 7 to help correct some stuttering/hitching in Metro Last Light but well, it's been overdue anyways. It's been a good 2 years since my last Windows reinstall.

cdyhybrid

Oh I agree. I'm back to PC gaming b/c the XBOX made them change their ways. All good games support the 360 controller now. No more mouse/keyboard ghetto. They also work (generally. Walking Dead won't even start on my machine) now and update themselves.

But in 1995 PC gaming was a disaster. I gave up after about the 900th attempt to get through Rogue Spear w/o it crashing

I'm assuming you don't play shooters or MMOs.

The "anonymous" Jets bitching has begun:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/23/unnamed-jet-goes-to-town-on-mark-sanchez/

Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com talked to a Jets player, who didn’t offer his name, who said 80 to 90 percent of the team was ready to see Sanchez replaced as the starting quarterback.

“Everyone on the team likes Mark personally but there’s a general feeling among some of the players that maybe it’s time to give someone else a chance,” the player said.

This comes on the heels of a three-interception practice by Sanchez which coach Rex Ryan deemed “unacceptable.”

bionic77

I don't know about that bro!

I had a ton of fun on PC games back then. The 90s was a fucking awesome time to be a gamer. There was so much change every few years.

I am guessing you just hated PC gaming back then because you were playing on your Mom's shitty Packard Bell.

squicken

I'm assuming you don't play shooters or MMOs.

Shooters are my favorite games! But I don't play them competitively. Single player only. And no, I don't play MMOs. The loot grind thing perplexes me

I don't know about that bro!

I had a ton of fun on PC games back then. The 90s was a fucking awesome time to be a gamer. There was so much change every few years.

I am guessing you just hated PC gaming back then because you were playing on your Mom's shitty Packard Bell.

Motherboard jumpers, device conflicts, crap drivers, crap Windows, BSoD, DOS based commands

Once I started working I just wanted shit to work. In college, there is some fun in the challenge of getting it to work right. But that went away

Funny story squicken, but you (well, your avatar) were the guy I always pictured whenever I heard the term "Xbros"."

squicken

Funny story squicken, but you (well, your avatar) were the guy I always pictured whenever I heard the term "Xbros"."

I'm too old to be a Xbro, but I didn't really get into gaming until the first person shooter emerged. I played games intermittently going back to the 2600 and arcades. Mostly sports games. Wasn't until Wolf 3D that the technology was there to hold my interest

The Xbros drove me from online. I can take the yelling and aggro racists, but the stoners and singers were just too much

bionic77

Shooters are my favorite games! But I don't play them competitively. Single player only. And no, I don't play MMOs. The loot grind thing perplexes me

Motherboard jumpers, device conflicts, crap drivers, crap Windows, BSoD, DOS based commands

Once I started working I just wanted shit to work. In college, there is some fun in the challenge of getting it to work right. But that went away
Honestly once I got on 95 (which was a giant turd in retrospect) I could usually get most games to run without much trouble.

Of course not being able to play a brand new game or getting it to run properly when you just paid $40+ for it was fucking terrible but for me at least it was rare.

Talon

Who here was old enough to actually remember going to real arcades?
Arcades were around in the early 2000s, dude. I remember playing Gauntlet Legends in Middle School.

Still don't get why a Gauntlet style Action RPG isn't at the very least on XBLA.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
If you have the time and money launch is a ton of fun for new consoles. Money is not the problem for me anymore, which is usually the case. But if I had more time I would have gotten in on the Vita, 3DS and U launch and probably the PS4 launch as well.

Yeah, game launches and console launches are a lot of fun, but despite making more money I still find it hard to justify picking up a brand new console when they're so many great games coming out.

Most of those games I listed will probably end up coming out on PS4/XBO but I think the differences, particularly graphically, will be minimal plus the PS360 have larger user bases therefore the online communities will be larger.

The one killer app for me in the first year could be Destiny. I've been waiting forever for someone to pull off a decent 128 Player online FPS on consoles. Even then, it'd probably be wise to see which console gets the bigger community.

Fantomex

Yes.

Arcades have been dead/dying since around when the PS2 hit it stride.

It was a fucking blast back in the day though. I think the highlight was probably the Street Fighter 2 era. Shit was serious!

When a dude put his quarter on the counter you knew it was on!

Top Bottom