• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

brentech

Who goes to Detroit to vacation? Do you enjoy getting robbed?
I saw the Stones in grandpa form which is all I can really say.

They still put on one hell of a show and I went with a cute girl.

Best $300 I ever spent.
When I was just 15, I got to go to Woodstock 99. Saw a lot of good bands there. And that shit was fucking nuts.

Vyroxis

Banned
Watched the new Star Trek last night. I want to like it, I honestly tried. But so many parts of the movie involving the technology just flat out bothered me.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yeah it happens when you have the greatest player ever. MJ sux.

Flopping is a blight on all the sports. They need to implement an embellishment penalty like hockey does

I'm assuming sarcasm about Lebron there.

And supposedly players get fined for flopping but they need to take it to the next level and award technicals for it. That'd stop it faster than fines.

bionic77

I was so angry at the Pacer defense on the layup last night.

I was hoping they pushed LeBron left and he had to shoot a midrange jumper for the win. We never see that from him. Not only that but they probably blew what slim chance they had to make it a series. Eastern playoffs this year are the worst I can remember from an entire conference.

I was so angry at the Pacer defense on the layup last night.

I was hoping they pushed LeBron left and he had to shoot a midrange jumper for the win. We never see that from him. Not only that but they probably blew what slim chance they had to make it a series. Eastern playoffs this year are the worst I can remember from an entire conference.
Yeah, they've been awful this year. Injuries + the Heat = boring.

Indiana's defense on that play was inexcusable but it's insane how fast LeBron can get to the rim. His combination of speed and strength is still unbelievable to me no matter how much I watch him play. Regardless, keeping Hibbert on the bench for that final play was incredibly idiotic. You have to assume LeBron will try to attack the rim with 2.1 seconds left or whatever.

I'm still hoping Memphis can make their series interesting but it isn't looking good so far (other than the second half of game 2).

eznark

Banned
I was playing Dota and BigAT said they won. I had no idea basketball was still going on. I mean, I did, but it didn't really register with me. I was in Indy the last two days too. Meh.

bionic77

Yeah, they've been awful this year. Injuries + the Heat = boring.

Indiana's defense on that play was inexcusable but it's insane how fast LeBron can get to the rim. His combination of speed and strength is still unbelievable to me no matter how much I watch him play. Regardless, keeping Hibbert on the bench for that final play was incredibly idiotic. You have to assume LeBron will try to attack the rim with 2.1 seconds left or whatever.

I'm still hoping Memphis can make their series interesting but it isn't looking good so far (other than the second half of game 2).
It's easy to defend against a layup or open 3 in that situation at the end of a game. Those are the two things you have to prevent.

Horrible amateur defense.

Don't count out Memphis. I think it will be tied going back to Texas. Still think Spurs win but probably in 6.

Spurs/Heat should be decent. I probably favor Miami because they have a deeper bench.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I've only heard of Danny Granger for some reason and only recently heard about Paul George.

I don't actually follow basketball so I'm assuming the Pacers don't really have any omega superstars in their team?

Or I'm just a barometer for what the talking heads talk about. I can name 5 players on the Knicks for some reason.

bionic77

I've only heard of Danny Granger for some reason and only recently heard about Paul George.

I don't actually follow basketball so I'm assuming the Pacers don't really have any omega superstars in their team?

Or I'm just a barometer for what the talking heads talk about. I can name 5 players on the Knicks for some reason.
Pacers don't have any offensive superstars.

They are all defense. They make it difficult for Miami to score but they can't score enough to have a real chance to beat Miami.

My expectations for Tannehill keep going up.

“I guess one way to describe him is he’s a gym rat. He loves football; he’s been here an awful lot,” Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin explained. “He's been working out with the guys on their own, nothing orchestrated by us, well before the offseason program began. Those are all good indicators that somebody wants to be good. That’s kind of step one."

“Last year at this time my head was spinning. I was just trying to figure out how things worked,” Tannehill said Tuesday. “I didn’t really know how the day went, how the offseason went, how practices went. So being in it a year, I am completely comfortable. Now I can go out and focus on all the little things that go into the game.”
No more free passes this year, no more excuses. He has more experience and more weapons. Tannehill needs to be up there with guys like Wilson, RGIII, Luck, and Kaep in terms of stats, leadership, and most importantly leading his team to victories. Landing in the middle of the pack again isn't going to cut it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Pacers don't have any offensive superstars.

They are all defense. They make it difficult for Miami to score but they can't score enough to have a real chance to beat Miami.

They almost did last night!

But yeah, if they had any hope of upsetting the Heat they needed to win all of the close games. They'll probably lose by 20 in the next game.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
My expectations for Tannehill keep going up.

No more free passes this year, no more excuses. He has more experience and more weapons. Tannehill needs to be up there with guys like Wilson, RGIII, Luck, and Kaep in terms of stats, leadership, and most importantly leading his team to victories. Landing in the middle of the pack again isn't going to cut it.

Sucks your hopes and dreams will be dashed in week 1!

But as a consolation he'll get to redeem himself in the AFC championship game.

I thought he went there to get 1800 yards and win 4 games

I'm assuming sarcasm about Lebron there.

And supposedly players get fined for flopping but they need to take it to the next level and award technicals for it. That'd stop it faster than fines.

It should definitely be a harsh penalty in all sports. I actually do like Lebron and think he will surpass MJ even though he obviously hasn't yet. There's an awesome documentary called "More than a game" about his HS days

effzee

i like how dwyane wade got his panties in a bunch after he got called for a foul when he pretty clearly hit the guys shooting elbow while he was attempting the shot

Every player complains as if they have never fouled. Crying about the officiating in the NBA is the saddest and most pathetic. After every foul, David West acted like someone shot him. You just don't like the Heat.

Watch ppl still claim the fix is in even though LeBron had 4 fouls and Wade fouled out. Pretty sure Pacers also shot more free throws.

Edit: Also everyone flops. Tony Allen just put in an Oscars worthy performance.

Every player complains as if they have never fouled. Crying about the officiating in the NBA is the saddest and most pathetic. After every foul, David West acted like someone shot him. You just don't like the Heat.

Watch ppl still claim the fix is in even though LeBron had 4 fouls and Wade fouled out. Pretty sure Pacers also shot more free throws.

Edit: Also everyone flops. Tony Allen just put in an Oscars worthy performance.

HuR88.gif

Hynoski update:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 10m

Giants FB Henry Hynoski tore his medial collateral ligament and suffered a chip fracture to lateral plateau. Surgery Friday.

Doctors say he could be ready for the opener which is good news but I always take the pessimistic view on knee injuries so I'm expecting he ends up on PUP to start the season.:(

EDIT: Also, Raiders converted part of Matt Flynn's salary to signing bonus to clear cap space:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 10m

Giants FB Henry Hynoski tore his medial collateral ligament and suffered a chip fracture to lateral plateau. Surgery Friday.

EDIT2: Eagles TE James Casey to get a knee scope. He's out for the spring:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2013/05/23/james-casey-to-undergo-knee-surgery/2354271/

Philadelphia Eagles tight end James Casey will undergo arthroscopic surgery to clean out loose cartilage his right knee and will be out of action for the rest of the spring, a team spokesman confirmed to USA TODAY Sports.

BigAT

What does that prove? That he flops? All players flop. The Heat just aren't liked.

Not all players get bullshit like this going their way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aySGUzzxjGE

Hynoski update:

Doctors say he could be ready for the opener which is good news but I always take the pessimistic view on knee injuries so I'm expecting he ends up on PUP to start the season.:(

Well, not good, but not nearly as bad as I expected. The way everyone involved was talking about it, I thought for sure it was going to be an ACL.

bionic77

I don't know what's more hilarious, Waldens inability to bring Joe Webb down (Walden is a LB, Webb is basically a WR...should be cake) or the fact that Joe Webb is the QB in a playoff game.
Inability to bring him down.

Takes him like 5 minutes to tackle him.

....and Jason Cole posts a "correction" about his Hakeem Nicks story. In other words, his absence has fuck all to do with his contract situation:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--c...not-tied-to-contract-situation-144356456.html

Although Nicks and agent Peter Schaffer have declined to explain why Nicks missed a voluntary offseason training activity session, the agent has strongly denied that the receiver's absence was linked to his contract.

Schaffer indicated in a series of text messages that Nicks takes his place in the community very seriously and wouldn't do anything to jeopardize that reputation.

A team source, who had previously suggested to Y! Sports that Nicks may have been unhappy with his contract situation, clarified Thursday morning that he didn't know exactly why Nicks was gone and was making what he felt was an educated guess.

squicken

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9304112/bill-barnwell-state-san-francisco-49ers

The rise of the 49ers into a superteam over the past two years is rightly credited to the impressive coaching of Jim Harbaugh and the improvements of their talented young core of players. There's a third factor that's often gone ignored, and it's health. San Francisco has been a staggeringly healthy team the past two seasons, with the Football Outsiders AGL metric ranking them as literally the healthiest team in football in 2012. Heck, sometimes, even the few injuries they've had have helped; Alex Smith's concussion created a spot for Kaepernick. The few traumatic long-term injuries they've dealt with have been to bit parts: Second wideouts Josh Morgan (2011) and Mario Manningham (2012) have missed half-seasons, while rotation linebacker Parys Haralson missed the entire 2012 campaign after tearing his triceps during the preseason. This team just hasn't had to deal with this sort of injury to this valuable of a player during the Harbaugh era.

Striker

bionic77

Luckily for him there aren't any in the AFC.
We just drafted one!

Also he plays in the NFC (at least for one more year or however long it takes for him to get cut).

Gotta say not too impressed with the Packers PED program. If their LBs are not even strong enough to bring down a back up qb then they need to take a long look in the mirror. I understand that you don't want to pump them up Carroll style where they start growing horns and shit, but it looks like you guys are on the other end of the spectrum. I suspect someone is watering down the deer piss and HGH or they are getting the generic Costco brand.

Colasante

We just drafted one!

Also he plays in the NFC (at least for one more year or however long it takes for him to get cut).

Gotta say not too impressed with the Packers PED program. If their LBs are not even strong enough to bring down a back up qb then they need to take a long look in the mirror. I understand that you don't want to pump them up Carroll style where they start growing horns and shit, but it looks like you guys are on the other end of the spectrum. I suspect someone is watering down the deer piss and HGH or they are getting the generic Costco brand.

Walden's in the AFC now. Was massively overpaid by the Colts this offseason. They chose to sign him instead of Cliff Avril or Paul Kruger.

eznark

Banned
We just drafted one!

lol

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Console Warriors are dropping their shields and wondering what they've been fighting for.

Slightly related - hilarious 2 minute synopsis of the conference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

He should have added the word "experience" to the cut up. Of course, that would have add two more minutes to the video.

Console reveals really bring out the children out of all the weirdos on this board.

It also allows us to hone our trolling abilities in the offseason. Bless you, next gen.

squicken

The 49ers will be fine without Crabtree, but Barnwell does make an interesting point that the team went off a cliff when they lost Ted Ginn in 2011 and Justin Smith against the Patriots in 2012. They're not necessarily built to withstand injury.

Their defense in particular just doesn't play many players. I have no idea if the have good depth b/c none of the backups ever play. They had 4 guys on defense who had shoulder surgeries. The last two years of living with Fangio have put like 2200 snaps on Willis and Bowman. We saw what losing the good Smith did to that defense, but I think either of those LBs would missing time would also be a big issue for them, though not like Smith

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Chuck Norris is writing columns for BR NB!

Tebow is a player who rises to the occasion and delivers big in critical moments. He reminds me of myself when I used to compete in martial arts. I would spar with my black belts in class, and sometimes they would outscore me. Yet in the tournaments, I would defeat them. My students used to ask me, "Why is it that we can contend equally against you in class but can't beat you in the tournaments?" My answer was always the same: "When it counts, I rise to the occasion."

DMczaf

So let me respectfully challenge Khan to consider these words from Dr. King: "There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe nor politic nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right."

I know that Khan, Caldwell and Bradley have talked, and they know hiring Tebow would be right — right for them, right for the team, right for the fans and right for Florida.

Wait....what?

Top Bottom