• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh I agree. I'm back to PC gaming b/c the XBOX made them change their ways. All good games support the 360 controller now. No more mouse/keyboard ghetto. They also work (generally. Walking Dead won't even start on my machine) now and update themselves.

But in 1995 PC gaming was a disaster. I gave up after about the 900th attempt to get through Rogue Spear w/o it crashing
This was with the shift to Steam as a content distribution platform, not influence from the Xbox.

Fantomex

People used to gather around and watch the matches.

Even girls occasionally!

Hey bionic, did you know any dudes that were awesome with Dahlsim? See everyone I knew would beast with Guile, Ken, Ryun, Chun Li, but if a dude was beasting with Dhalsim, you knew he was good.

bionic77

Hey bionic, did you know any dudes that were awesome with Dahlsim? See everyone I knew would beast with Guile, Ken, Ryun, Chun Li, but if a dude was beasting with Dhalsim, you knew he was good.
Not many, but every once in awhile you run into someone who was a badass with him.

I was always most impressed with the pros with Zangief.

There has been an arcade around in some form up until the mid 2000's man.
Output of new games seemed to really drop around the PS2 dropped. And arcades and machines really started to disappear after that. At least at the places I went to. You started to see more and more of the same few machines.

I mean you can still find arcades today if you look hard enough, but the days of common and popular arcades are long gone.

squicken

This was with the shift to Steam as a content distribution platform, not influence from the Xbox.

I agree with you in general, but I do think the idea of games "just working" on console was part of it. And Windows XP finally providing stable ground, not that that has to do with XBOX

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Dhalsim was near-top tier in the original SF2 and in Super Turbo, but not as much in the other SF2 versions.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
PC gaming could be a pain before Windows XP. IRQ conflicts, Soundblaster always caused problems but it was stellar when it worked, having to get patches via snail mail after calling the software company, and CD ROM drives (and modems!) were built out of the same material as Bob Sanders.

Then it seems like immediately after 2000/XP came out, everything worked better. Components actually lasted, on board sound matched or even eclipsed Sound Blaster, broadband Internet etc.

Ironically people that skipped PC gaming in the early 2000's missed out on one of the greatest games ever made! Battlefield 1942! That thing had all the features of modern console gaming with 64 players and all!

Nicks misses Day 2 of OTAs. Coughlin not happy with lack of communication.

See, I wish the NFL would just say OTAs are mandatory/not mandatory. People catching emotions for fucking nothing.

Using cloud computing will increase the power of the XB1 by 4 times.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...e-questions/&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13693403744796

Quote:
“It’s also been stated that the Xbox One is ten times more powerful than the Xbox 360, so we’re effectively 40 times greater than the Xbox 360 in terms of processing capabilities [using the cloud]. If you look to the cloud as something that is no doubt going to evolve and grow over time, it really spells out that there’s no limit to where the processing power of Xbox One can go. I think that’s a very exciting proposition, not only for Australians, but anyone else who’s going to pick up the Xbox One console.”

It will be interesting to see if this actually works as advertised.

brentech

Ironically people that skipped PC gaming in the early 2000's missed out on one of the greatest games ever made! Battlefield 1942! That thing had all the features of modern console gaming with 64 players and all!

My friend and I would basically just make a LAN and sandbox that shit for hours. Someone pilots while others walk on the wings and other shit. Was a good old time

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You haven't LIVED unless you've written a unique config.sys/autoexec.bat pair to make a single game work with the right mix of main memory, xms memory, and ems memory.

Gonna play at a soccer tournament on Saturday. Time to show the world once again that I'm an elite player.

I don't wanna brag, but I'm like a young Arjen Robben (with hair (at least for now)) who's not made of glass.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...e-questions/&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13693403744796

Quote:
“It’s also been stated that the Xbox One is ten times more powerful than the Xbox 360, so we’re effectively 40 times greater than the Xbox 360 in terms of processing capabilities [using the cloud]. If you look to the cloud as something that is no doubt going to evolve and grow over time, it really spells out that there’s no limit to where the processing power of Xbox One can go. I think that’s a very exciting proposition, not only for Australians, but anyone else who’s going to pick up the Xbox One console.”

:jnc

No chance.

Quote:

Ok.

“To be very clear on the matter, you don’t need an ‘always-on’ connection for Xbox One, but you do require a connection to the internet for certain activities,”

you don’t need an ‘always-on’ connection

Using cloud computing

‘always-on’

It'd be nice if they just saved all of the verbal acrobatics considering we know there's a 24 hour check-in and if developers are to take advantage of that additional cloud computing power they keep going on about, you're going to need to be connected to the internet.

ChanHuk

Banned
Gonna play at a soccer tournament on Saturday. Time to show the world once again that I'm an elite player.

I don't wanna brag, but I'm like a young Arjen Robben (with hair (at least for now)) who's not made of glass.

Who the fuck is Arien Robben? And what kinda man plays soccer? Soccer was created to entertain women while the men cooked dinner in Europe. Hank Hill told me so.

Who the fuck is Arien Robben? And what kinda man plays soccer? Soccer was created to entertain women while the men cooked dinner in Europe. Hank Hill told me so.

arjen-robben-confused.jpg

I enjoy playing soccer actually. Plus I'll play with my brother on the same team for the first time, which should be kinda fun.

Make 1 joke! I DARE YOU!

Nicks misses Day 2 of OTAs. Coughlin not happy with lack of communication.

See, I wish the NFL would just say OTAs are mandatory/not mandatory. People catching emotions for fucking nothing.

The first OTA's are voluntary but I believe mandatory for rookies, the next set of OTA's are mandatory for everyone.

I think there might be some flexibility on this at the coaches discretion, not positive but that's how it's been for the Cards the past several years.

squicken

The first OTA's are voluntary but I believe mandatory for rookies, the next set of OTA's are mandatory for everyone.

I think there might be some flexibility on this at the coaches discretion, not positive but that's how it's been for the Cards the past several years.

I think there is only one thing that is mandatory, and those will be the mini-camps early in June. But for all intents and purposes, OTAs are mandatory. If a guy is a bubble roster guy or in a position battle, he better be there

Ok.

It'd be nice if they just saved all of the verbal acrobatics considering we know there's a 24 hour check-in and if developers are to take advantage of that additional cloud computing power they keep going on about, you're going to need to be connected to the internet.
Yeah they are doing a terrible overall with their message. The idea of using cloud computing to improve games seems great to me, but it obviously will require always online, and we learned last gen if something isnt mandatory devs wont take advantage of it.

Top Bottom