• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Fantomex

Yo man you guys gotta admit, as crazy as gaming side is, it's also some really good entertainment right now. Grown men, planting flags and fighting for billion dollar corporations. It's like gang members who represent on the internets. I see Harson on there fighting for the Xbox. Meh. Only thing I'm sure of is getting a 3ds this year.

Argentina is good at soccer but they lost their way. They suffer from not having a killer 9. Just like most countries do.

Yo man you guys gotta admit, as crazy as gaming side is, it's also some really good entertainment right now. Grown men, planting flags and fighting for billion dollar corporations. It's like gang members who represent on the internets. I see Harson on there fighting for the Xbox. Meh. Only thing I'm sure of is getting a 3ds this year.

Argentina is good at soccer but they lost their way. They suffer from not having a killer 9. Just like most countries do.

Let us all pray for harSon's survival. Gaming side is a harsh mistress.

Godslay

Banned
Gaming side is crazy. Everyone is an expert suddenly. Everything is negative, and no one wants to be optimistic about the future. Things like the cloud computing threads really irritate me. It's lazy to immediately say a technology is bullshit.

There is so much potential in distributed computing, not just for games but for society as a whole. That's not hyperbole either. Science and academics have adopted it, business is starting to/has to some degree, and it won't be long before it permeates to consumers. If anyone is setup to break ground on it, MS is. They have the infrastructure, the software chops, and the money. I'm extremely hopeful they will be able to pull something innovative off. Maybe they won't, but I'm excited that they are giving it a shot.

Gaming side is crazy. Everyone is an expert suddenly. Everything is negative, and no one wants to be optimistic about the future. Things like the cloud computing threads really irritate me. It's lazy to immediately say a technology is bullshit.

There is so much potential in distributed computing, not just for games but for society as a whole. That's not hyperbole either. Science and academics have adopted it, business is starting to/has to some degree, and it won't be long before it permeates to consumers. If anyone is setup to break ground on it, MS is. They have the infrastructure, the software chops, and the money. I'm extremely hopeful they will be able to pull something innovated off. Maybe they won't, but I'm excited that they are giving it a shot.

My only problem with the system is the used game policy.

jakncoke

Banned
Soccer starting to get popular in USA? On the radio they were talking about what the attendance might be in some game on the 29th in cleveland and got me to look up MLS figures. 3 interesting things I found

1) Seattle Sounders averaged 43k a game

2) In 2004 total attendance for the league was 2.3 million last year it was 6 million

3) MLS average game attendance was ahead of NBA and NHL

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Soccer starting to get popular in USA? On the radio they were talking about what the attendance might be in some game on the 29th in cleveland and got me to look up MLS figures. 3 interesting things I found

2) In 2004 total attendance for the league was 2.3 million last year it was 6 million

Well I'd hope they would do better than the NHL or NBA since those venues are about 20k people versus mammoth sized soccer stadiums!

Milchjon

There is so much potential in distributed computing, not just for games but for society as a whole. That's not hyperbole either. Science and academics have adopted it, business is starting to/has to some degree, and it won't be long before it permeates to consumers. If anyone is setup to break ground on it, MS is. They have the infrastructure, the software chops, and the money. I'm extremely hopeful they will be able to pull something innovative off. Maybe they won't, but I'm excited that they are giving it a shot.

The cloud threads made me facepalm more than once. People act like it's some futuristic concept, when it's already playing into almost everyone's life.

For once, the "everything was better before" people were right.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Cheatin Pete and the shady Seahawks front office are only mad that their players got caught. It's clear that Pete has a systematic cheating scheme and some of the guys didn't follow his advice on avoiding detection of the cheating
Well, you might enjoy this then:

The Seahawks’ second-year quarterback made it difficult to not watch him, and coach Pete Carroll summed up the situation when asked how much farther along Wilson is this year compared to last year – when he had just been selected in the third round of the NFL Draft and still was competing for the starting job with the since-departed duo of Matt Flynn and Tarvaris Jackson.

“There’s no way of even calculating that,” Carroll said after a crisp, spirited practice on yet another gorgeous day along the shores of Lake Washington. “His awareness and his sense for the finest details, we jumped offside today and he’s working on hard counts on the first play of team (drills).

“He didn’t know what a hard count was last year at this time.”

Godslay

Banned
The cloud threads made me facepalm more than once. People act like it's some futuristic concept, when it's already playing into almost everyone's life.

It's lazy.The same concept of, 'easier to destroy, than to create'.

I wonder what the reception would have been if Steam would have asked for some cycles of your GPU/CPU, and worked with developers to implement it? Would it have been more well received? I'm positive it would have been.

I guess when it really boils down to it, it's people I don't know, who I wouldn't give a shit about, and really I don't care about their opinions. So I shouldn't let it irritate me. I'm am just baffled at the amount of negativity and cynical garbage that comes out of people face hole. Whatever right?

That doesn't include NFLGAF. You guys are my buds, I don't even care if you are filthy Mongolian Raiders fan with no pants!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Attendance

most are barely bigger than what you'd find in nhl/nba

True.

But they did add a bunch of new teams over recent years. When you look at year over year average attendance by franchise, you see that the average drops substantially in many cities. Overall attendance is up because there are more teams and Seattle is definitely skewing the overall statistics using a huge venue.

Soccer could be more popular now but it's still 5th in popularity. You can tell by just glancing at any sports news.

It is crazy that there are people trying to explain technically how it could help games, like offloading textures and level geometry to the cload since that stuff has to buffer anyways, and people just refuse to believe it could have any benefit at all. Gaming is an odd place some times.

Tamanon

Banned
It is crazy that there are people trying to explain technically how it could help games, like offloading textures and level geometry to the cload since that stuff has to buffer anyways, and people just refuse to believe it could have any benefit at all. Gaming is an odd place some times.

The "cloud" can certainly benefit gaming, but it's not something that only the XB1 has, that's the weird part. It's something both consoles are built to use.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I wonder what the reception would have been if Steam would have asked for some cycles of your GPU/CPU, and worked with developers to implement it? Would it have been more well received? I'm positive it would have been.

No, there would be lynchings. PC gaming is all about multitasking and bleeding edge performance. If it was optional? That'd be different.

Heard on local radio that an unnamed as of yet Browns player will begin the season suspended. He also said its NOT Joe Haden but he did say significant. Of course, people's definition of significant can vary so...who knows.

My guesses are TJ Ward or Josh Gordon.

Would be funny if it was Weeden.

Godslay

Banned
The "cloud" can certainly benefit gaming, but it's not something that only the XB1 has, that's the weird part. It's something both consoles are built to use.

I'm not entirely sure that Sony has the infrastructure to do it. This is assuming it that it requires 'control' nodes to orchestrate everything. That server instance has to act as the orchestrator between the connected nodes doing the work. Scale that up, and it requires a fairly large infrastructure. I guess I don't know Sony's server infrastructure, but I don't think it is as vast as MS's.

No, there would be lynchings. PC gaming is all about multitasking and bleeding edge performance. If it was optional? That'd be different.

Offload computations to the cloud, and it frees up cycles for other work. Allowing more work to be done locally. Fits PC gaming's MO, if they are truly looking for multitasking and performance. The problem and benefit with PC gaming is that there is no true centralized force driving it. It's the wild west to a certain degree, which is fine.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Im curious to see if the PS4 will be as entertainment focused like the X1 is or more gaming focused.
From what Sony has been saying, more gaming focused although they've always had the entertainment side. CD in psx, DVD in ps2, then Bluray and networked video in PS3.

PS4 hardware is higher spec and they're totally kissing up to developers of all sizes now. Basically going for what the 360 originally went for with XBL Arcade and other online features, but moreso.

squicken

From what Sony has been saying, more gaming focused although they've always had the entertainment side. CD in psx, DVD in ps2, then Bluray and networked video in PS3.

PS4 hardware is higher spec and they're totally kissing up to developers of all sizes now. Basically going for what the 360 originally went for with XBL Arcade and other online features, but moreso.

Sony just needs to get all the video services on their box, including HBOGo and the like. I think MS' cable box pass through thing is a non-starter, but having a steaming box that also plays games worked real well for the 360.

I'm not entirely sure that Sony has the infrastructure to do it. This is assuming it that it requires 'control' nodes to orchestrate everything. That server instance has to act as the orchestrator between the connected nodes doing the work. Scale that up, and it requires a fairly large infrastructure. I guess I don't know Sony's server infrastructure, but I don't think it is as vast as MS's.

Offload computations to the cloud, and it frees up cycles for other work. Allowing more work to be done locally. Fits PC gaming's MO, if they are truly looking for multitasking and performance. The problem and benefit with PC gaming is that there is no true centralized force driving it. It's the wild west to a certain degree, which is fine.
I've never heard a reasonable argument for how "the cloud" helps gaming performance much. Certainly not enough to be worth involuntarily donating cycles from my computer and driving up my power bill for.

Latency is a thing. It's not going away. The speed of light is a bitch.

If we're talking file transfers, that's different -- P2P works brilliantly there. P2P gaming stuff, say netplay for example... can work in theory, but in practice most of the time it ends up fighting with (1) latency, (2) everyone wanting to run their local machine at 100% to achieve maximum graphics/etc, (3) NAT.

Fantomex

If I'm buying a car I could give a crap that it has 4 cup holders, a diaper compartment, an antenna to talk to the astronauts and an amplifier for my guitar, I mean it's cool if it comes with it. But if it can't give me acceptable gas mileage and is a pleasure to drive I could give a crap. No sale. Same thing with these upcoming consoles. I got the stupid iPad next to me regarding my fantasy football, and direct tv has a good guide system and dvr. I want to play good games and have fun. That's what I want in a console. They'll both have negatives and positives. So far though I'm not liking kinect, TV focus and no used games. I'm having a new kid God willing in a couple of months. Can the kinect recognize me whispering instead of talking so I don't wake the baby up?

ChanHuk

Banned
If I'm buying a car I could give a crap that it has 4 cup holders, a diaper compartment, an antenna to talk to the astronauts and an amplifier for my guitar, I mean it's cool if it comes with it. But if it can't give me acceptable gas mileage and is a pleasure to drive I could give a crap. No sale. Same thing with these upcoming consoles. I got the stupid iPad next to me regarding my fantasy football, and direct tv has a good guide system and dvr. I want to play good games and have fun. That's what I want in a console. They'll both have negatives and positives. So far though I'm not liking kinect, TV focus and no used games. I'm having a new kid God willing in a couple of months. Can the kinect recognize me whispering instead of talking so I don't wake the baby up?

Your main program is that you're having a kid, you have my condolences but not my videogames.

Your having a kid?Congrats!

Hopefully they will be a Patriots fan.

Congrats on the kid, buddy. Indoctrinate them with the truth of Tannehill at as young an age as possible!

Fantomex

Thanks all. I'm treating my kid like a Jewish father would. Kid has to be a Phin fan until their theirteen. At that time they can make whatever team choice they want, a rite of passage. Any team except to be a Pats fan. I disown them at that point.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Thanks all. I'm treating my kid like a Jewish father would. Kid has to be a Phin fan until their theirteen. At that time they can make whatever team choice they want, a rite of passage. Any team except to be a Pats fan. I disown them at that point.

What if he's a Jets fan?

Milchjon

Worth it.

ChanHuk

Banned
Worth it.

What's it like to be a Pats fan? I figure its like walking around with no sunshine and a rain cloud over you everywhere you go.......like in that Zoloft commercial:

thumb_25.jpg

Godslay

Banned
I've never heard a reasonable argument for how "the cloud" helps gaming performance much. Certainly not enough to be worth involuntarily donating cycles from my computer and driving up my power bill for.

Latency is a thing. It's not going away. The speed of light is a bitch.

If we're talking file transfers, that's different -- P2P works brilliantly there. P2P gaming stuff, say netplay for example... can work in theory, but in practice most of the time it ends up fighting with (1) latency, (2) everyone wanting to run their local machine at 100% to achieve maximum graphics/etc, (3) NAT.

Speed of light is a bottleneck for everything. You can mitigate that to a certain degree with locality. If everyone has to connect to say a server in NY, then yeah it's going to be a problem the further out you get. That's why they are making investments in that infrastructure. The closer the server, theoretically the better the latency.

As far as power draw, I can't imagine that it would be that big of deal considering that both the Xbox and the PS4 are very efficient in terms of power consumption. I ran a box for Rosetta@Home in the early 2000's. Every night for months on end. That drew a lot of power just for the Pentium D itself, and I didn't notice it on my power bill. I think worrying about that is a minor complaint.

As far as the game itself, I found this little gem on gaming side.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564681

Interesting application. I don't think it's impossible to say that something of this nature could scale up with a push. Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I think there are some real avenues for application here.

Top Bottom