• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Fantomex

I've had fake Mexican food, real Mexican food, and pseudo Mexican food. They all suck. Honestly Mexican food is overrated here more than any videogame or sports team. Seriously, its overrated. Fuck your mole, menudo, chile quilas, pazole, whatever. Its fuckin overrated, it sucks, eat some real food.

What is good food to you? You uncultured Garden Grove raised heathen?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I've had fake Mexican food, real Mexican food, and pseudo Mexican food. They all suck. Honestly Mexican food is overrated here more than any videogame or sports team. Seriously, its overrated. Fuck your mole, menudo, chile quilas, pazole, whatever. Its fuckin overrated, it sucks, eat some real food.
You must hate life itself.

ChanHuk

Banned
You must hate life itself.

I don't hate life, I just hate Messican food.

Pazole? I'll take some Eastern European chicken dumpling soup.

Mole? Curry curb stomps it all day

Tacos are the only Mexican win

Enchilada? Fuck you, that shit sucks, its just cannelloni with hot sauce to cover up the shittiness.

Chile quila? Plain bacon and eggs will fuck its mothers. Don't get me started on what eggs benedict will do to that Messican dish.

Carne asada is the next I know they keep talking about; properly cooked ribeye > carne asada, or you know what's easier/faster to prepare/cook than carne asada? Steak au poirve.

Oh and there's ceveche, thats okay I suppose if people didn't purposely use cheap seafood.

Fantomex

Enchilada? Fuck you, that shit sucks, its just cannelloni with hot sauce to cover up the shittiness.

Chile quila? Plain bacon and eggs will fuck its mothers. Don't get me started on what eggs benedict will do to that Messican dish.

Carne asada is the next I know they keep talking about; properly cooked ribeye > carne asada, or you know what's easier/faster to prepare/cook than carne asada? Steak au poirve.

Oh and there's ceveche, thats okay I suppose if people didn't purposely use cheap seafood.

Dang son! I wonder what your taste in women is like!

Hunter S.

Stop pretending raider fans do not live off of a diet of rats, drowned puppies and everclear.

Milchjon

squicken tweeted this yesterday, not sure he posted it here:

Bradford loved Amendola, but he’ll be even happier with Austin. A gifted athlete, he will work the slot and be a bigger playmaker than Amendola ever was.

Amendola averaged just 8.81 yards per reception in St. Louis. That is the lowest average in NFL history by a wide receiver with at least 100 receptions. Even after dropping the minimum to 30 receptions, Amendola would still have the second-worst average, so this is a historically bad figure.

227277-head-in-hands.jpg

squicken

squicken tweeted this yesterday, not sure he posted it here:

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/v2_article_large/public/2012/02/06/227277-head-in-hands.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

A lot of that is the nature of the rest of the team The Rams' offense has been very compressed, both vertically and horizontally, b/c of a lack of talent. The Pats have the ability and players to run defenders out of the space Danny likes to work. He was far and away the best receiving option in STL, where Welker was the volume guy in NE but not necessarily the #1 receiving option

As long as Danny and the TEs stay healthy, that number will go up. It would have gone up in STL, but the Rams didn't trust his health anymore

As someone that actully does care about the environment I was stunned to see that thread title, but once I read the thread it seemed the op was just throwing that out there with nothing to really back it up. Sony had a ton of servers for PSN last gen and no one ever accused them of trying to destroy the environment. It is really sad how the gaming side is being taken over by these ridiculous threads. I remember when posters like Wollan got banned for trollin MS back in the day, and nothing he did was close to the garbage that is tolerated now. E3 is going to be absolutely unbearable, which is sad because I love reading what the rational people on the gaming side have to say.

Milchjon

As someone that actully does care about the environment I was stunned to see that thread title, but once I read the thread it seemed the op was just throwing that out there with nothing to really back it up. Sony had a ton of servers for PSN last gen and no one ever accused them of trying to destroy the environment. It is really sad how the gaming side is being taken over by these ridiculous threads. I remember when posters like Wollan got banned for trollin MS back in the day, and nothing he did was close to the garbage that is tolerated now. E3 is going to be absolutely unbearable, which is sad because I love reading what the rational people on the gaming side have to say.

I do care about the environment too. And the subject has some validity. But it's framed in a ridiculous way.

All your favorite things on the internet require massive servers (except GAF, apparently). And I'm sure that if you look at all the services that are powered by those servers, the energy saved by things they replace actually make up for a lot. Plus all those companies with huge server farms are deeply interested in making them more energy efficient, even if it's probably mostly driven by financial reasons.

The thread was already crazy enough but once I read the post comparing global warming to slavery I had to do myself a favor and close the tab.

On the plus side, I probably conserved a bit of energy by reducing my "number of open tabs footprint."

I do care about the environment too. And the subject has some validity. But it's framed in a ridiculous way.

All your favorite things on the internet require massive servers (except GAF, apparently). And I'm sure that if you look at all the services that are powered by those servers, the energy saved by things they replace actually make up for a lot. Plus all those companies with huge server farms are deeply interested in making them more energy efficient, even if it's probably mostly driven by financial reasons.

The next time GAF goes down rather then get upset I am going to thank evilore for caring so much about the environment.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Fajitas are fantastic. Not sure how anyone could dislike those!

The thread was already crazy enough but once I read the post comparing global warming to slavery I had to do myself a favor and close the tab.

On the plus side, I probably conserved a bit of energy by reducing my "number of open tabs footprint."

Wait for someone to Godwin it. Although AP would be proud by mentioning slavery inappropriately!

Talon

There are times when I think GAF is littered with paid high school grad posters from Sony and Microsoft.

Then I see threads like that, and I think to myself, "nobody would be insane enough to pay for a post like that."

"Over the next couple of years, for instance, we're going to change the logo and uniforms in a way that will respect the history but will be forward looking. We're going to do a major renovation project at the stadium, too, the details of which are still to be determined. So it's going to be a completely different place."
Can't wait for new unis, but I just want Wifi in the stadium for this year.

Godslay

Banned
I like your optimism slay. But you forget that Microsoft only cares about a consumers overall experience if it makes them money. I might be pessimistic but I can already see two scenarios.

1. Networks are crashing - There's too many people on the cloud! We never expected this much success! Well be down for server maintenance every 3 days!

Or

2. Hey Microsoft my games lagging and taking its sweet ass time! - sorry guys, this is why we need more people on the cloud!

Either way it's spun as a positive. I'm glad they're doing the cloud thing but could it be it's too big of a part of their plan right now? Too much ridingn on it?

Viable concerns. They seem to handle the load with what was it 5k or 15k servers? For however many users they have now. I don't imagine that the user base will grow wildly beyond what it is now, so I'm guessing that 300k servers could handle the load as it stands. This also assumes that those servers are dedicated to other tasks as well, so the 300k might be high (some might be used as auth servers, I don't know the details beyond it being a number).

Carnival of stupid. Title always fits over there.

MCV have details on how retail preowned games will supposedly work:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publ...of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales-at-retail/0116137

Retail sources have told MCV that Microsoft has this week briefed key retail partners on how it intends to take ownership of the pre-owned market.

This is how we’ve been told it will all work:

A gamer walks into a retailer and hands over the game they wish to sell. This will only be possible at retailers who have agreed to Microsoft’s T&Cs and more importantly integrated Microsoft’s cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own.

The game is then registered as having been traded-in on Microsoft’s system. The consumer who handed it over will subsequently see the game wiped from their account – hence the until now ambiguous claim from Phil Harrison that the Xbox One would have to ‘check in’ to Microsoft’s servers every 24 hours.

The retailer can then sell the pre-owned game at whatever price they like, although as part of the system the publisher of the title in question will automatically receive a percentage cut of the sale. As will Microsoft. The retailer will pocket the rest.

The interesting part:

Unconfirmed reports on ConsoleDeals.co.uk suggest that retail’s slice will be as little as ten per cent.

It's unconfirmed as mentioned but wow that's a shift if it's true.

eznark

Banned
Gamestop is fucked.

lol wat?

This kills rentals and private resales (ebay, amazon, craigslist). It gives Microsoft the ability to essentially grant GameStop sole reseller status. This is a MASSIVE win for them, at least in light of the way things looked as recently as yesterday.

lol wat?

This kills rentals and private resales (ebay, amazon, craigslist). It gives Microsoft the ability to essentially grant GameStop sole reseller status. This is a MASSIVE win for them, at least in light of the way things looked as recently as yesterday.
That's true, but there are some cons for them as well, the big one being the much smaller piece of the pie they'll get from each used game sale.

brentech

lol wat?

The massive swing in profit margin per sale is pretty drastic. 100% profit of whatever price they want to make....to possibly 10%?

That's crazy. even with more games going through if that's how it works, I don't think that makes up for the margin

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
lol wat?

MS controls their entire profit margin on this system. They're still fucked but not quite like the others who are getting fucked

Talon

lol wat?

Why would Gamestop become the sole reseller? It's in Microsoft's advantage to cut as wide of a berth as humanly possible. Best Buy does used games. Target and Walmart are dabbling in it.

Amazon will be a licensed reseller. It can (and will) undercut Gamestop on price because apparently Amazon shareholders do not give a flying fuck about profit margins.

Gamestop faces the reality of drastically cut margins on used game sales.

Gamestop, oh you dead.

eznark

Banned
Sole b&m reseller, unless you think Best Buy will survive more than a couple years...lol

That's true, but there are some cons for them as well, the big one being the much smaller piece of the pie they'll get from each used game sale.

The massive swing in profit margin per sale is pretty drastic. 100% profit of whatever price they want to make....to possibly 10%?

That's crazy. even with more games going through if that's how it works, I don't think that makes up for the margin

Yes, but yesterday everyone was of the opinion that used game sales would be totally shut off. And 100% profit assumes zero overhead. C'mon man.

That's great point. The concern is the profit margin loss as its fairly significant if indeed they are walking away with 10% as opposed to the larger percentage/"100%" of used game sales they enjoy today. It's a fairly massive shift in their business model if that turns out to be true.

Worth remembering again though (for everyone) that the 10% figure is completely unconfirmed at this point.

Why would Gamestop become the sole reseller? It's in Microsoft's advantage to cut as wide of a berth as humanly possible. Best Buy does used games. Target and Walmart are dabbling in it.

Amazon will be a licensed reseller. It can (and will) undercut Gamestop on price because apparently Amazon shareholders do not give a flying fuck about profit margins.
Amazon, sure. I struggle to imagine a scenario where Target/Walmart become licensed resellers if the margins aren't there.

Draxal

Gamestop faces the reality of drastically cut margins on used game sales.

Gamestop, oh you dead.

Well Gamestop has changed their business model and are continuing to change it, it's not like this news blindsided them. And it wouldn't suprise me if Microsoft cuts a deal with Gamestop as having a dedicated gaming store does help the brand.

I'm just going to wait and see.

Talon

Sole b&m reseller, unless you think Best Buy will survive more than a couple years...lol
I actually stepped into one for the first time in years last week. That place is depressing. Everybody is showrooming.

There is no way in hell that Microsoft grants exclusive access to one store for used games. No way. If Target and Walmart come calling, Mattrick will pick up that phone.

eznark

Banned
Why will they when the margins are small and the overhead is high? There are infrastructure and capacity issues that simply won't make sense for new market entrants.

10%? can't be true? then why sell used games? when new ones will get them more profit.. the number is too low.

The idea that Microsoft will simply dictate that number is humorous. It will be negotiated like anything else and profit margins for the reseller will likely depend as much on the publisher as Microsoft. Those are two different deals, publisher and license holder (Microsoft) that GameStop will have to make.

Just imagine how much more Gamestop will love the PS4 if Sony doesn't go this route.

If Sony follows suit I guess Gamestop's biggest profit margins will come from the sale of used 3DS, Vita, and Wii U games. That's kind of funny to think about.

brentech

Yes, but yesterday everyone was of the opinion that used game sales would be totally shut off. And 100% profit assumes zero overhead. C'mon man.
They still have to pay for the game. That doesn't change, of course. I'm just working with simple numbers that should be translate pretty easily when talking about this shift.

Semantics doesn't change the fact that their net income per used sale is likely to be change from over $20 on newer games to possibly a few bucks.

If this pans out how it's set up, they're taking a hit. But yeah, I'm sure 10% is (maybe) worst case scenario. Either way, it doesn't sound good to be GameStop right now.

edit: Schematics...fucking auto-correct, lol

eznark

Banned
If this pans out how it's set up, they're taking a hit.

Obviously

One potential outcome is that they turn into a volume play. They pay less for games but also resell them for less. When your margins are small (let's say 10%) the incentive/necessity for a retail space is to churn.

It'd be funny to see GameStop be the driving force behind depressed pricing for games.

Draxal

I actually stepped into one for the first time in years last week. That place is depressing. Everybody is showrooming.

There is no way in hell that Microsoft grants exclusive access to one store for used games. No way. If Target and Walmart come calling, Mattrick will pick up that phone.

It would just be a complete waste of space for Target and Walmart. I just don't see any profit in doing so for them at all.

Talon

It would just be a complete waste of space for Target and Walmart. I just don't see any profit in doing so for them at all.
You mean like they already sell?
Obviously

One potential outcome is that they turn into a volume play. They pay less for games but also resell them for less. When your margins are small (let's say 10%) the incentive/necessity for a retail space is to churn.

It'd be funny to see GameStop be the driving force behind depressed pricing for games.
Does Gamestop get enough foot traffic to become a volume store? There are really too many of these stores around. It's hilarious to me that there's within a 5 mile radius of me.

CleverGirl

Neo Member
So I've never been to this forum before because I tend to have only a passing interest in football and the after hours lives of the players makes me more disinterested. However I heard something yesterday on lockerdome, about Ray Lewis which was really uplifting. He, along with nutrition and fitness expert Basheerah Ahmad and former Chicago Bear Tommie Harris are climbing Kilimanjaro to raise money and awareness for clean water projects in East Africa. Its refreshing to me to see these athletes really pushing themselves for a cause beside money. Well I guess the cause is money, but not for them.

http://raylewis.lockerdome.com/

Just imagine how much more Gamestop will love the PS4 if Sony doesn't go this route.
Publishers want this. They dislike used games as much as anyone and that pressure will push Sony to adopt some type of model that cuts them in. I just don't see it not happening.

The private sales and used games market as we know it today is going bye bye. One way or the other.

Talon

Yeah, because their margins are massive. When the margins are worse than on new sales, the incentive disappears and indeed, becomes a disincentive. Why would they offer a used copy of a game and get 10% as opposed to a new copy and get 20%?
Really can't answer that without knowing the volume of the used game market compared to the new market. Presumably Gamestop doesn't split Pre-owned and New on their financials because why would they?

The fact that Halo 3 is up for $17 on both site means that people are paying $17 for a used Halo 3.

Consumers deserve every piece of shit that's dumped on them.

Top Bottom