• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Goes against the claim of Stafford throwing for many yards but I suppose anything is better than that.

You know the Lions O will be the new Greatest Show on Turf. And the D will be the Monsters of the Midway reborn.

All the way to 18-1, a Super Bowl win, and a MVP for the best QB in the league, Matthew "Cannonball Arm" Stafford.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Man who made this ridiculous claim in the first place? Heavy?

Oh and I just beat The Last of Us, really good stuff. Goty so far.

Whoa, whoa I never said Bush would get 1800 rushing yards. He wouldn't be able to do that even with an offense focused around him, let alone our offense which is pass first.

We've been a Top 5 ranked offense the last two years with a QB under 25 throwing for 60 TDs and 10,000 Yards with mediocre and slow RBs. Bush is an ideal running back for our system and will only help this Top 5 offense get better. He doesn't need to put up huge numbers, his speed and versatility alone will keep defenses on check so they don't have to triple team Megatron.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Nope it was Heavy that said it. Then a page was spent mocking him at which point he accused everyone of being too I insular and stormed off.

vXdKLhg.jpg

Fantomex

Today was a good day y'all. All that Costco shopping paid off today with some bomb chicken salad, pizza and berry smoothies for dinner. Y'all have a good night.

cajunator

Banned
Whoa, whoa I never said Bush would get 1800 rushing yards. He wouldn't be able to do that even with an offense focused around him, let alone our offense which is pass first.

We've been a Top 5 ranked offense the last two years with a QB under 25 throwing for 60 TDs and 10,000 Yards with mediocre and slow RBs. Bush is an ideal running back for our system and will only help this Top 5 offense get better. He doesn't need to put up huge numbers, his speed and versatility alone will keep defenses on check so they don't have to triple team Megatron.

Bush will never get 1800. He will break long before. However he is a valuable and talented back. He will make some huge plays and then end up on IR halfway. Hes still a fast motherfucker but he will always be seen as a bust given where we took him. But he has a ring and Im happy for him.

Bush will show flashes of greatness against bad teams but be punished for his east-west running style by teams with fast linebackers and secondaries that know how to tackle, just like in Miami. He'll probably be implemented into the passing game somewhat effectively, though.

Take this for instance:

ReggieBush_TDRun.gif

Is that Reggie being amazing or the Raiders being the Raiders? Personally I'd say it's more of the latter.

cajunator

Banned
Bush will show flashes of greatness against bad teams but be punished for his east-west running style by teams with fast linebackers and secondaries that know how to tackle, just like in Miami. He'll probably be implemented into the passing game somewhat effectively, though.

Take this for instance:

ReggieBush_TDRun.gif

Is that Reggie being amazing or the Raiders being the Raiders? Personally I'd say it's more of the latter.

Believe me I know all about his quirks.
I think he did more good than bad while here but hes just too damned fragile.
Also thats just the Raiders being Raiders.

Take this for instance:

ReggieBush_TDRun.gif

It's all of the latter. None of the Raiders in that play squared up to Reggie. I could break those tackle attempts.

Knowing how to tackle is a lost art.

bionic77

It's all of the latter. None of the Raiders in that play squared up to Reggie. I could break those tackle attempts.

Knowing how to tackle is a lost art.
How important is tackling these days when everyone is slanging it 60 times a game?

I agree that tackling is a lost art, but these days it seems you can win it all with average tackling and a good pass rush (assuming you don't get a bad matchup and play one of the few teams that actually focus on running the ball).

How important is tackling these days when everyone is slanging it 60 times a game?

I agree that tackling is a lost art, but these days it seems you can win it all with average tackling and a good pass rush (assuming you don't get a bad matchup and play one of the few teams that actually focus on running the ball).

You're kidding, right?

bionic77

You're kidding, right?
Well lets say that you can only have 2 out of these 3 skills for your defense.

Pass Rush
Pass Defense
Tackling

Which of the two are you taking? Everyone is taking pass rush. Now do you want skinny pussies who can defend the pass but couldn't tackle a RB to save their life or real men who can tackle but are too slow to keep up with skinny and fast receivers going over the middle?

Pass Rush
Pass Defense
Tackling

Which of the two are you taking? Everyone is taking pass rush. Now do you want skinny pussies who can defend the pass but couldn't tackle a RB to save their life or real men who can tackle but are too slow to keep up with skinny and fast receivers going over the middle?

Just ask the Green Bay Packers. They have both, and they haven't sniffed the Championship round since their defense went to shit.

BigAT

Pass Rush
Pass Defense
Tackling

Oh, you are serious...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCP83KkcQ-A

Tell me how unimportant tackling is after watching that. A simple 8-yard catch is turned into a 74-yard touchdown purely because the Eagles have the tackling skills of an XFL team.

bionic77

Just ask the Green Bay Packers. They have both, and they haven't sniffed the Championship round since their defense went to shit.
They can't really defend the pass anymore and they don't get much pressure outside of Mathews. The year they won the SB they had the best defense in football.

I think the Saints are a better comparison and they won a SB despite not being able to tackle.

Obviously matchups and luck play a huge role, but you can't have everything and I think more teams would give us tackling than pass defense or pressure (if they even have those).

Oh, you are serious...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCP83KkcQ-A

Tell me how unimportant tackling is after watching that. A simple 8-yard catch is turned into a 74-yard touchdown purely because the Eagles have the tackling skills of an XFL team.
Well the Steelers had tackling for a long time but we were too slow to cover quick passes. You can't have it all. Granted the Eagles had none of it but that is never a winning formula!

They can't really defend the pass anymore and they don't get much pressure outside of Mathews. The year they won the SB they had the best defense in football.
That's...my point. They year they won the Super Bowl they had good tackling. Now they don't and they're massive underachievers. Not a coincidence.

The one common element of last year's championship teams was good tackling. Yes, even the Patriots.

bionic77

That's...my point. They year they won the Super Bowl they had good tackling. Now they don't and they're massive underachievers. Not a coincidence.

The one common element of last year's championship teams was good tackling. Yes, even the Patriots.
I agree that the Ravens and Niners had good tackling but the Saints? Didn't AP run for 1800 yards in that game (we call that a Reggie Bush) but it was negated by like 6 fumbles?

Take this for instance:

ReggieBush_TDRun.gif

Remember that game. That was all the Raiders being terrible. We made running backs (and QBs and WRs) look like HOFs all year long.

I agree that the Ravens and Niners had good tackling but the Saints? Didn't AP run for 1800 yards in that game (we call that a Reggie Bush) but it was negated by like 6 fumbles?

The Saints are one team. Who was the last one before them? You are claiming them as the rule when they are an exception.

Here are the last 10 Super Bowl Winners before the Saints.

Steelers
Giants
Colts
Steelers
Patriots
Patriots
Bucs
Patriots
Ravens
Rams

Can you pick out the poor tackling teams?

bionic77

The Saints are one team. Who was the last one before them? You are claiming them as the rule when they are an exception.

Here are the last 10 Super Bowl Winners before the Saints.

Steelers
Giants
Colts
Steelers
Patriots
Patriots
Bucs
Patriots
Ravens
Rams

Can you pick out the poor tackling teams?
1. The Pats never won the SB.
2. The Colts were not a good tackling team. They just seemed to get hot on defense the year they won it all.
3. I think the Giants have had times of poor tackling but again got hot in the playoffs.
4. I don't remember the Rams defense from that year. Obviously they won it on a tackle but I can't recall much more than that.
5. The game has changed a lot since the Ravens won their first.

2. The Colts were not a good tackling team. They just seemed to get hot on defense the year they won it all.
3. I think the Giants have had times of poor tackling but again got hot in the playoffs.
4. I don't remember the Rams defense from that year. Obviously they won it on a tackle but I can't recall much more than that.

What does "hot on defense" mean? Surely that consists of good tackling. The exclamation point on the Colts Super Bowl run that year was Bob Sanders, who was an excellent tackler.

ChanHuk

Banned
What does "hot on defense" mean? Surely that consists of good tackling. The exclamation point on the Colts Super Bowl run that year was Bob Sanders, who was an excellent tackler.

Bob Sanders also made Gata seem tall. IR Bob, had the heart but his body couldn't take the punishment.

Striker

Giants issue has been mainly the DB's taking such porous angles in attack. Look, for example, at Mike Wallace's slant for TD in the Steeler-Giant game this past year. Quick slant route to Wallace, Antrel Rolle in pursuit, but doesn't take in account Wallace's speed and has absolutely no chance to get a good opportunity for a play. It was pure dogshit defense, and ultimately I think cost them the game. The Giants defense since Fewell's been hired has been fairly mediocre at best. They took those six games late in 2011 and were matching what the offense was doing. But really I don't think tackling has been their issue, it's just "miscommunication"/bad DB play. Rolle and Webster in particular and each have been talking about it more than any other player.

bionic77

Touché.

I still think that is the one you hope and pray on improving during the season and focus on the pass rush and coverage.

But really it comes down to matchups. A team with only 2 real receivers can't take advantage of the Steelers lack of speed and a team like the Niners will go through the Packers defense like a ChanHuk through a bottle of vodka.

Top Bottom