• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

squicken

Dog-on-a-jetski_large.gif

Chuck Klosterman has a pretty long war room piece on the Browns.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9255454/chuck-klosterman-draft-day-cleveland?ex_cid=grantland33

BR.com has a decent, even handed column on Amukamara's 2012 performance. The highs and the lows. Comes along with the typical "yeah, I know it's Bleacher Report..." warning but considering there isn't much football news at the moment.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1633539-how-good-is-prince-amukamara

Focus (subscription required) ranked him 49th among the 113 cornerbacks who played at least 25 percent of their teams' snaps in 2012. He allowed completions on only 52.4 percent of the passes thrown his way, which ranked 19th among the same group, while opposing quarterbacks had a combined passer rating of just 74.5 on those throws, placing Amukamara in the top 25 in the category. And finally, on a per-snap basis, only eight corners gave up fewer completions than he did.

When Amukamara earned some reps against top-flight wideout A.J. Green in Week 10, he gave up three receptions on three targets (although one was for a three-yard loss). He was also the closest man in coverage when Robert Griffin III hit Pierre Garcon on a game-clinching completion in the fourth quarter in December.

squicken

I think you've posted that gif more than any one else from Browns gaf ;P #OneofUs

Maybe it is just PR, but the old Holmgren regime sound like morons. It's a pretty good piece, but all the good stuff is off the record.

Still, the team sells out virtually every home game. This is not Jacksonville. When it comes to football, Ohio is just a colder version of Texas. The Browns are always the biggest story in town: Two days before the draft, the Cavs rehired Mike Brown as their head basketball coach for $20 million; among the local media, the move received roughly the same amount of attention as the imaginary possibility of the Browns drafting EJ Manuel. Such single-minded obsession creates a unique problem for the Browns front office: How do you appease a fan base that is both highly critical and eternally infatuated? It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn.

I pose this question to Alec Scheiner, the team's new president and my de facto liaison during the three days I spend in Cleveland. "My feeling is that we need to present a different picture of this organization," he says. "It's been stale. It has not done well. I don't think people view the Browns in a positive light. My perception from the outside was that the Browns just weren't successful. They weren't energetic or forward-thinking."

---

Most of my days in Berea are spent waiting in the facility's brand-new cafeteria, the one aspect of the organization everyone insists has truly been reinvented. Judging from how the previous dining center is unanimously described, the Browns used to feed everyone slop. "This place is unreal," says Spencer Lanning, a punter from South Carolina competing for a job. "For breakfast, you used to just get a greasy breakfast sandwich. It made you feel worse. Now we have all this great cereal." When CEO Banner came to the Browns from Philadelphia, he hired the same caterers the Eagles employed, a company called Flik. I must admit: The food is borderline delicious. On the day of the draft, they serve prime rib for lunch and crab legs for dinner. It seems curious that the concept of nutrition had never occurred to the Browns until 2013, but maybe that explains a lot about what was broken here.

Talon

? As far as I know, every NFL team does the same thing with catering - extremely high protein foods available for lunch and dinner.

I think there was an interview from Patrick Kerney talking about what he ate every day.

squicken

Got this sense from every other war room piece I've ever read, and the Buddy Nix recorded conversation just confirmed it. These guys aren't that much smarter, if at all, from anyone else following football. They just had an in to the job

In so many ways, this denial represents the grand irony of the Browns organization (and, I would assume, every other organization in the NFL). The Browns live in a state of perpetual war, endlessly convincing themselves that every scrap of information they possess is some kind of game-changing superweapon that will alter lives and transmogrify the culture. They behave like members of a corporate cult. Yet what do these cultists watch on the day of the draft? They watch ESPN. They log on to the Internet and scan ProFootballTalk. The comments they make about college prospects are roughly identical to whatever your smarter friends might glean from the Plain Dealer. I've never witnessed this level of institutional paranoia within a universe so devoid of actual secrets. I can't even imagine what it could be they don't want me to know.

Draxal

? As far as I know, every NFL team does the same thing with catering - extremely high protein foods available for lunch and dinner.

I think there was an interview from Patrick Kerney talking about what he ate every day.

Pretty much, my favorite giants interview was of Rick Seubert in the Giants cafertia explaining what they ate.

JABEE

That article was so fucking dumb. Most of those losses were not heart breaking at all. How is losing 24-0 a heart breaking loss? It felt like the author just picked 25 games without any concern to the actual games.

I was just frowning at the picture of the Vet imploding.

squicken

Boley. Solid tackler (when he was in position), terrible in coverage in 2012. Took a serious nosedive in that department last season.

There was nothing "underrated" about Boley in 2012.

I think just in general we would think "bad defense bad tackling", so that's why it would be a "surprise". But yeah, it's the wrong word. Some guys will play off too far and give up a catch, but make the tackle. Noticed this about BUF's DBs. Seemed like an odd strategy given their expensive line.

edit: lol tiki

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/09/tiki-asks-ronde-why-people-dont-like-him-irony-dies/

So on the day his lower profile, more successful brother retired, Tiki took to the airwaves to ask Ronde “Why do so many people like you, but don’t like me?”

Self-awareness doesn’t appear to have been considered as an option.

Ronde was being interviewed by Tiki on CBS Sports Radio when the Smothers Brothers-style question came up, asking once before a commercial break and then giving Ronde a moment to think about it.

“That’s a great question,” Ronde said, via the New York Daily News. “[It’s] probably because you live in New York and I don’t know if New Yorkers like anything more than loving their stars than hating them.

“They look for faults and exploit them, or failures and exploit them and it’s a national story when it’s up there.”

We can now consider Ronde the more polite one, as well.

In case that’s not the answer you were seeking, perhaps it was Tiki calling Michael Strahan greedy during a contract negotiation. Perhaps it was ripping Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin after he retired. Perhaps it was leaving his pregnant wife for an intern at an old job, or comparing his persecution to Anne Frank.

Or maybe it’s just that New Yorkers are big meanies.

That must be it.

effzee

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/broken-tackles-2012-defense

No shock, but PHI had the worst tackling defense in football last year. Surprised to see the Rams at 5, but not really. The safeties and OLBs were crap.

Yup. No pass rush, ok LBs dealing with wide 9 scheme, "cover" corners who couldn't cover or tackle, and the worst safety combo in the league.

That is why even though they let go of the big names, the D will be better by subtraction. Actual coaching staff, solid secondary that at least tackles, and hopefully completely overhaul of attitude and style.

jakncoke

Banned
Code:
Team	Off./Def. Total	Gone	Remaining	Pct. Gone
Baltimore	23,375	7,549	15,826	32.30
Cincinnati	22,506	2,779	19,727	12.35
Cleveland	23,011	5,081	17,930	22.08
Pittsburgh	21,678	6,258	15,420	28.87
Total	        90,570     21,789     68,781	24.06
Interesting. This is snaps and how many were lost over the offseason from last years numbers

Striker

Chad Jones, former Giants Safety who got in a serious car crash after getting drafted, is calling it quits for the NFL, and trying baseball.

effzee

Both tickets to the Eagles Chiefs week 3 TNF matchup.

Right on the 50 yard line right behind the visitors side.

That's right you fat pos walrus I am coming for you. If you guys hear someone screaming obscenities through your tv, yes it will be me.

Chad Jones, former Giants Safety who got in a serious car crash after getting drafted, is calling it quits for the NFL, and trying baseball.
It was a longshot for him but I wish him the best. Shitty situation and who knows what he could have been for us.:(

Top Bottom