• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

ie8sPyJ.jpeg

I bought my first autographed anything, since normally I think its silly to spend money for someone's signature. But I saw this and knew I needed to have it. Not only is it from the Super Bowl game where we kicked some rapist ass, but the shot is from a play where Woodson is laying out for his team and about to break his damn collarbone. Such an awesome shot with so much meaning behind it compared to a normal picture of a player standing or something.

Anyone want to share their swag? Rather than discuss how amazing the 3DS is, again.

Colasante

Funnily enough, Bleacher Report predicted the Pats drafting Dobson:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...d-patriots-absolutely-must-draft-aaron-dobson

I thought they would draft Dobson in the 3rd and he'd be the second fiddle to whichever receiver they drafted in the 1st or 2nd. I'm surprised they drafted him as The Guy, and took Boyce later. I guess it's not such a surprise though, at 6'3 and with his speed the only thing stopping Dobson from being a legitimate #1 WR will be his ability to grasp the playbook.

However I feel about Alex Smith, I'm as concerned with the Chiefs defense and the utter lack of depth. The defensive line is thin on both talent and numbers, and the Arenas trade weakens the secondary at corner.

Even though he's much, much closer to "just a guy" than Pro Bowler, Arenas has at least shown something on the NFL level. While they're short on playing time, Jalil Brown and Neiko Thorpe have been liabilities, and DeQuan Menzie, who I was interested in seeing play, spent the year on IR. That leaves Flowers, Sean Smith, and Dunta Robinson as the veterans and presumed starters at corner, with Sanders Commings moving to the safety spot. I don't expect to be thrilled with Smith & Robinson's play, so that's the main reason why I don't particularly like this trade.

That said, Arenas was probably on his way out as Dorsey and Reid clear the roster of Pioli picks, and something is better than nothing.

squicken

-Geno drama continues. Deadspin says he fired agents b/c they said he should skip Senior Bowl, didn't combat negative press from PFW scouting report, and felt betrayed when Daniel and Kolb signed with KC and BUF. Both guys represented by his agents, and went to potential first round landing spots

-Yahoo says when Geno went on visits, he was a know it all with coaches and wouldn't listen. Spent too much time on his cell phone looking at Twitter and texting instead of talking with coaches

Colasante

-Geno drama continues. Deadspin says he fired agents b/c they said he should skip Senior Bowl, didn't combat negative press from PFW scouting report, and felt betrayed when Daniel and Kolb signed with KC and BUF. Both guys represented by his agents, and went to potential first round landing spots

-Yahoo says when Geno went on visits, he was a know it all with coaches and wouldn't listen. Spent too much time on his cell phone looking at Twitter and texting instead of talking with coaches

Maybe David Garrard can slap some sense into him. I wonder how Smith's character issues compare to Cam Newton's when he came into the league.

cdyhybrid

Sounds like the perfect Jets QB.

squicken

Maybe David Garrard can slap some sense into him. I wonder how Smith's character issues compare to Cam Newton's when he came into the league.

Listening to Barkley and Geno, I got the same vibe as I got from Cam. They think they have made it and will just slot in alongside the Mannings and Rodgers as the elites in the game. Don't seem to get all that has to be done between now and then

As far as Garrard, he's never had the best reputation as a leader and worker. A good guy, but never a player who put football ahead of everything else

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Him and Ryan are going to get along great.

squicken

I love this weather. It's May and we haven't hit the 90s yet. High in the 60s tomorrow? That's crazy for HOU in May. So awesome. Frozen Midwesterners are acceptable losses. They're with Paul Harvey now in the great big Dodge in the sky

I love this weather. It's May and we haven't hit the 90s yet. High in the 60s tomorrow? That's crazy for HOU in May. So awesome. Frozen Midwesterners are acceptable losses. They're with Paul Harvey now in the great big Dodge in the sky

Texas weather is rough. Honestly I think my region on the east coast is the best there is. A full dynamic range of weather without ever getting too high or too low.

effzee

Listening to Barkley and Geno, I got the same vibe as I got from Cam. They think they have made it and will just slot in alongside the Mannings and Rodgers as the elites in the game. Don't seem to get all that has to be done between now and then

As far as Garrard, he's never had the best reputation as a leader and worker. A good guy, but never a player who put football ahead of everything else

What has Barkley said that leads you to believe so?

All I have heard from his positivity about being selected and trying to prove everyone who passed on him wrong.

cdyhybrid

I haven't seen snow in two years....

:(

It didn't snow this winter at all and I'm perfectly fine with it. It was cool occasionally but it's such a pain in the ass when it snows here.

We're finally going to get into the 70s this week! I missed the sun and warmth.

Greg

I bought my first autographed anything, since normally I think its silly to spend money for someone's signature. But I saw this and knew I needed to have it. Not only is it from the Super Bowl game where we kicked some rapist ass, but the shot is from a play where Woodson is laying out for his team and about to break his damn collarbone. Such an awesome shot with so much meaning behind it compared to a normal picture of a player standing or something.

Anyone want to share their swag? Rather than discuss how amazing the 3DS is, again.
That's awesome.

....but we didn't hear any of this prior to the draft. I mean he was a total professional with no work ethic issues according to some who slagged off the Nawrocki scouting report.

Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.

Dragon

Banned
Texas weather is rough. Honestly I think my region on the east coast is the best there is. A full dynamic range of weather without ever getting too high or too low.

This year for a week it was in the single digits at night and in the teens during the day and man I had to walk twenty blocks and my nose about froze off. It can get pretty cold here unfortunately!

effzee

....but we didn't hear any of this prior to the draft. I mean he was a total professional with no work ethic issues according to some who slagged off the Nawrocki scouting report.

I guess every other analyst who praised him for his attitude, work ethic, and practice habits while at the same time still saying he isn't anything amazing was lying.

Either way we will find out soon enough when he gets his chance. Or if he gets his chance. Or a chance...oh shit he went to the worst possible organization.

Rooting for him to prove Nawrocki wrong only because it seemed so personal. Another hurdle black QBs have to overcome. Reading his analysis of Barkley, the difference in tone and style is night and day. And lol he thought Barkley would be a first round pick.

Meet the guy who's going to make it "easy" for them to dump Buttfumble!! And the great thing is that dope Holmes will be back to completely divide the locker room over which QBs suck the most.

squicken

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
#Rams have turned RG3 trade into DT Brockers, CB Jenkins, RB Pead, G Watkins, LB Ogletree, WR Bailey, RB Stacy. 2014 1st-rounder left to go.

mmm hmm

I guess every other analyst who praised him for his attitude, work ethic, and practice habits while at the same time still saying he isn't anything amazing was lying.
Well it seems to be playing out before out eyes, doesn't it? I even defended Geno when some people were in here saying he was bitch for not showing up the next day of the draft. He was actually there in the green room and I said as much so it's not like I have a bone to pick with the guy.

I'm just not so quick to slag off any direct poor analysis of the player either. I'm not even gonna touch the race card angle you're playing.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

I did love the weather in New England if nothing else because the summers were absurdly mild. Even Wisconsin is known to swelter for at least a week or two. Apparently Minnesota is also known for even hotter summers so it's going to be horrible for them when they get exactly one week of spring this year before the heat domes settle in.

squicken

What has Barkley said that leads you to believe so?

All I have heard from his positivity about being selected and trying to prove everyone who passed on him wrong.

Barkley twice in the lead up to the draft blamed Kiffin for his bad 2012. He even blamed a fumble on Kiffin during Gruden's show.

By the way, here's the full Jason Cole article on Smith that squicken is referring to:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--g...s-shed-light-on-why-qb-dropped-183846651.html

The problem is that NFL types see a guy who, right now, doesn't understand how to get there.

"His biggest problem is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know," said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. "I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches … he's talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down."

One possible factor in Smith dropping to the second round is a concern about leadership.

"He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader," said another league executive, who spent a great deal of time studying Smith before the draft. "I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league."

Two sources indicated that when Smith went on some visits to teams, rather than interact with coaches and front-office people, he would spend much of his time on his cell phone. Instead of being engaged with team officials, he would be texting friends or reading Twitter or a number of other distracting activities.

"All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one of the sources said. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback."

Both sources indicated that Florida State's E.J. Manuel, who was selected ahead of Smith at No. 16 overall by Buffalo, was far more impressive in terms of his personality and maturity.

Geno Smith threw for 4,205 yards for West Virginia last season.

We'll see how things go in the Jets. One thing I do agree with you on effzee, he did indeed go to the worst possible place.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
#Rams have turned RG3 trade into DT Brockers, CB Jenkins, RB Pead, G Watkins, LB Ogletree, WR Bailey, RB Stacy. 2014 1st-rounder left to go.

mmm hmm

All that for a QB who will likely be injured for half of his career. I'd say that's a win win.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva

mmm hmm

Considering that the Rams needed a whole new team, St. Louis is winning this trade so far.

I thought they would draft Dobson in the 3rd and he'd be the second fiddle to whichever receiver they drafted in the 1st or 2nd. I'm surprised they drafted him as The Guy, and took Boyce later. I guess it's not such a surprise though, at 6'3 and with his speed the only thing stopping Dobson from being a legitimate #1 WR will be his ability to grasp the playbook.
and the fact that a girl is throwing to him

squicken

Geno seems almost doomed to failure in NY. Such an awful organization. I keep hearing how they didn't really plan on drafting QB, but that Geno was such a good value for them that they had to take him. I'm not sure you go BPA with a QB unless you have one already established

Considering that the Rams needed a whole new team, St. Louis is winning this trade so far.

Yep. Even if you love RG3 there's no way he would have done anything in STL. His OL was great in DC and had near perfect health. Easier schedule and offensive coaches who knew how to (over)use his abilities. Amazing talent, though. Stays healthy and he has HoF potential.

effzee

Well it seems to be playing out before out eyes, doesn't it? I even defended Geno when some people were in here saying he was bitch for not showing up the next day of the draft. He was actually there in the green room and I said as much so it's not like I have a bone to pick with the guy.

Its far too early to claim Nawrocki was right. Up until he fails completely on the field, in the locker room, and we hear that he is a cancer or can't lead the guys I can't just claim Nawrocki was right. Though if any of this new news is true it looks terrible. I just find it hard to believe that on visits to teams he would be on his cell phone tweeting while coaches are trying to talk to him. That just sounds unbelievably stupid and out there. And why did this nugget stay hidden until now?

I don't doubt EJ Manuel has higher leadership ability. I bet that went into him being picked over Geno but EJ Manuel is also far more raw and the same analysts who were critical of Geno had EJ Manuel as the #2 or even #3 QB in this class behind Geno. ALso teams don't pick just on leadership. I firmly believe he fell because his skill set isn't that impressive. If he was as accomplished or talented as RG3 or Luck, despite his leadership skills or lack there of he would have gone top 5.

I'm just not so quick to slag off any direct poor analysis of the player either. I'm not even gonna touch the race card angle you're playing.

Maybe not you but a lot of people all over the football world took his word as gospel. And now any mistakes he makes will be viewed through the lens of that scouting report. Barkley, as squicken pointed out, also might have ego issues and called out his coach for some his own bad play. None of that made it into the Nawrocki scouting report for Barkley. And again it wasn't that he was just negative, it was the whole tone and ripping him to shreds.

A lot of other analysts, like Charley Casserly for example, were very down on Geno and the whole QB class but mostly because of their actual skill set. A lot of questionable guys get picked high due to their pure talent. The main questions about Geno before the Nawrocki report were about his accuracy, the offense he ran, his mechanics and other football related skills. And people were very critical. It wasn't until the Nawrocki report that people accepted as fact that in addition to his poor skill set he was also a poor student of the game. Almost immediately some analysts came to his defense stating that while they still doubt his skills, they know he works hard and puts in the time.

Barkley twice in the lead up to the draft blamed Kiffin for his bad 2012. He even blamed a fumble on Kiffin during Gruden's show.

Too bad Nawrocki didn't have time to analyze Barkley in a similar critical manner...if only the Eagles knew before they picked him.

Geno seems almost doomed to failure in NY. Such an awful organization. I keep hearing how they didn't really plan on drafting QB, but that Geno was such a good value for them that they had to take him. I'm not sure you go BPA with a QB unless you have one already established

Yup. Geno is fucked from the start. The Nawrocki report and now playing for the Jets with the whole clown show there with Sanchez and Rex Ryan. Good luck kid. I don't think you go QB unless you firmly believe in him (like the Bills did) or unless you have absolutely nothing at the position (Eagles picking Barkley in the 4th cause hell why not?). Jets should have just played out this season with Sanchez since they can't cut him and then waiting to draft a QB next year. This current situation doesn't help Mark, Geno, or Rex. And whoever is the QB they still have no one to throw to.

Nawrocki redeemed

He was always going to be redeemed. Geno, just on his skills, stood very little chance of mirroring what guys like RG3 or Luck did. No one was high on him to begin with so he already would have had to outperform all expectations to even be considered successful. Its not like Nawrocki wrote something scathing about Luck or RG3 or about a guy who everyone and their mother had ranked as #1.

<3 wood

Time to pick him back up being as no one else seems to want him! It sucks watching your favorite players get old :/

In other news, Al Harris is going to retire a packer. <3 you too Al!

You are still in Houston? I thought you moved away

squicken

You are still in Houston? I thought you moved away

I grew up in Houston, went away for school and work for 15 years or so, then moved back. Job market is just too good here, or I'd definitely move elsewhere. Hate the weather and traffic and mosquitoes and Astros

Top Bottom