• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

bionic77

I dunno, somewhere between half a thread not being able to read a simple graph, yesterday's discussions in the Jason Collins thread and this gem today, I get the feeling that more and more time is spent looking for the nuggets of insight and entertainment between all the idiocy...

Of course I have a certain amount of hyperbolic/shit posts too, but somedays it's just too much.
That bad feeling you are getting is called your conscience. You probably never heard of it while following the Patriots because they don't believe in that kind of stuff.

If you really want to feel better I have a program to help Patriot fans such as yourself. It is pretty simple. Just bring a Brady jersey, some kerosene, matches, a metal tub and black and gold paint (to wash away the evil).

Godslay

Banned
Awesome reply, the main thought though behind keeping McGahee without being aware of his salary and how close the Broncos are to the cap is that we lost are main backs by the playoffs last year for the Ravens playoff game in both Mcgahee and Moreno was limited on time to Hillman. I just think that on that last drive before overtime if we were healthy on RB they would have been better. For the whole game for that matter, so perhaps, Mcgahee is the depth needed as insurance. Obviously, Manning did pretty awesome without a great back, but I cannot help thinking given the schedule they are already planning for the playoffs. I know the media is. :-D Montee should be limited of course, I as is why I think they will try to keep as much depth as possible. There is plenty of time to develop him into the system so hopefully he is more than a one trick runner. And yeah, I will not expect a Terrell Davis anything yet, Shanahan relied on the run so much more than this team ever would so of course TD's performance is way, way ahead than expectations. Once again, I have no clue on the financials.

Yeah, I don't know for certain. Anything can happen, we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Here's a good place that shows all contract obligations. Works for all teams so it's a good resource:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap-hit/

The 3D "deadzone" on the 3DSXL is almost worst than the original 3DS. Move the thing even slightly off axis and you get ghosting, double images etc. Just had to turn it off entirely after awhile as it was giving me a headache.

On the plus side, Luigi's Mansion is great! Luigi > Mario.

The 3D "deadzone" on the 3DSXL is almost worst than the original 3DS. Move the thing even slightly off axis and you get ghosting, double images etc. Just had to turn it off entirely after awhile as it was giving me a headache.

Yeah, I had a similar experience with the 3D when I made the switch to the XL. One thing that helped me (that is probably obvious to most people) was moving the system a little farther away from my face. I guess I was naturally holding it where I was used to holding the 3DS, but if you get a little farther from the screen it seems to help some with the 3D effect.

Fantomex

Yeah, I had a similar experience with the 3D when I made the switch to the XL. One thing that helped me (that is probably obvious to most people) was moving the system a little farther away from my face. I guess I was naturally holding it where I was used to holding the 3DS, but if you get a little farther from the screen it seems to help some with the 3D effect.

Y'all gotta give the Xl some room to breathe, get farther back yo!

th_1240479220_baby-reading.gif

bionic77

You should make a thread with that as the title in OT.
:lol

I already asked the mods to ban me when I had this avatar. I don't feel like asking a 2nd time by making that thread!

I don't have time for no Luigi, but everyone is saying it is great. Is it that much better than the GC game?

Also, Fire Emblem. If you are smart you will work your way up from the GBA games to the 3DS one. You are so lucky to get play them all for the first time!

Draxal

I don't have time for no Luigi, but everyone is saying it is great. Is it that much better than the GC game?

Also, Fire Emblem. If you are smart you will work your way up from the GBA games to the 3DS one. You are so lucky to get play them all for the first time!

It's longer then the first one. It doesn't have as many unique ghosts as the first game though (no portrait ghosts). The gameplay is mission based so you can replay the missions.

That's why I'm surprised everyone here is labeling the XL as a clearly superior version of the 3DS. My understanding is that it's not perfect by any means. Some image quality concerns.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That's why I'm surprised everyone here is labeling the XL as a clearly superior version of the 3DS. My understanding is that it's not perfect by any means. Some image quality concerns.

You get compromises with both systems. I find the original 3DS to be completely uncomfortable to hold. XL is definitely way better in that regard and the larger screens are worth the trade off in image quality.

KingGondo

Banned
I find that the 3D effect is better if it's only turned up between 1/2 and 3/4 on the slider.

Mario 3D Land is awesome, btw. I was bummed the game was over, but that was before dozens of bonus/challenge levels became unlocked.

Any opinions on NSMB 2? Heard mixed things.

bionic77

Best 3D effect is when it's set to off.
It is actually a cool effect, but so far I only use it on cutscenes and in 3D land.

I could not play Kid Icarus with it on. The game was confusing enough without it.

I did like the effect in Fire Emblem during the cutscenes (which were awesome with or without it).

Dragon

Banned
You are a European too?

Damn why are europeans so attracted to the Pats?

Being in Europe doesn't make me European. I swear so many people think all Americans carry guns in their backpocket and shoot it at shadows. It's like the UK stereotype about teeth, only that's actually true!

I dunno, somewhere between half a thread not being able to read a simple graph, yesterday's discussions in the Jason Collins thread and this gem today, I get the feeling that more and more time is spent looking for the nuggets of insight and entertainment between all the idiocy...

Of course I have a certain amount of hyperbolic/shit posts too, but somedays it's just too much.

I'm increasingly getting this feeling too. Gaming side's rampant console warrior mentality and/or insistence on Wario 64'ing every thread with the first post is maddening.

Off topic is no better, with everybody wanting to crucify every one else for having a slightly different opinion.

Draxal

I find that the 3D effect is better if it's only turned up between 1/2 and 3/4 on the slider.

Mario 3D Land is awesome, btw. I was bummed the game was over, but that was before dozens of bonus/challenge levels became unlocked.

Any opinions on NSMB 2? Heard mixed things.

3d Land shits on nsmb 2, but nsmb2 isn't a bad game, it's just very much a new super mario bros game which there have been too many recently.

NSMB2 and 3d land do share the same problem, the base game is really too easy and it doesn't get kinda hard until you beat the main game.

Dragon

Banned
I'm increasingly getting this feeling too. Gaming side's rampant console warrior mentality and/or insistence on Wario 64'ing every thread with the first post is maddening.

Off topic is no better, with everybody wanting to crucify every one else for having a slightly different opinion.

I actually can't stand that Wario64 shit. We all say one-liners at one point or another but I think everyone in this thread besides the lunchboxes of the world can still discuss something seriously if need be.

Chargers update:

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer 1h

Free-agent OT Bryant McKinnie says, via text, that he's taking a physical with the Chargers today. Which is another step in the process.

3d Land shits on nsmb 2, but nsmb2 isn't a bad game, it's just very much a new super mario bros game which there have been too many recently.

NSMB2 and 3d land do share the same problem, the base game is really too easy and it doesn't get kinda hard until you beat the main game.
Agreed. NSMB2 is a good game but you're liking of it is tied to how sick your are of the NSMB series. (I didn't finish the Wii U game cause I've had my fill of it to be frank)

3D Land is my favorite Mario game since Galaxy 2.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

The OT is too depressing for me half the time. I have a suspicion that a lot of posters enjoy being offended so that probably leads them to hyperbolic spirals to further galvanize their "offended-ness"....which in turn offends others.

Best thing anyone ever said on GAF was to get off the Internet and engage in discussion with real people because its almost always going to be more insightful and respectable.

And things aren't going to get easier for Germany. You are getting a small taste of the crap that Americans get to deal with when we go online.

KingGondo

Banned

I'll probably snag it cheap on Amazon Warehouse one of these days, definitely not paying full price for it though.

bionic77

Chargers update:

Agreed. NSMB2 is a good game but you're liking of it is tied to how sick your are of the NSMB series. (I didn't finish the Wii U game cause I've had my fill of it to be frank)

3D Land is my favorite Mario game since Galaxy 2.
It was a really good game, but it is nowhere near Galaxy's class IMHO. The Galaxy games are some of the greatest games ever made. You can't say that about most games, including 3D Land.

ChanHuk

Banned
PRAISE TEBOW THE SAVIOR!!!11111

He sacrificed his job so I can get a telephone interview, PRAISE HIM!!!111

And only Pats fan use the 3D feature of the 3DS.

Colasante

Patriots should trade for Kenny Britt. The Titans are obviously preparing for his departure next year by drafting Justin Hunter and Kendall Wright. Britt's a former Rutgers guy, which Belichick is obsessed with. Britt has a ton of headaches, but maybe the Patriots' locker room could fix him. If Patriots offered a 2014 4th, I think that could be a good deal for both teams.

Meh... Sherman was becoming a studly FB but Arians doesn't believe in them, is obsessed with TE's so he's being traded to Chiefs, not sure what we'll get back. Beanie was half productive if that when Sherman was out. Could have really helped our RB's but I guess that's Cooper's job now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
3D Land > Galaxy 1 & 2

Right now, I agree with this other than it takes forever to hit stuff that is anywhere near difficult in 3D Land. Galaxy 1 and 2 were perfectly balanced.

Once I'm done teaching for the year I'll be playing Galaxy 1 and 2 again straight through to properly judge.

Talon

So watching some plays from last year. Tony needs to be a coach when he retires. I know Marvin Harrison was the king of avoiding big hits, but Tony's right there. He just knows how to instinctively shift his body to be in a position where he takes glancing hits.

There were a few plays last year over the middle where the safety comes in like a missile, and you see Tony plant and then instinctively shift his weight a little to avoid the bulk of the hit.

Also, Tony Gonzalez's TDs against the Saints were both over Curtis.

I have no idea what the Buccaneers did on defense last year. So many plays where they rush 3 but have a defensive tackle play mid field. There was a big gain on 3rd down where one of their tackles was 20 yards downfield. Unsurprisingly, he had trouble covering Roddy White. I mean, go for it, Schiano. Keep on running that shit.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
It's the basketball player in Tony G that gives him those special abilities. Just imagine if he'd had a violent upbringing. The Failcons would probably actually win a title.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's the basketball player in Tony G that gives him those special abilities. Just imagine if he'd had a violent upbringing. The Failcons would probably actually win a title.

Did you know that Jimmy Graham was a basketball player?

Did you also know that Miami passed up Drew Breeeeeeesssss?

Drew Brees has a baby!

Katrina Katrina Katrina Katrina Katrina!

Talon

Did you know that Jimmy Graham was a basketball player?

Did you also know that Miami passed up Drew Breeeeeeesssss?

Drew Brees has a baby!

Katrina Katrina Katrina Katrina Katrina!
I HEARD JIMMY GRAHAM WAS BEATEN BY HIS MOTHER. IS THAT TRUE?

DID COLT MCCOY ROOM WITH HIS BEST FRIEND AND BUDDY AND PAL JORDAN SHIPLEY IN COLLEGE?

ALSO, DO YOU REMEMBER MAURICE CLARETT, A RUNNING BACK WHO PLAYED AT THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY?

MAURIE CLARETT WAS A HEISMAN CANDIDATE AT THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY.

Meh... Sherman was becoming a studly FB but Arians doesn't believe in them, is obsessed with TE's so he's being traded to Chiefs, not sure what we'll get back. Beanie was half productive if that when Sherman was out. Could have really helped our RB's but I guess that's Cooper's job now.

Adam Caplan says the rumor is that the Cardinals were targeting a CB in return, possibly Javier Arenas.

I don't know anything about Sherman outside of his PFF numbers, but I'd rather not lose Arenas. He's nothing amazing, but he's a good nickel corner, and played well in spot duty after the Chiefs cut Routt last year.

There's also the fact that the Chiefs just drafted a fullback. I dunno, Dave Toub probably likes him on ST.

cdyhybrid

I will not make
many
posts containing a simple :jnc just to pad my post count in an effort to win the posting title. Like Pete Carroll and the Seattle Seahawks, I believe in competing the right way, posting 100% naturally and respecting the integrity of the posting contest.

brentech

So watching some plays from last year. Tony needs to be a coach when he retires. I know Marvin Harrison was the king of avoiding big hits, but Tony's right there. He just knows how to instinctively shift his body to be in a position where he takes glancing hits.

That's the thing. It's instincts, and those usually can't be taught. Some guys just don't have what it takes.

squicken

There were a few plays last year over the middle where the safety comes in like a missile, and you see Tony plant and then instinctively shift his weight a little to avoid the bulk of the hit.
ng that shit.

I think some of those little subtle things that the great ones do just can't be taught. They somehow know where other people are in space and can avoid or hit them. I'm not sure it can be coached. Kind of like trying to teach a cornerback ball tracking skills. At some level it's just innate.

For a college example, one of the things I noticed about RG3, even at Baylor, was he took a lot of kill shots. It's like he didn't know or didn't care how close and lined up defenders were. But as I watch Austin, he never takes that big hit. It's like he knows just when to get out of bounds or turn away from the hit. Best guy ever at that was Barry Sanders

Top Bottom