• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Sad to see Buddy go, the guy gave me a shitload of laughs. Any Bills fan that truly follows knew this was coming, even though Nix was denying it as much as possible. He cleaned house last year, put new people in charge of running the scouting and personnel dept, and made a young guy AGM. Personally, I knew it would happen, it was clear as day.

Lets see what Whaley's got, he's one impressive dude when he sits down and talks players.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how Whaley does. Every time I've read interviews with him or listened to him, he seems to know his stuff.

But he can't be half as entertaining as dear ol' Buddy :)

I think Chip Kelly might run into an issue with his "everything fast" once he realizes he has some veterans on the team that probably won't or can't go that fast all the time.

The guys that wont, wont be around long term. Chip seems really dedicated to this stuff. I dont think he is going to compromise on this point.

squicken

I can definitely understand your excitement. I just thought the media was a little breathless for what wasn't a totally novel concept. It was like all the loud music at practice hurt their brains

I'm curious what the effects of running all the extra plays will be. That's more chance for injury for his own team over the course of the season. 19 year olds in college can hack that over fewer games, and if not, well Oregon had Nike money and a 4 deep depth chart. Saban has raised the point as well

I can say I have enjoyed CFB less in recent years with all the silly scores and no defense, which have coincided with the spread and up-tempo stuff. I hope the 40-35 games don't come to the NFL full time, though last year's playoffs were pretty high scoring

Kelly has been impressed with quarterback Matt Barkley's development.

"Really thought he picked things up quickly. He's an extremely hard-worker. He's here every morning at 6 AM working at whatever it is to work on," Kelly said. "I think he's got a great football background first and foremost. He started four years in high school. He started four years in college. That's rare. He's been through a lot. It showed up in interviews. He's got a lot of experience even though he's a rookie."

Kelly said that Barkley should come in with the mindset that he can win the starting job.

"I would hope anybody that came into this place isn't sitting here and saying, 'I think I'm going to be a good, solid backup,'" Kelly said. "I want our guys to come in here and show us everything they can do."

The guys that wont, wont be around long term. Chip seems really dedicated to this stuff. I dont think he is going to compromise on this point.
What I'm more curious about with Chip is whether or not the speed he is so adamant about will work in the NFL. It's been talked about to death but I still think it's the greatest question he has to answer --- how much of Oregon's success was due to having superior athletes relative to the majority of their opponents? That advantage won't be nearly as prevalent in the NFL. Obviously coaching style isn't really part of this analogy but just look at what the relatively level playing field did to Saban.

Like I said, it's been discussed to death, but I'm curious to see what the answer will be. Personally I'm on the fence but I'm at least a little skeptical.

That new Daft Punk album.

AnjrR.gif

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I can definitely understand your excitement. I just thought the media was a little breathless for what wasn't a totally novel concept. It was like all the loud music at practice hurt their brains

I'm curious what the effects of running all the extra plays will be. That's more chance for injury for his own team over the course of the season. 19 year olds in college can hack that over fewer games, and if not, well Oregon had Nike money and a 4 deep depth chart. Saban has raised the point as well

I can say I have enjoyed CFB less in recent years with all the silly scores and no defense, which have coincided with the spread and up-tempo stuff. I hope the 40-35 games don't come to the NFL full time, though last year's playoffs were pretty high scoring

Unfortunately, higher scoring games are more exciting. I enjoy a good defense but typically when I think about the best games ever played, there was a lot of scoring. The tensest moments of a football game are often in the fourth quarter when both the defenses are gassed and anything can happen.

I don't think many people watched that defensive slugfest of LSU vs. Alabama a few years back and thought it was very good.

squicken

Unfortunately, higher scoring games are more exciting. I enjoy a good defense but typically when I think about the best games ever played, there was a lot of scoring. The tensest moments of a football game are often in the fourth quarter when both the defenses are gassed and anything can happen.

I don't think many people watched that defensive slugfest of LSU vs. Alabama a few years back and thought it was very good.

I don't turn on CFB until the last five minutes. That's what too much offense does. I don't want an NFL with a meaningless 55 minutes

cdyhybrid

I don't think we'll see college style shootouts. Games might be higher scoring, especially because of the way recent rule changes have been, but defenses will adjust fairly quickly.

Not going to lie, as much as I love a good defense, the most fun game at the top of my head had to be when we bounced the Packers out of the first round. What a shoot out that was and Warner was out of this world. The way the game ended which ironically was a big play by the defense. Man, that game was amazing. As bad as Packer fans must have felt getting eliminated in the first round, they had to be really pleased and optimistic about a future with Rodgers at that point.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don't turn on CFB until the last five minutes. That's what too much offense does. I don't want an NFL with a meaningless 55 minutes

It wouldn't happen since the way the game is played is mostly a response to the quality of players and coaching at that level. The spread offense works great when the opposing defense is slow as molasses, it takes four guys to tackle a running back, and the plays develop slowly.

Meanwhile in the NFL, the defensive linemen are often as fast as most quarterbacks and linebackers are an inhuman combination of speed and strength. It's usually just not as possible to have the high scoring games. I also tend to think of a high scoring game as being something like 41-38. I've seen way too many games with points in the 60s and 70s in college lately which is basically just basketball at that point.

cdyhybrid

It wouldn't happen since the way the game is played is mostly a response to the quality of players and coaching at that level. The spread offense works great when the opposing defense is slow as molasses, it takes four guys to tackle a running back, and the plays develop slowly.

Meanwhile in the NFL, the defensive linemen are often as fast as most quarterbacks and linebackers are an inhuman combination of speed and strength. It's usually just not as possible to have the high scoring games. I also tend to think of a high scoring game as being something like 41-38. I've seen way too many games with points in the 60s and 70s in college lately which is basically just basketball at that point.

Great post. There are maybe 5 actually good defenses in college in a season. Most teams aren't swimming in elite athletes like the Bamas of the world, and they usually put their most gifted athletes on offense.

Great post. There are maybe 5 actually good defenses in college in a season. Most teams aren't swimming in elite athletes like the Bamas of the world, and they usually put their most gifted athletes on offense.
I remember when Virginia Tech used to be known for their incredible defense. Back in '06 they gave up an average of 9.3 points per game (first in the country). Those were the days!

ChanHuk

Banned
I know this isn't NCAA GAF, but anybody else excited to see Barry Sanders Jr. play at Stanford this year? He probably won't be anywhere as good as his pops, but if he knows how to dislocate his ankles on command like his pops.........

Wow...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...0130513_1_gabe-carimi-earl-bennett-phil-emery

Gabe Carimi: Forget battling for a starting job right now, the 2011 first-round draft pick faces competition for a roster spot. The Bears essentially have made right tackle a battle between J'Marcus Webb and Jonathan Scott, a non-flashy veteran who impressed the front office last season. The loser between Webb and Scott could wind up as the swing tackle. The Bears envision free-agent addition Matt Slauson and first-round pick Kyle Long playing guard. While that is far from settled, it could put Carimi in a battle for a backup job at guard with James Brown, an undrafted free agent last year, and journeyman Edwin Williams, whose ability to play center is an asset for a team without a clear reserve behind Roberto Garza.

At this time last year the Bears were counting on Carimi returning at top form at right tackle after knee surgery and now the future of the lone remaining first-round pick made by former general manager Jerry Angelo is in question. Carimi's ability to play tackle is a plus, but he'll likely have to make a mark on the interior in training camp.

Did Carimi end up being that bad? I don't watch enough of the Bears to know.

Talon

The Bears: The only team in the league where J'Marcus Webb and Jonathan Scott would BOTH be on the roster.

And that's not even including Jermaine 'Turnstyle' Bushrod being the "big" FA signing.

U2NUMB

2 hours away from finding out what the vikings stadium will look like.. pumped to see what they have come up with. Here are some tweets of a guy who has seen it.

"Keith Leventhal‏@KeithLeventhal13m
Just caught a glimpse of the new #Vikings stadium. Wow. Never seen anything like that before."

Andrew Ren‏@InfraRen12m
@KeithLeventhal you like?

Keith Leventhal‏@KeithLeventhal8m
@InfraRen I really do. Very neat design

Keith Leventhal‏@KeithLeventhal1m
Ive seen it...Thats all I can say :) RT @daveberggren Stadium source: "MN feel" has "something to with the river" sounds intriguing

cdyhybrid

2 hours away from finding out what the vikings stadium will look like.. pumped to see what they have come up with. Here are some tweets of a guy who has seen it.

Just caught a glimpse of the new #Vikings stadium. Wow. Never seen anything like that before."

Andrew Ren‏@InfraRen12m

Ive seen it...Thats all I can say :) RT @daveberggren Stadium source: "MN feel" has "something to with the river" sounds intriguing

It's underwater to symbolize Minnesotans drowning themselves in booze.

Andrew Ren‏@InfraRen12m

Will they also unveal the statue of the greatest Viking ever? And will Brent be there for the ceremony?

effzee

Not that it will make any tangible difference (IMO) but Vick is significantly bigger (muscle) and McCoy has come to camp slimmer. He admitted last year he was bigger than he should have been.

Slim McCoy and Muscular Vick.

Also

Matthew Barkley ‏@MattBarkley 42m

I prefer Batt Markley RT @PhillyFanpage: @MattBarkley Can you change your name to Mark Battley?

Ha Shady has been callin me Matt since the beginning! Guess he knows how to work the media and make a headline..

Fox318

2010 really was my favorite football season of all time. I can't imagine a better string of events for Packer fans except for maybe beating the Patriots instead of the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

It should have been a Jets-Packers Super Bowl

Top Bottom