• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Cheaters Cheat.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
packersrefpush.gif

Got called by a recruiter for a trading firm where I had this thing last year if I'm on campus this afternoon to have a cup of coffee.

Hype?

bionic77

You see this on that URL?
deppaws era stats

What does it spell out backwards?
Stats are swapped, I put it in there so you would quote it and know that I didn't go back and alter my post.

I swapped those stats because I knew you would go down this road.

Tom Brady's stats listed in my post are actually Manning's Colts v. Bears stats.
Peyton Manning's stats are actually Tom Brady's from Pats v. Rams.

Thanks for making the argument for me.
Holy shit.

I need to remember this trick the next time I am arguing with a Jordaphile. I will just switch MJs stats with Jud Buechlers and trap them!

I feel like we don't celebrate Sara Underwood enough
Also Dibs
Who is this person?

Cam is special, I much rather pay him than Tannehill (Sorry Darkest Dad)
Cam is a better athlete but I'm not sure he'll end up a better QB. Last season Tannehill had 4,045 yards and a 66.4% completion percentage to Cam's 3,127 and 58.5% (ouch). Tannehill also had a QB rating that was more than 10 points higher. Tannehill had 27 TD's to Cam's 18 (include rushing TD's and it's 28 to 23).

Most importantly, I think we know exactly what Cam Newton is. He can still improve in some ways (particularly passing accuracy) but he seems to be near his ceiling. Tannehill is still on his way.

Cam is a better athlete but I'm not sure he'll end up a better QB. Last season Tannehill had 4,045 yards and a 66.4% completion percentage to Cam's 3,127 and 58.5% (ouch). Tannehill also had a QB rating that was more than 10 points higher. Tannehill had 27 TD's to Cam's 18 (include rushing TD's and it's 28 to 23).

Most importantly, I think we know exactly what Cam Newton is. He can still improve in some ways (particularly passing accuracy) but he seems to be near his ceiling. Tannehill is still on his way.

This would have to be the year for Tanny to actually start impressing people then. He has the weapons on offense, a good defense that can help him with field position and the Pats are a mess.

He needs to be win the East this year to be considered anything above Dalton level.

This would have to be the year for Tanny to actually start impressing people then. He has the weapons on offense, a good defense that can help him with field position and the Pats are a mess.

He needs to be win the East this year to be considered anything above Dalton level.
I know everyone just thinks it's an excuse but you can't overlook the importance of the o-line. Tannehill is the most sacked QB since coming into the league and the majority are not his fault, linemen just lose 1 on 1's all the time. It's amazing that he's been able to put up even decent numbers in that situation.

If the o-line can just be average I think Tannehill will have a great year. You are right about the weapons, this is the best group he's had to work with by far, at least on paper.

EDIT: Also, let's not forget this is a team game. Brady doesn't go anywhere last year without Revis and co.

bionic77

I know everyone just thinks it's an excuse but you can't overlook the importance of the o-line. Tannehill is the most sacked QB since coming into the league and the majority are not his fault, linemen just lose 1 on 1's all the time. It's amazing that he's been able to put up even decent numbers in that situation.

If the o-line can just be average I think Tannehill will have a great year. You are right about the weapons, this is the best group he's had to work with by far, at least on paper.

EDIT: Also, let's not forget this is a team game. Brady doesn't go anywhere last year without Revis and co.
Brady is a total fraud.

He never had to play with a horrible offensive line for more than 3 games. He always got to play within a system that can hide all of his weaknesses (of which there are many). And as you point out when he actually *won* anything it was always behind a very good to great defense.

Coaching is still the most important thing in the NFL. You can win without a qb (very hard to win a SB though, but possible) but you cannot win for very long without a good coach. Ask FMT.

Crisco

Banned
People really don't appreciate how much shit Cam had to deal with in 2014. Injuries, receiver turnover, a Canadian left tackle, oh yes, the night was dark and full of terrors. He missed 2 whole games against the worst team on our schedule but people still like to compare his 2014 numbers vs QBs who played all 16 games.

Brady is a total fraud.

He never had to play with a horrible offensive line for more than 3 games. He always got to play within a system that can hide all of his weaknesses (of which there are many). And as you point out when he actually *won* anything it was always behind a very good to great defense.

Coaching is still the most important thing in the NFL. You can win without a qb (very hard to win a SB though, but possible) but you cannot win for very long without a good coach. Ask FMT.
Agreed on all counts!

People really don't appreciate how much shit Cam had to deal with in 2014. Injuries, receiver turnover, a Canadian left tackle, oh yes, the night was dark and full of terrors. He missed 2 whole games against the worst team on our schedule but people still like to compare his 2014 numbers vs QBs who played all 16 games.
That's a fair point, let's compare Cam's third year stats to Tannehill's:

RT: 66.4%, 4,045 yards, 27/12 TD/INT, 92.8 PR, 311 rushing yards, 1 rushing TD.
CN: 61.7%, 3,379 yards, 24/13 TD/INT, 88.8 PR, 585 rushing yards, 6 rushing TD.

So Cam was worse at everything related to passing.

I am fine with someone taking Cam over RT but let's not pretend like the opposite opinion is crazy. To be honest I kind of feel like the Dolphins and Panthers are in a similar spot in a number of ways.

eznark

Banned
So Cam's actual guarantee is $30, and they get to control him for another 5 years. Nice deal for Carolina. Don't love that they spread the signing bonus over 4 years though. That's a long time and adds some level of commitment to him.

edit: oh I guess you can't monkey with signing bonuses anymore. Lame!

Bowser

So Cam's actual guarantee is $30, and they get to control him for another 5 years. Nice deal for Carolina. Don't love that they spread the signing bonus over 4 years though. That's a long time and adds some level of commitment to him.

edit: oh I guess you can't monkey with signing bonuses anymore. Lame!

$31m fully guaranteed which gets paid out this year, pretty nice. Although for all intents and purposes the Panthers are keeping him this season and next so he'll see AT LEAST $54m of that contract.

Some details:

Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel 2h2 hours ago
Cam Newton's 3 year cash flow is $67.666M. He's getting $68M in the 1st 3 new years. That's a different metric from 3 year cash flow.

Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel 2h2 hours ago
Cam Newton's 3 year cash flow of $67.666M suggests he would have gotten exclusive franchise tags by playing out his rookie deal.

Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel 1h1 hour ago
Cam Newton's 2015-2020 salary cap numbers are $13M, $19.5M, $20.166M, $21.5M, $23.2M & $21.1M.

Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel 46m46 minutes ago
There's a $10M option bonus in 2016 & corresponding $10M non-exercise fee with the option.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 30m30 minutes ago
Per source, the full guarantee on Panthers QB Cam Newton's five-year extension is $31 million. The injury guarantee is $60 million.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 29m29 minutes ago
Cam Newton gets $31 million in Year 1, $54 million over the first two years of the deal, and $67.7 million over the first three years.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 28m28 minutes ago
Cam Newton's three-year cashflow of $67.7M is actually second in NFL history. Peyton Manning's 2011 Colts deal had a 3-year take of $70.2M.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 26m26 minutes ago
As for what Newton gets now: $22.5 million to sign, and a $7.5 million roster bonus later this week. $1 million base for '15.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 13m13 minutes ago
Cam Newton and Matt Ryan's contracts are similar. Same APY. Ryan has bigger full guarantee ($42M-$31M); Newton better 3-year ($67.7M-$63M).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

You thought it was gonna wear off. I love living here. It's great being able to just travel and to do so cheaply.

You banged your head? Again? Dammit...

Bro, I lived in America for 34 years. It's home, but I'm loving all the different things out here. It's great getting to explore different things that I haven't seen before. I have been in every state in America except Alaska, Oregon and Washington. I know everything there is to know about the States, except for why Gata is allowed to roam free.

You thought it was gonna wear off. I love living here. It's great being able to just travel and to do so cheaply.

Bro, I lived in America for 34 years. It's home, but I'm loving all the different things out here. It's great getting to explore different things that I haven't seen before. I have been in every state in America except Alaska, Oregon and Washington. I know everything there is to know about the States, except for why Gata is allowed to roam free.
Traitor

Hammer24

Banned

I guess I´m just bitter as I just celebrated a very sad anniversary - twenty years of unsuccessfully partaking in the green card lottery...

zychi

Banned
Fallout 4 looks cool. Shame itll be a bug riddle broken mess on consoles, and have to wait a month on pc for modders to fix it, assuming bethesda doesnt charge people for mods like they tried to on steam.

Amazing how quickly the gaming world forgets.

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 13m13 minutes ago
The cap has gone from $123m to $143m the past 2 years. Should be $150+ next year. 23.2m being biggest cap number in [Cam Newton] deal should work for CAR

Fallout 4 looks cool. Shame itll be a bug riddle broken mess on consoles, and have to wait a month on pc for modders to fix it, assuming bethesda doesnt charge people for mods like they tried to on steam.

Amazing how quickly the gaming world forgets.

Forgets is the wrong word, doesnt give a fuck is much more accurate. Nobody cares that a company tried to do something shitty, but then didnt. Fallout 3 was great, and this looks like it will be good as well.

Bowser

Good point here regarding these QB "mega deals":

The cap has gone from $123m to $143m the past 2 years. Should be $150+ next year. 23.2m being biggest cap number in deal should work for CAR

edit: ugh fuck off Grover bro :p

zychi

Banned
Forgets is the wrong word, doesnt give a fuck is much more accurate. Nobody cares that a company tried to do something shitty, but then didnt. Fallout 3 was great, and this looks like it will be good as well.
They care when its EA or Ubisoft or Microsoft.

eznark

Banned
Good point here regarding these QB "mega deals":

The cap has gone from $123m to $143m the past 2 years. Should be $150+ next year. 23.2m being biggest cap number in deal should work for CAR

Yep, I actually thought they should give him a bigger 2015 roster bonus so that the signing bonus (spread over 4 years) would be smaller

Fox318

I love that there really haven't been that many console games released since so many games go pushed back and now people realize that both the Xbox One and PS4 are so incredibly under-powered compared to what the 360 was at the time.

Top Bottom