• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Cheaters Cheat.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
tempIMG_1098--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

s50yprd.gif

Colasante

My perspective on the entire situation is that $1M fine, 4 lost games of Tom Brady, a 1st round pick and a 4th round would be worth it if this leads to Goodell being fired. The Patriots are willing to die for your sins.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
My perspective on the entire situation is that $1M fine, 4 lost games of Tom Brady, a 1st round pick and a 4th round would be worth it if this leads to Goodell being fired. The Patriots are willing to die for your sins.

Dude, Kraft + Brady losing the appeals AND Goodell getting fired? I couldn't dream of happier days.

Bill Simmons is looking for a new job...

JABEE

The Pats get banished from the league and Goodell gets fired?

I'm good with that outcome.

Draxal

They ain't firing Goodell, he destroyed the NFLPA and that's all the owners care about. People are overstating the importance of Kraft in ownership circles, there's alot of influential owners (Rooney/Mara/Hunts/Halas-McClaskey) and that's not including the mavericks like Jones/Davis and Snyder.

Godslay

Banned

If Goodell didn't get shit canned over Rice, he's not going to get canned due to a whiny owner.

31 other owners won't want the force disturbed. Goodell is doing a good enough job making them happy.

Would we all like to see Roger leave? Sure. Will it happen over this? I highly doubt it.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Ameer Abdullah: I’m an every-down back

The Lions came into the draft with designs on improving their running game and followed through on them by drafting guard Laken Tomlinson in the first round, running back Ameer Abdullah in the second and fullback Michael Burton in the fifth round.

Tomlinson has a clear path to a starting job from the first week of the season and Burton should have every chance at the same. Abdullah, meanwhile, joins Joique Bell and Theo Riddick in the mix for snaps in a backfield that could split the work into situational roles.

Abdullah is making a bid for more than that, though.

“I’m going to do whatever they ask me to do, but I think I’m an every-down back,” Abdullah said, via the Omaha World-Herald. “A lot of guys want to put me in the category of third-down back. For those who say that, I ask them to turn on my film. I’ve never been that kind of player. I’ve never been a person who is just serviceable, who catches the ball out of the backfield, which I can do and I feel I can do really well. But I can do a lot of things on first or second down as well, in my opinion.”

Abdullah isn’t the biggest back, but he showed he could move the ball inside and outside while at Nebraska. Riddick has been used almost exclusively in the passing game and Bell is coming off a pair of clean-up surgeries after failing to crack four yards a carry in either of the last two seasons, which leaves a sizable opening for Abdullah to run through early in his Lions career.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/07/ameer-abdullah-im-an-every-down-back/

I'm hyped to watch Ameer play. Guy is a locker room leader by all accounts but I think he's going to fill that 15-20 snap home run hitting void Jahvid Best left when he was hurt. Granted we have Theo Riddick but I still love the added depth.

Oh you wanted to double team Megatron? That's cool we have Golden Tate III in single coverage burning your DB.

That doesn't work out? Eric Ebron is one on one in the middle of the field wide open against your slow LB.

Oh yeah and we have Ameer Abdullah as a check down option.

FluffyWelllitAlligatorsnappingturtle.gif

*Phew*

Restore the Roar

Why would Goodell be fired?

I mean I'm all for it, but do we see here that ultimately leads to that?

Someone legitimately thought the Patriots would sue and win over this

He didn't get fired over the domestic violence stuff, he won't over this. The NFL didn't lose against hundreds of players alive and dead due to concussions, they won't against a team from Boston.

Why would Goodell be fired?

I mean I'm all for it, but do we see here that ultimately leads to that?
Yeah lol, of all things why would this cause rog to get fired.

He survived that whole Ray Rice situation, but punishing the pats is the thing that'll get him fired.

Colasante

If Goodell didn't get shit canned over Rice, he's not going to get canned due to a whiny owner.

31 other owners won't want the force disturbed. Goodell is doing a good enough job making them happy.

Would we all like to see Roger leave? Sure. Will it happen over this? I highly doubt it.

I don't think he'll be fired over this. I'm sure the majority of owners are happy about this. But this is Goodell putting on his big boy pants and taking on one of the most powerful owners, and one of the owners who has been instrumental in his rise to power. Goodell has lost Kraft as an ally. Maybe he beat the concussion issue and the domestic violence issue, but it's Goodell's NFL, there will be another issue, and he'll have considerably less support behind him. So while this certainly won't be the end, I think we'll eventually look back at this as the turn that led to his downfall.

Duxxy3

Someone legitimately thought the Patriots would sue and win over this

He didn't get fired over the domestic violence stuff, he won't over this. The NFL didn't lose against hundreds of players alive and dead due to concussions, they won't against a team from Boston.

He didn't get fired because a certain owner from the boston area had his back. The CBA was done because of Kraft. Same deal with the referees.

After the next NFL disaster (and you know there will be one) don't be surprised if there's a certain someone not standing behind Goodell. Corrupt as that probably is.

Kraft isn't some god, the Maras and Rooneys every bit as much political clout over the league.

Besides, he'll get to keep his SB ring (officially), what's he got to bitch about? His team cheated and got caught.

effzee

I don't think he'll be fired over this. I'm sure the majority of owners are happy about this. But this is Goodell putting on his big boy pants and taking on one of the most powerful owners, and one of the owners who has been instrumental in his rise to power. Goodell has lost Kraft as an ally. Maybe he beat the concussion issue and the domestic violence issue, but it's Goodell's NFL, there will be another issue, and he'll have considerably less support behind him. So while this certainly won't be the end, I think we'll eventually look back at this as the turn that led to his downfall.

If Goodell didn't' lose Kraft's support for Spygate why would he now?

At the end of the day Pats won the SB* and Kraft is going to continue to make millions from how well the league is run from a revenue pov.

I personally don't care whether he stay or not. Nothing he does distracts my joy from watching and following the sport. The off the field BS bothers me most when I saw the law do nothing.

Godslay

Banned

Goodell's greatest ally is money. The day he starts losing money or growth stagnates, the clock will start to tick.

Scandals like this get glossed over if the game continues to grow and increase in revenue. Kraft is powerful, but he's one among 31. If he (Kraft) starts to be a pain in the ass, they'll find a way to shut him down.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Sad thing is, after watching Adam Silver take over the NBA, I have much higher expectations for commissioners. Imagine a Silver-ish commissioner in the NFL.

cdyhybrid

No, but don't be dumb and downplay how important, and active, he has been.

Yes you are, if you think Goodell is getting fired over this. There are 31 other owners eating good right now with Goodell in charge, including owners as influential as, or more influential than Kraft. Roger isn't getting fired over this.

Draxal

Yes you are, if you think Goodell is getting fired over this. There are 31 other owners eating good right now with Goodell in charge, including owners as influential as, or more influential than Kraft. Roger isn't getting fired over this.

Pretty much Goodell got the approval from all the silent partners when doing this, just like he did when he nailed the Skins/Cowboys in 2012.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Sad thing is, after watching Adam Silver take over the NBA, I have much higher expectations for commissioners. Imagine a Silver-ish commissioner in the NFL.

I don't know why people think Roger Goddell is some authortian dictator. Every move Roger has made/makes has to go through the owners.

He has always been a puppet of the owners collecting a nice $40 Mil a year paycheck whereas David Stern ruled (and still does) the NBA with an iron fist. Stern had to go through the owners as well but Stern had far more power when it came to calling his own shots.

Duxxy3

We'll see. When Goodell fucks up handling another disaster, we'll see who is standing behind him.

Top Bottom