• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Then you have the depressing Thursday night games like Bills/Dolphins where it feels like you're talking to yourself.

:(

No way, even when it's shit Thursday night games the majority of us still come out to either laugh at the teams or shit on the fanbase.

I remember last year during the Browns/Ravens game it started off as everyone shitting on Browns-GAF and ended with everyone saying "okay the Browns aren't THAT bad".

That is what I call "progression".

Plus Thursday night games are great times for us all to see shit teams we'd never watch and really understand if they are truly shitty or just suffering from bad coaching or one or two really bad players.

squicken

It's funny that nobody noticed or cared about Schaub until recently, and now people are realizing how mediocre he is.

God damn Schoob was a big part of my team switching. I just couldn't stand another year of he and Kubiak, let alone 5. Lions fans whine about Stafford wasting Calvin Johnson's career, and that is the way I feel about Carr and Schaub. Dre is a Hall of Famer and I really worry he won't get in b/c people will bitch about his TD totals, not doing their homework to see Schaub underthrows 5 easy TDs a year

edit:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Holy cow. The #Texans announced "themes" for their 2013 home games. For the #Patriots game? Homecoming! Letterman jackets NOT optional

Jesus fuck what a bunch of dumbasses

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
This thread pretty much turns into an unreadable liveblog during games.

You're an unreadable liveblog!

But really are you shocked? You have about 3-4 games going on at the same time on Sunday. Things don't get "coherent" really until Sunday night and Monday night when the focus is only on one game.

Besides I dare you to go look at the historic thread where buttfumble happened. That was beauty. I think it spanned 2 or 3 pages (50ppp) of :lol and :jnc and whatever else.

squicken

Date Opponent Time (CT) Theme
Sat., Aug. 17 Miami Dolphins 7 p.m. Texans Care
Sun., Aug. 25 New Orleans Saints 3:00 p.m. State of Football presented by Verizon
Sun., Sept. 15 Tennessee Titans Noon Liberty White Out presented by BHP Billiton
Sun., Sept. 29 Seattle Seahawks Noon Hispanic Heritage Day presented by XFINITY
Sun., Oct. 13 St. Louis Rams Noon Pink Ribbon Day presented by Kroger
Sun., Nov. 3 Indianapolis Colts 7:30 p.m. Battle Red Day presented by Halliburton
Sun., Nov. 17 Oakland Raiders Noon Salute to Service presented by Bud Light
Sun., Nov. 24 Jacksonville Jaguars Noon Deep Steel Sunday presented by Hyundai
Sun., Dec. 1 New England Patriots 3:25 p.m. Homecoming
Sun., Dec. 22 Denver Broncos Noon Fan Appreciation Day presented by FS Southwest

More ad money, except for the Pats. They never learn

So pre-training camp team evaluations. I'm thinking the goal here is to do a short recap of what your individual team has done in the Offseason including highlighting some important FA signings, in-house resignings, draft choices and then give an assessment of the teams strengths and weaknesses.

We can do another "final" evaluation after the third or fourth preseason game for each team prior to the start of the season to see if needs/strengths/weaknesses have evolved.

I'm thinking this format as an (incomplete) example

Team: NY Giants
Resigned: Victor Cruz, Kevin Boothe
Top FA signings: Cullen Jenkins
Draft Recap: Justin Pugh (RD1), Jonathon Hankins (RD2)

Team Strengths: Blah blah blah blah

Team Weaknesses: Blah blah blah blah

Primary Area of Need: Blah blah blah blah

Start date would be either tomorrow or Thursday.

Thoughts? Feedback? Anything you think should be added?

squicken

jaws-7-16ehsyv.jpg

Jaws' updated list with all the transcripts at the link below. Not sure how Ben is better than Eli if he can't play more than 12 games a year anymore

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2013/07/2013-jaws-qb-countdown/

squicken

So pre-training camp team evaluations. I'm thinking the goal here is to do a short recap of what your individual team has done in the Offseason including highlighting some important FA signings, in-house resignings, draft choices and then give an assessment of the teams strengths and weaknesses.

We can do another "final" evaluation after the third or fourth preseason game for each team prior to the start of the season to see if needs/strengths/weaknesses have evolved.

I'm thinking this format as an (incomplete) example

Start date would be either tomorrow or Thursday.

Thoughts? Feedback? Anything you think should be added?

I was kind of thinking we could do a team or two a day. Kind of catch everyone up on what's been going on with lesser known teams.

Shagwell

You're an unreadable liveblog!

But really are you shocked? You have about 3-4 games going on at the same time on Sunday. Things don't get "coherent" really until Sunday night and Monday night when the focus is only on one game.

Besides I dare you to go look at the historic thread where buttfumble happened. That was beauty. I think it spanned 2 or 3 pages (50ppp) of :lol and :jnc and whatever else.

The butt fumble has got to be one of my favourite football moments ever. Although I still have no idea what the fuck :jnc means

cdyhybrid

Team: Seahawks

Team Strengths: Power running game, secondary, dynamic young QB, receivers

Team Weaknesses: Pass rush questions, slow starts

Primary Area of Need: Pass rush needs to be much improved, and that need is reflected in the trio of defensive linemen they signed as FAs - Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett from TB, and Tony McDaniel - and the two draft picks they made in Jesse Williams out of Alabama and Jordan Hill. Additionally, Pete needs to figure out how to get his team properly focused to start games, they were bailed out many times last year by Russell's late game heroics. Unfortunately, it came back to bite them in a few games (including the season-ending loss to the Falcons in the divisional round of the playoffs) when the hole was just too deep for Russell to dig them out.

bionic77

No way, even when it's shit Thursday night games the majority of us still come out to either laugh at the teams or shit on the fanbase.

I remember last year during the Browns/Ravens game it started off as everyone shitting on Browns-GAF and ended with everyone saying "okay the Browns aren't THAT bad".

That is what I call "progression".

Plus Thursday night games are great times for us all to see shit teams we'd never watch and really understand if they are truly shitty or just suffering from bad coaching or one or two really bad players.
Ben always seems to get hurt against a Garbo team on Thursday or Monday night.

I dread those games now.

eznark

Banned
“Where we are, he definitely would be the missing piece,” Lions guard Rob Sims said after the signing of Reggie Bush. “With our aerial attack, and he can catch the ball the way he can out of the backfield and some of the other running-game stuff we got in place, I think it’s tailor-made for him.” Yes, if only the Lions had a back last year who was good at catching the football...
Bell is not Bush. Bush will split out wide, which adds some new dimensions to the offense, and Bush is a more dynamic open-field runner—though that doesn’t necessarily make him a better runner. Bell also spent two years on practice squads or playing only special teams and has to be viewed through the scope of a possible regression. Still, Bell is the Coke Zero to Reggie’s
regular: not much taste difference, much less of a carb load on the salary cap.

LoLions

I'm skipping the PDF version of the almanac this year because the cover of the physical one is just SO FUCKING COOL.

FOA2013-cover-155.jpg

Team: Seahawks

Team Strengths: Power running game, secondary, dynamic young QB, receivers

Team Weaknesses: Pass rush questions, slow starts

Primary Area of Need: Pass rush needs to be much improved, and that need is reflected in the trio of defensive linemen they signed as FAs and the two draft picks they made in Jesse Williams out of Alabama and Jordan Hill. Additionally, Pete needs to figure out how to get his team properly focused to start games, they were bailed out many times last year by Russell's late game heroics. Unfortunately, it came back to bite them in a few games (including the season-ending loss to the Falcons in the divisional round of the playoffs) when the hole was just too deep for Russell to dig them out.
...and this is exactly why I'd like to keep the FA signings and draft. I have no clue who you're talking about because I don't follow the Seahawks at all.;) I don''t think folks will automatically know who was signed where for smaller teams, etc.

I'll defer to you guys on that though. If the majority feels it's not needed, so be it.

cdyhybrid

...and this is exactly why I'd like to keep the FA signings and draft. I have no clue who you're talking about because I don't follow the Seahawks at all.;) I don''t think folks will automatically know who was signed where for smaller teams, etc.

I'll defer to you guys on that though. If the majority feels it's not needed, so be it.

I edited them in ;) Maybe we can bring them up in the exposition section if they're relevant, but leave them out otherwise?

cdyhybrid

Rewatches first half of Packers game.

:(

Consistency is one of the improvements that needs to be made :p They had good games like that one, but they just completely disappeared in others. And they depended almost entirely on two guys (Clemons and Irvin). We may blitz a little more with our new DC and the addition of Antoine Winfield, too.

LJ11

Like this idea. Let me take a crack at it.

Team: Bills

Team Strengths: None

Team Weaknesses: Not enough time to list them all.

Projection: Superbowl Champs
in the GAF Madden League

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hall of Fame takes down Aaron Hernandez photo:

The Pro Football Hall of Fame has become the latest entity to publicly distance itself from Aaron Hernandez.

The Plain Dealer reported Saturday the Hall of Fame has removed a photo of the former New England Patriots tight end after multiple visitors to the Canton, Ohio, museum complained of its presence.

The photo -- which depicted Hernandez skipping into the end zone for a touchdown against the Green Bay Packers in 2010 -- was the winning image in a Hall of Fame photo contest.

"In the spirit of good taste we thought we'd take it down," said Joe Horrigan, the Hall's vice president of communication and exhibits.

The Patriots released Hernandez on June 26, the day he was arrested and charged with first-degree murder of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd. Hernandez also faces five gun-related charges. He has pleaded not guilty.

Last weekend, the Patriots took the unique step of offering fans the opportunity to exchange their Hernandez jerseys for another team jersey. In addition to losing his NFL work, Hernandez was dropped as a pitch man by sports nutrition company Cytosport and athletic gear company Puma.

Now Canton has washed its hands of Hernandez as well.

LJ11

Lets just pretend Hernandez never existed even though he'll mentioned repeatedly every time the Pats play in prime time.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Seriously hoping the NFL replaces him with a dark silhouette so he really can be ***** ******.

So all previous game footage would just have this dark blob running around the field? Or maybe they could just replace him with generic Madden created character.

MechDX

God damn Schoob was a big part of my team switching. I just couldn't stand another year of he and Kubiak, let alone 5. Lions fans whine about Stafford wasting Calvin Johnson's career, and that is the way I feel about Carr and Schaub. Dre is a Hall of Famer and I really worry he won't get in b/c people will bitch about his TD totals, not doing their homework to see Schaub underthrows 5 easy TDs a year

edit:

Jesus fuck what a bunch of dumbasses

In the Texans defense they do themes for each game every year. One of them always being a "homecoming" game where old, retired players are honorary captains. The dumb jackets last year was all on the players and Barwin/Cody in particular.

It was pretty dumb to pick the Pats game for that theme though. Doesn't matter, that late in the season the Pats will be on the losing side waiting for the season to end and all the bandwagoners will have disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom