• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Detroit Lions Quarterback Matthew Stafford Ranked No. 16 on Jaws’ QB Countdown

Jaworski ranks Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford at No. 16. Transcribed analysis:

“Last year I took much criticism for ranking Matthew Stafford 14th on my big board. Well, after a very uneven 2012 season, Stafford has dropped this year. He comes in at No. 16. A supremely-talented thrower still searching for the consistency needed to become elite.

“No quarterback has thrown more passes the last two seasons than Stafford. He’s a shotgun passer. Eighty-three percent of his throws in 2011 and 2012 have come out of the shotgun. That’s the largest percentage by a wide margin. I’ve always loved Stafford’s willingness to pull the trigger. He’s aggressive, with an attacking mentality.

“It reminds me of when I played with Dan Marino. Marino said if you see the back of a defender’s jersey, you turn it loose. Stafford has that mindset. Of course, it doesn’t hurt when you’re throwing to Calvin Johnson; a lot of trust there, a lot of confidence that he will make contested catches. I felt the same way when I threw to six-foot-eight-inch Harold Carmichael.

“What stood out studying Stafford was he was not as efficient under center as he was in the shotgun. He seemed to struggle to read coverage as effectively. Too many forced throws. Overall, he just threw too many passes with poor balance and bad footwork, with a tendency to fall away from the throws.

“There is absolutely no question that Stafford is a very special arm talent. There are not many that throw it like he does. He has a chance to be a top 10 quarterback. The Lions may disagree, but he needs more consistent mechanics to play at a higher level week in and week out.”

Sounds right. This is Stafford's put-up-or-shut-up year. I'm concerned about the WR depth but at the same time: elite QBs make WRs. Eli, Brady, Manning, etc made a lot of under the radar WRs rich. It's time for Stafford to find his Victor Cruz, or whoever. Having Megatron and Bush should open opportunities for a lot of guys, including Broyles in the slot.

I don't want 5k more yards of garbage time heroics.

Sounds right. This is Stafford's put-up-or-shut-up year. I'm concerned about the WR depth but at the same time: elite QBs make WRs. Eli, Brady, Manning, etc made a lot of under the radar WRs rich. It's time for Stafford to find his Victor Cruz, or whoever. Having Megatron and Bush should open opportunities for a lot of guys, including Broyles in the slot.

5k of garbage time heroics is the only important category

:kas

squicken

He's locked in as the QB for the next 4 years or whatever. I also think Broyles should have a good year, but his injury history is now a problem.

bionic77

For most players in the NFL every year is a put up or shut up year. Even if you are Peyton Manning your team will cut you as soon as you start to slip.

Ray Lewis was an exception to the rule, but probably because management was afraid he would kill them.

Hunter S.

For most players in the NFL every year is a put up or shut up year. Even if you are Peyton Manning your team will cut you as soon as you start to slip.

Ray Lewis was an exception to the rule, but probably because management was afraid he would kill them.

It may happen to Manning as the Broncos have him for at least 4 more years if he maintains his baddasary for that long. He is guaranteed for two more years for sure unless he some how drops to Shaub level of mediocrity which would just be an abomination.

That stated, Godslay better return soon from his vacation for real Broncos talk.

alex smith too! he got "put up" years for 7 years! and then the greatest coach since bill walsh came to save him

Lunchbox

Banned

thats why ben still starts at qb too

his revenge is worse than death

Fantomex

We had some orange chicken, house special chicken (probably kung pao just with jalapenos), chow mein, and rice. I say its damn good American food. PS L&D is full right now.

Good stuff. At that joint they always give you a ton of food, and its pretty classy for a fast food joint, doesn't have that packet powder chinese food mix flavor. House Chicken is pretty close to Kung Pao. Some poor Mexicans had to WOK hard to make you that food today Focker.

Also, I just heard some dude claiming that Russell WIlson was Mark Sanchez 2.0. It was for me to argue against his thinking. WIlson inheriting an amazing defense, good home field, good running game and decent receivers.

RBH

freeman-hug.jpg

LJ11

Stafford is Joe Flacco with worse mechanics.

Staffords mechanics are a mess, really his weakest aspect, no consistency in that department. I think their decision making and timing are about the same. But Baltimore has an OL that can create holes and a get the ground game going, it's a must when you don't have a good to great QB. Linehan's gun run game is awful, but they use the RB in the pass game to compensate. Can't sling with Stafford all game long, need to mash on the gound and not rely on him as much.

ChanHuk

Banned
Good stuff. At that joint they always give you a ton of food, and its pretty classy for a fast food joint, doesn't have that packet powder chinese food mix flavor. House Chicken is pretty close to Kung Pao. Some poor Mexicans had to WOK hard to make you that food today Focker.

I dunno where it is, they just told its down the street. One of my favorite drunk meals which is often is left over Chinese fast food.

I need to lose weight, gonna startup that Focus T25 thing.

I was just walking the garbage out to the can around the corner of my house,. The wind blew and I stopped dead in my tracks. It was the warm delta breeze common in this area during the summer nights, the kind of wind that provokes profound thought in a man. The hairs stood up on the back of my neck, and I knew.....

Joe Flacco is going to be a top 3 QB this year.

cdyhybrid

I was just walking the garbage out to the can around the corner of my house,. The wind blew and I stopped dead in my tracks. It was the warm delta breeze common in this area during the summer nights, the kind of wind that provokes profound thought in a man. The hairs stood up on the back of my neck, and I knew.....

Who are you and what have you done with BLarry?

Pacific Rim is great.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Writing was cheesy as hell (not necessarily a bad thing) and there was one gaping plot hole that stood out to me, but at the end of the day...giant robots fighting kaijus.

ChanHuk

Banned
Just drink tea degenerate.

I ain't a quiter

Who the hell are you?

Bread

Banned

Isn't that the plot to The Happening?

Hunter S.

All I want is an 8-8 season from the chiefs. No better, no worse
Squicken believes, but I do not. Most Chefs fans do not seem to believe.

In Broncos news,the broncos signed 3 time pro bowler LT Ryan Clady to a five year deal. I am feeling good about Peyton Manning's protection this year especially with the signing of Louis Vasquez from San Diego.

The base value of the contract is $52.5 million, with $33 million guaranteed in the first three years, and Clady could make as much as $57.5 million total with incentives, a person with knowledge of the contract

"Not official until tomorrow, but I'm blessed for this opportunity to play for such a great franchise for another 5 years!" Clady

squicken

Squicken believes, but I do not. Most Chefs fans do not seem to believe.

In Broncos news,the broncos signed 3 time pro bowler LT Ryan Clady to a five year deal. I am feeling good about Peyton Manning's protection this year especially with the signing of Louis Vasquez from San Diego.

Just upgrading to an average coach and QB will do a lot for a team in a poor division. Hopefully Reid realizes what he has and runs the ball more in KC than he did in Philly

Spades

Just upgrading to an average coach and QB will do a lot for a team in a poor division. Hopefully Reid realizes what he has and runs the ball more in KC than he did in Philly

If they don't run the ball then they are going to struggle again. I don't see the Chiefs being a huge improvement, but they could win 6-8 games if they get going.

bionic77

I agree he will be top 3.

In the division.

eznark

Banned
What's the argument from Redskins fans for IRG3 over Wilson? His inability to stay healthy or his refusal to come out of the playoff game when he got his team humiliated by Wilson's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom