• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.

exarkun

Im reading all of FMT's posts in ray lewis's voice since his posts are so long all I see is the picture when I read them.

I saw a place in Houston that had a wall for "Oilers Greats" and they didn't have warren moon on it. Then I stopped and thought "wait, how do I feel about having oilers shit splashed in my face" and I realized I kind of hated it. No one brings them up anymore unless you're a yuppie douche that wants to play on the nostalgia angle that everyone does now just to be hip. Even older fans don't talk about them that much, cause all they gave us in the end was The Comeback.

Dog-on-a-jetski_large.gif
Trent Richardson insists he has "no pain" in his troublesome right leg, and that he'll be "full-go right from the get-go" in training camp.
Richardson began a running program June 24 after missing the Browns' entire offseason program. "I've been doing sprints, a lot of plyometrics (jump-training) and a lot of quick-twitch work," Richardson said. "It's a lot of muscle-memory stuff designed to get the explosion back." Now that Richardson is (supposedly) back to 100 percent, the trick will be staying healthy. He was forced to play through an alarming number of injuries as a rookie. Richardson is No. 10 in Rotoworld's running back ranks.
The Hype Train is in full gear!

Greg

I really wanted to get into it last night but we missed the UPS guy. Today's the day!
I'm going to a show with a bunch of friends today, and I'm finally going to see The Black Dahlia Murder!

the downside is it's outside, there's a heat warning, and with the heat index is supposed to get to 100

I'm going to a show with a bunch of friends today, and I'm finally going to see The Black Dahlia Murder!

the downside is it's outside, there's a heat warning, and with the heat index is supposed to get to 100
That is awesome, I'm jealous (even with the heat). My cousin saw them a week or so ago at Warped Tour and he said it was phenomenal. Speaking of which, I finally bought their latest album but I haven't listened to it enough to know how I feel about it yet.

My only advice, which I'm sure you already know --- bring tons of water!

Shin Megami Tensei 4.

I got a decent bit into the game, but I apparently screwed up by going a str build instead of a dex build.
Hey man, quick question for you; which FE DLC should I get? I'm gonna use the $30 eShop credit for it but there is about $50 worth of stuff to buy and I doubt all of it is worth it.

eznark

Banned
It took all fucking day to download SMTIV. God I hate Nintendo.

Buy all the FE DLC. It's all good! And since you have played through the game you don't need to worry about saving the game breaking content for later.

It took all fucking day to download SMTIV. God I hate Nintendo.

Buy all the FE DLC. It's all good! And since you have played through the game you don't need to worry about saving the game breaking content for later.
I'm surprised you buy retail games digitally from Nintendo. Does the tied to the system stuff not bother you? I'm too scared to buy full games from the eShop until they get a decent account system set up.

I would like to buy all the DLC but I'm a poor man with a kid on the way, plus I kind of hate the idea of spending more on DLC than I did for the entire game itself. Some of them just look kind of weird too, like the hot springs one. I'm trying to forget about how that most undesirable form of fanservice has infiltrated one of my favorite gaming franchises, so I don't really want any DLC that just reminds me of it, haha.

eznark

Banned
You know what, I had no idea there was still new stuff coming out. I bought it all for like the first two months, I have no idea what the hot springs one is!

The stuff being tied to the system bothers me but I think they will solve that (hope so anyway) and the convenience of having all the games on the system trumps it for me. I also almost never go back to a game, so if I lose my 3DS really all I lose is whatever I am playing right now.

I was so pumped to play SMTIV last night but Amazon sent the game in one of their envelopes, which crushed and tore the box. The replacement should be coming tomorrow.
LLShC.gif

Tamanon

Banned
Weird. Was playing SMT4 between classes in our rec center and this guy walks up, asks what I'm playing and then rambles on for a good 10 minutes about Project X Zone, even with me just mumbling responses and my headphones in my ear. I finally get up to leave because he's annoying me and he wants me to stay and watch the X Zone intro....

Nerds man. I just want to be a nerd quietly in peace, not yapping about a game I don't care about.

eznark

Banned
Weird. Was playing SMT4 between classes in our rec center and this guy walks up, asks what I'm playing and then rambles on for a good 10 minutes about Project X Zone, even with me just mumbling responses and my headphones in my ear. I finally get up to leave because he's annoying me and he wants me to stay and watch the X Zone intro....

Nerds man. I just want to be a nerd quietly in peace, not yapping about a game I don't care about.

Another reason I download games. I don't need slobs in gamestop talking to me about SMT IV and the big boxes in my area only carry hunting simulators.

You know what, I had no idea there was still new stuff coming out. I bought it all for like the first two months, I have no idea what the hot springs one is!

The stuff being tied to the system bothers me but I think they will solve that (hope so anyway) and the convenience of having all the games on the system trumps it for me. I also almost never go back to a game, so if I lose my 3DS really all I lose is whatever I am playing right now.
Yeah, going all digital is definitely way more convenient, especially on a handheld. I have a feeling that once my kid comes along I will start caring a lot less about what happens to my game collection over the years. Right now I still buy everything physical that I can, even Vita games, but at times I pause and wonder if it's really the smart thing to do long-term.

Another reason I download games. I don't need slobs in gamestop talking to me about SMT IV and the big boxes in my area only carry hunting simulators.
It's true... The worst is when I go into Gamestop to buy a game (last time this happened was with Luigi's Mansion 2) and it's not there but the guy says, "oh but hey, you can just buy this download card!" Really, dude?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It's true... The worst is when I go into Gamestop to buy a game (last time this happened was with Luigi's Mansion 2) and it's not there but the guy says, "oh but hey, you can just buy this download card!" Really, dude?

Whats wrong with that? I know people who buy PSN and Steam cards just so their wives don't find out how much cash they're blowing on random shit.

Whats wrong with that? I know people who buy PSN and Steam cards just so their wives don't find out how much cash they're blowing on random shit.
If I want to buy Luigi's Mansion 2 digitally I'll just log on from home and buy it straight from the eShop. Going to a store to buy a download code for a game just seems absurd to me, especially if I'm there looking for the physical copy to begin with.

As for the wife thing, that's a problem that I'd probably try to address a little more directly, haha. Gotta communicate.

bionic77

Yeah, going all digital is definitely way more convenient, especially on a handheld. I have a feeling that once my kid comes along I will start caring a lot less about what happens to my game collection over the years. Right now I still buy everything physical that I can, even Vita games, but at times I pause and wonder if it's really the smart thing to do long-term.

You really won't give a shit about your older games as you get older and especially once you have kids. But if you are like me you still won't throw that shit away even if you don't play it. It's too hard to throw away your piss colored SNES and your 3 copies of Tetris Attack.
I still get the carts but I buy everything from Amazon with Prime. The carts are so small and I still prefer having the physical cart. Since the DS I basically just throw all my carts in a ziplock and all the boxes go downstairs with all my other unused console shit.

Does anyone still shop at GameStop? I hate the people that work and shop there.

That doesn't seem out of the question in so far as recommendations are concerned. It's the 10 minutes it takes me to check out at a Gamestop that made me run far and fast to either online retailers or downloads.

*takes game to the counter*

Clerk: Is there anything you'd like to preorder today?
Me: "Nope, just that thanks"
Clerk: "Are you sure? There's a lot of good stuff coming. Let me get our preorder book for you."
Me: *annoyed* "Really, all I want is this, thanks.
Clerk: "Alright. Do you have a rewards card?"
Me: "No."
Clerk: "Would you like one? It's only $14.99 and it comes with a magazine sub. You get discounts and all kinds of other benefits."
Me: "*sigh* "No. Just the game!"
Clerk: *starts to ring up the game*
Clerk: "Would you like to buy a warranty for the game? It's $4.99 and it will cover the game for you for the lifetime yo have it?"
Clerk: "Would you like the strategy guide for the game? It's 20% off with the purchase of the game"
Me: "For fucks sakes, either ring me out or keep the damned game and I'll go buy it somewhere else."

That's about the conversation I had the last time I was at Gamestop and since then I've done 95% of my game shopping either via GMG.com/Steam for PC or Amazon for consoles/handhelds.

eznark

Banned
If I want to buy Luigi's Mansion 2 digitally I'll just log on from home and buy it straight from the eShop. Going to a store to buy a download code for a game just seems absurd to me, especially if I'm there looking for the physical copy to begin with.

As for the wife thing, that's a problem that I'd probably try to address a little more directly, haha. Gotta communicate.

My wife hates spending money because she was a dirty poor growing up and is convinced we'll lose everything any day but we are fortunate enough to not have to sweat dumb gaming purchases. The cards are a great solution. My wife gets to pretend I'm not pissing away money and I get to keep pissing away money!

They now sell Steam cards are walgreens and Wal Mart though so I don't even need to worry about carrying cash to keep the charade going. It's wonderful! My steam wallet is fucking loaded and I don't have to annoy my wife. Perfect! Thanks, Gabe! Shocking that a 750 pound virgin would understand women so well.

MechDX

Im reading all of FMT's posts in ray lewis's voice since his posts are so long all I see is the picture when I read them.

I saw a place in Houston that had a wall for "Oilers Greats" and they didn't have warren moon on it. Then I stopped and thought "wait, how do I feel about having oilers shit splashed in my face" and I realized I kind of hated it. No one brings them up anymore unless you're a yuppie douche that wants to play on the nostalgia angle that everyone does now just to be hip. Even older fans don't talk about them that much, cause all they gave us in the end was The Comeback.

I think the Texans are smart in playing up some Houston NFL connections. Bum Philips and Pastorini showing up at practices, Earl Campbell makes a few games a year as well. There is still a tradition here but it is odd because it is a new franchise. Hell even when Kubiak signed Mathews as a 3rd o line coach that had PR written all over it.

I think most people in Houston who follow the Titans did so because of the damn VY angle. Bud felt he was sticking it to Houston and in some regard he did.

bionic77

My wife hates spending money because she was a dirty poor growing up and is convinced we'll lose everything any day but we are fortunate enough to not have to sweat dumb gaming purchases. The cards are a great solution. My wife gets to pretend I'm not pissing away money and I get to keep pissing away money!

They now sell Steam cards are walgreens and Wal Mart though so I don't even need to worry about carrying cash to keep the charade going. It's wonderful! My steam wallet is fucking loaded and I don't have to annoy my wife. Perfect! Thanks, Gabe! Shocking that a 750 pound virgin would understand women so well.
If you are a born a dirty poor can you marry or earn enough money to get rid of that label? Or is it once a poor always a poor?

eznark

Banned
If I showed her the barbie clothes I have bought for dota characters I wouldn't get laid for a week. She just doesn't get it man!!

If you are a born a dirty poor can you marry or earn enough money to get rid of that label? Or is it once a poor always a poor?

Nah, the poors who make it out of their depressing existence to be able to live a human life are more admirable than clowns like you and Lunchbox who just deep throat a silver spoon all their lives.

bionic77

Nah, the poors who make it out of their depressing existence to be able to live a human life are more admirable than clowns like you and Lunchbox who just deep throat a silver spoon all their lives.
Why am I lumped in with Lunchbox? I have a job and a mortgage and car payments like the rest of you slobs.

Not that I would be ashamed if I was a trust fund baby, but unfortunately I have to work for my money.

That doesn't seem out of the question in so far as recommendations are concerned. It's the 10 minutes it takes me to check out at a Gamestop that made me run far and fast to either online retailers or downloads.

*takes game to the counter*

Clerk: Is there anything you'd like to preorder today?
Me: "Nope, just that thanks"
Clerk: "Are you sure? There's a lot of good stuff coming. Let me get our preorder book for you."
Me: *annoyed* "Really, all I want is this, thanks.
Clerk: "Alright. Do you have a rewards card?"
Clerk: "Would you like one? It's only $14.99 and it comes with a magazine sub. You get discounts and all kinds of other benefits."
Me: "*sigh* "No. Just the game!"
Clerk: *starts to ring up the game*
Clerk: "Would you like to buy a warranty for the game? It's $4.99 and it will cover the game for you for the lifetime yo have it?"
Clerk: "Would you like the strategy guide for the game? It's 20% off with the purchase of the game"
Me: "For fucks sakes, either ring me out or keep the damned game and I'll go buy it somewhere else."

That's about the conversation I had the last time I was at Gamestop and since then I've done 95% of my game shopping either via GMG.com/Steam for PC or Amazon for consoles/handhelds.
It's funny because that conversation really is dead on. The part of being in Gamestop where you check out is the worst. I don't shop there unless I really want a game the day it comes out (and I didn't preorder it from Amazon, which I've started doing more recently) or no other B&M stores around me have it stocked. You're right that the digital download suggestion isn't too crazy, I just find it kind of funny since I'm in the store to buy the physical version. It makes sense that they'd do it from a business point of view, though.

To be honest I don't think I hate Gamestop as much as most people on GAF. Most of the employees I've dealt with in my area are actually pretty cool so sometimes I'll end up talking to them for awhile about games and stuff.

:jnc

That makes sense. My wife hates keeping up with financial stuff so she's usually fine with me buying games and whatnot as long as I try to keep it under control somewhat, but I worry about how much I'm spending more than she does so it usually works out fine. She grew up with a dad who constantly blew money on stuff like boats, muscle cars, and alcohol so in comparison videogames don't look so bad!

If I showed her the barbie clothes I have bought for dota characters I wouldn't get laid for a week. She just doesn't get it man!!
Hahahahaha! That game terrifies me for so many reasons.

RBH

untisdtled-8.jpg

520-C0zed.AuSt.138.jpeg

Nike is literally taking one back.

The world's largest shoe and apparel company said on Tuesday it has removed an embarrassing geographical error from circulation.

The T-shirt had a Carolina Panthers logo with the letters "NC" inside an outline of the wrong Carolina -- South Carolina.

"A small quantity of incorrect Carolina Panthers T-shirts were recently made available for sale," said Nike spokesman Brian Strong. "The product should not have been sold. We have removed it from sale and apologize for the error."

It's not the first time the state of North Carolina has been involved in a merchandising snafu. In the spring of 2012, a company called Aggieland Outfitters somehow put the state on a shirt welcoming Texas A&M to the SEC. There are no teams in the SEC located in North Carolina.

The Panthers have played all their home games in Charlotte, N.C., with the exception of their inaugural season in 1995 when the team played in Clemson, S.C.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...olina-panthers-t-shirt-south-carolina-outline

Talon

This one's for North Carolina! C'mon and raise up
Take your shirt off, twist it 'round yo head
Spin it like a helicopter
North Carolina! C'mon and raise up
This one's for you, uh-huh, this one's for who?
Us, us, us; yes sir!

That makes sense. My wife hates keeping up with financial stuff so she's usually fine with me buying games and whatnot as long as I try to keep it under control somewhat, but I worry about how much I'm spending more than she does so it usually works out fine. She grew up with a dad who constantly blew money on stuff like boats, muscle cars, and alcohol so in comparison videogames don't look so bad!

Boats, muscle cars and alcohol sounds like a shitton of fun though! (Not sure when you combine the three, but separate that sounds great!)

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Oh I can just go online and not through my 3DS to download games? Now thats a game changer.

My nephew has been hogging my 3DS since he came up here.

I'll probably just buy him his own so he'll stop using mine.

squicken

Bill Barnwell breaks down nfl's young elite quarterbacks

Gang of Four: The Sequel
Which of 2012's young phenom quarterbacks will be even better this year?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9482930/bill-barnwell-breaks-nfl-young-elite-quarterbacks

If I were picking between Kaepernick and Wilson based on what they did over the entirety of last season, I would pick Wilson. But if we're talking about 2013 and beyond? Kaepernick has one huge advantage that Wilson simply doesn't: Jim Harbaugh.

----

Who Was the Best Gang of Four QB in 2012?

That leaves Griffin and Wilson. And if I have to pick between the two of them in terms of their overall performance last season, I have to pick Griffin. His completion percentage was higher and his yards per attempt were higher. They each threw 393 passes, and Wilson threw twice as many interceptions. RG3 also ran for more yards per carry and produced more rushing yardage. If you ignore those first few unsteady games from Wilson and compare how they played at the end of the year, you can make a really strong case for Wilson.4 On the whole, though, Griffin was the better player and the most productive member of the Gang of Four last year.

----

Who Will Be the Best Gang of Four QB in 2013?

So that leaves Wilson, who picked up a no. 1 wideout over the offseason, Vikings standout Percy Harvin. Even better, Wilson won't be splitting the first-team practice reps with anybody during training camp this year. I'm pretty comfortable picking him as the best quarterback from the Gang of Four in 2013. (Also, sorry for putting that hex on you, Russell Wilson.)

---

Who Will Be the Best Gang of Four QB Beyond 2013?

Oh, so you want a long-term estimate of each quarterback's career arc and respective value? That sounds like you want an NFL Trade Value column. Good news, then — Grantland's annual look into that very concept is coming next week.

Seems like he is setting it up to go with Luck next week, and that sounds about right. No way would Indy trade him for any of the other 3

Bill Barnwell breaks down nfl's young elite quarterbacks

Gang of Four: The Sequel
Which of 2012's young phenom quarterbacks will be even better this year?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9482930/bill-barnwell-breaks-nfl-young-elite-quarterbacks

Seems like he is setting it up to go with Luck next week, and that sounds about right. No way would Indy trade him for any of the other 3
Prediction: Tannehill will outperform at least two of those four this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom