• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChanHuk

Banned
shut your drunk midget mouth and go watch the raiders suck

00368737-954546_catl_500.jpg

So I did my first T25 workout, shits tough. I have no cardio what so ever and a bum knee, I need some HGH and Adderall.

Be honest, who wouldn't want a McNutt jersey?

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...er-Notes/61921184-7f68-473f-978f-9897f4215080

If there was an MVP of the first practice it might have been wide receiver Marvin McNutt, who was claimed off waivers in the offseason after being released by the Philadelphia Eagles. He was a four-year letterman at Iowa and played in four games during his rookie season.

Starting off in 7-on-7 drills, the 6-foot-2, 215-pound McNutt caught everything that was thrown his way and drew numerous cheers from the crowd. He made a nice adjustment on a comeback route that left his defender off balance and then in 11-on-11s he continued to get open and show off some sure hands.

squicken

Why is ESPN buying the Nate Silver's blog? I understand he started in baseball stat geek land, but they will still be doing all the political stuff. Does anyone at ESPN actually like sports? Like the actual games?

eznark

Banned
Why is ESPN buying the Nate Silver's blog? I understand he started in baseball stat geek land, but they will still be doing all the political stuff. Does anyone at ESPN actually like sports? Like the actual games?

I think they were terrified that FOX was going to get him. Or maybe they'll just put him and Olbermann on a show together and put everyone to sleep.

Talon

It's a joint ABC/ESPN deal for the 538 brand. He'll do Politics during election years for ABC. He'll do sports and other cultural beats on ESPN.

A friend of mine has a coworker that was with BP during that late 90s-early 00s period before they were sold to Stats (and then Time Warner was it?), and they have some pretty goofy stories about that era.

As an avid news junky, I'm disappointed to see NYTimes lose him to a television network.

No idea, I read Olbermann to ESPN in a headline on Twitter. Why anyone would read past that is beyond me.
Olbermann was invariably mentioned in most of the Nate Silver headlines when 538 was picked up which is why I asked. It's funny you lumped them together as most of the media did as well.

I enjoyed the 538 blog during the election cycles so I'm happy to hear he'll still be doing that for ABC in some capacity.

Talon

Actually, turns out they're going to go another step beyond that.
In the next couple months, Silver will be relaunching his website, FiveThirtyEight.com, as an ESPN backed publication. The new FiveThirtyEight will be a standalone website that uses a data to tell stories and make predictions on sports, politics, economics, culture, science, and technology, ESPN said in a statement. Silver will run the new site as editor-in-chief, overseeing a team of writers and editors.
So it's Grantland with a statistical basis. As someone that worked on this sort of tech back in undergrad (data-driven, timely stories - specifically crime trends), I'm excited to see someone actually invest resources into it.

I love reading Silver, he is boring as fuck to watch on TV.

Not just boring. He's awkward as fuck, yeah.

So it's Grantland with a statistical basis. As someone that worked on this sort of tech back in undergrad (data-driven, timely stories - specifically crime trends), I'm excited to see someone actually invest resources into it.
I don't have a background in it at all, but I agree.

eznark

Banned
In the next couple months, Silver will be relaunching his website, FiveThirtyEight.com, as an ESPN backed publication. The new FiveThirtyEight will be a standalone website that uses a data to tell stories and make predictions on sports, politics, economics, culture, science, and technology, ESPN said in a statement. Silver will run the new site as editor-in-chief, overseeing a team of writers and editors.
This I am hard about, depending on who he hires. I hope he doesn't poach a bunch of BP guys. That site is firing on all cylinders right now.

ChanHuk

Banned
Because it's never too early to talk about the 2014 NFL Draft:

Tank for Clowney bitches!!!111

Question if Teddy Bridgewater becomes even remotely like RG3 (with knees) who will go #1? If the Jags have the #1 pick, it'll be Bridgewater. If its the Raiders, Clowney. If its the Pats, some long snapper from Rutgers.

I can see plenty of scenarios were Clowney dosent go one, I can see Clowney even falling to 3. If I have a guy I think is a franchise Qb I'll take him all day over Clowney.
I might be a racist but at least I'm not a homophobe, gays have more rights than people of color I tell ya.
Da fuck are you talking about haha....
That came out of nowhere I mean....

Colasante

1. Jadeveon Clowney to the Raiders
2. Teddy Bridgewater to the Jaguars

It is known.

If anyone compares Bridgewater to RG3 in the next year, you can be assured they're either ignorant or a racist. Bridgewater is more in the vein of Luck or Rodgers. He's not a scrambler at all, from the games I've seen of him.

squicken

As good as Watt is, he's just a bystander when the Texans LBs and DBs are getting abused by Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. Non-QBs just affect the game far less than QBs do. If Bridgewater is RG3/Luck then he will go first, even if Clowney is the next Reggie White

As good as Watt is, he's just a bystander when the Texans LBs and DBs are getting abused by Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. Non-QBs just affect the game far less than QBs do. If Bridgewater is RG3/Luck then he will go first, even if Clowney is the next Reggie White
This Bromigo knows what in saying.

Talon

Listening to Jolie ODell is worse than cancer
Oh, God. Listening to TWiT?

It's a good cast of characters this week until Jolie chimes in with the most vapid bullshit. There really is nothing more annoying than hearing tech pundits try to speak intelligently about privacy in the context of national security.

If they could manage to keep a cast like Silverman, Rose/Meritt, and Norton on a regular basis, it would be the best.

squicken

A QB went before Calvin Johnson.

Front offices in all sports are getting smarter. It will never be flawless, there will always be some dumb teams, but I don't think you'll see a JFat type pick again. If Bridgewater is more of a Tanniehill type prospect then Clowney will go first. If he is a Luck/RG3 prospect then he will go #1

Tamanon

Banned
You guys really need to rethink your QB rankings if you even think Luck is a one-of-a-kind QB like RG3. He's a turnover machine who was the third best QB in that draft at best, and that really depends on Tannehill's development.

Talon

You guys really need to rethink your QB rankings if you even think Luck is a one-of-a-kind QB like RG3. He's a turnover machine who was the third best QB in that draft at best, and that really depends on Tannehill's development.
Crown RGIII after one season.

Drown Luck after one season.

You disgust me. I mean, it's true, RGIII has never played a season without tearing his knee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom