• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only? No. But neither is QB rushing yards per game. I'm challenging you friend, not trolling you! I think the Dolphins look like hot shit on toast going into this year, but as always you are optimistic. I'm just trying to see why but it sounds like a lot of hopes and prayers and pixie dust.

His interceptions we way down in those last six games, but so were his completions. He average five fewer completions per game over that stretch than his season average. Attempts were down and his yards fell to under 200 per game in that span. Sure he threw fewer picks but it's because he just threw less in general. His game against Jacksonville was legit but outside of that there are no real bright shining spots. And...it's Jacksonville at the end of the year. Is that a sign of progress? Is that more important than shitting the bed against the Patriots twice? I don't know but I tend to say probably not.
You raise some good points, man, I admit.

I definitely don't think QB rushing yards per game is the only stat we should use to determine how much a QB has improved, but I was only using that stat to show how much his running had improved and how much more the play-calling had shifted towards rolling him out of the pocket.

For an inexperienced rookie QB I will take the trade-off of less completions for significantly less INT's, especially when you consider how bad the Dolphins offense was overall. I see that as an improvement because of how important turnovers are in the NFL and how it reflects on his decision making.

I agree that whatever improvement might have been there, it isn't enough to outshine how poorly he and the rest of the team played against the Pats. But, how surprised should I be to see a rookie QB, rookie head coach, and a team in rebuilding mode outplayed and out-coached by a playoff bound Belichick and Brady? It sucks that Tannehill didn't show huge strides in those two games but I find it hard to place much of the blame on him given the circumstances surrounding him.

At the end of the day I do think I am overly optimistic at times and I'm glad you're here to bring me back down to reality a bit before the season does it for me. It just feels good to finally be excited about a QB again, even if it is somewhat premature and unfounded at this point. More than anything I'm just excited to see my team play another season, regardless of how much heartache it brings me.

And like I've said in this thread before, I don't expect the Dolphins to win the division this season. I'm not that overly optimistic. I expect: Pats, Dolphins, Bills, Jets with only the Pats making the playoffs but I'm hoping the Dolphins can sneak in and grab a wildcard.

You raise some good points, man, I admit.

I definitely don't think QB rushing yards per game is the only stat we should use to determine how much a QB has improved, but I was only using that stat to show how much his running had improved and how much more the play-calling had shifted towards rolling him out of the pocket.

For an inexperienced rookie QB I will take the trade-off of less completions for significantly less INT's, especially when you consider how bad the Dolphins offense was overall. I see that as an improvement because of how important turnovers are in the NFL and how it reflects on his decision making.

I agree that whatever improvement might have been there, it isn't enough to outshine how poorly he and the rest of the team played against the Pats. But, how surprised should I be to see a rookie QB, rookie head coach, and a team in rebuilding mode outplayed and out-coached by a playoff bound Belichick and Brady? It sucks that Tannehill didn't show huge strides in those two games but I find it hard to place much of the blame on him given the circumstances surrounding him.

At the end of the day I do think I am overly optimistic at times and I'm glad you're here to bring me back down to reality a bit before the season does it for me. It just feels good to finally be excited about a QB again, even if it is somewhat premature and unfounded at this point. More than anything I'm just excited to see my team play another season, regardless of how much heartache it brings me.

And like I've said in this thread before, I don't expect the Dolphins to win the division this season. I'm not that overly optimistic. I expect: Pats, Dolphins, Bills, Jets with only the Pats making the playoffs but I'm hoping the Dolphins can sneak in and grab a wildcard.

With kaps support you will win the division. If he believes in you then you should too!

The best part is that It never has to be game day for this to be appropriate:

bradying.jpg

I was gonna edit my post, to show you some love, but now you can go fuck yourself.

The_Darkest_Red said:

Sucks to suck. If you can't handle post menopausal Brady and post-NSA belichick, your future is not too promising. Hopefully playing them post-brutal, stonecold executioner may finally change your fate.

eznark

Banned
With kaps support you will win the division. If he believes in you then you should too!

Worked for the Brewers!

:(

I like him, kind of. It'll be interesting to see how he handles having such an ego on the outside. Just think you're being a bit rose colored when thinking back on the end of last year.

Sucks to suck. If you can't handle post menopausal Brady and post-NSA belichick, your future is not too promising. Hopefully playing them post-brutal, stonecold executioner may finally change your fate.
Do you think Rodgers still would have led the league in sacks last season if Philbin was still around?

I like him, kind of. It'll be interesting to see how he handles having such an ego on the outside. Just think you're being a bit rose colored when thinking back on the end of last year.
Probably fair.

Speaking of the Brewers though, what do you think about the whole Braun situation? Pretty disappointing to me, he seemed like an alright dude.

Do you think Rodgers still would have led the league in sacks last season if Philbin was still around?
Pretty sure he led the league in sacks a few years back when Big Poppa was still there.

But I do miss Phil. The brains behind McCarthy's... well... lack of brains.

Side note I'm optimistic on the Dolphins but then again I almost always have been in recent years. They seem due for a turnaround

eznark

Banned

Pretty sure Rodgers was the most sacked passer when Philbin was in GB at least one season. It's Rodgers' style.

Speaking of the Brewers though, what do you think about the whole Braun situation? Pretty disappointing to me, he seemed like an alright dude.

Best possible outcome for Milwaukee. He misses meaningless games! As for if he is an ok dude? Why the fuck would I care? I'm not trying to fuck him.

Pretty sure he led the league in sacks a few years back when Big Poppa was still there.

But I miss Phil. The brains behind McCarthy's... well... lack of brains.

Pretty sure Rodgers was the most sacked passer when Philbin was in GB at least one season. It's Rodgers' style.
Touché!

Best possible outcome for Milwaukee. He misses meaningless games! As for if he is an ok dude? Why the fuck would I care? I'm not trying to fuck him.
:jnc

I know it's pretty unrealistic to expect decent character out of professional athletes but it still matters to me some.

Yes.

The Vikings WR sucks and was injured, Finley's brain is full of spiders, and the OLine was far inferior with no Wells or Bulaga.

Also the fact that Rodgers holds the rock longer than Von Miller in a Denver smoke circle.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
hello nfl gaf, is it football season yet?

what team is squicken, squickening to this year?

eznark

Banned
So stat geekery, but Air Yards and Yards after the Catch are getting closer and closer as teams dink and dunk. Does this make QBs more or less important? Do you need $15m a year for Jay Cutler when you can get a read option QB to throw smoke screens and shot play deep balls?

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.co...r-yards-vs-yards-after-catch-1992-2012/23605/

This is more of an issue of defensive play than of QB play. Soft zones and deep safeties leave a lot of holes. As teams transition to focus more on read option I'd expect to see more man and especially some innovation in the use of the safety position which will leave some holes deep as opposed to slant n' run's.

SonnyBoy

This is more of an issue of defensive play than of QB play. Soft zones and deep safeties leave a lot of holes. As teams transition to focus more on read option I'd expect to see more man and especially some innovation in the use of the safety position which will leave some holes deep as opposed to slant n' run's.

Which is why having a QB that can run both the read option and operate as a traditional drop-back passer will be key. Can RGIII, Russel and Kap do that? Only time will tell.

My greatest disappointment in RGIII"s injury was that it took time away from him becoming a more rounded passer. I fully believe that he can operate as a drop-back passer, but it's not his strength. I also don't believe that the read-option was employed simply for his deficiencies, I believe it hid some of the lack of talent on our offensive line too.

squicken

Yeah it's the biggest sort of Xs and Os thing this year to see how the league adapts. Funny given that SEA and SF might have 5 QB runs a game, though teams could do what BAL did and use it as an excuse to hit the hit "for free" on gives from the pistol

Yeah it's the biggest sort of Xs and Os thing this year to see how the league adapts. Funny given that SEA and SF might have 5 QB runs a game, though teams could do what BAL did and use it as an excuse to hit the hit "for free" on gives from the pistol

Atl got free hits on kap but it left gaping holes for our rbs and you saw the results

bionic77

That was Heavy that made that prediction if memory serves and I believe he meant running yards.
Well he is a smart man.

If you poors want some money put it all on the Lions for both fantasy and with your bookie on game day. Otherwise I don't want to hear you complaining about not being able to buy the latest Call of Duty game or how much it sucks sleeping in a piss stained mattress.

squicken

Atl got free hits on kap but it left gaping holes for our rbs and you saw the results

Teams used to do this vs the Oilers and the run and shoot. The idea was that the hits would add up and the QB would be skittish by the end of the game. I think, just in general, the middle of the field is going to get more and more crowded. To stop slot WRs and two TE sets. Teams may start taking their chances on the outside

And how many teams have a WR2 that is better than CB2? It's really hard to find good X WRs. Teams have been using backup long snappers to cover Kevin Walter for 5 years

edit: Sam Montgomery showed up to his physical fat and out of shape. Probably too much of that Animal Crossing or Sonic or whatever it is he does

I need to buy DKC Returns for Wii.
I'm going to rebuy it on the Wii this weekend. I want to get that 60fps version for a future replay.

Now speedrun.
Heh, I still have a boat load of puzzle pieces to get. I did manage to get all of the KONG letters for every level. I need to take a break from it though. I have Castlevania Mirror of Fate on deck next and I'm still working through Murumasa on the Vita.

eznark

Banned
Hey squicken thanks for pointing out that Vitale twitter rant yesterday. I got into a discussion with him, brought up Bob Knight punching kids, and now my wife is pissed at me.

It's your fault.

bionic77

I'm going to rebuy it on the Wii this weekend. I want to get that 60fps version for a future replay.

Heh, I still have a boat load of puzzle pieces to get. I did manage to get all of the KONG letters for every level. I need to take a break from it though. I have Castlevania Mirror of Fate on deck next and I'm still working through Murumasa on the Vita.
I try to get the letters but am not worried about getting all the puzzle pieces. That seems like a pain to me and is not that fun.

I won't replay it but I wonder what it is like with the Wii controls and 60fps.

This had me super psyched for the U version. I hope Nintendo drops the prices and gets some other games out. But for 200 bucks I would get it just for DK,

squicken

Hey squicken thanks for pointing out that Vitale twitter rant yesterday. I got into a discussion with him, brought up Bob Knight punching kids, and now my wife is pissed at me.

It's your fault.

haha Twitter makes us lose our minds. Doug Farrar has blocked me like three times b/c I keep telling him to wipe Pete Carroll's jizz from his mouth

Who is Amanda Byrnes? I even looked her up on google and cannot figure out why people give a single fuck about her?

She used to have a show on Nick as a kid, and starred in some movies afterwards...her career has been kinda dead for awhile but she went insane recently. I don't get why she receives so much attention considering she's not some huge former star.

Godslay

Banned
Boom. Joe Mays released. It was going to happen, I think they just had to wait for him to be cleared from injuries. Schaub will now be able to live without fear when playing Denver.

I won't replay it but I wonder what it is like with the Wii controls and 60fps.
Yeah, the only downside I've heard is that you have to shake the Wiimote to get Kong to do the floor slam. That's likely going to annoy the shit out of me after getting so used to the 3DS controls.

I'm all over the Wii U sequel for sure.

how is the 3ds version of dkr?
It's great! Same game except its 30fps as opposed to 60 and as mentioned it jettisons the waggle stuff from the Wii version.

eznark

Banned
You guys better go buy 3ds's now if you are interested. Kevin Rose claims Nintendo is getting out of the hardware business.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
When KAS said Reggie would get 1800 yards this season was he talking about all purpose or just running? Because he might be selling Bush short. 1800 yards rushing is only like 112.5 a game. I think if you include all purpose he is a lock for 2500 and Stafford might take that next step and throw for 6000 this years now that he has a legit running attack.

The only thing that can stop the Lions offense this year is the endzone.

Heavy was the one who said Bush would get 1800 yards, not me.

I predicted more of an 800-1000 yard season which includes all purpose. We just need him to keep defenses on check which in turn will allow Stafford time to drop another 5,000 yard, 41 TD on the NFL.

If Stafford stays healthy along with some of the offensive playmakers, I expect us to be Top 5 in most important offensive statistical categories like we've been the last two years. Difference iswe now have a speed back like Jahvid Best which suits our Pistol formation perfectly.

On paper we're a playoff team(the NFC is going to be a bloodbath though), but if our defense can produce turnovers like we did in 2011 we're a Super Bowl calibur team.

At the very least we're the most exciting team to watch on both sides of the ball. I cannot effin' wait for this season to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom