• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

So far so good with Mike Wallace

DAVIE - We're three days into training camp and the Mike Wallace factor hasn't been felt so far.

Wallace hasn't roasted any cornerbacks deep.... YET. Without hitting we really can't tell his run-after-catch skills.....YET. And to be completely honest, Wallace doesn't have great chemistry with quarterback Ryan Tannehill....YET.

That was evident the entire offseason.

Their chemistry, which Sun-Sentinel columnist Dave Hyde addresses earlier this week, is a work in progress.

However, I can't help but recall Brandon Marshall's first training camp as a Dolphin. The four-time Pro Bowler truly lived up to his "Beast" nickname by pushing around all of Miami's defensive backs back in that 2010 camp.

Truth is, my memory of Marshall bullying Sean Smith, Vontae Davis, Jason Allen and Will Allen for the first few days of practice is etched in my mind. I remember thinking: "this is what an elite receiver looks like!"

Those types of practices haven't happened for Wallace YET, and I've got a couple of reasons why that might be the case.

Hear me out for a minute.....

I've noticed two things about Wallace so far. He drops his share of passes in practice, and he doesn't always run full speed. For whatever reason he's rarely in gear five, and the reason I know this is because when he makes a cut its usually effortless. The fact he isn't at full speed keeps a cornerback from going into gear five, and as a result Brent Grimes, the deflection king, usually makes pretty good breaks on his balls.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...slow-start-20130723,0,6511258.story?track=rss

BigAT

All Mike Wallace sees when he looks at a playbook.

Xt0Q3Y5.jpg

squicken

Rams cut Rok Watkins today for showing up fat, again. He's a nobody, but STL traded down in the 2nd round in 2012, passing on Kendricks and Wagner to pick up a 5th round pick. Pick in 5th was Watkins, Kendricks and Wagner were gone afte they traded down, so they settled for Pead. Huge mistake. Had to draft Ogletree in first to make up for it

Texans having fatty issues too

@McClain_on_NFL: Texans, 3rd-rd picks off to slow start. Williams on PUP and LB Sam Montgomery woefully out of shape.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Eh, I'll settle for winning.

Or blowing out the 9ers in their own stadium. I'd never have to seriously respond to an FMT post again!

Trolling and winning at Candlestick (or whatever the fuck that thing that is nowhere near San Francisco at all, is now called) are the same things.

bionic77

Also all the Steelers ever asked of him.

Second day in pads and people are writing stuff like this. Crazy.
Not true on Wallace. We asked a lot of him. Like reporting to training camp on time. Like catching the ball. Like trying to block on the outside. Like working on his route running so he was not just a one trick pony.

The problem was that his answer was always no.

Good luck with all that!

squicken

Interesting interview with Arians on adapting his passing scheme in Arizona. Maybe we all have it wrong?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/pos...-cardinals-qb-carson-palmer-with-bruce-arians

Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians knows what the stats say. When he was offensive coordinator for the Indianapolis Colts last season, Arians knows that his quarterback, Andrew Luck, took more hits while throwing than any QB in the NFL. Before that, when Arians was offensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers, he knows his quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, wasn't one to shy away from contact, either.

One line of thinking suggests that Arians' preference for deeper passes invites punishment upon quarterbacks by requiring them to hold the ball longer. The Cardinals, with an immobile quarterback in Carson Palmer and no established speed receiver, plan to run a similar attack, but without the QB carnage.

The key to pulling it off lies in something the 60-year-old Arians has almost never had during his NFL coaching career: a wise, old quarterback. Palmer is 33 years old and has dropped back to pass 4,337 times in 10 NFL seasons.

"With Ben and Andrew, it was like they have a Superman cape on," Arians said during an interview Monday. "They think they can get out of everything. Carson is smart enough to know he ain't getting out of there."

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Rams cut Rok Watkins today for showing up fat, again. He's a nobody, but STL traded down in the 2nd round in 2012, passing on Kendricks and Wagner to pick up a 5th round pick. Pick in 5th was Watkins, Kendricks and Wagner were gone afte they traded down, so they settled for Pead. Huge mistake. Had to draft Ogletree in first to make up for it

Texans having fatty issues too

:lol @ Montgomery.

Fantomex

The Dolphins are probably the worst franchise when it comes down to drafting skill positions. And even in Free Agency for the last 10 years look out our big splashes. Marshall came over as a cancer, but his productivity was worth it. Karlos Dansby was serviceable but not a pro bowler. It seems they draft 3 linemen and 3 wide receivers every year, and they all end up being meh. Even Ronnie Brown was never worth an overall second pick.

The only time they really hit the nail on the head was with Ricky. But then they started lining 8 in the box and dared Fiedler to throw it since they knew he sucked. I'm sending my resume to Ross, my qualifications are going 11-5 in All Madden with the sliders up. I should be the front runner for General Manager next year.
TadkV.gif

squicken

That Arians interview is quite good. He's such a candid guy.

"We do like a ball-control passing game to go with the shot plays down the field," Arians said. "Sometimes, situations in games dictate. We were playing from behind so much in Indy last year and needing 16- to 18-yard balls that Andrew would wait on. And quite honestly, Andrew was just throwing that thing to Reggie [Wayne] for the first six games. He wasn't looking at anybody else.

---

:lol @ Montgomery.

The LSU strength coach list has been a popular subject on local radio today

Eh, I'll settle for winning.

Or blowing out the 9ers in their own stadium. I'd never have to seriously respond to an FMT post again!

or maybe wussle can throw for more than 4 yards in the 2nd half of our next game vs. seattle in san fran.

the seahawks have the great fortune to play their superbowl in week 2 of this season. niners have to wait for february :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
or maybe wussle can throw for more than 4 yards in the 2nd half of our next game vs. seattle in san fran.

the seahawks have the great fortune to play their superbowl in week 2 of this season. niners have to wait for february :(
You really have this all wrong. You're not our superbowl, you're just somebody we really want to step on along the way there.

But besides kicking your teeth in, getting homefield advantage all through the playoffs is ideal.

You really have this all wrong. You're not our superbowl, you're just somebody we really want to step on along the way there.

But besides kicking your teeth in, getting homefield advantage all through the playoffs is ideal.

all chickens fans talk about is a regular season victory last year. although i guess i probably wouldn't flaunt a playoff victory where my team was getting absolutely destroyed until the other teams starting QB re-injured himself. seahawks shouldn't have even made the playoffs last year but for one of the worst calls in NFL history.... which i approved of since it allowed us to get a bye!

but honestly i don't see the seahawks making the playoffs this year. you'll see that in due time!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
all chickens fans talk about is a regular season victory last year. although i guess i probably wouldn't flaunt a playoff victory where my team was getting absolutely destroyed until the other teams starting QB re-injured himself. seahawks shouldn't have even made the playoffs last year but for one of the worst calls in NFL history.... which i approved of since it allowed us to get a bye!

but honestly i don't see the seahawks making the playoffs this year. you'll see that in due time!
We talk about it because we embarrassed you, despite your top of the NFL bluster. That's all it is. It's so much sweeter than sitting on a PC typing out impotent page-long rants could ever be.

Also, learn to add. Seahawks would have gotten the exact same playoff seed without that win. Nothing would have changed for us except the consequences of keeping scab refs around longer than they were.

squicken

Hey, hook me up with some soundbytes. LSU fans for years have bragged about their S&C coach.

Really just lots of folks whining about the Texans being stupid when everyone on the internet had seen that picture. "How can you show up fat when your only job is to be in-shape"

The local affiliate that carries the games is of course having the hosts do some damage control (preseason/camp/wait for games)

Once the Astros are done today, these guys will be a bit more aggressive with it, and they podcast their shows

http://www.sports790.com/pages/charliepalliloblog.html

One of the guys has a bit doing an SEC character that is sometimes funny. Will probably bust that out

http://www.sports790.com/cc-common/podcast/single_page.html?podcast=SECGuy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom