• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.
@BG

I like all of our RBs. I think Jon Stewart is the best all-around back in the stable when you look at what he brings as a runner (deceptive speed for a bigger guy, powerful downhill runner, yet elusive and agile enough to make people miss in the open field), his ability to catch balls out of the backfield, and is a decent blocker in pass pro. He's coming off of ankle surgery and MAY not make it for the first week of training camp.

As for Tolbert, he's a straight bruiser. I love his running style because he's not looking to dance around guys, he's looking to just bowl them over and keep moving.

It needs to die.

snesfreak is that you?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AdamSchefter
Free-agent WR Braylon Edwards plans to sign a one-year deal with Jets, per ESPN source. He soon will be a Jet.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

tempJHR22910--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
Look at how happy Banner looks ln Cleveland, he even grew a awesome swag beard. Tomorrow Football starts for us!

exarkun

@BG

I like all of our RBs. I think Jon Stewart is the best all-around back in the stable when you look at what he brings as a runner (deceptive speed for a bigger guy, powerful downhill runner, yet elusive and agile enough to make people miss in the open field), his ability to catch balls out of the backfield, and is a decent blocker in pass pro. He's coming off of ankle surgery and MAY not make it for the first week of training camp.

As for Tolbert, he's a straight bruiser. I love his running style because he's not looking to dance around guys, he's looking to just bowl them over and keep moving.

snesfreak is that you?

Stewart is alllllways injured. How can you like your backfield? Its terribad. Tolbert is a fat fuck.

Stewart is going to be walking to the bathroom, stub his toe, which ruptures his liver, and he'll be out for another year. SUCKS. SUCKS. God, hes burned me too many times.

Cam better run that shit in all year.

Godslay

Banned
Foxey's excuse that the fans were rattled and it was better to take a knee for "us fans" stung me personally. Pure BS
All the fans in my section (and the sections around me) were ready to go. Getting setup for a field goal attempt was a sure thing in our minds. Wind chill was insane and the game was so long, but the fans were still at it. My cajun, SEC, LSU-schooled, Death-Valley attending wife was impressed by the noise and dedication that night at Mile High. The knee pissed us off.
Foxey should have admitted he dun goofed. Blaming the fans were stunned was wrong.
I think it was Fox's fault.

McCoy can be blamed for other things though..

Yeah, Fox is not without blame for that loss. Really, it was just a shit storm when it all boils down to it. Peyton deciding to suck, Champ needing help and not getting it, Moore with the bad coverage, Knowshon catching the injury bug, etc, etc. Honestly, outside of the Superbowl losses, it was the most excruciating loss to watch in a long time.

I was salty for awhile, but now I'm not. Ravens got some luck, but put it away when it counted. I don't want revenge, I don't even care if we beat them in the regular season opener. Just as long as this team makes it to the playoffs, and fucking shows up. Win or lose as long as they leave it all out on the field I'll be happy.

Bowser

Stewart is alllllways injured. How can you like your backfield? Its terribad. Tolbert is a fat fuck.

Stewart is going to be walking to the bathroom, stub his toe, which ruptures his liver, and he'll be out for another year. SUCKS. SUCKS. God, hes burned me too many times.

lol wut

rwlR6EF.jpg

So before last year, he'd played in 62 of 64 possible games. Fact check son.

Yeah, Fox is not without blame for that loss. Really, it was just a shit storm when it all boils down to it. Peyton deciding to suck, Champ needing help and not getting it, Moore with the bad coverage, Knowshon catching the injury bug, etc, etc. Honestly, outside of the Superbowl losses, it was the most excruciating loss to watch in a long time.

I was salty for awhile, but now I'm not. Ravens got some luck, but put it away when it counted. I don't want revenge, I don't even care if we beat them in the regular season opener. Just as long as this team makes it to the playoffs, and fucking shows up. Win or lose as long as they leave it all out on the field I'll be happy.

worse than the jags loss in denver when you guys were the #1 seed and jimmy smith got high as fuck before the game and went off on you?!

Godslay

Banned
worse than the jags loss in denver when you guys were the #1 seed and jimmy smith got high as fuck before the game and went off on you?!

Thanks for reminding me. Not as worse as that, but pretty damn close. Ravens loss might be worse in some ways I guess. Fucking Brunell though, I bet that little gata hatchling was fucking ecstatic that day.

To be honest we probably would have lost to GB in the SB.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
2 for 2 so far in sports teams breaking my heart in 2013.

All that's left is the Raptors ending up just missing out on Andrew Wiggins and the Browns being the Browns. :(

Hunter S.

I cannot believe some how a non-broncos fan remebers the Jags only time of glory. I still hate them for this the hype that year was strong. At least, they got redemption.

Godslay

Banned
I cannot believe some how a non-broncos fan remebers the Jags only time of glory. I still hate them for this the hype that year was strong. At least, they got redemption.

He's reading up on Bronco's history. I think he's about to Squicken to the Chiefs, to follow his man where all great SF QBs are sent to be destroyed.

exarkun

2 for 2 so far in sports teams breaking my heart in 2013.

All that's left is the Raptors ending up just missing out on Andrew Wiggins and the Browns being the Browns. :(

kave, I can't remember if I knew you were a raptors fan. But...

Both a Browns AND Raptors fan? Glutton for punishment. Do you know what a smile even feels like anymore?

ChanHuk

Banned
Fantomex Think im going to go to lucky Chinese this weekend what should I try ?

Where in OC are you? If you get food poisoning come to my hospital around the corner. I will not log your wallet into inventory.

LOL @ Tracy Porter, CWoodson punked him for his number. He salty.

So much wrong in this post.

Spades

I'm gonna start packing today and later hit the driving range. I feel the love too man!

I'm playing on Sunday. I've only been playing golf for 18 months so I'm still very shit, but it can be the most rewarding game in the world at times. Not to mention the most frustrating.

I'm playing on Sunday. I've only been playing golf for 18 months so I'm still very shit, but it can be the most rewarding game in the world at times. Not to mention the most frustrating.

I've started playing when I was 14, but I don't play enough nowadays to keep my play on a high level.

Bill Belichick displays human touch

Notoriously reticent Patriots coach opens up about Aaron Hernandez

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Many wondered what approach New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick would take in his highly anticipated Wednesday news conference, the first time he would publicly address a murder charge against Aaron Hernandez.

Maybe he would stonewall questions, as he often has when it comes to players no longer with the club. "I'll only talk about the players that are here." Or maybe he would read a carefully crafted statement, written with help from lawyers, and decline questions based on legal circumstances.

In these settings, he's known mostly for not revealing information, as well as any part of his non-coaching self. Few would have been surprised if that's the way it went down.

Yet Belichick delivered something altogether different -- a mix of the human touch in which he expressed personal hurt and disappointment, empathy for those affected by the tragedy, perspective on a life lost and also a respectful defense of the process in which he's vetted players over the past 14 years.

In all, Belichick spoke for about 22 minutes, the first seven consisting of opening remarks before fielding questions from the overflowing media crowd (approximately 100 in attendance) for the next 15. He was as open as we've seen him in his New England tenure, even though there were questions he didn't answer because of legal considerations.

Shortly before it began around 1:50 p.m. ET, there was a palpable tension and anticipation in the room. By the end, there was some laughter induced by Belichick's sense of humor.

This was different, for sure, with an added twist that Hernandez was about 10 miles down the road in Attleboro District Court for a probable cause hearing at about the same time.

Belichick arrived for the news conference wearing shorts and a blue Patriots pullover jacket, almost as if he had just come off the practice field, where he's most comfortable. He handed his white visor to an assistant before approaching the podium, with papers in hand. He would look down at times while reciting his opening remarks, which began with an explanation as to why the team was holding a news conference two days before its first practice, which is outside the norm.

"I'm going to address the situation involving Aaron Hernandez today. I felt that it was important enough to do that prior to the start of [training] camp," he began. "It's a sad day; really a sad day on so many levels."

It was an immediate tone-setter, followed up by words such as "shocked," "disappointed" and "hurt," as well as Belichick's endorsing the idea that the club has a responsibility to be a "pillar in the community."

This wasn't the Belichick we're used to seeing on a daily basis in news conferences, as he shared his personal whereabouts when Hernandez's name was first connected to the investigation (Belichick was out of the country), revealed that the Patriots didn't have knowledge of Hernandez's possible involvement in a double homicide in Boston in 2012 and said the club was doing everything possible to discover if any of his players had visited Hernandez's apartment in Franklin.

It came across as sincere, in part because Belichick didn't budge when talking about the team's player-evaluation system. It would have scored public relations points to say the club is going to change the way it vets players in light of Hernandez's murder charge, even if that wasn't the intention. He didn't.

Instead, he said the "fundamentals of the process" in which the team scouts and evaluates players on an ongoing basis won't change; there just might be some tweaks or modifications to it. It was a delicate mix of holding himself accountable, but at the same time defending a winning program he's spent countless hours building over the past 14 years.

"I'm proud of the hundreds of players that have come through this program, but I'm personally disappointed and hurt in a situation like this," he said. "We'll learn from this terrible situation.

"I'm primarily responsible for the people that we bring into the football operation. Obviously, this process is far from perfect, but it's the one that we've used from 2000 until today. Unfortunately, this most recent situation, with the charges involved, is not a good one on that record. ... Personally, I'm challenged by decisions that affect the team on a daily basis, and I'm not perfect on that either, but I always try to do what I think is best for the football team."

Belichick added some extra emphasis on those final words -- best for the football team -- which is one of his catchphrases when it comes to tough decisions he makes as the leader of the club.

He said that he would address Hernandez's murder charge once and that's all, so don't expect the same openness the next time he is scheduled to meet with reporters, Friday at 8:40 a.m. ET. He also relayed that players have been advised not to answer any Hernandez-based questions.

"It's time for the New England Patriots to move forward," Belichick declared. "Moving forward consists of what it's always been here: to build a winning football team, be a strong pillar in the community, be a team that our fans can be proud of. That's what we're here for."

Then he added: "My comments are certainly not in proportion to the unfortunate and sad situation that we have here."

That highlights the balance Belichick mostly struck on Wednesday in a news conference in which he surprised with his approach.

It was Belichick with the human touch.

Link to the entire press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom