• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.
if your team has only had losing seasons or disappointmnents for the past decade, why should anyone have any optimism?

also my jab was more at the dolphins and what they have done to this tortured fanbase, not tannehill

It has to turn around eventually right? Plus out of all the teams that have been bad for a while it seems like the Fins are doing the most to move in the right direction. Eagles are going to be terrible this year but I am still super excited for the season to start and see how they do.

KingGondo

Banned
Here is my ridiculously optimistic post:

Browns could start off the season 5-1.

now someone avatar quote me.
I actually agree that the early part of the schedule is the easiest, but even then I think 4-2 is best-case before we to to Green Bay. After that the only games I'm optimistic about are Jacksonville at home and @ NYJ.

They could. After a 0-1 start.
49669-Roy-and-Moss-fist-bump-gif-lnxt.gif

Boy, Fins fans sure are cocky all of a sudden.
We like to mess around but I think Spades and I both realize that it wouldn't be that crazy for the Phins to crash and burn like usual. I for one am definitely not overlooking the Browns, I think they'll be a lot better this season.

ChanHuk

Banned
It has to turn around eventually right? Plus out of all the teams that have been bad for a while it seems like the Fins are doing the most to move in the right direction. Eagles are going to be terrible this year but I am still super excited for the season to start and see how they do.

They made a lot of "We need to win now" moves this offseason, Phins overpaid for a one trick pony WR and an average LB.

Vyroxis

Banned
I actually agree that the early part of the schedule is the easiest, but even then I think 4-2 is best-case before we to to Green Bay. After that the only games I'm optimistic about are Jacksonville at home and @ NYJ.

I think 3-3 is a lot more likely. Bills, Fins, and Lions are all winnable, from easiest to hardest. Ravens, Vikings, Bengals will be the tough ones, from hardest to easiest.

Don't forget the any given Sunday rule, either.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm just talking the shit, man. As a Dolphins fan you learn quickly to not expect much
other than a week one demolition of the Browns
You're on the kitty's shit list now!
I think 3-3 is a lot more likely. Bills, Fins, and Lions are all winnable, from easiest to hardest. Ravens, Vikings, Bengals will be the tough ones, from hardest to easiest.

Don't forget the any given Sunday rule, either.
I agree. I didn't think the Browns would sniff 8 wins last year either though, and they weren't all that far away if you look at the Colts, Cowboys and first Ravens games.

They made a lot of "We need to win now" moves this offseason, Phins overpaid for a one trick pony WR and an average LB.

I think Wallace could be a lot more then just a deep threat, just because that is how the Steelers used him doesnt mean that is all he can do. I really think Arains is a terrible OC and by the time they finally got rid of him Mike was pissed about his contract. A change of scenery and a much better offensive system could lead to him having a really good year.

I definitely think the defense will keep us in alot games this year, but if we really are gonna play such a aggressive defense we'll give up our share of big plays. That's just somthing you have to take will a attacking defense though

Nate Ulrich (@NateUlrichABJ) tweeted at 9:25 AM on Fri, Jul 26, 2013:
#Browns WR David Nelson announces he's been medically cleared to return from knee injury: t.co/0fFQbyfV6h

Greg

I definitely think the defense will keep us in alot games this year, but if we really are gonna play such a aggressive defense we'll give up our share of big plays. That's just somthing you have to take will a attacking defense though I suppose.

BrownsBot
I fancy myself
11929 posts this site
ALL ABOARD THE TRENT TRUCK

KingGondo

Banned
I definitely think the defense will keep us in alot games this year, but if we really are gonna play such a aggressive defense we'll give up our share of big plays. That's just somthing you have to take will a attacking defense though
We really need Sheard, Kruger, and Haden to play to their ability for the defense to be as good as it can be.

They also became one of the youngest teams in the league. Both LB's they signed are younger, they have an extremely young backfield (and let the aging Bush go), and they took a risk by losing Long in favor of more youth. It's true that they spent some big bucks to try and improve quickly but you can't act like they aren't preparing for the future at all. Even Wallace is still very young, especially compared to the other guy everyone was talking about them picking up (Jennings). And most of their draft picks didn't lean towards "must win now" either, otherwise they would have taken a LT instead of the raw Dion Jordan, who may not even play much in his rookie season.

There were a lot of moving pieces during this offseason but I think the team is in a much better place to compete now and for the years to come than they were at this point last season, which is really all you can ask for at this point. The Wallace signing may come back to bite them but it was only one move of many.

Packers' PUP list:

Derek Sherrod
DuJuan Harris
J.C. Tretter
Jerel Worthy
Mike Neal
Sean Richardson
Chaz Powell

Sucks about Richardson. Neal LOL.

Packers being careful with Harris, should be cleared soon per Wilde.

I know Bruce Campbell is a bust and everything, but holy crap the dude just has THE LOOK (on the left):

That's a fucking insane build for an O-Lineman...I hope he can tap into his potential and be a diamond in the rough for the Panthers.

lol cool name but that's about it. doubt he makes your roster

They also became one of the youngest teams in the league. Both LB's they signed are younger, they have an extremely young backfield (and let the aging Bush go), and they took a risk by losing Long in favor of more youth. It's true that they spent some big bucks to try and improve quickly but you can't act like they aren't preparing for the future at all. Even Wallace is still very young, especially compared to the other guy everyone was talking about them picking up (Jennings). And most of their draft picks didn't lean towards "must win now" either, otherwise they would have taken a LT instead of the raw Dion Jordan, who may not even play much in his rookie season.

There were a lot of moving pieces during this offseason but I think the team is in a much better place to compete now and for the years to come than they were at this point last season, which is really all you can ask for at this point. The Wallace signing may come back to bite them but it was only one move of many.

I think we got the better LB in Burnett, and for cheaper.

Edit: whoops didn't mean to double post.

Wheeler and Burnett play the same except Wheeler likes to fly all over the field. Doesn't mean he'll make tackles though.

Yeah, Wheeler faded a lot by the end of the season as well. I think he just looked better than he is because he was playing on a shit team. Agree with his tackling too. Saw him miss quite a few where he didn't wrap up.

MechDX

if your team has only had losing seasons or disappointmnents for the past decade, why should anyone have any optimism?

also my jab was more at the dolphins and what they have done to this tortured fanbase, not tannehill

Because that is what being a fan is about? As much crap as I give Browns fans I respect them for staying and being hopeful. Better than the "Pat faithful".

I think we got the better LB in Burnett, and for cheaper.
I haven't seen enough of Wheeler to really know how he compares to Burnett, but stats-wise they are pretty similar and he's 2 years younger which is obviously something Miami is interested in. Burnett is alright but he isn't going to get you many turnovers and he's not great in pass protection. I remember reading that Wheeler was quicker, more athletic, and better in coverage --- I'm guessing you disagree?

ChanHuk

Banned
The production between Wheeler and Burnett are essentially the same. Like stated earlier Wheeler just looked good on a horrible defense. He was definitely lost in space as most LBs are, I liked him but wouldn't of given him the contract Miami gave him. Burnett came to Oakland for cheap, significantly cheaper than Wheeler. I like Wheeler a lot, he was just too expensive

squicken

Went to Rams Training Camp today

Offense:

Bradford looked Sharp and crisp in his passes and placement. No interceptions by the offense today. Bradford fumbled a snap. Zac Stacy fumbled and recovered his own fumble. One of the backups fumbled a snap too.

Tavon Austin and Jared Cook looked great. Cook had great hands and he will be hard to cover. Austin burned the defense multiple times. Had two catches in practice that would have been touchdowns. Bradford and Givens struggled to rediscover the connection they had last year, with Givens dropping a couple deep bombs. Brian Quick looked good. He is going and getting the ball and learning to use his size properly. He had some great hands. Bradford was airing it out a lot more. Darryl Richardson was the only RB that stood out. A few had a good run every once in awhile but nothing to separate them from the pack. The O line looked bad. Really bad. Jake Long got fucking schooled by Robert Quinn and there were a couple times on a corner or safety blitz that they got to the QB unchallenged and would have had an easy sack. The D Line dominated the O line on all teams.

Defense

The D Line looked dominant. We could totally lead the league in sacks for a second year in a row. Linebackers and safeties were great in run stuffing and stopping short yardage catches. Ogletree closes fast as shit. Darian Stewart's closing speed was also impressive. He and Mcdonald were getting the first team reps. Coverage was spotty. No one could stop Austin or Cook. The coverage improved later in the day, but it was horrendous at the beginning. Everyone was getting beat. Jenkins had to grab Givens jersey at one point to stop him from making a catch which caused some shoving for a second after. They cut it out pretty quick though. I doubt Fisher would put up with that shit

Special Teams: Zuerlein nearly murdered a cameraman on a cherrypicker. Dude noticed the ball coming at him fortunately and batted it down. Legatron looked more dependable. Hope he can take it into the game. Hekker took snaps at QB. I would like to see Fisher use trick plays more often. Hekker is absolutely a better QB than Tebow as the stats show from last year.

Overall: Pretty good first full squad practice. The projected starters were all taking first team reps which is great. Good news is there are less slants. Bad news is there are still a lot of slants. Just with better players. The O line is worrisome, as was the blown coverages early on. Austin and Cook were the stars of practice. Lots of cheers for them

I expect the OL to take awhile to get things together, and it's understandable they would get worked by the DL, which potentially is the best in the league. Thanks for the awesome writeup. Look forward to reading any of your thoughts as you see more.

Via Doerschuk.

"Nobody should start calling the quarterback Bootleg Brandon, but it was interesting that Mr. Weeden looked fairly smooth on a designed run.
First, during a dry run of plays that would be used in the subsequent 11-on-11 set, Weeden fed a convincing inside handoff to Richardson. Everyone (and by everyone I mean me) kept watching Richardson to see where he would cut. When I finally noticed he did not have the ball, there was Weeden making a quick burst over the opposite side."
Guess they ran two designed option plays yesterday, the old man running read option plays. Watch out!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Ex-Packer Greg Jennings questions Aaron Rodgers’ leadership

Jennings became the latest big-name Packer to sign with Green Bay’s archrival this offseason, going to the Minnesota Vikings as a free agent. Since then, the Packers’ former No. 1 receiver has taken a series of thinly veiled shots at Rodgers. He’s refused to call the quarterback by name, referring to him instead as “12” or “the guy they have now,” and he dismissed Green Bay’s offense as “cookie cutter.”

“For me, I’m such a team person, I’m going to defer to my teammates,” Jennings told the Star Tribune. “I’m going to defer to the team, to the team, to the team. And I think when you reach a point where you’re not deferring any longer, it’s no longer really about the team.

“Don’t get me wrong, ‘12’ is a great person,” Jennings added. “But when you hear all positives, all positives, all positives all the time, it’s hard for you to sit down when one of your teammates says, ‘Man, come on, you’ve got to hold yourself accountable for this.’ It’s hard for someone to see that now because all they’ve heard is I’m doing it the right way, I’m perfect. In actuality, we all have flaws.”

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...nings-questions-aaron-rodgers-leadership.html

Skip Bayless ripping into Aaron calling him a "immature prima donna".

Giants waived K David Buehler and picked up Ryan D'Imperio at FB. He was with the Vikings and Chiefs before this. I know nothing about the guy ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom