• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Brandon Newton

The old man's gonna be looking like this in no time.
tripleoption.gif

As teams get better at defending that, the safety will be coming downhill with a lot more steam than he is here. It won't happen all the time, but as defenses see it more, it's will happen every once in awhile, and guys not built like Cam aren't going to react well to that kind of hit

I haven't seen enough of Wheeler to really know how he compares to Burnett, but stats-wise they are pretty similar and he's 2 years younger which is obviously something Miami is interested in. Burnett is alright but he isn't going to get you many turnovers and he's not great in pass protection. I remember reading that Wheeler was quicker, more athletic, and better in coverage --- I'm guessing you disagree?

My biggest gripe with him was he's not a great tackler, terrible against the run and he faded near the end of the season. He was OK in zone coverage, but I wouldn't say he is much of an upgrade over Burnett. Like you said they're pretty similar stat wise, but I think his stats are a bit inflated due to playing on such a bad defense last year, and if you look at his career stats he never really had big numbers before last year. Burnett seems solid and consistent. Wheeler was pretty decent getting after the QB tho, so he can be used pretty effectively in your pass rush.

KingGondo

Banned
Guess they ran two designed option plays yesterday, the old man running read option plays. Watch out!
:jnc

Weeden had ONE rushing TD his entire career at OSU, and it came in his final game against Stanford.

Hell, we'd get down to the one and throw a fade to Blackmon. Every. Time.

My biggest gripe with him was he's not a great tackler, terrible against the run and he faded near the end of the season. He was OK in zone coverage, but I wouldn't say he is much of an upgrade over Burnett. Like you said they're pretty similar stat wise, but I think his stats are a bit inflated due to playing on such a bad defense last year, and if you look at his career stats he never really had big numbers before last year. Burnett seems solid and consistent. Wheeler was pretty decent getting after the QB tho, so he can be used pretty effectively in your pass rush.
Nice, thanks for the thoughts. I think the last point you mentioned is probably what got Ireland's attention the most (along with his age) since both he and Philbin really feel like the defense needs to improve at consistently pressuring the QB and forcing more turnovers. I guess they're willing to take a chance on his tacking abilities for the upgrade at rushing the QB, and even if he's a slight improvement in coverage over Burnett it will help the team a lot. The Dolphins have a very solid line and should be great against the run even with Wheeler, but they struggled all season in coverage, particularly on mid-range stuff in the middle of the field.

You're right about Burnett being pretty solid and consistent, though. I hope he works out for you guys.

KingGondo

Banned
Seeing all these Cam Gifs and picturing Weeden is cracking me up.
I'm picturing that pointless run he had at the end of the first half against Philly last year.

I love the guy, but man that was an all-time bad performance. Get stuck under the flag, run for 50 pointless yards, miss open receivers, and throw 5 picks (including one on the potential game-tying/game-winning drive).

Oof.

Jets update:

@MMehtaNYDN: Will Santonio Holmes play this season? He says: "I can"t answer that question right now"

Jane McManus @janesports 3m

Holmes said he doesn't know of any athlete who has recovered from his exact injury. Said doctors can't say for sure when he will. #Jets #NFl

If you were wondering why they signed Braylon Edwards.

BigAT

Giants waived K David Buehler and picked up Ryan D'Imperio at FB. He was with the Vikings and Chiefs before this. I know nothing about the guy ...

You mean RUTGERS OWN Ryan D'Imperio? Played linebacker in college, transitioned to FB after he got drafted. Heard he looked decent in practice in Minnesota, but they had a fullback already and it's one of those positions where you don't keep two guys. Sounds like a guy that will get a look in camp, but don't expect him to come in and automatically replace Hynoski.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
A lot of talk from the poors in the cat.gif league.

It's funny to watch you all as I sit here high atop my throne.

Finally, some football news trickling in with Training Camp firing up and a few signings to boot.

I have to say Keim continues to impress and sell himself as a good, legit GM. Abraham and Winston are some real nice depth who have a chance at starting. Abraham in a worse case scenario will be a great situational pass rusher and leadership that can help groom Acho and Okafor. I wouldn't be surprised if he beats out a rookie in Okafor, of course either but he looked like he still has gas in the tank last season. In any case, we only signed him to a 2 year deal so he won't handicap us in anyway, smart signing. Winston didn't look as good last year and Massie looked great the last 8 weeks so I'm a little nervous about bringing in a RT but if he can beat Massie out, then that means he's playing well and otherwise, we have solid depth in what was our greatest area of weakness. He's on a one year deal for the veteran minimum so we can't lose! He gets more money if he starts so that's incentive for him to play hard. You might say it shouldn't be difficult for him to start on the right side, but Massie allowed ZERO sacks the last half of the season when we played the Niners and Chickens. Between Cooper and Winston, it's clear we are finally starting to address the line. You can't make it great in one off season but it's nice to see this after Whiz and Graves ignored the hell out of it for so many years. Keim looks like the real deal :)

I wonder if Harvin will miss most of the season... Both Niners and Chickens have jack shit to throw to :) Well my boy Boldin but he's not going to do what crabby cakes did last year, he's getting up there in years.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I wonder if Harvin will miss most of the season... Both Niners and Chickens have jack shit to throw to :)
Man, last year sucked without any decent WRs. Harvin was going to be the first player Wilson could actually throw to!

God, some of you don't ever think.

effzee

Probably mentioned already but whateva I don't want to go back and read 2-3 pages:

Yahoo for some reason is defaulting all leagues to "autopick" for drafting. This is where the cpu picks for each and every manager based on yahoo rankings.

chuckd make sure NEOGAF stragglers league is switched to standard live draft. Also lets make the draft on the Sunday or Saturday before the first game (the thursday night game)

squicken

Guy who writes the NFCN blog for ESPN said Harvin once had a "camp" ankle that he missed practice for, but refused to get an MRI on. Harvin currently is still trying to lock down time frame for 2nd opinion on hip. So fret not Chickens fans, he could just not like to practice or care about winning

Man, last year sucked without any decent WRs. Harvin was going to be the first player Wilson could actually throw to!

God, some of you don't ever think.

So you're going to pretend this isn't a big blow to your offense? Little Wussel's gimmick won't work once defenses learn how to deal with the read option. Soon, soon.

Yahoo added some nice features to the fantasy app this year. You can finally do drafts from your phone and even mock drafts. I believe they added some other notification options as well. Speaking of which, what's the situation with the GAF leagues?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So you're going to pretend this isn't a big blow to your offense? Little Wussel's gimmick won't work once defenses learn how to deal with the read option. Soon, soon.
It just means we won't improve to broken status at yet another skill position. We were good at WR last year, so just remaining good is disappointing for sure, but that's about it. :D

Also, LOL at the idea that Wilson is just read option.

Guy who writes the NFCN blog for ESPN said Harvin once had a "camp" ankle that he missed practice for, but refused to get an MRI on. Harvin currently is still trying to lock down time frame for 2nd opinion on hip. So fret not Chickens fans, he could just not like to practice or care about winning

Don't you worry, Pete Carroll will whip him into shape!

Eleuin

Late on the Burnett extension but good for him, hope Shields is next.

Also gaming side are losing their godddamn minds.

Colasante

Important notes from Patriots practice, from various sources:

LB Jamie Collins: Second-round pick already is getting acclimated quickly and taking reps with the first-team defense at linebacker.

Hard not to notice that Brady took a ton of reps with Amendola, Dobson and (Kamar) Aiken, who appear to be the top receiver unit to start camp.

Marcus Cannon worked with the first offensive line unit a bit at right guard (L to R): Nate Solder, Logan Mankins, Ryan Wendell, Cannon, Sebastian Vollmer.

For those with an interest in the intangibles: veteran safety Adrian Wilson appears to have asserted himself quickly as a leader, greeting his teammates with high-fives and support as they came to the sideline. Seems like he'll have an impact off the field as well as on it.

I'm glad to see that Marcus Cannon and Jamie Collins are already operating with the first team units. Also happy that Dobson and Boyce are both healthy and look good so far.

If there is one thing Russell proved last year it is that his game is not a gimmick. Dude is legit.

It just means we won't improve to broken status at yet another skill position. We were good at WR last year, so just remaining good is disappointing for sure, but that's about it. :D

Also, LOL at the idea that Wilson is just read option.

I don't buy into him yet. Kaper either, both kids need to put together multiple successful seasons before crowning them great QBs. That's not to say I think they will be bad this year, just that I'm not convinced they will continue to play at a high level once defenses have their number. Hopefully that's this season but if not, next. If they are still tearing it up next season then I'll give them their dues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom