• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChanHuk

Banned
Alright my dearies. I just woke up from my nap and checked the gaming side for shits and giggles and what's this that they've spilled Mountain Dew over?

squicken

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/26/derek-mason-stanford-read-option/

Beddard also has a piece up on how Stanford stops the read option. Just as good as Chris Brown's thing on Grantland yesterday

edit: White board video of Stanford's DC at the bottom. Wherever Shaw ends up in the NFL next year, this will be his guy

The two biggest adjustments being made in professional football will ramp up once the pads are strapped on in training camp. Teams that favor a 4-3 single-gap defense are going to need a backup plan, meaning they’ll have to become a 3-4 team against the read-option. And all edge defenders will need to be retrained, if not brainwashed, on how to play their position.

But before jumping into the Sanskrit of X’s and O’s on Mason’s whiteboard, let’s take a step back and go over a few basics.

A defense letters the gaps in an offensive line. The spaces between the center and both guards are called the A gaps; the B gaps are between the guards and tackles; C gaps are between a tackle and a tight end; and D gaps are just beyond a tight end’s outside shoulder. Most defenders are assigned a gap on every snap. If a defensive tackle shoots the A gap, for instance, a linebacker would take the B. When you hear TV analysts saying a player is being undisciplined, it’s often because he’s chasing the flow of a play instead of minding his gap.

The best defense to stop a traditional running offense is the 3-4. With three down linemen responsible for the interior and two outside linebackers covering the edges, all the gaps are covered. The two inside linebackers react to the flow of a play and help form a wall, meaning a properly defensed running play should yield no room for a back to break through the line of scrimmage.

“If you’re playing single-gap defense, you’re going to be one gap short every time,”
Mason says, pausing at the whiteboard and turning around to make sure this important point is understood.

In a single-gap scheme, often a 4-3, a lineman is tasked with clogging one hole and making a tackle if the ballcarrier comes his way. In a two-gap scheme, often a 3-4, he’s responsible for the gap on either his left or right. His main job is to engage blockers so the linebackers behind him can make tackles. The 3-4 alone won’t stop the read-option, because it creates an extra gap, but it allows for the easiest adjustment.

Against a pocket passer in a traditional offense, gap responsibility stops at D. And the defense has the upper hand in such matchups, essentially playing 11 against 10 because the quarterback isn’t a threat to run. But when you introduce a QB who has the ability to fake an inside handoff and then scoot around the weak end of the defense­, the E gap is created in an area that is typically left unguarded. The game now becomes 11-on-11, the new math of the NFL.

MechDX

TvuzXhz.jpg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!! lol

QhNRZII.jpg

Save us TJ!!

dZVVMkN.jpg

Fuckin humidity! Who let the vagrant in?

YwCddMJ.jpg

"About damn time they drafted a #2!"- Dre

MechDX

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 27m
@johnson80 today-"I told myself that once I signed here I wasn't going to play for anybody else. I wanted to be a part of something special"
Expand Reply
Retweet
Favorite
More

I just love this guy! Win it for Dre bitches!!

As teams get better at defending that, the safety will be coming downhill with a lot more steam than he is here. It won't happen all the time, but as defenses see it more, it's will happen every once in awhile, and guys not built like Cam aren't going to react well to that kind of hit

What if your safeties are glorified CBs that can't tackle?

tumblr_lglg8x8BwZ1qdr5wi.gif

Colasante

What are the alternatives when your depth is shit?

Michael Jenkins was the starting wide receiver opposite Danny Amendola for OTAs and minicamps. If he was the starter on day one, Stephon Gilmore would shut him down with ease. Dobson and Boyce wouldn't be getting reps with the first team if Belichick didn't deem them worthy, so I'm quite happy to see it. They at least give the passing offense a potential spark.

Pimpwerx

So Dolphins coaches seem really high on Tanny this year. A lot of chatter about how much he's improved. I can't wait. On the other hand, I'm hearing a lot about Jonathon Martin getting abused by our pass rush. I was hoping he'd have made a big jump this year too. PEACE.

brentech

I don't camp out in the gaming side threads, but I don't remember anyone saying either system only used a gig for the OS. People must be high.

I don't camp out in the gaming side threads, but I don't remember anyone saying either system only used a gig for the OS. People must be high.
XBone had been confirmed to use 3GB for its multiple OS's for awhile. Those that wanted to shit on Microsoft used it as a laughing point. "Oh it uses 3GB for shit other than gaming! LULZ!"

People speculated based on early design leaks (when the PS4 was still using 4GB of GDDR5) that the OS would use between 512-1GB of memory. There was zero substantiation to that number. It was just thrown out there and used as a way to push the superiority of the PS4 by those on the other side of the fence.

Contrary to the hyperbole (even by yankeehater above) the only thing it changes is peoples stupid perceptions and little else. I look forward to year 3 or 4 of next generation so the console wars horse shit can die down.

XBone had been confirmed to use 3GB for its multiple OS's for awhile. Those that wanted to shit on Microsoft used it as a laughing point.

People speculated based on early design leaks (when the PS4 was still using 4GB of GDDR5) that the OS would use between 512-1GB of memory. There was zero substantiation to that number. It was just thrown out there and used as a way to push the superiority of the PS4.

Contrary to the hyperbole (even by yankeehater above) the only thing it changes is peoples stupid perceptions and little else. I look forward to year 3 or 4 of next generation so the console wars horse shit can die down.

I thought that Jonathan Blow was the one that said it would only use a gig for the OS. As far as it being hyperbole people had being claiming that the PS4 would be much more powerful then the competition and a big part of that was it using 7 gigs of RAM for games. If it does indeed only use 4.5/5.5 that does make a difference.
I dont see how saying that is hyperbole at all.

XBone had been confirmed to use 3GB for its multiple OS's for awhile. Those that wanted to shit on Microsoft used it as a laughing point. "Oh it uses 3GB for shit other than gaming! LULZ!"

People speculated based on early design leaks (when the PS4 was still using 4GB of GDDR5) that the OS would use between 512-1GB of memory. There was zero substantiation to that number. It was just thrown out there and used as a way to push the superiority of the PS4 by those on the other side of the fence.

I want my OS to run smoothly and my games to look and play well. I couldn't care less how they pull it off.

I thought that Jonathan Blow was the one that said it would only use a gig for the OS. As far as it being hyperbole people had being claiming that the PS4 would be much more powerful then the competition and a big part of that was it using 7 gigs of RAM for games. If it does indeed only use 4.5/5.5 that does make a difference.
Blow's tweets mentioned PS4 has 5GB of RAM available for his game (and it seems he was right if that Eurogamer.net article is correct)

What armchair engineers claim on a videogame forum is fucking meaningless for 95% of the posts over there. Read most tech articles that discuss the differences in hardware and the reason the PS4 is theoretically more powerful is because of the speed of its unified memory and a more powerful GPU. Not just some arbitrary number available to developers. Plain and simple.

Will that manifest itself in PS4 games? In multiplatform games? I haven't played a PS4 game or an Xbox One game so I prefer to see that in action before speculating superiority in visuals or graphics performance. Claiming "this changes everything" from a development standpoint is ridiculous.

It certainly changes everything........that will get argued and discussed on GAF for the next three months. That's about it.

I want my OS to run smoothly and my games to look and play well. I couldn't care less how they pull it off.
Yep. The most amusing shit I've read in that thread is people going on *GASP* 5GB isn't enough to run next generation games! PS4 preorder canceled!

brentech

who the fuck cares about anything Jonathan Blow says? dudes a total douche-bag that couldn't get along with himself if somehow duplicated. fuck that pretentious scum.

Blow's tweets mentioned PS4 has 5GB of RAM available for his game. Nothing more.

What armchair engineers claim on a videogame forum is fucking meaningless. Read most tech articles that discuss the differences in hardware and the reason the PS4 is theoretically more powerful is because of the speed of its unified memory and a more powerful GPU. Not just some arbitrary number available to developers. Plain and simple.

Will that manifest itself in PS4 games? In multiplatform games? I haven't played a PS4 game so I prefer to see that in action before speculating superiority in visuals or graphics performance. Claiming "this changes everything" from a development standpoint is ridiculous.

It certainly changes everything........that will get argued and discussed on GAF for the next three months. That's about it.

No one said it changes everything. You are putting your own emphasis on it to come up with that. All I said is that it changes things if true, less RAM available for games is a change. I cant believe you are trying to spin it as if it isnt.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Didn't expect to see this on fxguide. Behind the scenes quick look at a Fox Sports commercial regarding CG crowd generation via Massive:

http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/vfx-in-tvcs-how-to-make-a-crowd/

To help launch new network FOX Sports 1, director Joseph Kahn created ‘Happy Days’ – a journey across football, NASCAR, baseball and other sports. Stadium and arena crowds were generated by a52 using a custom Massive pipeline.

During filming, a52 carried out some extensive on-set data acquisition – from locations in five cities shot over 10 days.
“We took multiple HDR’s at each location, laser distance and survey information to help with tracking and geometry placement in 3D, and plotted camera positions on field to match angles for stadium replacements,” says CG supervisor Kirk Shintani. “We took reference photos of everything as well. All of this was sent back to the office every day so the team was able to keep moving forward while the shoot was ongoing.”

The crowd generation began with considering reference from existing footage. “We watched several clips of Raven’s games, USC football, NASCAR races and all the events covered in this spot,” recalls TD Chris Janney. “Kirk and I spent hours going over reference photos of fans, making a list of all sorts of apparel and props fans brought to the games. You’ll see everything from checkered flags in the NASCAR shots, to foam fingers in NFL and baseball. There are over 1,500 textures for hats, hair, parkas, ponchos, sunglasses, shorts, pants, tank tops, and maybe a beer helmet or two. We looked for what made these events fun for fans and tried to cover all the bases…pun intended.”

a52 set up a Massive–Maya–V-Ray pipeline that took the tracked plates, placed planes where seating existed and then curves with points for every seat. “This was exported to Massive as terrain (the planes) and placement (the curves) with the number of agents per curve based on the number of points on that curve,” says Janney.
“The agent assignment and weighting was also done in this process, so we were writing out a Massive .mas file from Maya with agent groups, placement and percentages.”

“Now in Massive,” continues Janney, “we would check for bad locators, (fallen off the terrain, overlapping, reversed orientation, etc) as well as adding some noise and randomness to their location. Finally, we would create our sim layers, and command-line sim all the crowds, whose final outcome was a VRay .vrscene file.”

For lighting, artists created a tool enabling a lighter to browse to the latest version of the Massive .vrscene file. “Based on frame offset, etc. we would be rendering out the Massive crowds from Maya, then submitting them to Deadline for rendering on our render farm,”
says Janney. “We created some great tools which really cut down on not only the time to move shots down the line, but really reducing the time needed to train people on using these tools.”

Shintani suggests that what made the crowds convincing was “the attention to detail in creating textures and props for them as well as tying the reaction of the AI crowds to the action of the plates. Each event has its own set of props. Each event has its own crowd. There was no ‘one size fits all’ for us on this spot.”

SZsKtp1.jpg

Z7IdiCL.jpg

No word on if Fox is looking into real-time implementation of this to fill out home Jaguars games.

No one said it changes everything. You are putting your own emphasis on it to come up with that. All I said is that it changes things if true, less RAM available for games is a change.
Yes, because developers working on the PS4 have NO CLUE how much RAM they have to work with for their games. None. They have no communication with Sony or what's happening on the development kit front and the decision to only allow for 5GB of RAM for games was made today! Thank god Eurogamer was there to enlighten them so they can make the proper adjustments.

yankeehater said:
I cant believe you are trying to spin it as if it isnt
lol

XiaNaphryz said:
Madden 25 looks great!*

*sarcasm

These console wars are so tiresome.
I've owned every available console since I was 15. I'll buy every one of them this generation. I'll never understand tying allegiance to some corporate name. Though if I were ever considered to be a fanboy of anything it probably would have been Sega back in the day and I still owned and loved my SNES. As a gamer, I miss the Sega of old regularly.:(

Talon

I've owned every available console since I was 15. I'll never understand tying allegiance to some corporation. Though if I were ever considered to be a fanboy of anything it would have been Sega back in the day. As a gamer, I miss the Sega of old often.:(
Agreed. Makes no sense. These corporations don't need a marching army of nerds. I mean, granted, the SDF vs. Xbot wars had been replaced with Apple v. Google zealots, which is just as tiresome.

The funny thing is that the regulars in the iOS/iPhone threads and Android threads aren't zealots at all. Hell, seems like up to half of us use both platforms.

But whenever a threads pops up in the OT for product announcements or what not. Dear God, kill me.

BigAT

More good news for the Redskins:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Washington's Jarvis Jenkins suspended for first four games of season for violating NFL policy on performance enhancing substances.

mr2xxx

Banned
More good news for the Redskins:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Washington's Jarvis Jenkins suspended for first four games of season for violating NFL policy on performance enhancing substances.

Carriker out for probably the year, now this shit! Besides we all know it is "adderall" so no biggie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom