• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/49313/details-on-jon-beasons-restructured-deal

gettleman_dave.jpg

africanpraise_zpsea9c87d0.gif

Nice having a competent GM for once.

Pimpwerx

Motion to ban linking to Bleacher Report "stories*".

*AKA multi-page click bait.

They got bought by TNT, didn't they? TNT references them all the time on their NBA broadcasts. Ethan Skolnick writes for them now, as do some other notable sports writers. It's not as bad a site as it was in previous years. PEACE.

RBH

Jerry Jones let some intrigue into the room Saturday when he told the assembled media at Dallas Cowboys training camp in Oxnard, Calif., that the prospect of an NFL team in Los Angeles is "closer than ever."

On Wednesday, Jones -- a California native, for the record -- expanded on his thoughts during an interview with NFL Network.

"I feel more imminent about a team being in here, that it's more imminent than any time since we haven't had a team in Los Angeles," Jones said. "And yes, this market is a huge market, it's a little bit of a black eye for all of us to have had this many years and not had an NFL team in Los Angeles.

"The owners don't mess much up ... but we haven't gotten this one right. There's people, there's locations, there are people that are interested, a lot of people that can help us put this thing together. And as it turns out that we have at least two teams ... that could move to this area."

Jones was asked where a prospective team (or two!) would come from.

"There won't be any expansion," he said. "So it will be teams that move."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...jones-two-nfl-teams-could-move-to-los-angeles

RBH

Jones went on to say, "I think we're closer. I say that not just wishing. I say that, technically, because I'm aware of some things that make sense." While Jones wouldn't give a timetable on the league's return, in an interview with Sports Illustrated's Peter King on Monday, Jones said, "I wouldn't be surprised if within months … I don't know … that you'd have an announcement of intent to come to Los Angeles."
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/...arrives-years-nfl-not-return-los-angeles-long

RBH

The Raiders' lease to play at the O.co Coliseum, formerly known as the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, expires after the 2013 season. Meanwhile, the Rams can get out of their lease agreement with the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission to play at the Edward Jones Dome after the 2014 season.

The third team in play for L.A., the San Diego Chargers, can announce their intention to leave San Diego between Feb. 1 and May 1 of each year through 2020 if they pay an early termination fee tied to the bonds used to expand Qualcomm Stadium in 1997.

There also has been a lot of talk about the Jacksonville Jaguars, but the Jaguars' lease to play at EverBank Field runs through the 2029 season, and if the Jaguars wanted to leave before then, they would be required to prove they had lost money in three consecutive seasons or convince a local judge that the city was failing to properly maintain the stadium. After announcing $63 million in enhancements to the stadium last month, neither is happening anytime soon.

So the only team that was really able and considering a move to Los Angeles over the past five years -- during which multiple stadium projects in L.A. were announced and talked about -- was the Chargers. After this season, however, the Raiders will be able to move, and after the following season, the Rams will be able to move. Suddenly, there will be three teams vying to become Los Angeles' NFL team, or, as Jones called it, "the most attractive sports opportunity in the world."

St. Louis Rams
Earlier this month, the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission, which runs the Edward Jones Dome, announced the facility would not get the publicly funded, $700 million upgrade that the Rams requested. The announcement opens the door for the Rams to break their lease with the Dome after the 2014 season and possibly return to Los Angeles.

The Rams called Southern California home from 1946 to 1994 but bolted before they could celebrate their 50th anniversary in the Southland because then-Rams owner Georgia Frontiere, who died in 2008, got a sweetheart deal in St. Louis by which the city would pay for a brand new dome stadium and promise that the stadium would be ranked in the top quarter in the league 20 years later or the team could break its lease and move. Well, nearly 20 years later, St. Louis is still paying off the original construction debt of the Dome, which has now become one of the league's older venues, can't afford the renovations to make it a "top-tier" facility and the Rams are looking to move again.

Stan Kroenke, who owns the Rams, lives in Denver and has a beachfront home in Malibu, Calif. He is a longtime friend and business partner of fellow Denver billionaire Philip Anschutz, who owns Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) and is behind the company's proposed football stadium in downtown Los Angeles, Farmers Field. Kroenke made a failed bid to buy the Los Angeles Dodgers and has been seen courtside at several Los Angeles Lakers games and frequently talks with Anschutz, raising the possibility that the Rams could be coming home after the 2014 season.

Oakland Raiders
The Raiders are currently trying to get a new stadium in Oakland, a city which seems to be on the verge of losing all its pro sports teams. The NBA's Golden State Warriors plan to play in a new arena in San Francisco by the start of the 2017-18 season. The Oakland Athletics are currently trying to move to San Jose, Calif., where the A's owners have an option on some land in the heart of Silicon Valley. And the Raiders, well, they're waiting patiently for a new home, but that patience is running thin.

After longtime owner Al Davis passed away two years ago, his son, Mark, took over the team, and one of his main goals has been to get the team into a brand new stadium. He has refused to sign another short-term lease to play in Oakland without an agreement on a new stadium. The Raiders recently commissioned a study that found enough demand in Oakland for a 56,500-seat football stadium, which would easily be the smallest stadium in the NFL. The problem is the team isn't in position to cover even half the costs of a proposed $800 million stadium that size, and there's basically no chance of the team getting public funding from a city in debt.

There has been talk of the Raiders possibly moving to Santa Clara, Calif., to play in the San Francisco 49ers' new $1.2 billion Levi's Stadium, which is set to open in time for the 2014 season, but at this time, that doesn't seem like a plan that either team is comfortable with.

Mark Davis spends a good amount of time in Los Angeles and was a courtside fixture at Los Angeles Clippers games last season. He has said publicly his goal is to keep the team in Oakland, but if a decision on the NFL to Los Angeles happens "within months," as Jones said, it might come as a result of Davis selling the Raiders to Anschutz. The two have talked in the past, but sources say Anschutz continues to lowball owners in his negotiations, and Davis seems reluctant to part with controlling interest of the team.

San Diego Chargers
The Chargers have tried unsuccessfully to build a new stadium to replace Qualcomm Stadium for about a decade, and they are no closer to getting one now than they were when they first started. That's partly because they've had more stadium proposals over that time than Los Angeles. They've looked at options in Chula Vista, Escondido, Oceanside, Mission Valley and are now looking at downtown San Diego.

Their most recent proposal to build a stadium in downtown San Diego, which would be a part of an expanded San Diego Convention Center, seems destined for the same fate as its predecessors for a variety of reasons. The San Diego Convention Center wants nothing to do with a Chargers stadium, and the City of San Diego isn't offering any public funding to build the stadium. Even if it was, the commitment certainly wouldn't be enough to fund more than half of the facility.

Earlier this month, the Chargers' chief marketing officer, Ken Derrett, said in addition to the $200 million the NFL would contribute to a new stadium, Chargers owner Dean Spanos would contribute only $100 million, which would leave a gap of about $1 billion to get the project completed.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/...arrives-years-nfl-not-return-los-angeles-long

fuck the raiders

fuck the jags

anyway, I think the rams or chargers are more likely to move than the raiders. at least right now. I don't even think anyone wants us. unless davis does decide to sell, which I think is possible. davis should just kiss a little ass and try to get a lease at the levi stadium.

If we lose Harvin we'll have to be content with beating the Cards by only 58 like the last time. Would've been 100-0 with him :(

Yawn I doubt any fucks were really given by fans from either side. Every defense shitted on Skeletor and Lindley so that's no feat and our D was so disgusted by the putrid offense on display week after week that they had enough. We both know that game will never happen again. Oh the record we would have had if we just had a mediocre QB....well we do now! Maybe better since these are the best weapons he's ever had. NFC West will be fun to watch this year.

Nori Chan

gator still hasn't accepted he's a jags fan? what a douche

this is the part where he makes fun of the team i like and say the jags are better than them and the pats are good and insults my qb

jakncoke

Banned
gator still hasn't accepted he's a jags fan? what a douche

this is the part where he makes fun of the team i like and say the jags are better than them and the pats are good and insults my qb

your qb is a douchturd and your chargers should move to san juan suck on them dicks norichan

JABEE

Tarell Brown Update:

Andrew Brandt said:
Asked Overstreet if he had any other clients on the @49ers. Said "No. And hope to never have another one there!!" Oh.

https://twitter.com/adbrandt/status/360889798661124096

Overstreet is pretty pissed off. This whole $2 million fine makes him look incompetent. Sounds like he's trying to blame the 49ers. I don't know what basis there is for that.

Overstreet is going to be sued. He's going to lose tons of business too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom