• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Gotta question any NFL writer who is surprised by Amendola. It's all there on film. He's an amazing technician who goes 100% every play. All that matters is his health. He'll catch 100 passes easy if he is healthy for 16 games. What made Welker so special was playing from the slot and not getting hurt

bionic77

Nope. Bill is the devil and Tom is his son. Your franchise sold its soul to be smited twice by Eli "The hand of god" Manning

Enjoy eternal damnation Patriots!
Bill ain't the devil.

He is just a scumbag who cheats and likes to fuck married women.

I can't argue that Tom is the son/daughter of the Devil though.

Gotta question any NFL writer who is surprised by Amendola. It's all there on film. He's an amazing technician who goes 100% every play. All that matters is his health. He'll catch 100 passes easy if he is healthy for 16 games. What made Welker so special was playing from the slot and not getting hurt

Yep, still not worth 7 million

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I've seen the future.

Johnny-Maziel-Tim-Tebow-Johnny-Football-Tim-Tebow-Johnny-Maziel-Tim-Tebow-Johnny-Football-Tim-Tebow.jpg

49ers' Kaepernick is an uplifting presence
By Matthew Barrows
mbarrows@sacbee.com
Published: Sunday, Jul. 28, 2013 - 12:00 am | Page 1C
Last Modified: Sunday, Jul. 28, 2013 - 8:52 am
SANTA CLARA – Anyone worried whether Colin Kaepernick's sudden celebrity has altered the 49ers' quarterback or turned him Hollywood-soft need only arrive at the team practice facility at, oh, 5:55 on any given morning.

There you'd find Kaepernick's white Jaguar sedan – recompense for one of the ads he shot this offseason – in the first stall of the parking lot and Kaepernick on a bench in the weight room. Or sprinting across the practice field. Or tethered, via a 10-foot chain, to a stack of 35-pound plates he's dragging across the turf.

Michael Wilhoite, a young reserve inside linebacker eager to stay on the squad last year, said he'd routinely arrive before sunrise intending to be the first player in the weight room. Instead, he'd find Kaepernick, then a backup to Alex Smith, had beaten him into the office.

"And it's the same situation this year," Wilhoite said. "You walk in and he's already drinking his protein shake. Because he's already done with his workout."

Kaepernick's fame hasn't dimmed his work ethic, and it hasn't changed his everyman appeal, either.

Coach Jim Harbaugh said he's never seen a quarterback who moves among different age groups, different cliques, different positions in the locker room like Kaepernick. That's what makes him a unique leader – he not only has everyone's respect, he has everyone's affection.

"You don't always see that, but I see that with Kap," Harbaugh said. "He's universally respected in the locker room and loved by his teammates. I guess I see that from the 25-to-35 demographic, too, buying jerseys. People relate to him. They like his company, they like being around him, and I've noticed that very much from our team."

Indeed, universality has become Kaepernick's signature.

His biological parents are biracial. He was adopted by a Midwest family who moved to California. He's a quarterback who's known as much for his running ability as his powerful right arm.

The notion his tattooed arms and torso make him appear thuggish – silly and old-fashioned when it was written in the Sporting News in November – seems even more absurd now after an offseason when advertisers approached him in droves. His body art literally has become a selling point.

Buttoned-up Jaguar shot a series of commercials with Kaepernick in its F-Type sports car in May. He also has deals with Nike, MusclePharm, Yahoo Fantasy Football and SK Energy, an energy drink created by rapper Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson.

His No. 7 jersey has been the league's top seller since April. And further evidence an inked-up athlete is no longer seen as menacing – he's wildly popular among children. Kaepernick found that out when he was mobbed by kids at an Xbox event in Corte Madera last month.

When nose tackle Ian Williams visited a Boys & Girls Club in his native Orlando, Fla., this offseason, the kids there politely asked about him, the hometown hero, but they really were interested whether Williams ever hung out with Kaepernick.

"It was, 'Do you know Kaepernick? I mean I like you, but I love Kap! I want his jersey!' " Williams said with a laugh.

Williams knows the quarterback quite well. He and Demarcus Dobbs, two undrafted defensive linemen in 2011, were part of Kaepernick's rookie class. They remain among his closest friends on the team, heading to his house to play video games or chatting about Kaepernick's favorite topic – sneakers.

"He'll walk off the practice field and he'll headbutt Justin (Smith) or Ray (McDonald)," Williams said. "He's still the same. He's still focused. He's a good guy. He's my boy."

Another indication Kaepernick doesn't feel his status and celebrity have put him above his mates: He anticipates repercussions from perhaps his most well-known offseason venture, the ESPN The Magazine cover from earlier this month in which tattoos are the only thing he's wearing.

So far, Kaepernick said, there have been no related hijinks. But he knows they're coming.

"I haven't had anything real bad yet," he said. "So I feel like they're plotting on me right now."

Wilhoite insists the quarterback has nothing to fear.

"No, I give him props," he said of the magazine shoot. "It takes a lot of guts to do that. He worked hard on his body, and he's always in the weight room. So I think everything he's getting right now he deserves."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/07/28/5602481/49ers-kaepernick-is-an-uplifting.html#storylink=cpy

THEN WHY DID HE HAVE THE DOLPHINS HAT BART? WHY DID HE HAVE THE DOLPHINS HAT!

MechDX

Bill ain't the devil.

He is just a scumbag who cheats and likes to fuck married women.

I can't argue that Tom is the son/daughter of the Devil though.

And poor Tim is being sacrificed to stop the unholy evil. It is the perfect example of Good vs. Evil for modern times.

Well last year Eagles fans assured us that they had by far the deepest and most talented receiving corps in the history of football, so surely they can absorb an injury or two.

No Eagles fan said that last year. Everyone knows that Avant sucks now and defense have totally adjusted to Djax going deep. That discussion about the Eagles having a deep WR corp was in 2010 I believe. I have no idea why you are trying to play it off like it happened last year. Losing Maclin totally destroys their offense. Teams will double Djuax now and just cover Avant with a LB and the Eagles wont be able to complete a pass longer then 5 yards. Any hope that they had for this year is gone now.

No Eagles fan said that last year. Everyone knows that Avant sucks now and defense have totally adjusted to Djax going deep. That discussion about the Eagles having a deep WR corp was in 2010 I believe. I have no idea why you are trying to play it off like it happened last year. Losing Maclin totally destroys their offense. Teams will double Djuax now and just cover Avant with a LB and the Eagles wont be able to complete a pass longer then 5 yards. Any hope that they had for this year is gone now.

lulz you're alright in my book yankee

This is the last "Sunday" w/o a football game for the rest of the year

thank christ i can't take it anymore

bionic77

And poor Tim is being sacrificed to stop the unholy evil. It is the perfect example of Good vs. Evil for modern times.
Just Tims presence is causing them to self destruct,

Bill thought he could corrupt Tim and make him into a STD ridden , motherfucking thug like the rest of the team. When the Patriot Way failed on Tim then the whole thing just fell apart before our eyes.

squicken

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/26/ryan-kalil-carolina-panthers-3q/

VRENTAS: How do you respond to people who say Cam Newton isn’t the right person to be the Panthers quarterback?

KALIL: I’ve been a big fan of Cam from the beginning. He’s the guy who will lead this team to better seasons. Through all the controversy, through all the turmoil, he’s done a great job of evaluating himself and figuring out what he needs to do better—not just as a quarterback but as the leader of this team. By default he is the guy everyone looks to. Whether you like it or not, whether you’re 30 or you’re 20, that’s the one spot that has to be more level-headed than the rest of the guys. He’s done a good job of recognizing that. He’s heard the comments and the suggestions of his teammates and coaches, and he’s really done a good job of saying, ‘I need to be better at this, I need to be better at that.’ So that’s inspiring. And that’s all you can really ask for: Someone who recognizes that they haven’t arrived and that they need to do a better job, and figuring out a way to do that to the best of their ability.”

Maybe I am just a Negative Nancy, but this sure doesn't sound like a really good thing

squicken

You're being a Negative Nancy.

I'm not quite sure why you hate Cam so much? I've seen you take pretty much anything a teammate says about Cam and try to twist it into something negative.

I am not a fan. I think QBs need to be more than just players. It's why I am such a Russell Wilson fan. He stepped in Day One as a backup third round pick, and established himself as the leader of the team. That's what you want as fan from the QB position. It's not everything. No one seems to like Aaron Rodgers but they do just fine

Bowser, would you trade Cam for Russell straight up, assuming the exact same contract status and financials?

Bowser

I'm very interested in seeing how well Kaep does this season without Crabtree and a full offseason of of teams preparing for him. Clearly threw Cam off his game in the beginning of last season before he adjusted and responded well over the last 9 games.

I am not a fan. I think QBs need to be more than just players. It's why I am such a Russell Wilson fan. He stepped in Day One as a backup third round pick, and established himself as the leader of the team. That's what you want as fan from the QB position. It's not everything. No one seems to like Aaron Rodgers but they do just fine

Bowser, would you trade Cam for Russell straight up, assuming the exact same contract status and financials?

While it's tempting because you included the clause of contact status/financials (Russell is locked in at a super team friendly rate for the next three years), I still say no, because ultimately I don't believe Russell is durable enough to keep doing what he has done. I think in the end, he will have to transition to being solely a passer, and I still have doubts that he can do that when teams take away his running threat. Brees has proven that you can do it, but he's the only one. I have been very impressed with Russ, but again, as with Kaep, I'm interested to see how he well he does this season now that teams have a full offseason to plan for him.

I'm very interested in seeing how well Kaep does this season without Crabtree and a full offseason of of teams preparing for him. Clearly threw Cam off his game in the beginning of last season before he adjusted and responded well over the last 9 games.

"a full offseason of teams preparing for him". how about a full season of kap getting all the reps and harbs tutelage? kap doesn't pout when things go wrong and he doesn't get down on himself. look at the playoff game against GB. throws a pick 6 on the first drive, doesn't let it ruin him and comes back to absolutely obliterate the packers. can you ever envision cam doing that?

Since when is Michael Crabtree the sort of guy that makes a QB's career? :jnc

hey! remember how crabcakes was putting up pro-bowl numbers year after year without kap?

Bowser

Since when is Michael Crabtree the sort of guy that makes a QB's career? :jnc

He's not a superstar, but he and Kaep clearly had chemistry. Can Kaep and Boldin develop the same type of chemistry?

"a full offseason of teams preparing for him". how about a full season of kap getting all the reps and harbs tutelage? kap doesn't pout when things go wrong and he doesn't get down on himself. look at the playoff game against GB. throws a pick 6 on the first drive, doesn't let it ruin him and comes back to absolutely obliterate the packers. can you ever envision cam doing that?

Valid point. As I said, it will be interesting to see which wins out - Kaep getting all the reps, or teams focusing on stopping him.

And yes, Cam does need to develop that emotional keel. Not everyone comes in ready to handle the ups and downs of the NFL and take it play by play. To his credit, he's worked hard on developing that. But as they say, the proof is in the pudding. I have high hopes for him coming into this season and I hope he'll be able to carry over his performance from the last 9 games of 2012.

Giants Will Hill admits to marijuana use as a coping mechanism for getting held up at gunpoint ( go see a shrink, Will):

Giants’ safety Will Hill learned firsthand that the fame and fortune that comes with being a professional athlete isn’t always all that it’s cracked up to be.

Whenever he’d return to his old stomping grounds for a visit, it seemed that if one social pressure wasn’t pulling at Hill, it was another. Those pressures ultimately led him to find a coping mechanism through marijuana, the substance for which he tested positive in an NFL-administered drug screening last year.

“Everyone was reaching their hand out thinking I’m an ATM, and people who think you owe them something,” Hill said during a candid ten-minute interview with the media today. “It was just a situation where I was visiting back to my hometown and a guy pulled a shotgun on me right then and wanted money. How do you deal with those situations? I really can’t so I dealt with it the best way I knew how.”

When Hill, who will need to serve a four-game suspension starting with week one of the regular season, learned of his fate, he said that the Giants organization threw its support behind him in trying to appeal the ruling.

Ultimately, though, the league’s decision stood, the result being another black eye for the talented second-year safety out of Florida who last year served a four-game suspension after testing positive for Adderall, which falls under the league’s Performance Enhancement Drug policy.

Looks like the team knew about it before the suspension and don't plane to cut him.

Matrix like 360 degree replays coming from NBC. Debuts for the Giants/Cowboys opener:

http://gizmodo.com/matrix-like-360-replays-are-going-to-take-over-sunday-n-935949674

There's no question that the most boring part of any football game is waiting for the referees to respond to a coach's challenge. But the agony of the endless replay is going to ease up at least a little bit this season, with NBC's Matrix-style 360-degree replays giving us plenty of space-aged eye candy to fill the time.

The breakthrough in replay technology will be enabled by the placement of a whopping 24 cameras in each end zone, allowing every possible play perspective to be stitched together into one comprehensive view that would have really blown your mind back in 1999.

The tech will go into effect starting September 8th for the Cowboys-Giants game. There's no word yet on if referees will forego the traditional coin toss for a round of red pill/blue pill.

bionic77

Real football news. Adams, future hall of famer tackle, for the Steelers has done well after his vicious stabbing attack and is ready to go for the start of the season.

Police have not determined if it was done by Hernandez or a Ravens player yet.

jakncoke

Banned
Cat Scratch Reader ‏@CatScratchReadr 22mGraham Gano is playing center in the weirdest line drill ever.

Kicker at Center. What crazy cat drill is this

squicken

Jim Irsay ‏@JimIrsay
Committed millions of dollars CASH over cap..but I believe EVERY move by Ryan and Chuck,was well thought out n NOT FLASH,but WISDOM,dictated

Crazy Jim Irsay is back. You know it's football season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom