• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who plans on seeing that movie, I'd like to know if that's a snarky spoiler or a spoiler spoiler?
It's a snarky spoiler.

Megatron, Suh, Fairley and of course Stafford are all heading into their prime together, and playing together for at least 3 years. The compontents to a dynasty are in the works if Stafford can stay healthy, with the young defensive line we have put together.
I came thisclose to a legit spit take just now.

bionic77

I see it wouldn't be an NFL thread page without a :kas sighting.

Oh and the Pats morons continuing to believe their *'s are legit. :jnc

Bionic - I just read the Steelers' page in ProFootball magazine talking about our season. The two pics were a big fat head of Ben and Timmons's alien looking mug. We definitely got ourselves some dudes who look like they were run over by a Bus.
I was watching some NFL network and Ben looked skinny as fuck. He has not looked this scrawny since he was a rookie. He was also undefeated that regular season. Just saying!

Megatron, Suh, Fairley and of course Stafford are all heading into their prime together, and playing together for at least 3 years. The compontents to a dynasty are in the works if Stafford can stay healthy, with the young defensive line we have put together.

NBqkq.gif

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Kas never gives up hope. It is impressive

We're about a month away from the prophecies beginning to fulfill themselves. As a Packers fan you laugh out of fear, but the evidence of our Top 5 Offense/QB and our 2011 season have been there for all to see.

Goddamn I can't wait for this season to start.

We're about a month away from the prophecies beginning to fulfill themselves. As a Packers fan you laugh out of fear, but the evidence of our Top 5 Offense/QB and our 2011 season have been there for all to see.

:kas has his calculator ready. Yardage will be amassed and analyzed!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I wish I had 1/3 of the enthusiasm of Kas.

When you've got Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson, Ndamakung Suh, Nick Fairley, Reggie Bush, Nate Burleson, Ryan Broyles, Glover Quinn, Chris Houston, Ezekial Ansah, Tony "The Chef" Scheffler, Brandon Pettigrew etc. etc. its hard not to be enthusastic. This is a young, athletic, exciting team to watch.

If we were going into camp with a Joey Harrington and Jeff Garcia QB battle like we did in 2005 I would still support the Lions as always but this team has a young gunslinging QB and a ferocious defensive line. The recipe for longterm success for any team,

Godslay

Banned

What's going on with Detroit's secondary? Weakest part last year iirc.

rando14

When you've got Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson, Ndamakung Suh, Nick Fairley, Reggie Bush, Nate Burleson, Ryan Broyles, Glover Quinn, Chris Houston, Ezekial Ansah, Tony "The Chef" Scheffler, Brandon Pettigrew etc. etc. its hard not to be enthusastic. This is a young, athletic, exciting team to watch.

If we were going into camp with a Joey Harrington and Jeff Garcia QB battle like we did in 2005 I would still support the Lions as always but this team has a young gunslinging QB and a ferocious defensive line. The recipe for longterm success for any team,

6v8rt.gif

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
What's going on with Detroit's secondary? Weakest part last year iirc.

We got depth and impressions from camp have been solid. We resigned Chris Houston, Louis Delmas (our oft-injured, but talented FS) and signed Glover Quinn from the Texans who I've heard is a solid safety and adds from veteran depth. With our second round pick we picked Darius Slay over Jonathan Banks out of SEC Mississippi State.

Just added depth, which we needed to do. Impressions out of camp for the whole team have been great:

• There was some fierce competition in one-on-one drills between the offensive and defensive linemen today. Second-year offensive tackle Riley Reiff looks outstanding and appears to be carrying the weight he added in the offseason well.

• Early in practice Calvin Johnson blew past cornerback Jonte Green on a deep route. Quarterback Matthew Stafford threw a perfect pass, hitting Johnson in stride 45 yards down the field, but the star receiver couldn't hang on for the touchdown. A rare mistake for Megatron, who was visibly frustrated with himself.

Johnson made up for the mistake later, making an extremely difficult reception deep down the right sideline with both Chris Houston and Glover Quin in tight coverage. The newly acquired safety appeared to have a hand in between Johnson's arms, but it wasn't enough to stop the receiver from overpowering the defensive backs.

• It's early, and who knows what we'll see once we get to the preseason games, but the Lions cornerbacks have been playing far more aggressively with their coverages through the first few practices.

The team is still running a fair share of off-man and zone looks, but there's certainly a greater of percentage of plays where the CBs are up on the line of scrimmage, jamming receivers off the ball. It makes sense given Detroit has bolstered their depth at safety and continued to add size to the secondary.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/07/detroit_lions_training_camp_ob.html

As long as the defensive line puts pressure on the QB, the secondary does not have to do much work, but we added depth at both Safety and DBs this past offseason. I still think we should've gone with Dee Milliner at #5 over Ansah but I think our FO really made it a point to try to not bring in potential locker room cancers.

Godslay

Banned
We got depth and impressions from camp have been solid. We resigned Chris Houston, Louis Delmas (our oft-injured, but talented FS) and signed Glover Quinn from the Texans who I've heard is a solid safety and adds from veteran depth. With our second round pick we picked Darius Slay over Jonathan Banks out of SEC Mississippi State.

Just added depth, which we needed to do. Impressions out of camp for the whole team have been great:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/07/detroit_lions_training_camp_ob.html

As long as the defensive line puts pressure on the QB, the secondary does not have to do much work, but we added depth at both Safety and DBs this past offseason. I still think we should've gone with Dee Milliner at #5 over Ansah but I think our FO really made it a point to try to not bring in potential locker room cancers.

Yeah looks improved over last year. Now the question is can Swartz put it all together? Tough division too. Who knows what can happen though.

all mocking aside the lions have SOME talent, but i think their coaching staff is one of the bottom 5 in the league. talent can only overcome so much, you need to have a good coaching staff or at least a competent one

Drakeon

all mocking aside the lions have SOME talent, but i think their coaching staff is one of the bottom 5 in the league. talent can only overcome so much, you need to have a good coaching staff or at least a competent one

Agreed. Niners had talent through Nolan and Singletary but couldn't sniff the playoffs due to terrible coaching. Lions kind of remind me of that. Although they're about to be in contract hell due to Suh/Stafford/Megatron's contracts all being completely absurd.

effzee

lol, we're really retiring Donny's number at the Chiefs game? That Linc crowd is gonna be hilarious.

They cheered him when he came back as a Redskin. They cheered him during the alumni introduction on the first day of camp. They will cheer him week 3.

Of course there will be some boos and the cheers won't be as loud and crazy as they were for Dawk but the majority will cheer. The minority of fans who flat out hate him as if he ran over their mothers are just that. Its about time they aren't given the stage which they usually get.

Similar to what McNabb said today at the presser about the draft day booing " I'm over it and its time to move past it. It only comes up whenever you guys ask me about it". I hope those fans can let him have his day and recognize that even though he and those teams ultimately came up short, he was the key in turning the franchise around and making them contenders annually. You can both be disappointed by him and still cheer for what he did do.

MechDX

Not bad for a 152 year old man.

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2013-houston-texans-949241404

Your quarterback: Angry kabob vendor Matt Schaub, who is quarterbacking's version of a pitcher who "gives you innings." You have already seen the best of Matt Schaub. He will get no better. You know how Joe Flacco is a boring quarterback who magically improves in the postseason? Matt Schaub is just like that, minus the magic part.

So don't bother trying to tell me you're "long-suffering" or "diehard" or any of that nonsense. Browns fans spit on you. You are actors. You are playing the ROLE of the diehard fan when you can't possibly ever be one. If the Texans had reclaimed the nickname Oilers, maybe it would have been a different story. Instead, they chose the dumbest, lamest nickname in all of team sports, which is why they deserve their counterfeit fanbase. Once Schaub and Foster and J.J. Watt are gone and the team sucks again (and it will), you'll flee Reliant Stadium within seconds, retiring back to your Houston sweatlodges to polish your guns and kick Katrina refugees in the shins

The four worst Texans ever:

1. David Carr

2. David Carr's family

3. Loretta Devine

4. Steve Slaton. Remember that one year when Slaton was a first-round fantasy draft choice and then IMMEDIATELY lost his job? Steve Slaton is a BAG OF SHIT.

Yeah fuck David Carr!

cashman

Banned
So is the vita and so was the original Xbox (and gamecube). Who cares though unless you are a stockholder?

I have never met a reasonable and worthwhile human being who was emotionally attached to their phone or console. Almost everyone that gets into sales age and consoles wars usually looks like Jabba the Hut (either externally or internally). Fuck that. I have a life.

Granted I don't even have a U because it doesn't have a single game I want for it, but why would I care if someone loved it or hated it? All I care about is what I like and I look for like minded (i.e. intelligent) people to find new games and shit that I might like.

I just like poking at snesfreak. I'm definitely getting a wii u after the price drop and ssb4 and mk8 come out.

squicken

I see captive is back defending Schoob, but he is right about that crappy defense. It's weird that Wade couldn't figure something out to slow other teams down. One thing to get lit up by Rodgers and Brady, another by Chad Henne

MechDX

I see captive is back defending Schoob, but he is right about that crappy defense. It's weird that Wade couldn't figure something out to slow other teams down. One thing to get lit up by Rodgers and Brady, another by Chad Henne

3 of the top 4 ILB's went down, they went through 11 ILB's total. In the playoffs it was Bradie James and Barret Ruud starting, neither have a job right now. When Cushing went so did everything Wade likes to do. Cushing was coming into his own at ILB and being recognized as the second best ILB/MLB behind Willis. Cushing went out before the GB game. Combine that with Joseph playing with a double sports hernia and Barwin producing jack and shit makes Watts accomplishments even that more impressive.

They still haven't addressed the ILB issue and I have serious concerns about the OLB position. It is still on Schaub though! if the defense isn't playing up to snuff then him and Kubiak need to dial it up and use all that fucking talent they have on offense.

Wrayfield

I just like poking at snesfreak. I'm definitely getting a wii u after the price drop and ssb4 and mk8 come out.

Pikmin actually looks like a lot of fun. Prolly not quite worth buying the system for, imo, but definitely the first game I'm interested in playing. My gf has a U so I will give it a go as soon as I finish The Last of Us.

Spades

Pikmin actually looks like a lot of fun. Prolly not quite worth buying the system for, imo, but definitely the first game I'm interested in playing. My gf has a U so I will give it a go as soon as I finish The Last of Us.

Pikmin is brilliant. Such a chilled out game and so easy to pick up and play.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah looks improved over last year. Now the question is can Swartz put it all together? Tough division too. Who knows what can happen though.

Spoiler alert: No.

The guy is awful.

So the Dolphins had a scrimmage last night. The part I was most curious about was the o-line, which had Samuda starting at LG and Incognito at RG. Thankfully Pouncey was left at C. It looks like Dallas Thomas is second string at this point.

Also, Tannehill had three TD's and no picks, for whatever that's worth. Wallace and Hartline didn't play. It sounds like Hartline may have tweaked something during warm-ups? Oh boy.

bionic77

We all laugh at KAS but I feel like we used to have way more delusion during the preseason. What's the reason for the drop off?

Milchjon

Pats QBs seem to throw quite a few picks in camp... which totally just means that our secondary is fixed and our D is awesome now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom