• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halo on the other hand...
Whatever dude, Halo 4 had all those crazy new weapons like the alien looking.. uh.. shotgun.. and that crazy alien looking... hmm... uh, sniper rifle, and probably a lot more! It completely reinvented the series.

In all seriousness I did enjoy some Halo 4 multiplayer for awhile but overall the game felt like more Halo to me. I can rarely get into Halo campaigns though, for whatever reason. I finished 4's but it felt pretty ho-hum.

Reading this article about the Pats has me wondering; how many times will we see Brady go off on a receiver this season? He's not going to be taking it easy on all those rookies and inexperienced WR's, so I can foresee quite a bit of tension throughout the year. It'll be interesting to watch.

When you've got Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson, Ndamakung Suh, Nick Fairley, Reggie Bush, Nate Burleson, Ryan Broyles, Glover Quinn, Chris Houston, Ezekial Ansah, Tony "The Chef" Scheffler, Brandon Pettigrew etc. etc. its hard not to be enthusastic. This is a young, athletic, exciting team to watch.

If we were going into camp with a Joey Harrington and Jeff Garcia QB battle like we did in 2005 I would still support the Lions as always but this team has a young gunslinging QB and a ferocious defensive line. The recipe for longterm success for any team,

Don't remind me of that year. We actually had expectations that year lol. Of course we drafted Big Mike Williams.

eznark

Banned
what is this post? shit's like a riddle

Blackmon was 27 right? I guess he is thinking we resigned him and gave him the same number, yet now he is fat?

I don't know, seems like the post of someone who has no clue what they are talking about. Maybe Molly is an FMT alt.

Kas still pretending like 2012 didn't happen. God I love that.

One of the main reasons why I think the Pats will still win the AFC East (besides having Brady and Belichick):

The entire offensive line returns intact, although there could be a competition at right guard, where third-year player Marcus Cannon (6-5, 335) has been working with the top unit while incumbent Dan Connolly (shoulder) works his way back.
It's easy to overlook the o-line stability that the Pats have given all the turmoil they've seen this offseason but at the end of the day it'll be one of the pieces that keeps them a contender, in my opinion.

I really envy having a consistent and dominant o-line, especially as a Dolphins fan.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I feel really good about this Browns team.

Although the last time I felt this optimistic Derek Anderson was cutting up the league...

I now have a home Wallace and an away Jordan. Are we going to have an alternate this year because I could do with a new Tannehill jersey.
I haven't seen anything confirmed but Jared Odrick tweeted this earlier in the month:

Third jersey color???
BPaMmbmCUAA4WO2.jpg

That color would make for a nice jersey but I'd honestly love to see orange alts make a return. I'm super jealous that you have those two jerseys already, though. You should post a picture of the Jordan one!

bionic77

When you guys buy these jerseys when do you wear them?

I only wear a jersey at home or at a friends house watching the game or if I actually go to see a game (usually only go to DC, NY or Philly for games). Just like I feel weird playing a portable in public I also don't go outside wearing my Kobe or Polamalu jerseys.

P.S. Shitty quality Big Ben jersey for sale. Will also accept trades involving Tebow merchandise or memorabilia.

RBH

AR-130729368.jpg&MaxH=337

Late in the evening, long after practice, meetings and film study are over, Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Josh Freeman can often be found at home, lounging on his couch and cradling his beloved Ilithyia in his arms.

Long and slender, with cool, soft, creamy white skin, piercing blue eyes and a name derived from Greek mythology, Ilithyia is among the things Freeman treasures most in life, which just might make your skin crawl.

Ilithyia is not Freeman's wife. She is not his girlfriend or daughter. She is a 4-foot-long, 5-pound pet ball python that Freeman happily admits he fell in love with at first sight.

"She's beautiful,'' Freeman said with a smile. "I mean, she's just so sweet.''

Freeman has surrounded himself with slithering sweetness. He shares his South Tampa home with Ilithyia, 10 other ball pythons and one 6-foot, 30-pound jaguar boa constrictor, though that represents a bit of downsizing.

"I used to have three boa constrictors,'' Freeman said. "But I ended up selling the other two because the couple that feed my snakes when I can't be here didn't like them.

"But that's OK. Boas are sweet, too, and they're really good looking, but they get a little bigger than the ball pythons, so it's a little more work to keep them and take care of them. Besides, ball pythons are my favorite.''

Freeman's passion for the Squamata, or scaled order of reptiles, particularly his love affair with the python species, can be traced to his childhood and the basement of a friend who lived near his family's home in Kansas City.

"I used to run around catching snakes all the time as a kid, and we usually just caught corn snakes or rat snakes or whatever it was that you could find running around in Missouri," Freeman said.

"But one day I went over to a buddy's house to play video games and we were down in his basement and there was this 4-foot-long orange snake. He would just pick it up and play with it and I thought, 'Wow, that is so cool.' "

Freeman's father, Ron, didn't think it was all that cool.

The one-time Orlando Renegades linebacker has always been terrified of snakes. So, when Freeman came home later that day asking to keep one as a pet, Ron balked. So did Freeman's mother, Teresa.

Freeman didn't give up easily. After they sat down as a family and learned about caring for snakes, Ron and Theresa relented.

"They're actually less harmful than a dog," Ron said, referring to the non-venomous ball pythons that have always made up the bulk of Freeman's nest. "If it's 6 or 7 feet, it may be able to bite you, but it won't do the damage a dog will do."

Ron Freeman knows about the damage a dog can do. When he was 8, he was playing near a friend's house when a German Shepherd broke free from its chain and took a chunk out of his left calf. The scar, about 4 to 6 inches long, is still visible.

So, despite his fear of snakes, Ron came to feel comfortable with having them around the house.

"The one thing we wouldn't budge on was no venomous snakes," Ron said. "We weren't going to allow that. But that was never a problem, because Josh never asked for one that was venomous.

"And we learned pretty quickly that a snake will not attack a prey unless it can take its head. It usually won't try to eat anything that's too big for it, so that made us feel a little better and safer.''

Not that Freeman's love of snakes hasn't created some anxious moments.

One night, while Freeman was in high school and away at a party, one of the two ball pythons he kept at the time got out of its cage and began slithering its way down the bedroom stairs just as Ron was ascending them. After finally building up the courage to pick up the stray and take it back to its cage, Ron realized the other one had gotten out, too.

He found that one in the bottom of Freeman's closet under a pile of dirty clothes.

"For the most part, they always stayed in their cages; Josh was good about that," Teresa said. "That's why we let him keep them. He took good care of them. And really, they're very low maintenance."

That's one of the things Freeman likes most about his pet snakes. He feeds them their recommended diet of live mice, but other than that they require very little attention, making them a perfect pet for a quarterback on the go.

"They don't get too big and they're fairly docile," Freeman said. "And you don't have to spend a lot of time with them the way you do a dog or a cat, because they don't show any emotion. I mean, it's a snake. It's not looking for love or affection or for you to go out and play with it.

"They want their meal, and once they've eaten they usually just sort of chill out.''

Snakes might not show any emotion, but snake owners such as Freeman do, especially if one of their snakes goes missing. That happened a few years ago with a snake Freeman had kept since he was a child.

"I got this snake when I was in third grade and I had it all the way through college," Freeman said. "And when I went out to Arizona to start training for the combine after my junior year, I had a friend look after it for me.

"While I was out there I called to check in on it and the guy says, 'Uh, yeah, I lost it.' I was like, 'What?' They do get out, but you can always find them. It just seemed fishy. I haven't talked to that guy again to this day."

Freeman lost one of the snakes in his current nest not long ago. It was missing for weeks. He finally tracked it down one night resting beneath a pile of shelves he was installing in a room in his home.

"I was taking furniture apart looking for that thing," Freeman said. "And then one day, I'm walking upstairs and I see this snake skin on the floor. It had started shedding its skin. A few days later I see more skin, and I'm thinking, 'What is this snake doing?' They're nocturnal, so they always move around at night, looking for food or shelter, and then I found it the next morning.

"I went to pick up one of the shelves to start installing it and there it was all curled up underneath the boards. Scared the crap out of me, too. That snake, it was all over that house."

It's rare that Freeman's snakes slither freely around his home. Most are kept in cages in a climate-controlled room in which the light, temperature and humidity are kept at settings fitting for snakes.

A couple, however, can be found in aquarium tanks in his game room, where their presence can sometimes make it a little more difficult to execute even the simplest of shots during a game of pool.

"If you come over to the house, you wouldn't even know I have snakes, unless you go into the game room,'' Freeman said. "But I usually tell people coming over that I have them, because those things can get out and hide on you.

"I do let them out because they want to move and stuff, but they're all really slow, which is a good thing. And like I said, they're all really docile. That's why they make such good pets. If I'm just hanging out, watching a movie or whatever, that's when I'll hold 'em. Sometimes I'll just hold it in my hands and play with it. Sometimes I just let it sit there on my stomach.

"Like I said, it's cool."
http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/bucs-freeman-charmed-by-pet-snakes-20130727/

Halo on the other hand...
You mean the crowning achievement of game design engineered exclusively for the most advanced series of consoles ever imagined?

I actually am not really a fan. Barely made it halfway through 4 and thought 3 was pretty average. The multiplayer is a lot of fun with friends though.

The Green Bay Press-Gazzette confirms that Eddie Lacy "doesn't look fat."
An unflattering photo that made Lacy look like a cross between Shamoo and 2012 Michael Turner made the rounds on Twitter Monday night. It was just a bad angle. Recent videos of Lacy prove he's in fine shape and making quick cuts. The second-round rookie remains the favorite to open the season as Green Bay's early-down back
lmao

Spades

That color would make for a nice jersey but I'd honestly love to see orange alts make a return. I'm super jealous that you have those two jerseys already, though. You should post a picture of the Jordan one!

It was part of my June pickups photo!

I would love to see an orange one. It would look very nice with the new jersey style. That blue colour would make no sense.

Spades

Also, Tannehill had three TD's and no picks, for whatever that's worth. Wallace and Hartline didn't play. It sounds like Hartline may have tweaked something during warm-ups? Oh boy.

Do you know who the TD's were thrown to? Asking because with Binns out, it seems as if there is a starting slot up for grabs.

andycapps

Oh God, why'd it have to be snakes? The problem with reptiles is that they don't have anything in their brains that helps them to recognize their owner as anything special. They don't get attached like dogs or cats do. They can turn on you just as soon as they're big enough to swallow you.

Also, I hate snakes. Also, he's probably going to be another asshole that releases his snakes when they get too big for his house.

KingGondo

Banned
I feel really good about this Browns team.

Although the last time I felt this optimistic Derek Anderson was cutting up the league...
If you believe the PD reports, Kruger and Sheard are absolutely beasting, and the play in the secondary has been much better as well. Little can also apparently catch now, so that's cool.

Do you know who the TD's were thrown to? Asking because with Binns out, it seems as if there is a starting slot up for grabs.
Charles Clay (24 yards), Dustin Keller (14), and Daniel Thomas (9). No WR's, so he's obviously picking up where he left off last season, haha.

I did see some positive comments about Chad Bumphis (what a name) though, who apparently had 2 catches for 41 yards.

eznark

Banned
You mean the crowning achievement of game design engineered exclusively for the most advanced series of consoles ever imagined?

I actually am not really a fan. Barely made it halfway through 4 and thought 3 was pretty average. The multiplayer is a lot of fun with friends though.

I just find it amusing that you're happy to give an essentially annual franchise a chance each new c/p job yet with the third Pikmin in what, 15 years, you're like "nooooooooope Nintendo just making the same ol' game!"

Pikmin mp is so fucking gooooooooood. Of course, there is no online mp is there? Nintendo is the worst.

bionic77

Oh God, why'd it have to be snakes? The problem with reptiles is that they don't have anything in their brains that helps them to recognize their owner as anything special. They don't get attached like dogs or cats do. They can turn on you just as soon as they're big enough to swallow you.

Also, I hate snakes. Also, he's probably going to be another asshole that releases his snakes when they get too big for his house.
So no different than cats!

I am also anti snakes btw. Fuckers give me the creeps.

KingGondo

Banned

Spades

Charles Clay (24 yards), Dustin Keller (14), and Daniel Thomas (9). No WR's, so he's obviously picking up where he left off last season, haha.

I did see some positive comments about Chad Bumphis (what a name) though, who apparently had 2 catches for 41 yards.

Good to see Keller getting in on the action.

Spades

Sounds like Jordan had a good scrimmage with 2 recorded sacks as well. I'm expecting big things from our D this year, even if it takes a few games for the O to get going.

MechDX

How friendly

They do it to every team. Have to laugh at yourself every once in a while.

Why your team sucks: It's another season with the same aging core of offensive talent (Schaub, Andre Johnson, Foster, Owen Daniels)—a group of players good enough to go 11-5, win the division, and bow out meekly in the playoffs to a team that actually knows what it's doing. You can watch the Texans all season long and think to yourself, Hey! They're kind of not shitty! THAT COULD BE A TEAM THAT GOES PLACES! You can talk yourself into thinking that they're ready to unseat a traditional AFC superpower. You can get really excited about that prospect! You can envision them dethroning the Patriots in your mind and it SEEMS so very plausible. And then the time comes for them to actually play and they fall behind 31-13 before you've even had a chance to open up a bag of chips. And you think to yourself, God, I'm so dumb! I should have known that they had no fucking prayer!

Every Texan fan in the last 10 years has felt this way at one point.

Sounds like Jordan had a good scrimmage with 2 recorded sacks as well. I'm expecting big things from our D this year, even if it takes a few games for the O to get going.
Me too, man. The d-line is the strongest part of the team by far and they have a ton of depth, the secondary is improved from last season (particularly with Grimes recovering better than expected so far), and the linebackers should be faster and more capable of creating turnovers. Plus, I like Coyle's job as d-coordinator so far. There is a lot to like with this group and at the moment I'm not seeing any big holes.

Bread

Banned
They do it to every team. Have to laugh at yourself every once in a while.

Every Texan fan in the last 10 years has felt this way at one point.
Thankfully the Texans are in the same spot as last year and are a threat to no team in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom