• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colasante

Thankfully the Texans are in the same spot as last year and are a threat to no team in the league.

I don't think that's accurate. Like always, it comes down to matchups. I thought the Texans were a little overrated when they were hot last season, but they did dispatch the Ravens and Broncos with relative ease. I think the Texans simply don't match up well with the Patriots, but if they went up against other AFC teams in the playoffs, they could easily get to the Super Bowl if things went their way.

MechDX

Thankfully the Texans are in the same spot as last year and are a threat to no team in the league.

Thanks for the positive thoughts!

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli

Ed Reed Says "if dre said it, then it shall be" on Johnson's declaration he'd start week 1. #Texans

"Physically for where I'm at I feel good." Ed reed #Texans

You damn right Ed.

Reading this article about the Pats has me wondering; how many times will we see Brady go off on a receiver this season? He's not going to be taking it easy on all those rookies and inexperienced WR's, so I can foresee quite a bit of tension throughout the year. It'll be interesting to watch.
depends on how often her period falls on Sundays.

MechDX

I don't think that's accurate. Like always, it comes down to matchups. I thought the Texans were a little overrated when they were hot last season, but they did dispatch the Ravens and Broncos with relative ease. I think the Texans simply don't match up well with the Patriots, but if they went up against other AFC teams in the playoffs, they could easily get to the Super Bowl if things went their way.

The Pat games were the prime examples of the impact of the loss of Cushing. He just allows Wade to do so many different things because of his coverage abilities. Pats TE's tore us up because we had AARP members at ILB.

Hunter S.

The Patriots have never had a younger and less experienced group at receiver since Brady took over in 2001. The top nine receivers in camp – that also includes Matthew Slater, Lavelle Hawkins, and an injured Julian Edelman – average 25.78 years old, with 4.22 years of NFL experience.

The Patriots have never had a younger and less experienced group at receiver since Brady took over in 2001. The top nine receivers in camp – that also includes Matthew Slater, Lavelle Hawkins, and an injured Julian Edelman – average 25.78 years old, with 4.22 years of NFL experience.

As the decade progressed and those veterans moved on, he had Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Deion Branch, and Jabar Gaffney, who each arrived in New England as polished, finished products. Last year’s group had an average age of 28.5 with 6.83 years of experience.

Love this article on the Patriots. Even Boston's media seems to be melancholy about the team. God news for the Texans and anyone sick of Patriots in the post-season. Praise Tebow if Miami and the Jets beat them out of the playoffs.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...or-patriots/PSK2KLYthA0JT0xNr4gMTJ/story.html

Colasante

Love this article on the Patriots. Even Boston's media seems to be melancholy about the team. God news for the Texans and anyone sick of Patriots in the post-season. Praise Tebow if Miami and the Jets beat them out of the playoffs.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...or-patriots/PSK2KLYthA0JT0xNr4gMTJ/story.html

I don't think Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, Ed Dickson, Visanthe Shiancoe, Tandon Doss, Deonte Thompson, and Tommy Streeter are considerably, if at all, better than Danny Amendola, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, Kenbrell Thompkins, Julian Edelman, Daniel Fells, and Jake Ballard. Do you really believe so?

I don't think Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, Ed Dickson, Visanthe Shiancoe, Tandon Doss, Deonte Thompson, and Tommy Streeter are considerably, if at all, better than Danny Amendola, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, Kenbrell Thompkins, Julian Edelman, Daniel Fells, and Jake Ballard. Do you really believe so?

You think Thompkins makes the team? Seems to be between him, Jenkins and Aiken for the last WR spot.

Colasante

You think Thompkins makes the team? Seems to be between him, Jenkins and Aiken for the last WR spot.

I think so. They could cut Jenkins and Aiken and still have use for them- Jenkins as a street WR ready to come in after week 2, when his salary isn't guaranteed, and Aiken on the practice squad, but reports about Thompkins have generally been too glowing. I think he'd be claimed by another team if they cut him. If Edelman stays out, I wouldn't be surprised if he landed on the PUP list and they saw what they had with Thompkins for at least the first six weeks.

But Halo 3 broke weapons and had shitty maps.
harbull.gif

xnipx

Torrey Smith is 2x better than all those other players. Plus you're forgetting security blanket Ray Rice. Flaccid will have a way better year than Brady. Even without Pitta. I'd put money on it b

Bread

Banned
Torrey Smith is 2x better than all those other players. Plus you're forgetting security blanket Ray Rice. Flaccid will have a way better year than Brady. Even without Pitta. I'd put money on it b
hahahahaahhaahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hunter S.

No. But, you are first hoping Gronkowski is healthy for a majority of the season. Stats do point out he increased New England point per game a lot when playing. If he returns soon he still lacks a talented partner that made the NE system work so well. The point was that the group is the least experienced ever not that he lacked big name players before. It just seems the offense will be a lot less dominate.

Pats fans have no class.

Torrey Smith says Patriots fans taunted him about his brother's death

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...out-his-dead-brother-20130123,0,1853792.story

Bread

Banned
No. But, you are first hoping Gronkowski is healthy for a majority of the season. Stats do point out he increased New England point per game a lot when playing. If he returns soon he still lacks a talented partner that made the NE system work so well. The point was that the group is the least experienced ever not that he lacked big name players before. It just seems the offense will be a lot less dominate.
The NE system has worked well without Hernandez...

Besides, the Pats had a really good running game last year, Ridley and Vereen will be great. You underestimate just how good the rest of the offense is.

Colasante

By what metric? Do you think Flacco will have more passing yards, passing touchdowns, less interceptions, a higher QB rating, a higher Total QBR, more wins? I can see the Ravens having more wins than the Patriots, but I personally don't see Flacco having better numbers than Brady in any of the other categories.

Joe Flacco has never thrown for more than 25 TDs or 3,817 yards in a season. I think Brady is likely to top both of those numbers this year, even with the weakest receiving corps he's had since 2006.

MechDX

I know its training camp and all but even Lance Z really likes Hopkins

http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/texans-tuesday-morning-camp

DeAndre Hopkins came into the draft as the WR whom I believed was the most NFL-ready of the early round players. "Nuk" has solid hands, has enough game speed to get behind defenses and he's showing that his ability to get out of his breaks is creating separation that the Texans didn't usually see with Kevin Walter. While it is very early into camp and the pressure will ratchet up, the thing that has impressed me most with Hopkins is that he looks very comfortable on the field and he doesn't appear to be pressing much at all.

In one-on-one drills against the CBs, Hopkins made an difficult grab in the corner of the endzone with Roc Carmichael hanging all over him. In the team portion down during redzone scrimmage against the defensive starters, Hopkins ran an out that shook Johnathan Joseph and created enough space for Matt Schaub to make a comfortable throw before Hopkins went out near the goal line. Hopkins ability to threaten defenses down the field, with quick-release fades near the end zone and over the middle should give the Texans as potent a passing attack as we have seen over the last 2 or 3 season.

For fantasy football owners out there who are devouring everything they can in preparation for their drafts/auctions, anything less than 50 catches for Hopkins would seem disappointing to me at this early stage. In reality, I think 52-60 catches is a very reasonable goal for Hopkins and I could see him with even more if Schaub continues to develop confidence in the young wideout throughout camp and in the pre-season.

Lance doesn't just praise players based on their draft position.

The opposite of training camp optimism:

Cam has bad day

Cam Newton threw two interceptions, and nearly a third Tuesday in his worst practice of training camp.

Newton, the Panthers' franchise quarterback, was picked off on the first play of a team passing drill by cornerback Captain Munnerlyn, who returned the interception for a touchdown.

Newton was looking for Armanti Edwards on an out route along the left sideline. But he didn't get enough zip on the ball, and Munnerlyn broke in front of Edwards.

Munnerlyn almost had another pick on a poor throw by Newton, who has had a good camp before Tuesday. Linebacker Chase Blackburn had the defense's other interception on a Newton pass across the middle.

FUCK

Get rid of this bum Scam. #TANKFORBRIDGEWATER2013

I just find it amusing that you're happy to give an essentially annual franchise a chance each new c/p job yet with the third Pikmin in what, 15 years, you're like "nooooooooope Nintendo just making the same ol' game!"

Pikmin mp is so fucking gooooooooood. Of course, there is no online mp is there? Nintendo is the worst.

When have I said anything about being a Halo fan in the first place, and where did I support it over Pikmin? I've played all of the Pikmin games whereas I've literally only played 2 of the Halo games and was never head over heels about it. I dont think I'm the guy you think I am, but that's OK , I dont mind playing along.

Anyway, Bioshock DLC looks amazing. Noir/detective story in pre-collapse Rapture? YES, please

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Cam has bad day

FUCK

Not fully related to this:

But can someone post that hilarious Captain Munerlyn pic from the beginning of the season someone found?

It was Captain on Roddy White I believe and they shrunk him down to like 2 feet tall and it looked hilarious with him trying to tackle Roddy.

Bowser

Cam has bad day

FUCK

I blame part of this on Kalil and Smith getting the day off. Our first team WRs were LaFell and Armanti Edwards (;_; Smitty don't ever get hurt 4realpls) and without Kalil our OL was starting Hangman at C and Byers at RG (and by all accounts were getting their shit pushed in time and time again).

Not fully related to this:

But can someone post that hilarious Captain Munerlyn pic from the beginning of the season someone found?

It was Captain on Roddy White I believe and they shrunk him down to like 2 feet tall and it looked hilarious with him trying to tackle Roddy.

tXLNK.jpg

It's terrible to talk about his dead brother and all, but that was over a year ago and Smith loves to keep bringing it up as much as possible, just to show how terrible Pats fans are (Not that they were the only one saying shit like that, but that's not the point).

Dude goes out on twitter calling out the Patriots and their fans for no reason, calling out people their mothers (because he's so classy), and then gets upset that people respond to him, calling him out on his shit. And when people fire back at him, he quickly pulls out the dead brother card again.

Torrey 'Captain Pushoff' Smith is a douche.

I think so. They could cut Jenkins and Aiken and still have use for them- Jenkins as a street WR ready to come in after week 2, when his salary isn't guaranteed, and Aiken on the practice squad, but reports about Thompkins have generally been too glowing. I think he'd be claimed by another team if they cut him. If Edelman stays out, I wouldn't be surprised if he landed on the PUP list and they saw what they had with Thompkins for at least the first six weeks.

Wish Mark Harrison was healthy to see what he can do. I can't wait to see it all unfold. Dobson is having a good camp it seems, but it's going to be interesting to see how he actually performs during a real game.

Fantomex

Brennan Williams. Fucker got hurt in OTA's.

He is just passionate about the game and he doesn't come off as a homer like some other Texans writers/bloggers. One of the few media people here who will openly criticize the organization when warranted.

Man, son. At least he gets to catch up on all the Anime that's been coming out.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I blame part of this on Kalil and Smith getting the day off. Our first team WRs were LaFell and Armanti Edwards (;_; Smitty don't ever get hurt 4realpls) and without Kalil our OL was starting Hangman at C and Byers at RG (and by all accounts were getting their shit pushed in time and time again).

tXLNK.jpg

kid-birthday-hat-gif.gif

Anyway, Bioshock DLC looks amazing. Noir/detective story in pre-collapse Rapture? YES, please
There's nothing funnier than Levine's giant ego inflating development costs on a game that should have realistically been delivered in 2-3 years and then being forced to co-opt that vision post-hoc.

The irony is just...

DfZzomq.gif

I get hard just thinking about it.

There's nothing funnier than Levine's giant ego inflating development costs on a game that should have realistically been delivered in 2-3 years and then being forced to co-opt that vision post-hoc.

The irony is just...

DfZzomq.gif

I get hard just thinking about it.

I'm not following. What is he co-opting?

xnipx

By what metric? Do you think Flacco will have more passing yards, passing touchdowns, less interceptions, a higher QB rating, a higher Total QBR, more wins? I can see the Ravens having more wins than the Patriots, but I personally don't see Flacco having better numbers than Brady in any of the other categories.

Joe Flacco has never thrown for more than 25 TDs or 3,817 yards in a season. I think Brady is likely to top both of those numbers this year, even with the weakest receiving corps he's had since 2006.

Yards, TDs, completion %, interceptions(more unfortunately but not by much)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom